• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX prototype had a 6.2" 720p multi-touch screen, 2 USB ports on dock

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sooner I found out what this machine is, the better. I keep wanting to buy 3DS titles and a new 3DS, but I want to wait for the NX to see if that's where I want to jump all in.

I wonder if Nintendo will try and have on screen buttons as an option. Would make the system more portable. Bayonetta 2 had a touch screen only mode, battery overlay might be doable as an option
Something like Captain Toad that never has you moving the camera while moving your character at the same time could work. Any turn based JRPG like Pokemon might as well (unless they make it more 3D with free form camera controls)
6 inches is pretty big giving enough space for the buttons.

Neoxon

Tomorrow is a big day. It's the start of a new week, which means news for a potential reveal...I hate the weekends now lol
Oneweeklater.jpg

BDGAME

She says at least 2x the power of Wii U is interesting because it depends of what kind of power she believes Wii U have.

Most of internet sites assume that Wii U have 350 GFlops, so, 2x is 700 GFlops.

One thing I barely read is about the CPU. Can NX have a CPU better than the Xbox one?

She says at least 2x the power of Wii U is interesting because it depends of what kind of power she believes Wii U have.

One thing I barely read is about the CPU. Can NX have a CPU better than the Xbox one?
Yeah, LCGeek said it's more powerful but we don't know.
Xbox and ps4 don't have particularly great CPUs, but Nintendo has noted that a better CPU is needed at least in Wii U wise .

What if the screen is foldable? heh
With the sizes of pico projectors these days? In the realm of possibility.

Will they do it instead of using an LCD screen? No.

However, there's a fair amount of people that take the Eurogamer report literally and imagine an use case in which the detachable controllers are used to play multiplayer on the go. Even with this 6.2'' screen is not that practical. However, a decent quality pico projector would help with that as you project an image of decent size. Even with the obvious lighting problems for such a setup i think the biggest issue would be price anyways.

Coo to think about it however and there's lots of thinks Nintendo could do with this technology. Maybe it's in the cards when costs permit.

Can we see NX games that are super sampled? (Or is it Down sampled?) I know people say 4K on a 1080p monitor looks really good, is that doable on the handheld? Maybe for games like Smash that's what they'll do

Snakeyes

Does the patent cover attaching the infrared controllers to the top and bottom of the device in portrait mode? Could be neat for shmups, puzzle games and visual novels.

antonz

Been reported the CPU is noticeably better than PS4 and XBO. Which isn't too surprising based on what both MS and Sony used. Nintendo also learned a hard lesson with the Wii U and having a underpowered CPU.

Wii U itself has a 176gflop GPU. Numerically it looks inferior but its a more advanced GPU with better optimization etc. than the PS3/360 so it outperforms them. NX will probably be in the 400-600gflop range. 768gflops is what Parker tops out at right now with a standard 2SM layout.

Been reported the CPU is noticeably better than PS4 and XBO. Which isn't too surprising based on what both MS and Sony used. Nintendo also learned a hard lesson with the Wii U and having a underpowered CPU.

Wii U itself has a 176gflop GPU. Numerically it looks inferior but its a more advanced GPU with better optimization etc. than the PS3/360 so it outperforms them. NX will probably be in the 400-600gflop range. 768gflops is what Parker tops out at right now with a standard 2SM layout.

The NX could simultaneously be the weakest and most powerful console on the market, depending on whether you look at the GPU or the CPU.

BuggyMike

It's good to be a few days away from September. This will likely be the month we get a reveal, or some major leaks. It's pretty much down to this coming month where things should finally start to happen, weather Nintendo want it to or not. TGS is on it's way, so publishers will likely want to announce more games for NX, and I don't think Nintendo can keep a lid on the leaks for much longer. I'm very impressed with their ability to keep us in the dark like this, they're way too good at it, but they can't push their luck and have the entire concept given away before they can make a big splash with an event. We're close ladies and gents, so damn close.

ozfunghi

The trackpad suggestion wouldn't work as you think when you consider MCN design carefully since the botton part of the device that is not the detachable controller is with the rest of the top part when docked. Remember the cartridge slot and battery are in there.

Not sure what the difference is between two detachable controllers on each side, or one detachable controller on the bottom (half of the clamshell). Yes, it would need its own battery in that case. Maybe it could be a battery expansion that can charging in the dock when the tablet is not docked, and when you dock the tablet, you swap the tablet with the battery. Just thinking out loud. In any case, should the detachable controllers be able to be used when detached, they would always need a battery. In which case i don't see the issue for a trackpad.

Doctre81

It having a better cpu is almost a certainty. Especially if it uses X2.

Gleethor

Can we see NX games that are super sampled? (Or is it Down sampled?) I know people say 4K on a 1080p monitor looks really good, is that doable on the handheld? Maybe for games like Smash that's what they'll do

I was actually wondering this too. Would result in really great IQ.

In terms of graphics/performance, what most relies on CPU/can be done on a better CPU vs GPU?

It's not always 100% cut and dried, but typically the GPU handles graphics related processing while the CPU handles everything else. The most notable CPU related tasks that developers can use as a "show off" item are physics and AI. The CPU could also use that extra horsepower for running background apps.

Branduil

Do any portable (vita/mobile) games do this? If it always rendered at 1080p then it wouldn't really be limited by 720p screen when docked. Would be pretty interesting and doable, I'd think.

A number of 3DS games run with 2x SSAA in 2D mode. Of course there's a big difference between 240p with supersampling and 720p.

So it looks like that 5GHz Wifi for something from Sony was confirmed to be for the PS4 Slim

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1270869

Unless specified otherwise.

