• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 games. 1 Year. 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skikkiks

Master Post

this is the freeware update all these games were free and surprisingly short oops

maxresdefault.jpg
Game 56: Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt (PC) | 40 Minutes | 09/03/16 | 3/5

It's a little bullet hell RPG game about curing people of their illnesses. It's alright, not too interesting. It looks like a gameboy game, which isn't too bad. Not being able to strafe makes the game annoying, having to lose out on damage due to repositioning yourself to not get hit by things. It's a 40 minute game with three difficulties and some random secrets and it's free on Steam so it is what it is.

Game 57: 404Sight (PC) | 47 Minutes | 09/04/16 | 2/5

This is a platformer about internet rights awareness or something. I don't know, the beginning and ending cutscenes have 95% of the story and I skipped both of them so oopsie doodles. The platforming is meh, air control isn't great and control in general is mildly adequate. Graphics are minimalist without being very appealing, doesn't really convey the internet vibe anyway. However, it does have first person platforming, which is the best part of the game but really disorienting. Once again, free game that ends as quickly as it comes, so it is what it is.

Game 58: Super Cat Planet (PC) | 2 Hours | 09/05/16 | 4/5

Cat Planet holds a very special place in my heart. I found it through raocow as I assume most people did and I played it a bunch a few years ago and liked it a lot. When I heard about this, I just had to play it and it's really damn good. It functions as a remake, more or less being the same game with new features. The added areas are well done and the old areas have been tweaked to be more interesting/difficult. Couple that with the bevy of new secrets and even new customization options and it becomes a fresh experience to something I've played countless times before. The only thing I could be negative about is sometimes due to the physics/momentum you just bounce so damn much that it's super easy to fuck up, which is just like the original so you just grin and bear it and continue to play the cat planet cat game planet planet. Cat planet is cat planet and super cat planet is cat planet with a super in front of it and boy howdy is it super.

Velcro Fly

Original Post

For the month of August I completed four games.

My current progress for this challenge is 47/52

1. Pokemon Blue – Finished on August 5 – 25 hours, 2 minutes
The Pokemon Go hype got me. Chose Bulbasaur to exploit the Leech Seed/Toxic combo bug. Bought the scam Magikarp and rode Gyarados to victory. Thought I got stuck in the basement of the Pokemon Mansion but got out. Give me Gold/Silver/Crystal already Nintendo.

2. Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box – Finished on August 6 – 18 hours, 6 minutes
Enjoyed most of the puzzles. A lot fewer with weird explanations that I had no idea what was expected of me. The story was kinda cool but towards the end it was a little hard to believe. I have five puzzles left from the main game and another dozen or so beyond that from unlocking things. As always a fun and charming experience that makes me feel amazing when I get the puzzles correct or like a buffoon when I don't.

3. Pokemon HeartGold – Finished on August 21 – 45 hours, 10 minutes
I wanted Heracross and I got him. I did a lot of level grinding in this game for fun and to get moves on pokemon like Slowbro and Vileplume. I even caught the shiny Gyarados and made it an HM slave. I really want to play the original Gen 2 games on VC again and hopefully Nintendo makes that happen. Killing three Dragonites with no dragon or ice moves was painful though.

4. Professor Layton and the Unwound Future – Finished on August 28 – 22 hours, 10 minutes
Same old charm and fun from the Layton series. After I finished the second game I bought the next four so I still have a few to go. I feel like the story this time around was a real strength and the mystery surrounding the story was secondary. I still have around a dozen main game puzzles to go plus a few side quest items to complete before tackling the super hard unlockable puzzles. My goal with every Layton game is to get enough picarats to unlock the movies from the Bonus section. I should be able to do that.

Oreoleo

The List!
Detailed Impressions 01-12
Detailed Impressions 13-26
Detailed Impressions 27-xx

31. Metro 2033 - 8 Hours
KDJ41AX.jpg

Metro 2033 has an uncanny ability to draw the player into its world. Where other games might be content with just presenting Metro's setting for the player to gawk at, Metro 2033 makes you live it. From hand-cranking your flashlight every few minutes to keep it working, to being on a perennial time limit every time you go to the surface due to the toxic air, to having decide whether to equip your military-grade ammo or save it to use as currency at the vendors, Metro 2033 is filled with little wrinkles and details that many other games wouldn't ever concern themselves with. And it's in spite of the game's average gunplay and near-broken stealth mechanics that these details make the game more than the sum of its parts. It's essentially a survival-horror shooter; a feeling of vulnerability pervades the entire game. When you run out of ammo mid fight or air filters while on the surface that feeling of vulnerability and reluctance turns into full-blown panic. It's rare for a game to elicit that kind of response, but Metro 2033 manages to pull it off over and over, even after having beaten the game twice previously. Some of the previously mentioned rough edges (lovingly referred to as "Eurojank") means it's not for everyone, but I can't recommend it enough.

