• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro patches won't cost users money, like duh

Status
Not open for further replies.

OCD Guy

It's not really up to sony though is it? If the publisher's want to charge then they can. It's dev time and effort and that costs money.

It absolutely is up to Sony.

They could simply issue a mandate that states any updates need to be free.

The fact that one of their representatives stated they may charge for some of their first party games shows what mentality they're adopting though.

Time will tell, but should Sony try and ask for money for a performance update I'll be done with them for good. I'm only one of millions granted, but I won't bend over for them.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I mean...it's the most non news ever. Patches after launch can sometimes cost money (not fees but costs associated with making a patch), and supporting Pro when required is just absorbed into the launch checklist and approval.

Patches can never be charged, nor can exclusive Pro content can be charged either.

taoofjord

I don't see problem with this. I doubt it's a simple line or two of code. Paying for their time on already released games is totally fair.

The fact that one of their representatives stated they may charge for some of their first party games shows what mentality they're adopting though.

Time will tell, but should Sony try and ask for money for a performance update I'll be done with them for good. I'm only one of millions granted, but I won't bend over for them.

Either way, you won't get the upgrades on those games then.

Any developer who wants to monetize this patch, isn't going to bother if they can't.

If they try, don't buy. The game you bought still runs at the framerate and resolution it always did. You didn't buy it with an expectation of getting a boost to either down the line, I hope.

This is only for legacy content. Dusting off that code base, and in some cases brining in a new programmer to try and figure this out, is going to cost the developer money. Then they have to go through all the usual q and a and certification etc, and that also costs money.

Most will recognize that this is going to boost sales of their game, and bring with it consumer goodwill if they don't charge for it.

Maybe some won't.

I don't see the logic in blaming Sony. Again, all you will achieve is how ever many games were going to offer this upgrade for free, will be the only games that get the upgrade.

I mean...it's the most non news ever. Patches after launch can sometimes cost money (not fees but costs associated with making a patch), and supporting Pro when required is just absorbed into the launch checklist and approval.

Patches can never be charged, nor can exclusive Pro content can be charged either.

For the love of sanity, please listen to chub.

Branduil

If you're looking for a platform holder that shields you from the (unpopular) monetisation whims of publishers (that probably won't be indulged), I've some bad news for you about PC...

Charging for the option to increase resolution wouldn't really be possible on PC though.

gafneo

Banned
Trust me, wont happen. The patches are needed for everyone. Sony wants to sell more software units and hardware. Charging for HD patches means there will be set backs on getting people to buy Pro consoles.

foxbeldin

What about publishers making money of of new sales from patched games? If i were to buy a ps4pro, i'd buy games that got pro updates.

Free. Pro. Updates.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Simple analogy:

You pay a guy to paint your condo. He does the work, you pay him and he goes on his way.
A couple of years later you buy the condo adjacent and knock through the wall to double your living space.

Decorator comes back and offers to paint the new area to match... and you say, sure, but refuse to pay extra because you've already paid him for a full interior job.

Now the painter can choose to do this and eat the expense as a good-will gesture because its a lovely home that he can use as a showpiece job on his web-page. On the other hand he can just shrug and say that his crew's wages need to covered, so he'll pass in favour of doing work for paying customers instead.

Bold One

Has to be a translator error. This is why I am always wary of non-native English speaking interviews that have been translated. So much gets lost in context and meaning.

Wait for executive clarification before losing your collective shit, or is this the wrong crowd for that piece of advice?

Sweep14

They're the platform holders with a list of mandatory requirements on PS4Pro but they can't... Okay.

Yeah, yeah...You read it here people : Sony dictates the commercial behaviour of Activision, EA, UBI etc...They have every right to force publishers to do what they want : they are the platform holder !!!

georly

It's already a subset of your consumers who are buying a pro. Now you want a subset of a subset to pay for the enhancement, probably for a game they don't play anymore?

Good luck. Hey, if it works, it works, and kudos to you. At the very least this is bad PR for a game, though. May turn people off to the console entirely.

I'm assuming if the company can afford it and doesn't want the bad press, they'll likely patch their game for free, but we'll see what happens.

Rains

Honesly people defending this sort of capitalism its pure money grabbing in my eyes the extra sales they would get from the game having a pro mode would more then off set this but noo lets rip off the people more worse part is people are saying this is ok lol this opens the doors to other shity actions if true

Wait I'm confused now. Is he saying there will be a cost for to MAKE the patches depending on licenses, or is he saying that there is potential to charge consumers? Something about this seems really off.

phanphare

Banned
buying a PS4 Pro isn't enough you gotta charge for the patches that take advantage of the hardware?

that seems kind of....not ok. not ok at all.

Sweep14

They could mandate that yes. Probable result = 0 patches will be made for old games

OCD Guy

Either way, you won't get the upgrades on those games then.

Any developer who wants to monetize this patch, isn't going to bother if they can't.

If they try, don't buy. The game you bought still runs at the framerate and resolution it always did. You didn't buy it with an expectation of getting a boost to either down the line, I hope.

This is only for legacy content. Dusting off that code base, and in some cases brining in a new programmer to try and figure this out, is going to cost the developer money. Then they have to go through all the usual q and a and certification etc, and that also costs money.

Most will recognize that this is going to boost sales of their game, and bring with it consumer goodwill if they don't charge for it.

Maybe some won't.

