• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a statute of limitations on spoilers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
It depends. But the HD remaster just come out, you did wrong op. You should of known better, its not their job to inform you when new games come out.

If the HD remaster didn't JUST come out I might of sided with you. But it also depends how and where you revealed it. Just, use some judgement.

E7igf40.png

Gotchaye

I also can't figure out how you can call not naming a spoiler in the title "tip-toeing". Just write "I wanna discuss a late game spoiler" and then you can write whatever you want in your post. If people then complain you don't have to care, you gave them a fair warning.

I don't think you really even need to go this far to be satisfying the requirements of basic courtesy to people who hate spoilers. Like, ignore the prequels and pretend that Star Wars is spoilable for a second and you want to make a thread about whether Vader knew that he had two kids before picking up on Leia from Luke's mind or whatever it was that happened there. Then instead of titling the thread "Did Vader know that he had two kids?", which communicates that it's relevant to the movies that Vader has two kids and probably makes it a lot easier to see the two reveals coming, just title it something like "Did Vader know about Leia before the start of Ep4?" and clarify in the post what you're asking about. There's enough there that someone who hasn't seen all the movies can tell they might not want to click, but not enough to ruin any surprise they might experience upon watching, and the title is also informative enough for people who have seen the movies (and is much more informative than a really generic "spoilery Star Wars question" title).

ghostjoke

Banned
If you actually want a time limit for your answer, it should be 10 years, with the clause that the time resets whenever a remaster or something similar comes out.

Would you also apply this to something like Bloodbourne inspiring a lot of people to pick up Lovecraft's works or the 80s movies people are watching for the first time because Stranger Things introduced people to them? There's a constant cycle of people discovering new media outside of remasters. Even BioShock could inspire someone to read Atlas Shrugged, and while I definitely think there's an obligation to saving someone from reading it, I'm not sure spoiling it would be the best way.

IMO, every game has a different appropriate time for spoilers. Like elder scrolls and fallout games are fine like 1-2 weeks after release because their stories are totally negligible, but I would consider like maybe 1-2 years to be appropriate spoiler tagging for a game like bioshock or persona when they first release. Maybe 6 months for a Halo or revengeance something similar if there's a decent plot twist.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
So I can freely talk spoilers without a preface on Sonic 06 in a couple months? Sweet.
In that game's case, you should put a "Sonic 2006" warning instead of a "spoilers" one :p

Well shit, the self-appointed authority has spoken. Pack it up, guys. Thread's over. We were in the wrong all along.
Haven't you heard? The statute is over as soon as the person who wants to talk about spoilers has seen the movie/played the game/read the book. Not a second earlier, not a minute later. Screw everyone else for not consuming media at the same time I do.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Would you also apply this to something like Bloodbourne inspiring a lot of people to pick up Lovecraft's works or the 80s movies people are watching for the first time because Stranger Things introduced people to them? There's a constant cycle of people discovering new media outside of remasters. Even BioShock could inspire someone to read Atlas Shrugged, and while I definitely think there's an obligation to saving someone from reading it, I'm not sure spoiling it would be the best way.
A good point and grey area. If there's currently a zeitgeist then yes, watch your spoilers.

Note tagged or warned spoilers are fine. People can talk about things. But open spoilers in a title? Get the hell out of here

Yes, when I've seen it. Which seems to apply to everyone, so the answer is no. And it's wholly dependent on what you're spoiled, i.e. what show, game or movie and how important it is.

I definitely feel that context matters. You drop into a thread specifically about a nine year old game? Yeah, you're gonna find spoilers inside. But there shouldn't be spoilers in the thread title, or in threads unrelated to the game in question. There are people who know to avoid discussion of things because they don't want to be spoiled, even years down the line, and just tossing things out in unrelated discussions is honestly just a dick move.

I would like to say no. People watch things at their own speed and avoiding spoilers is just a common courtesy.

Certain things have a way of being spoiled by TV, movies, cultural references, etc. (ie. "Luke, I'm your father") but one should never consciously spoil something for someone without asking.

GuyKazama

If it is coming to a new medium, the spoiler statute of limitations is reset, e.g. Game of Thrones, Gone Girl, The Dark Tower.

Spyware

I'm with Noblesse. I really don't care about spoilers and I think dancing around them makes discussions of media worse for it.
Sorry for jumping on you for something many people say, you just happen to be the last, but how is not writing spoilery titles to "dance around" spoilers and making media discussion worse?
No one (sane) is saying that we can't ever discuss spoilers. Most people are fine with free discussions and writing articles of spoilery stuff, as long as we get a choice to avoid it without having to avoid the whole internet.
The sane people say:

• Don't put spoilers in topics (blogs, threads, articles, whatevs)
  • Don't just blurt them out to people without asking them if they wanna know/care
  • Preferrably don't talk spoilery stuff on places like Twitter where it's public (also because discussing stuff there sucks anyway except the unlimited character private messages)
We don't want to harm the discussion, we just want the choice to avoid being in it.

Would you kindly not spoil things in thread titles?

That's the only thing that gets me. Like, if you advertise that there's a spoiler/surprise in the upcoming OP, fine. But try to keep the title free of the actual reveal.

Thankfully this forum's pretty good with that. Back in the gamers[dot]com/1up/early IGN days that shit was way more prevalent.

MrNelson

Banned
There are always going to be people that are introduced to something long after its initial release due to various factors. They could have not had the means to experience it at the time (couldn't afford game/console), they could have been introduced to it years down the line by a friend because they were generally unaware of it when it released, or they simply could have been too young for it or not even born around the time of its release.

Let's take Persona 4 for example, which is an 8 year old game at this point. Let's say that someone who was 10 in 2008 has been hearing people talk about Persona 5 lately, and what they have seen and heard piques their interest. This causes them to look into the series and they hear good things about, as well as suggestions to start with 4, as it is the most accessible to newcomers. Because of this they go out an pick up a cheap used PS2 and a copy of the game. Now, what if while browsing a gaming forum one day they happened to come across a topic name like *Legit spoiler btw*
"When did you begin to suspect Adachi was the killer?"
. That's a pretty fucking big plot point to have ruined by someone who couldn't exercise restraint and word the title something like "When did you figure out who the killer was? *P4 Late-game Spoilers*" and proceed with the discussion inside the thread.

Now, is the fault on the player for not having played P4 until then, or is it on the OP for posting the title in that way?

Corpekata

Banned
Sorry for jumping on you for something many people say, you just happen to be the last, but how is not writing spoilery titles to "dance around" spoilers and making media discussion worse?
No one (sane) is saying that we can't ever discuss spoilers. Most people are fine with free discussions and writing articles of spoilery stuff, as long as we get a choice to avoid it without having to avoid the whole internet.
The sane people say:

• Don't put spoilers in topics (blogs, threads, articles, whatevs)
  • Don't just blurt them out to people without asking them if they wanna know/care
  • Preferrably don't talk spoilery stuff on places like Twitter where it's public (also because discussing stuff there sucks anyway except the unlimited character private messages)
We don't want to harm the discussion, we just want the choice to avoid being in it.

It's because people responding like that aren't even reading the OP, they're just posting their general thoughts that they've probably written in a dozen spoiler related threads. They're not even registering that the OP went into a Bioshock or gaming subreddit like 3 days after a remaster was released and posted a spoiler in a thread title.

That movie is about competition and the differing approaches to it not lauda . You can do just as well substitute senna Schumacher with actually higher stakes frankly. The movie is a work of reality plus fiction anyway .

Yes it is about a rivalry that may as well be about fictional characters, but characters nonetheless. You can know how many times he won, and that he got in an accident, ect, those are stakes that can take a viewer by surprise if they don't know who Lauda was. You'll be surprised about how the film sells the story to people who never knew about racing. Since the film was about the rivalry with Hunt, knowing how both eventually won tells you something about how that rivalry ended. But someone completely ignorant of their lives may wonder until the very end if they ever got along again; or if one of them never achieved their goal, making it a zero sum game; ect. Just like any fictional character. It all depends on how the story is constructed, smaller details than life or death can be more important depending on the plot, that's how narrative works. A movie about Schumacher or Senna would be completely different beasts, and their accidents have to do with completely different points in a narrative, compared to one another, and to the Lauda/Hunt Story.

(Dude reason as person above you're sounding more and more elitist)

The opposite really. I would never vouch for the "you had your chance to experience this work when it was new, why haven't you?" line of thought. People are reading books that are new to them and watching films that are new to them everywhere in the world, and I would not think of them as "catching up", they are just experiencing the work like others may have done before them. That's why it would never just be a matter of time as a metric for me, it is not a "you are late" business. It is a "most plot points aren't actually spoilers, but true spoiler do exists, and they don't have time limit".

edit: ultimately everyone consumes a story differently , so knowing what an actual spoiler is is not a precise science. All we can do is think about our experience with the work and identify if any plot point had that much weigh resting on them to the point that ignorance of it through consumption really made that much of a difference.

I try not to spoil things for others, and I try not to be spoiled, but I don't let it get to me if I am. The internet is much easier to navigate if I don't overreact to being spoiled. I consider the larger part of the onus for not being spoiled is on me. But if it happens, it happens.

