• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice |OT| Khura'in, not Kurain

LiK

i feel like the devs are much older peeps for this entry. seems like all the hotties are Ema, Maya and some of the later older women. funny they consider Athena like a child in this game when some of those people calling her that are only a few years older. you'd never see that in the older games back in the days!

Javier

Cross-posted from another site, but here's my revised Tier List after finishing AA6. Definitely one of the best games in the series.

God Tier

2-4, Farewell, My Turnabout

Top Tier

6-5, Turnabout Revolution
6-3, The Rite of Turnabout
1-5, Rise From The Ashes
3-4, Turnabout Beginnings
1-4, Turnabout Goodbyes

High Tier

3-5, Bridge to the Turnabout
6-2, The Magical Turnabout
3-2, The Stolen Turnabout
4-4, Turnabout Succession
5-1, Turnabout Countdown
3-1, Turnabout Memories
5-3, Turnabout Academy

Middle Tier

6-1, The Foreign Turnabout
6-4, Turnabout Storyteller
4-1, Turnabout Trump
5-D, Turnabout Reclaimed
1-1, The First Turnabout
3-3, Recipe for Turnabout
1-2, Turnabout Sisters
1-3, Turnabout Samurai
2-2, Reunion, and Turnabout
2-3, Turnabout Big Top
2-1, The Lost Turnabout
4-2, Turnabout Corner
5-4/5-5, Cosmic Turnabout/Turnabout for Tomorrow

Low Tier

5-2, The Monstrous Turnabout

Bottom Tier

4-3, Turnabout Serenade

5-2 is boring as all hell, and 4-3 is the only case in the series I just feel has way too much bullshit going on that I just can't enjoy it. Everything else is fantastic or has enough flaws that I can accept.

Firebrand

Bit disappointed by Maya's character tbh... she's essentially a teenager still in spirit (pun intended). Heck, she barely looks different either, aside from the portraits where her eyes look strangely different from her ingame model.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I like Maya's portrayal. She kept her personality but does show her age and wisdom a few times. I especially noticed it in how she handled herself in Case 3 and 5 and sometimes interacted with others. Of course, she's still her same old self when it comes to action TV series.

ZeroX03

Banned
Athena should never have been a teenager. She should've been in her twenties and more mature. This series' weird obsession with peppy teenage girls hanging around murder scenes is so unnecessary. There's what, like four different teenage girls in this game? At least Ema and to a lesser extent Maya are adults acting their age now.

Giever

Honesty, humorous was was probably the wrong word to use, its hard to find a word to use in this case but ultimately what I was trying to convey was how AA games that are unlocalized are usually held in much higher regard then the localized ones. (AAI2 nonwithstanding.)

As far as I know, the only two currently non-localized AA games are AAI2 and DGS. How at all are you arriving at this pattern of non-localized AA games usually being held in much higher regard? You even discount AAI2, and are just left with one game, DGS.

LiK

Athena should never have been a teenager. She should've been in her twenties and more mature. This series' weird obsession with peppy teenage girls hanging around murder scenes is so unnecessary. There's what, like four different teenage girls in this game? At least Ema and to a lesser extent Maya are adults acting their age now.

AA7 baby.

NexusCell

I'd personally remove AJ and AAI from that list. AJ is just barely above this one, and AAI makes it easily to top 3 AA games - at least based on what I've played of it so far. I'm currently near the end of Case 4 in that game, so unless Case 5 is a total mess, the ranking's probably going to stay up there.

Haven't played PLvPW, Great Ace Attorney or Investigations 2 yet.

Ehh, AJ suffers from having one of the worst cases (Turnabout Serenade) in the series. Seriously, I can't stand playing through that case.

Gestahl

Ehh, AJ suffers from having one of the worst cases (Turnabout Serenade) in the series. Seriously, I can't stand playing through that case.