I don't see the logic in blaming Sony. Again, all you will achieve is how ever many games were going to offer this upgrade for free, will be the only games that get the upgrade.

I understand what you're saying.

The reason Sony would get the blame in this instance is that they are the ones as the Licensor that can dictate certain rules. The licensee can choose whether they want to follow them or not. But what we appear to have here - until its confirmed - is a scenario where the charge for updates is down to the licensee.

If that does turn out to be factual then it's inevitable that one publisher will test the water. I don't doubt that many developers will want to push out "free" updates to gain customer satisfaction, loyalty, goodwill etc.But ultimately all the negative things in gaming today are there because we as consumers have accepted it, and regardless of the reactions there would be to paid performance updates, I am pretty confident they would sell.

If I got rid of my console it would be on principle, even though I could rightly ignore the practices, the same way I ignore micro-transactions for example. But for me performance updates that are paid for would be too far for me.

If this is true, I would strongly reconsider my Pro purchase. Sony desperately needs to get their ducks in a row lately. So much spiraling mismanagement of messaging, They've been so good with information this generation but something is defintely up.

Kyolux

Honesly people defending this sort of capitalism its pure money grabbing in my eyes the extra sales they would get from the game having a pro mode would more then off set this but noo lets rip off the people more worse part is people are saying this is ok lol this opens the doors to other shity actions if true

For games released in the last 6 to 12 months? Sure.

For anything older.. I doubt it'd help that much with sales. At least enough to justify the amount of work/expenses this means.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It probably isn't a translation error, the interviewer repeated asked questions about this to get a response and the represntative was deliberately vague and cagey. Most likely the reason it was done like this was to test the waters and then throw him or website/interview under a bus if th reponse is too strong.

Xav

paying for patches

unbelievable
I agree with this but...

If a game has been finished and the developers have moved on, then fair enough I guess.

Publishers, developers and Sony. Consider this.

- You need a 4K TV. (ideally a HDR enabled one)
- You need a PS4 Pro.
- You need an internet connection.
- You need the game itself.

This shit ain't cheap on the consumer. The last thing you want to do is put more barriers between the consumer and what you claim is the future.

Hmmm, how would one charge for such an update? I mean logistically. Are you literally purchasing an asset pack or a key to enable an update?

Seems messy. Most I imagine would just include it in the game at no cost, and hope to reap the benefit of people buying the game that hadn't already to play it on the pro.

That or there is still a lot lost in translation or this person mis-spoke and it is actually a charge to publishers and devs to patch and not the end user.

We are not allowed to charge you for patches or pro feature updates.

The "fees" include anything we have to swallow to update our past games for you.

The internet can calm down. There is nothing we can do to leverage pro features or patches with price. Nothing.

True dat.

OCD Guy

Hmmm, how would one charge for such an update? I mean logistically. Are you literally purchasing an asset pack or a key to enable an update?

Seems messy. Most I imagine would just include it in the game at no cost, and hope to reap the benefit of people buying the game that hadn't already to play it on the pro.

That or there is still a lot lost in translation or this person mis-spoke and it is actually a charge to publishers and devs to patch and not the end user.

Rather than being issued the way updates are at the moment, they would be installed (and paid for) on the PSN store.

I don't think it would be too difficult to implement.

They could then have some flashy pictures on the store front, and a glitzy description describing the improvements, with a nice $5 price tag.

killatopak

what did I just read in the OP then?

Sony isn't going to charge patches for future games since it already comes with it. I think it's said in the update that only old games will charge for the pro patches since patching needs development time which needs money. How much is in the hands of the publisher/developer.

I agree with this but...

If a game has been finished and the developers have moved on, then fair enough I guess.

- You need a PS4 Pro.

This shit ain't cheap on the consumer. The last thing you want to do is put more barriers between the consumer and what you claim is the future.

Then why even go back to patch it?

Like...if older games will charge for patching, why even do it? Unless youre mandated by Sony to go back. But even then, that should mean Sony should eat that cost.

The PS4Pro is looking more stupid by the day. Ill wait till it drops to $100.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops

The "fees" include anything we have to swallow to update our past games for you.

The internet can calm down. There is nothing we can do to leverage pro features or patches with price. Nothing.
Can I quote you in the OP as an update?

Ugh... I don't know about this.

On one hand, if they're just doing a resolution bump and charging, then screw you. That's disgusting.

On the other hand, if they're adding in more/better assets. Adding more things to the games that aren't just tweaking sliders. Retesting to make sure things work well. Then on some level I get it. It isn't just a "patch" then. Maybe it's not a "remaster", but it did require some amount of work.

It sounds like you've got experience with this.

If you do, that's a very comforting policy. Very pro-consumer.

icespide

Banned

too late now. the pitchforks are out

Well there you go.

UrbanRats

I agree with this but...

- You need a PS4 Pro.

Maybe they'll be "free" with PS+ and that's how they'll spin it.

xion4360

Did they ask the question in Japanese? in english? is Ito a native english speaker? was the question and response translated?

Its pretty granular if you get down to it so the answer needs to be correctly understood and translated otherwise the last 12 pages dont mean shit. This needs to be clariffied because it does not gel with anything sony has said. Patches are not something you pay for on a playstation. This being the internet little things like this get too many people responding wildly.

Arklite

Hope that's the case because this is seems like some petty ass fee for the consumer if true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom