• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

BadWolf

Also really wanted Ramon to pick people up after his command throw
op but idc lol

That would have been great hehe but he already has a pretty nice number of things that he can OTG off of.

Tbh the distance he throws his opponent with his command grab and the recovery after really ends his pressure often times.

Just don't DP or whatever if it's only the first slash or you'll be pretty sad.

The animations are the same but the single lp one gives a lot more pushback, which is the easiest way to tell the difference.

The EX one has a gap after the first slash as well, btw.

The EX one is very unsafe on block iirc, block and punish with a combo.

Numb

Just don't DP or whatever if it's only the first slash or you'll be pretty sad.

The animations are the same but the single lp one gives a lot more pushback, which is the easiest way to tell the difference.

The EX one has a gap after the first slash as well, btw.
Will test it

That would have been great hehe but he already has a pretty nice number of things that he can OTG off of.

Tbh the distance he throws his opponent with his command grab and the recovery after really ends his pressure often times.

The EX one is very unsafe on block iirc, block and punish with a combo.
For position change at the wall and if they spam block I guess
After the pickup is the only way to continue with Meter?

Seijuro

Played 5 ranked matches today and all except one were still in the same laggy quality as before the patch, the one that was playable wasn't exactly good either.
It also only finds opponents when I lower the connection quality in the search menu to 2 and below or All.
Maybe nobody in Europe is playing and I get only matched with people in the US and Asia and that's the reason... was looking in the free match lobbies and only found people from Japan, China, Taiwan playing.

BTW, did the patch improved the netcode?
I can only find 2 bar connections so ... :(

Nope, it's not only you :)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Yup. There is no safe zone, a lot of HUD elements are on the edges of the screen. Luckily any semi-modern TV can have it's overscanning deactivated in the settings menu. And only HDTV's overscan by default. PC monitors don't.

That has nothing to do with overscanning. Overscan is some bullshit all TV's do out of the box by default. It's an artificial zoom in that cuts off the edges of the screen. You're missing out on 5 to 10 percent of the image. Also, it's reducing image quality and FOV. Sucks doesn't it? You need to set your TV to just scan/screen fit/picture fit/dot by dot or some shit like that in the TV's setting menu to get a screen fitted image. My samsung overscans on 16:9 mode. I have to set it to "screen fit" to get a pixel perfect image.

This is how the display area should look on a TV where overscan is deactivated and you're getting the properly sized image. Look at the player 1 and player 2 text on the top left and top right of the screen as a reference point.

This is how the display area looks on a TV that overscans by 5%. Pay attention to the edges, look at the player 1 and player 2 indicators on the top left and top right:

This is how the display area look on a TV that overscans by 10%. Pay attention to the edges, look at the player 1 and player 2 indicators on the top left and top right: Look at the top left, you can't even see the text: "free match, party vs"

The character's right fist is completely cut off and gone in the 10% overscan image. Most people are overscanning by 5% because that's what TV's default to out of the box when you first hook it up.

Most people's TV can correct for this - but a lot of older TV's not only force overscan with no way of turning it off, but they overscan by 10%, as if 5% wasn't enough... TV companies man, so fucking stupid. Anyways, side-track I know, but I wanted to clarify this just in case somebody is playing this game and they are like, WTF SNK can't even properly fit an image on my TV. No, they can - it's your TV that's fucking up, not SNK.
Great post, my TV does the same :(
Really annoys me on KOFXIV and Overwatch.

BTW, did the patch improved the netcode?
I can only find 2 bar connections so ... :(

Played 5 ranked matches today and all except one were still in the same laggy quality as before the patch, the one that was playable wasn't exactly good either.
It also only finds opponents when I lower the connection quality in the search menu to 2 and below or All.
Maybe nobody in Europe is playing and I get only matched with people in the US and Asia and that's the reason... was looking in the free match lobbies and only found people from Japan, China, Taiwan playing.

Nope, it's not only you :)

The netcode is good across all modes now but the bar filter still barely does shit.

qcf x2

Add me to the OP please.

Lyte Edge --- lyteedge2 --- USA / Southeast

We need to play! :3

For sure!

Since we're talking Nakoruru, stupid bird vs fireball vid.

I was laughing the whole way until she stopped Sylvie's climax. That's just rude.

Edit: Messing around with Tung, cr C karas into everything lol. So does his CD but that's slower, though it has different applications (ie safer CDs). Proof of concept. And a beginner mode full screen 75% combo using the kara.

If his EX lunge punch was projectile invincible or something he'd be straight up broken, but it isn't. Somewhat sadly.

Edit 2: CD trick is universal I guess? And some characters can kara far normals with varying results, ie Hein can but Mui can't. But Tung benefits a .... ton... because of the large range boost.

Finished my 10 fight rank skip thing 7-3. Ended up in rank 15, no idea what that means. Must be pretty good, right?

8 matches with great connection, 2 unplayable underwater shite.

Using Kula/Mian/Love Heart for now.

Handy chart about Angel's Unchain

SxrUe1e.png

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
That has nothing to do with overscanning. Overscan is some bullshit all TV's do out of the box by default. It's an artificial zoom in that cuts off the edges of the screen. You're missing out on 5 to 10 percent of the image. Also, it's reducing image quality and FOV. Sucks doesn't it? You need to set your TV to just scan/screen fit/picture fit/dot by dot or some shit like that in the TV's setting menu to get a screen fitted image. My samsung overscans on 16:9 mode. I have to set it to "screen fit" to get a pixel perfect image.

This is all quite informative, but also it's not like it's something a game can't be made to combat natively. 90% of my games make the adjustment either automatically, or they offer a way to scale down the output image to fit the screen.

Wish their was an in-game scaler, as even though I have my TV set to "Fit" in this case, it, and any other changes, don't seem to make a difference. Same happened with Peggle 2, but I care much more for this game, ha.

I was laughing the whole way until she stopped Sylvie's climax. That's just rude.

Edit: Messing around with Tung, cr C karas into everything lol. So does his CD but that's slower, though it has different applications (ie safer CDs). Proof of concept. And a beginner mode full screen 75% combo using the kara.

If his EX lunge punch was projectile invincible or something he'd be straight up broken, but it isn't. Somewhat sadly.

Edit 2: CD trick is universal I guess? And some characters can kara far normals with varying results, ie Hein can but Mui can't. But Tung benefits a .... ton... because of the large range boost.

Most CD's can be empty canceled into specials (And Vice's can be canceled into her command normal for some reason, even on whiff, which is pretty odd), regardless of animation. Shun'Ei's was one that is only cancelable on hit.

Tung's nice in that his cr.C and st.C can both be canceled into his Command normal / specials, too. In a game where most far normals are only super-cancelable (I'm still surprised Clark and Ralf can super cancel their far Cs here, and Ralf can cancel his far C into Vulcan punches, which combos!), this is pretty nice.

Though his limbs are stubby, so it's a fair trade. These details are usually character specific too. Like Robert's far D kicks upwards, but he can surprisingly hit crouch with his... while most high hitting moves in this game don't.

BadWolf

How is Luong? She seems so simple but effective. Are her moves safe?

She's hawt, her moves are pretty safe generally speaking (especially the flick kicks and air special). If you are going to end a combo with a super then try for the EX ranbu super, the final hit doesn't scale so it always adds a nice chunk of damage to a combo.

Ferrio

Banned
How are grapplers fairing overall in the game right now? I wanted to use Vice, but she just doesn't feel right so I was thinking of picking up a different one.

Wow I can do the motion input for a special, wait like half a second before inputting the appropriate button for it and it'll still work. Really useful if playing defensively with Luong since you can more accurately gauge which geki to use.

BadWolf

Good!

Wow I can do the motion input for a special, wait like half a second before inputting the appropriate button for it and it'll still work. Really useful if playing defensively with Luong since you can more accurately gauge which geki to use.

Yeah KOF is very lenient in that, for example with Clark you can do HCB, run forward a little, HCB+HP and the super will still come out.

A lot of people having issues doing moves are probably trying to do them too fast.

rpmboy

My samsung overscans on 16:9 mode. I have to set it to "screen fit" to get a pixel perfect image.
My TV looked very similar to the 5% image (TV edges touched the word "Player" in "Player 1") and I never knew what to do to fix it. I also have a Samsung, mine had the exact same setting in the menu. Thanks.

Only played one real idiot who attempted to troll me in a match. Picked the wrong guy to do that to-- counter-trolled him and won twice, which really pissed him off, lol.

How bad can trolling in this game get? Is there even a taunt command?

Thinking of trying some Billy when I get home. What are some impressions of him compared to other iterations?

This game is so much fun. I finally think I've decided on a team:

Luong, King and Billy* [Team stay the fuck away from me]

*Billy can also be replaced with Geese depending on the situation.

BadWolf

Thinking of trying some Billy when I get home. What are some impressions of him compared to other iterations?

- Most of his BnB combos from XIII don't work, have to learn XIV combos
- He lost his mult hitting cl. HP from XIII, it's one hit now
- Can no longer spam fwd+LP like in XIII
- Has an awesome Climax DM
- Got his classic 2 hit sweep back
- Gained a second super which is great for combos and invincible
- An issue he had in XIII is that when he used fwd+LK in combos it would miss on crouchers. In XIV cr. HP causes the opponent to stand on hit so fwd+LK combos better
- Gained a new air command normal for crossing up
- Cr. LK is no longer cancellable, have to use st. LK after cr. LKs to be able to combo into a special or command normal

I really hate this whole, the host leaving kills the room crap.

Yea, that is how most of my sets in lobbies end. The host usually just bounces before everyone is done playing. Too bad it's not like Revelator lobbies.

Thanks BadWolf. I'll give it a try.

If anyone wants to send a friend request it's GiygasXLR. I'm usually free to game at nights.

Just now getting into Kim. WOW. so much fun and everything feels tight which i like. I didnt like playing him in the orochi saga but he seems real fun here. maybe its just because im getting more use to the mechanics of fighting games

edit I see a lot of people hating on nakoruru, would a good work around be to treat akin to Rosalina/luma from smash 4 where in this case the bird can temporarily be unusable

Top Bottom