Not to mention the second case's first trial revolves almost entirely around that shitty panties freak character. I actually like the core story to that case but fucking hell that first day

I feel like such a weirdo for thinking Turnabout Seranade is the second best case in Apollo Justice. I guess I like the Gaviniers too much. Turnabout Corner has some great Polly/Trucy/Hobo Wright comedy hour stuff but some bad witnesses, and the final trial is too weird and abstract with me with the whole "use some weird future technology and conviction system we've never seen before or since to
convict a man who's already on death row for murder
" thing.

Anyway, Case 5 just gave me one of those "...oh." moments that made me love Trials and Tribulations and the Danganronpa series so much.

Vibranium

Banned
Just finished it (will play the DLC too despite apparently not being on the level of content of Dual Destinies' DLC).

Wow, Apollo kicked some serious ass. I got really emotional at the end, this coming from someone who wasn't sure about him at first in AA4. Seeing
him help rebuild Khu'rain's legal system with Nahyuta in honor of Dhurke and his dad
gave me a big smile on my face.

And that ending reel stinger
Lamiroir about to finally reveal that she's Apollo and Trucy's mom

Jeffrey

They really need to stop doing
help i was dizzy or incapitated or confused and wha, why is my fingerprints on a sharp item thats probably not the murder weapon.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Guys, I just got my 3DS back and got an itch to try this game, but... 25 pounds (UK) could be a bit jumping the gun for me.

Is the entry price worth it? Or should I wait for a discount?

This is considering that I was glad AA5 launched with a discount from the get-go, as the story was far inferior than AA4 and AAI1.

Any advice is appreciated!

It's top tier for me (though it's mostly thanks to the last case)

Top:
AA3
AA1
AA6
AAI2

OK:
AA5
AA2

Meh:
AA4
AAI

Finally finished the AA5 dlc case last night. Athena is just Maya in it. Kind of weird. Does she have a real personality in 6?

I'd say Kay Faraday of AAI is more like the new Maya.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm liking the game but, Jesus, the Khuranese names are all atrocious. I can't imagine someone localising R'heel Nhame and thinking: "yep, super witty, nailed it".

I don't really know where I'd rank this game. It has a lot of the same stuff that I really dislike about the post-trilogy games, and generally I didn't enjoy the central plot. I don't know if I enjoyed it better than AA5 (been a while), but I can say I actually liked it compared to AAI2, which kinda soured me on the series and made me particularly weary coming into this game.

Overall, case 4 ended up being the one that I enjoyed the most, mainly because
I came out of the 3rd case feeling completely unsatisfied about the conclusion and not caring about what's gonna happen next, so having a breather case was something I very much appreciated. I also really liked the Rakugo elements, all the witnesses and also having someone with a backbone like Blackquill in the defense bench. The latter in particular made me realize just how much Wright's character regressed in this game.

MrBadger

As far as I know, the only two currently non-localized AA games are AAI2 and DGS. How at all are you arriving at this pattern of non-localized AA games usually being held in much higher regard? You even discount AAI2, and are just left with one game, DGS.

I actually notice the exact opposite pattern. I remember reading lots of negative impressions about Layton VS Wright before we got that localisation announcement.

I think it's a defence mechanism, people tell themselves that the non-localised games are shit anyway so they don't feel like they're missing out on anything.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It's top tier for me (though it's mostly thanks to the last case)

Top:
AA3
AA1
AA6
AAI2

OK:
AA5
AA2

Meh:
AA4
AAI

I'd say Kay Faraday of AAI is more like the new Maya.
Switch AA2 and AA4 and these are my rankings. AA3 and AA6 are the best two if I HAD to choose.

Astarte

Case 5 Conversation Spoiler:

Trucy and Apollo marriage banter made me uncomfortable please Lamiroir do something before they end up together

Sagely

I think there's one point during Case 3 where the same flashback happens twice within about 20 seconds :/ I understand the importance of flashbacks to help players who put the game down for a while, but that's excessive.

Finished case 4 last night, I really enjoyed it! Loved the witnesses (
Uendo
was adorable and the visual gag of
Geiru's balloons deflating
:B) and it was nice and short. This game has the most enjoyable
filler
cases for me, but it's a shame that the
main story
is so heavy it makes them seem like a nuisance. Case-by-case I feel this game is very strong, but the pacing/order not so much.

Looking forward to starting Case 5 during lunch break and seeing it all come together.

Baleoce

I'm liking the game but, Jesus, the Khuranese names are all atrocious. I can't imagine someone localising R'heel Nhame and thinking: "yep, super witty, nailed it".

Yeah whoever was in charge of that in localisation needs to sit back and reflect.

LiK

I really don't like a large amount of the names in the game. Where are all the fun puns? I think I only recognize some of them.

Case 3, Investigation Day 2.

I am so sick of these constant god damn flashbacks.

lol, they get worse. it seems like the devs think people only play a small portion each day and think people will forget. some flashbacks work well but there was one in Case 5 which was repeated ad nauseum.

ZeroX03

Banned
I thought a flashback to something that happened two minutes ago was bad.

Then they did a flashback to a flashback from two minutes ago.

Jeffrey

Been just thinking, maybe its just me, but the biggest problems ive had so far in court is I miss patterns that connect stuff together like
wine and cake both were camel branded, or the founder orb had a khura'in symbol

Maybe its because im playing on the smaller n3ds and even still the 3ds native resolution is garbage doesn't help.

Also is there a pun or something with Dhurke's name? I'm not seeing it at a glance, and im scared to go on the wikis because im not done yet.

Yeah whoever was in charge of that in localisation needs to sit back and reflect.

He has the same pun in the Japanese version as "Fon Miyou", based on "honmyou" (本名) or "real name".

Blame the Japanese writers, not the localization.

Best get used to them son there's plenty more where that came from

I really don't like a large amount of the names in the game. Where are all the fun puns? I think I only recognize some of them.

lol, they get worse. it seems like the devs think people only play a small portion each day and think people will forget. some flashbacks work well but there was one in Case 5 which was repeated ad nauseum.

Ugh, I was afraid that would be the case. Looking forward to much more of these:

Sadhmahni: Remember when I told you earlier that winning would be a complete fantasy?
*Flashback to Sadhmahni saying that winning would be a complete fantasy*

Jeffrey

Ugh, I was afraid that would be the case. Looking forward to much more of these:

Sadhmahni: Remember when I told you earlier that winning would be a complete fantasy?
*Flashback to Sadhmahni saying that winning would be a complete fantasy*

think they are less ridiculous than that later lol.

Still expect a ton of flashbacks after each 'to be continued'.

wonder if its a japanese thing? For ace attorney games I try my damnest to finish each case in 1 or 2 sittings unless its the last case and its super long.

I need to have the stuff in my immediate memory to minimize frustration in court.

Groof

think they are less ridiculous than that later lol.

Still expect a ton of flashbacks after each 'to be continued'.

wonder if its a japanese thing? For ace attorney games I try my damnest to finish each case in 1 or 2 sittings unless its the last case and its super long.

I need to have the stuff in my immediate memory to minimize frustration in court.

I'm exactly the same. I'd wager it's because they assume people actually take longer breaks at the to be continues. That would make the flashbacks a bit more tolerable, but seriously, showing the same flashback 3 times in a row is a bit too much even with proper breaks

Jeffrey

Flashbacks make no sense in Ace attorney period.

Like in other games or medium where there is some action and camera work going on, sure its a decent way to recap a scene, but every flashback in AA games is just a talking head.

So instead of loading a flash back and loading back, it makes more sense to just explain in dialogue what happened in the past.

I don't remember the lack of flashbacks being an issue in the original games.

Ace attorney games aren't known for brevity in text. They will drill in your head the same stuff repeatedly regardless.

List me under not loving all the Thisn'hamy Sbullshi'it stuff. It's just kinda distracting and never seemed this egregious in the past. It makes it seem like a bad parody.

Considering that his Japanese name is Fon Myou (フォン·ミョウ), which is almost literally Real Name, the translation nailed it :p

COMPREHENSIVE LIST OF PUNNY NAMES

Case 1

Ahlbi Ur'gaid = "I'll be your guide"
Paht Rohl = "Patrol"
Peeslub'n Ahndastan'dhin = "Peace, love and understanding"

Case 2

Mr. Reus = "Mysterious" (BONUS ROUND: "Reus" is Latin for "guilty")
Manov Mistree = "Man of mystery"
Bonny/Betty de Famme = "Bunny/Batty" + "defame"
Roger Retinz = "Ratings Raja"

Case 3

Tahrust Inmee = "Trust in me"
Beh'leeb Inmee = "Believe in me"
Purhay Zeh'lot = "Prays a lot" (BONUS ROUND: "Zeh'lot" is a homonym for "Zealot," or "a person who is fanatical and uncompromising in pursuit of their religious, political, or other ideals")
Datz Are'bel = "That's a rebel"
Lady Kee'ra = "Ladykiller" or simply "Lady Killer"
Rheel Neh'mu = "Take a wild f*cking guess"
Case 4

Taifu Toneido = "Typhoon" + "Tornado"
Geiru Toneido = "Gale" + "Tornado"
Uendo Toneido = "Wind" + "Tornado"
Bucky Whet = "Buckwheat" (BONUS ROUND: The Whet family business could be a callback to this line from the first game.)
Case 5

Archie Buff = "Archaeology buff"
Armie Buff = "Army buff"
Abe Atishon = Either "Abe Lincoln" or a reference to Japanese PM Shinzo Abe
Paul Atishon = "Donald Trump"
Jove Justice = "Jupiter" (Roman mythology's equivalent to Zeus, the father of Apollo) + "Justice"
Inga Karkhuul Haw'kohd Dis'nahm Bi'ahni Lawga Ormo Pohmpus Da'nit Ar'edi Iz Khura'in III = "How could this name be any longer or more pompous than it already is"
Faitah Inmee = Either "Faith in me" or "Fighter in me"

DLC Case

Ellen Wyatt = "All in white"
Sorin Sprocket = "Soaring" + "sprocket" (a type of gear)
Pierce Nichody = "Persnickety" (meaning requiring a particularly precise or careful approach)
Dumas Gloomsbury = "Doom" + "Gloom" (BONUS ROUND: "Dumas" could refer to Alexandre Dumas, whose famous novel The Count of Monte Cristo focused on themes of revenge and lost time)
Selena Sprocket = "Serene" + "Sprocket" (BONUS ROUND: Selena is a corruption of Selene, the goddess of the moon; which could tie into the Sprocket family's involvement in aviation technology)

Baleoce

He has the same pun in the Japanese version as "Fon Miyou", based on "honmyou" (本名) or "real name".

Blame the Japanese writers, not the localization.

Aah good call, and in which case yes, I just dislike the names in general. It's not as witty when it feels like zero effort is put into naming them. I can't explain it, but when it's a bit subtler like "Frank Sahwit" and he's the "witness" then I can appreciate that. A lot of the times in the series they use it as a means of describing the personality or as an ironic identifier in the surname. My bad for assuming that was a localization thing though.

Do any of the new main characters have any puns?
Pops brother and princess.

Not seeing anything at a glance.

All of the major Khurainese characters (Inga, Sahdmadhi, Ga'ran, Rayfa and Dhurke) have names based on Sanskrit words rather than puns.

A lot of the new locations have clever names though, such as Penrose Theatre (a Penrose triangle is an impossible shape comprised of optical illusions) and Kurukuru Tei theatre (Kurukuru is the Japanese onomatopoeia for slurping noodles).

Yomidi

Finished Case 3. Man, that was really good, one of the best of the series.
The ending was really sad
With that said, I'm not feeling Sahdmadhi. I dunno, he's just kinda the same as all the other prosecutors and doesn't offer anything new.
Anyway, just started Case 4 and it's an
Athena case :/

Top Bottom