Murkas

What about FF7 remake's case? Are people honestly gonna be expecting people to skirt around 20 year old spoilers when the remake is released?

I'd say you got a week after a product is released. If you're spoiled after that then that's kinda your fault. Especially if you're browsing websites related to the product you're trying to avoid spoilers for.

Off course this would all be simpler if people stopped giving so much of a shit about spoilers.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Spoilers for: Star Wars TFW, Game of Thrones, my opinion and Harry Potter

Anyone can be spoiled at any time by anything and it would ruin their experience forever. This is why you should spoiler tag everything you post. It's just one button and it saves people an indescribable amount of mental anguish.

What about FF7 remake's case? Are people honestly gonna be expecting people to skirt around 20 year old spoilers when the remake is released?

I'd say you got a week after a product is released. If you're spoiled after that then that's kinda your fault. Especially if you're browsing websites related to the product you're trying to avoid spoilers for.

Off course this would all be simpler if people stopped giving so much of a shit about spoilers.

For most gamers over the age of 21, FF 7 will probably be their first ever Final Fantasy. Why would you feel the need to spoil it, when not spoiling it is so easy? And why only a week? Not many people have time to blast through a game in a week - and even if they have that time, they might not want to.

You should use spoiler tags/warnings for a good while after something releases, maybe like six months, and then begin to use good judgement after that. How much is it really inconveniencing you to give a brief spoiler warning before blurting out whatever you want? If you're in a public forum with a large audience in a conversation that isn't obviously inviting spoilers about said thing, chances are someone out there might not want to hear it. Most of the time I've found people that blurt out spoilers in those cases are just trying to make a point, in which case fuck off.

In OP's case, yeah, you should've used better judgement. The game just got re-released. It wouldn't've been that hard for you to just take care.

As a sidenote, this applies to what most might consider major things. Not what DLC costumes there are in Persona 5 or what chapter number the Uncharted 4 E3 demo is.

PSqueak

Banned
Ideally no, because you never know if they're interested, but in practice, anybody who gets angry because you spoiled a 7+ year movie/book/game/etc is being unreasonable.

Personally i usually ask people if they're interested on something or if i may go ahead and spoil it.

i feel like games should have a longer statute because of the amount of time it takes to beat them

Also how many very long games are released concurrently. I can't remember the last time I finished a game within a year of its release date, let alone a few weeks. I don't have infinite free time to play everything I want to play right away.

I used to think the limit was ten years. But with how quickly things are coming out, as well as how quickly people are consuming content, you could probably drop the limit to about 5 years now. If you haven't made an honest attempt to play or watch the thing in question by then, chances are you probably didn't care much about it to begin with.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
It's kind of a dick move to post major spoilers for a game, in a thread title no less, that just got a remaster.

Wensih

Anyone have a link to the study finding spoilers help people engage with the work at a deeper level and allow for more critical analysis of the work than just trying to follow the story and often a deeper appreciation/happiness because of it? I'm on my phone.

I typically spoil things for myself, especially in literature.

I can't be asked to remember any point of BioShock except the Opening, the Ryan Atlas monologue, and the terrible final boss. Everything is a noncoherent blur.

MrNelson

Banned

But that goes back to my argument. There are plenty of people that either weren't into gaming in 1997, had different tastes back then and passed it by, or were too young/weren't born when the game released. Even without the remake, there are plenty of people that are still discovering it for the first time today.

For example, I personally didn't discover Metal Gear Solid until just before 4 released, but would that have been my fault because I was 6 when MGS released? I was generally unaware of the series as a whole until I was up late one night in 2008, flipping through the channels and stopped on an episode of GameTrailers TV where they were talking about MGS4 and mentioned how there was a bundle of the first 3 MGS games releasing that week. I liked what I saw, picked it up and fell in love with it immediately.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
How about people drop the expectation that the world revolves around them and should twist and bend to maintain "the integrity of the experience" solely for them?

If someone asks me about a movie, I'll tell them what I liked about it without spoiling. Same for books, tv shows, etc. But this is a discussion board. Collectively, you can't expect people to be dancing around shit from other decades. Yes, we can be considerate in most instances and not spoil something that just came out in the title. But otherwise...tough luck. The world moves on. They had Game of Thrones "spoilers" in the video reel at the Emmy's. The world has moved on. If you were too busy to keep up, that's cool. Whatever you're trying to watch or read should be able to stand up even if I gave you a brief summary.

It has just gotten too ridiculous. People complain about spoilers in every movie trailer thread. Like literally the purpose of a trailer is to sell a movie to an audience. If they were all vague then people wouldn't go to see anything. Movie trailers used to literally just run through almost the entire movie. Stop obsessing over twists and reveals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom