• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: NX to use carts. Analysts have said an announcement could be prior to TGS

When will Nintendo unveil the NX?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thanks Dystify for the quotes (and others for the find :p) in the other thread!

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nintend...go-retro-with-videogame-cartridges-1472811942

Choice quotes:

TOKYO— Nintendo Co. plans to adopt cartridges for its next-generation videogame console, people familiar with the matter said, a step that might prompt a reassessment of the old-school format.

However, chip-based cartridges are garnering renewed attention thanks to fierce competition among semiconductor makers including Samsung Electronics Co. and Toshiba Corp. to develop flash memory that can pack more data onto small chips at a lower cost.

Industry watchers said cartridges were a reasonable choice for Nintendo’s next-generation system, code-named NX, because the company targets a wider range of consumers than Sony or Microsoft.

They are “no doubt today’s best format to physically distribute games,” said Atsushi Osanai, a former Sony employee who is now a visiting fellow at Harvard University.

Analysts have said an announcement could come ahead of the Tokyo Game Show, which begins Sept. 15.

Fingers crossed for the potential announcement timing... if true. But are the analysts speculating, or have they heard that?

Smellycat

Not surprising. Like I said in another thread, the Wii controller was revealed the day before TGS started in 2005

Kathian

Banned
The analyst thing is purely conjecture and the cartridge thing is known but also obvious for a new handheld.

LewieP

A real shame. There is a warmth you get when playing a game off a disc that you can't really replicate with flash based storage.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
None of this is new, right?

This seems to be the same thing several threads have been about... as if publications are using each other as "sources" at this point.

Kinda feels like this...

36472145.jpg

Edit: LOL i just noticed the typo in the image.

Jebusman

Banned
A real shame. There is a warmth you get when playing a game off a disc that you can't really replicate with flash based storage.

At the same time, in today's culture, I'd wager people have more association with cartridges (and flash based media) than they do with a disc.

We live in a world of SD cards and USB drives.

Guymelef

Industry watchers said cartridges were a reasonable choice for Nintendo’s next-generation system, code-named NX, because the company targets a wider range of consumers than Sony or Microsoft.

How do you target wider range of consumers without Blu-Ray compatibility etc?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I hope analysts are as right as they were back when they speculated the PS4 Slim :p

Kouriozan

Nintendo better reveal it soon indeed, some are getting crazy with the NX news thirst.
Cart confirmation is nice, I guess.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I miss the spinning noise already. Remember all those games that boot up and it seemed like an airplane turbine?

Or the fun things developers did with loading screens? Story bits and all of that.

And how can we forget the scratches and disc cleaners.

Those were the days.

E-phonk

Banned
Would an announcement (not reveal) before TGS of the reveal date be enough?
I'd wagger they might want JPN developers announcing certain games will also be available for NX, even if they don't show the device first.

Skux

When they say "cartridges" I hope they mean "SD cards". There is really no reason to return to Gameboy-size plastic blocks.

ec0ec0

If you can't read the article by clicking the link in the OP, copy paste the tittle of the article on google and click on the link. You should be able to read it now.

Genio88

When they say "cartridges" I hope they mean "SD cards". There is really no reason to return to Gameboy-size plastic blocks.

NX cartridges will likely have the same form factor and size of the 3DS ones, who knows, perhaps they'll manage to make them even smaller

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Guys an analyst isn't an insider, an analyst just speculates based on what he thinks and knows, he may be right but don't hold your breath.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I guess by 'SD cards' you mean SD-card-form-factor, as SD cards (the storage) are flash-only, and nintendo will most likely use mask ROM.

Phoenixus

I'll miss the smooth edges of the WiiU discs, but as someone who likes as little loading time as possible in a game, am more than happy for the Cartridge format to come back fully.

LewieP

I was satirising attitudes towards listening to music on vinyl, a format that people have nostalgia for but is not the most practical method for listening to music on these days.

Because that's pretty much the mindset of anyone arguing that flash media is worse for games that discs.

Top Bottom