So it just narrows that PSP-like device to either a Chinese Handheld Android device or supposedly the NX.

What reasons would this device be supposedly the NX?

-The worker probably saw a prototype model if it didn't have any branding on it.

- He assumed it was a Sony device because if he saw something with two screens, he probably would have identified it as a 3DS.

- If he knew what the Wii U Gamepad was since Wii U's are manufactured at Foxconn, he could have identified it as that.

So the speculation is: If it's the NX, it would have been smaller than a Wii U Gamepad.

However, it's just as likely that this PSP-like device is just a Chinese Android Handheld because there wasn't any funny description about the controllers since we assume them to be detachable.

So at this point, there's not much to go off of unless that Foxconn worker can leak more about it.

Edit: To misidentify something is possible. If you saw an unbranded Wii U Pro Controller with no details on what the buttons are. You'd think it was a new Xbox 360 controller if the Wii U hadn't been revealed yet.

NVM, I miss read -___-

A number of 3DS games run with 2x SSAA in 2D mode. Of course there's a big difference between 240p with supersampling and 720p.
Huh, didn't know that. Just thought it would be strange for a port of a Wii U game on a system that's ~2x more powerful than Wii U to run at half the resolution. Either always run at 1080p always or enable it in the dock. Not sure which would be harder to do or have the best results in terms of battery. Would also be strange to limit what a game could achieve just to enable 1080p on the TV so maybe they can do it like 3DS where the resolution is kind of doubled in 3D but the frame rate is doubled in 2D on the fly.

If rumors and speculation are to be believed about the NX. Nintendo would be crazy not to have Mario Maker NX at launch. The ability to create Mario levels at home and then be able to take it on the go and have your friends play Mario levels created would be a major selling point, good word of mouth and in person interaction as well as the online component. MM NX could also allow you to create two player levels.

J@hranimo

Banned
I'm betting even with said rumors about porting Mario Maker NX, I highly doubt it happen.

It'd be pretty cool if they pulled it off though. That's a possible few million Wii U owners right there and checks off the "2D Mario title" in a sense lol.

Ryoku

Huh, didn't know that. Just thought it would be strange for a port of a Wii U game on a system that's ~2x more powerful than Wii U to run at half the resolution. Either always run at 1080p always or enable it in the dock. Not sure which would be harder to do or have the best results in terms of battery. Would also be strange to limit what a game could achieve just to enable 1080p on the TV so maybe they can do it like 3DS where the resolution is kind of doubled in 3D but the frame rate is doubled in 2D on the fly.
Gotta take into account that rendering at 1080p will use up more battery power.
EDIT: Nvm. If not 1080p, that extra performance would likely be used elsewhere.
Maybe.

udivision

If rumors and speculation are to be believed about the NX. Nintendo would be crazy not to have Mario Maker NX at launch. The ability to create Mario levels at home and then be able to take it on the go and have your friends play Mario levels created would be a major selling point, good word of mouth and in person interaction as well as the online component. MM NX could also allow you to create two player levels.

If SMM didn't already exist, it'd be a big deal. I can't see it having much impact otherwise, unless they made a smartphone app as well.

I'm betting even with said rumors about porting Mario Maker NX, I highly doubt it happen.

It'd be pretty cool if they pulled it off though. That's a possible few million Wii U owners right there and checks off the "2D Mario title" in a sense lol.
I think it's a sure thing (along with Smash). It's the type of game that would've sold millions more on 3DS, so with hardware that can handle it and that has a more engaging hook, it should get the exposure it deserved the first time. And its service-oriented focus means it'll have a long tail, which Nintendo always values.

It would also be a showcase for NX's enhanced controls and multiplayer focus, so I'm thinking pack-in.

Not so sure about the Splatoon and Mario Kart rumors. Those seem like the type of games they'd just rush out sequels for to capitalize on things.

Neoxon

I think it's a sure thing (along with Smash). It's the type of game that would've sold millions more on 3DS, so with hardware that can handle it and that has a more engaging hook, it should get the exposure it deserved the first time. And its service-oriented focus means it'll have a long tail, which Nintendo always values.

It would also be a showcase for NX's enhanced controls and multiplayer focus, so I'm thinking pack-in.

Not so sure about the Splatoon and Mario Kart rumors. Those seem like the type of games they'd just rush out sequels for to capitalize on things.
Emily Rogers recently went on record saying that the Super Mario Maker (& Splatoon) port(s) may not happen thanks to issues with Wii U connectivity.

With a screen that big I wonder if Nintendo will try and implement more "touch screen only" modes to make games more portable. The screen's size should allow for plenty of space for buttons and they can probably adjust some gameplay aspects in order to better suite the system.
Bayonetta, for example, lowers the difficulty in order to make it more playable. The game isn't really impacted negatively by this inclusion even if it's mostly useless.
Mario Kart can enable auto drifting instead of manual.
A game like 3D Land/World and captain toad have fairly simple control schemes and are beatable with just two buttons.
There are other options like touch screen only games like Kirby and the Rainbow curse and maybe some indie mobile ports. I imagine a large amount of 3DS games could support this feature and be fine. Visual Novels like Ace Attorney and DanganRonpa can be completed without any buttons and I'm fairly certain 90% of turn based JRPGs can be played very well with a touch screen only. Any game without camera controls can probably fair quite well.
I think this is all fine as long as it doesn't detract from the main experience and giving people more options and not requiring the detachable controllers for on the go play might prove beneficial as it would make the system considerably smaller.

Instead of a handheld with a smart phone size, Nintendo could push it as a tablet size.
Or sell multiple screens and give the consumer the choice
Like the regular and XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom