• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NLG job posting: unreal + ARM = NX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Since a substantial bit of information got buried in the last locked NX speculation thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=216588949&postcount=7765

http://www.nextlevelgames.com/jobs.php?job=6 said:
SKILLS
Experience working with PBR systems (1)
Experience with node based material creation
Proficiency in 3DS Max, ZBrush & Photoshop
Proficiency in Unreal a bonus (2)
Proficiency with bug tracking software
Proficiency in optimizing ARM assembly language a bonus (3)

Points (1) and (2) clearly speak of a PBR pipeline, Unreal or similar caliber, and ARM assembly language (3) comes off as rather demanding for a material artist - they're not recruiting for a mobile phone game, Oregano ; )

Eolz

It's not reaching for ARM.
Unreal is very likely to be supported, and it's worded differently than the usual "know engines like Unreal" (even though it's likely the case).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Wii U supported PBR? I remember Shinen said PBR is used in Fast Racing Neo and there were some Wii U games like Mario Kart and 3D World which looked like PBR is used (sorry for that sentence, I would appreciate it if you could correct that in the next quote, so I'm learning to write better english)

Calm Mind

This is our reality now. We are the nomads of NeoGAF. Moving from one rumor and/or speculation to the next. NX is both savior and destroyer.

Jackano

It's an interesting tidbit, well done OP. While not confirming anything, nothing goes against the latest rumors.

We can estimate that their next game will be targeting holiday 2018 season. Probably another B-tier franchise.

Edit:
Ultra pessimistic side: This isn't for Nintendo;
Ultra optimistic side: If NX is truly easy to develop for and if Nintendo is (way more) smarter than lately for its software planning, I would ask them to do Mario Strikers and target a release in June 2018 for the World Cup.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Not sure if this is thread worthy, so I'll post it here:

Kevin Periera (host of Attack of the Show and the recent Nintendo World Championships) tweeted:

Kevin Pereira
14h14 hours ago
Kevin Pereira ‏@Attack
Anaheim. Nintendo. GameStop. Let's get cozy.

For those that don't know, the Gamestop Expo starts this Wednesday.

If you look at his SnapChat (AttackSnap), in one of his story snaps he quickly turns the phone camera away from a television screen, saying "you weren't suppose to see that". He also mentions in another snap that he is rehearsing for something Nintendo-related at the expo.

Feep

Banned
Unity and Unreal comprise something like 70+% of engine usage in the industry by game count at this point. Did people think a modern console/handheld wouldn't include support from these engines?

This is nothing. Well, the Unreal part, anyway.

J@hranimo

Banned
When one NX thread closes....another one opens.

And honestly idk OP but I think we'll have some sort of answer sooner than later regarding the NX.

blu

Sorry, the threads were too big to keep track of. Can you explain what was spot on? I assume you didn't mean spoon on.
Tegra X1 in the devkits, Unreal running on it - the pieces are all coming together (and thanks for the typo catch).

Remember when Monster Games was working on a racing game on Unreal Engine or so ?
Me too.

To be fair, Monster had been largely a port/assist house for Nintendo since Pilotwings, IIRC. Not quite the same situation as NLG who are pretty clearly favoured by Nintendo, and seem to be more of an unofficial first-party studio than anything else - hell, they've done more high-profile work with Nintendo IP than NST have lately...

To be fair, Monster had been largely a port/assist house for Nintendo since Pilotwings, IIRC. Not quite the same situation as NLG who are pretty clearly favoured by Nintendo, and seem to be more of an unofficial first-party studio than anything else - hell, they've done more high-profile work with Nintendo IP than NST have lately...

It's more about how NLG and Monster Games supposedly work really closely to Nintendo and mainly for them. Not everything is related to Nintendo or NX.

Oregano

Unity and Unreal comprise something like 70+% of engine usage in the industry by game count at this point. Did people think a modern console/handheld wouldn't include support from these engines?

This is nothing. Well, the Unreal part, anyway.

3DS didn't have Unreal Engine 3 and Wii U didn't have Unreal Engine 4. Not like it was guaranteed with Nintendo.

blu

It's more about how NLG and Monster Games supposedly work really closely to Nintendo and mainly for them. Not everything is related to Nintendo or NX.
Sure. But what are the chances for that in the case of NLG?

ggx2ac

Kevin Periera (host of Attack of the Show and the recent Nintendo World Championships) tweeted:

Kevin Pereira
14h14 hours ago
Kevin Pereira ‏@Attack

If you look at his SnapChat (AttackSnap), in one of his story snaps he quickly turns the phone camera away from a television screen, saying "you weren't suppose to see that". He also mentions in another snap that he is rehearsing for something Nintendo-related at the expo.

That GameStop Conference was something to expect this week aside from TGS.

The only question is if anything NX related will be there and if there is anyone that will leak it.

Kevin Pereira
14h14 hours ago
Kevin Pereira ‏@Attack

Omg it's happening

Oregano

Sure. But what are the chances for that in the case of NLG?

What were the odds Monster Games Unity game wasn't on a Nintendo platform? What we're the odds Gamefreak's Sega collaboration wasn't on a Nintendo platform?

Turns out pretty good.

The main thing pointing towards NX is how specific some of the requirements/preferences are.

Calm Mind

It's an interesting tidbit, well done OP. While not confirming anything, nothing goes against the latest rumors.

We can estimate that their next game will be targeting holiday 2018 season. Probably another B-tier franchise.

Edit:
Ultra pessimistic side: This isn't for Nintendo;
Ultra optimistic side: If NX is truly easy to develop for and if Nintendo is (way more) smarter than lately for its software planning, I would ask them to do Mario Strikers and target a release in June 2018 for the World Cup.

Now you've done it.

BY2K

Membero Americo

Kevin Pereira
14h14 hours ago
Kevin Pereira ‏@Attack

I refuse to believe.

Oregano

I refuse to believe.

That's certainly interesting. Do games press get invited to Gamestop expo?

I'm thinking it's not NX but certainly interesting and a reveal at Gamestop expo would be a big vote of confidence in physical games.

Edit: I look forward to our PC + Mobile Nintendo Nirolak.

Of course not everything is, but in this particular case - given NLG's past and recent history with Nintendo - I think it's fair to assume this is related. The Monster counter-example ignores the way their importance to Nintendo seemed to fall off dramatically after Pilotwings, and while it's always worth being a little cautious about speculating based on info like this, I think you're being a bit too pessimistic.

slash3584

Kevin Pereira
14h14 hours ago
Kevin Pereira ‏@Attack

Here are some screens from that snapchat, but IMO it doesn't look NX related.

https://imgur.com/a/FdH4d

Does Master Chopper rings a bell for anyone?

The Giant

Banned
There was a rumour back at e3 2015. That said that NLG was working on a Wii U game. Which by now would be on NX.

ckfy63a

Something interesting I noticed on http://www.nintendo.com:

If you click the circle "4" where the sliding images are, you'll see a version of the "There's no PLAY like it" slogan, but with a traditional (notably, not split) D-Pad in place of the ABXY buttons. People were arguing that the presence of the ABXY buttons in the new marketing mean that ABXY buttons will be around for NX; does this mean that the D-Pad will remain not split, by that same token?

EDIT: Or maybe this swap just means Nintendo has several versions of the marketing slogan logo prepared, and we don't even know ABXY buttons will be present anymore. :p

Something interesting I noticed on http://www.nintendo.com:

If you click the circle "4" where the sliding images are, you'll see a version of the "There's no PLAY like it" slogan, but with a traditional (notably, not split) D-Pad in place of the ABXY buttons. People were arguing that the presence of the ABXY buttons in the new marketing mean that ABXY buttons will be around for NX; does this mean that the D-Pad will remain not split, by that same token?

EDIT: Or maybe this swap just means Nintendo has several versions of the marketing slogan logo prepared, and we don't even know ABXY buttons will be present anymore. :p

Yeah I'd go with your edit, nice find.

doop_

Banned

Kevin Pereira
14h14 hours ago
Kevin Pereira ‏@Attack

Maybe it is showing achievements for chopping down trees in Breath of the Wild.....Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom