• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Sony to announce PS4 Slim and Neo next month (Playstation Meeting)

jbug617

Banned
http://www.wsj.com/articles/sony-to-sell-updated-model-of-standard-playstation-4-1471833069

Sony Corp. plans to introduce a new PlayStation 4 standard model alongside a high-end version next month, people familiar with the matter said, in an effort to maintain demand for the best-selling videogame console.

With the release of the two models, Sony hopes to attract hard-core fans and more casual users to its videogame platform, analysts said. The company has been trying to build a community of users so that it can earn consistent revenue from subscriptions and software downloads.

Sony has said that it would hold a news conference at the PlayStation Theater in New York on Sept. 7. A Sony spokesman said the company would talk about the PlayStation 4 business at the news conference.

Sony said in June that it planned to introduce a high-end version of PlayStation 4 with enhanced graphics capabilities, but it hasn’t publicly discussed plans to refresh its standard model.

Cutting the production of OG PS4
Ahead of the September news conference, Sony has cut production of PlayStation 4 to adjust inventory, people familiar with the matter said. Several major e-commerce websites in Japan, including Sony’s own e-commerce site, said the PlayStation 4 was out of stock.

PlayStation 4 sales have been weaker in Japan than in the U.S. Data from videogame magazine publisher Famitsu showed sales of the console in Japan have been declining slightly in recent weeks. Nevertheless, stocks of the device are likely to run out as the company limits production.

“The white model was gone two weeks ago and we just sold our last black model in stock,” said the chief of the videogame floor at a major electronics store in Tokyo. “Our central purchasing department warned us we wouldn’t get any for now because the item is simply not in distribution channels.”

3d29725e377ea47216a4670d48fbd654590631ce_hq.gif

Can't wait to see the price.

I was thinking "I think we figured WSJ ;)", but yeah it's more of the exclusion of any mention of a portable that's more noteworthy IMO.

*Referring to the "PSP like device" that was floating around for the past day I mean. :)

Bummer they're phasing out the original, it's definitely cooler looking than the leaked images of the slim design IMO. Maybe the Neo will look pretty sweet though!

Unknown?

Yup that also makes their lack of new bundles and the continuity of the Black Ops bundle more sensible. They didn't make lots of new bundles because they were planning on launching new hardware.

Consistent with the Slim being the new standard PS4 (smart move IMO). A $249 price tag would be sweet, but if Sony surprises with a $199 price then that would be a major blow to its competitors.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Vita 2 would have to be a pretty tightly held secret if WSJ didn't report on it. I figure they would at least mention it if they had heard about it while researching for this story about the PS4 and this event, even if PS4 was the focus of the story. I guess we'll find out, though.

I'm very curious what the pricing of the Slim will be... I'm guessing $299, with $249 being a game-changing surprise that would likely lead to some insane holiday sales. But I expect $299. I also expect Neo at $399, likely with a price drop by next holiday to $349 (or just great bundles) if Scorpio is $399. But I think Scorpio could be $449 or $499.

RoKKeR

For some reason, the Slim makes me feel like the Neo will be a ways off yet, perhaps next Spring. This is based on nothing of any substance...

jbug617

Banned
Yup that also makes their lack of new bundles and the continuity of the Black Ops bundle more sense. They didn't make lots of new bundles because they were planning on launching new hardware.

yeah you would of think there might of been a Destiny bundle again.

Unknown?

Consistent with the Slim being the new standard PS4 (smart move IMO). A $249 price tag would be sweet, but if Sony surprises with a $199 price then that would be a major blow to its competitors.

$249 would be a blow to its competitors. It has been outselling its closest competitor at $50 more and being $50 less will substantially outsell everything

vin-buc

The leaked pics look legit - I think that's what we're getting. I'm happy with it but no rear sub ports and no optical out?

Anyhow - I like the look but I hope noise levels are beyond "acceptable".

OG trade-in prices are gonna tumble - not from Neo but from Slim.

ggx2ac

Just noting that the writer of the article is Takashi MOCHIZUKI who broke news about NX twice once last year and this year in case anyone is doubting the article.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So OG PS4 is gone now, and budget slim and NEO will take over until PS5. Makes sense.

I think they could have cut NEO and just had a Xbox One S style 4K capable, UHDBR slimline until PS5 though.

Oh well. Slim will i'm thinking be 249 at 500GB, NEO 399

sense

For some reason, the Slim makes me feel like the Neo will be a ways off yet, perhaps next Spring. This is based on nothing of any substance...
And it will be a dumb business move. You should have it all out this holiday so the consumer has every choice available and they can pick what they want especially if you are going to be underpowered compared to Scorpio. If they are thinking about releasing next year then they might as well wait till the end of the year and release a machine equal to or more powerful than Scorpio.

WiiU0706

Thats great for Sony Fans and All but why can't any one of these guys break news about the Nintendo NX Reveal or Form Factors :/

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
It's gonna be $300, guys. $250? Come on now. I ain't talkin' about no Wii. This is the PS Quadruple Slim.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Just noting that the writer of the article is Takashi MOCHIZUKI who broke news about NX twice once last year and this year in case anyone is doubting the article.

I hope he has an article about NX's reveal coming soon.

Top Bottom