Blindy

Games 21-30, which goes back from May through June are up and ready to be posted. Quite a few games that I know plenty like that I simply just did not so I mean no offense!

21) Mega Man Legends- 5/4-5/8

This is a semi blind playthrough as one of the things I got to accomplish in 2016 was run through the entire MML series as a whole, I watched friends play the game occasionally and I know the main core of characters but nothing more than that.

First things first….

Man that voice acting. If you legit need a laugh, you need to give this game a try for the english voice acting alone. The final boss....ho...ly...shit. HOW DID I FORGET THAT THING!?!?!?! Sounds like Michael Jackson, looks like a fucking anime waifu. That is a unintentionally funny boss, Capcom must have been out of their minds with that boss.

I like it that The Bonnes have the best voice acting in the game, they are the Mega Man universes answer to Team Rocket. Baby Bonne as the cute mascot, Tiesel Bonne as the hilarious over the top villain who never wins and The MML GOAT herself, Tron Bonne as the Mega Man loving, sassy mad scientist.

They really are the best things out of this series, there's a reason Tron(And Servbot) have been in Marvel vs Capcom games.

Controls were really annoying at times, I wish you can use the analog sticks but that's PS1 for ya again. Game clocked me in for about 8 hours, I didn't do the very mini sidequests. Didn't know I would get to the final boss like that so soon.

The music was really good stuff, the Tron Bonne theme was always good since MVC3 had a nice remastered version of her theme.

Very good game altogether, not must play by any means but I didn’t feel like my time was wasted.

22) Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End- 5/10-5/14
Did it live up to the GOTY hype? Nope. But that doesn’t mean the game was bad by any means. The only drawback for me was the consistent amount of non-activity and scenes of wondrous exploration. I am all for having down time and keeping a pace with the gameplay but the amount of it being done was a bit excessive and had it not been for the as always excellent dialogue, this could have really been unbearable. There also to me weren’t enough action scenes to sink my teeth into, like you having easily the best scene of the series in Madagascar and then….that’s pretty much it. It was such a tease, very frustrating….the final boss stunk and the excessive amount of big armored guys(I played on the hardest difficulty offered from the get go) got too much given they are unnecessary bullet sponges. The lack of paranormal beings in the game was a surprise too.

But the characters, the dialogue, the graphics, the story….I enjoyed it all and really had a grand old time with the game. It’s right after Bloodborne for the best PS4 exclusive out right now. The multiplayer I spent a few hours in and while it can get frustrating with how quick you can die, the multiplayer did offer up some fun, only adding to the experience for me.

That Naughty Dog fan service btw.

23) 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors- 4/19-5/14
(Getting my flame shields up and ready, please go easy on me Gaf….the game isn't long but I lost interest in being on top of this game)

I got 1 ending for 999, game felt very underwhelming to be honest on that 1st ending. Like it just all of a sudden just ended out of nowhere, hardly anything got resolved. I get you have to play more of the game to get multiple endings but the pace felt so off for the game, it got unnecessarily technical with the story it was telling as you got deeper into it, not sure if I go back into it or just jump into the sequel which I heard people preferred much better. I hope the pacing doesn't have it be 20 minutes of dialogue, 10 minute puzzle, 10 minute dialogue etc. I don't mind visual novels but I wish there's more control of this and much more breakdown of character background, something my 1st playthrough of this did not accomplish. I had no real attachment to any of the characters.

Might be a game I reconsider in 2017 as so many people adore this game and this series but unlike Danganronpa which gripped me pretty quickly, this just did nothing for me on the 1st playthrough. I don’t have the urge to go through everything again just to go for more endings.

What am I missing with this game? Is it wrong that I didn’t care for one character in my 1st playthrough of this game?

I really want to like this game might be a revisit in the next year so stay tuned. I have the sequel in my hands but I know plenty of people say you would be doing yourself a disservice to play it without getting the full experience from the 1st game.

24) Valiant Hearts: The Great War- 5/15-5/17

What an excellent game, I am so mad I missed out on playing this for 2014. EASILY I would have fought hard for this game to do well in the 2014 GOTY countdown. Great history lesson that there are no victors in war and that war brings out the very worst of mankind. Solid cast of characters, bunch of heartbreak throughout. The facts scattered throughout the game were phenomenal, the puzzles weren't complex but were fun, the gameplay at certain parts were really good. Very few gripes can I honestly say with this game, like I wish you could jump in the game, and the aiming was frustrating at times.

I really hope they do a sequel to this game for WW2, I easily recommend this game to people who have yet to play it. I got this free from PS Plus and it was such an excellent adventure.

25) The Misadventures of Tron Bonne- 5/18-5/22
Definitely more good than bad with this game, was a pleasant surprise in some regard given I had heard some lukewarm things about the game.

The Good:

- Simple story, nothing overdrawn, you play as Capcom anti heroine fav Tron Bonne(Tron Bonne>Ada Wong) and her adorable companions, the 40 Servbots as they try and rescue Bon "Baby" Bonne and Tiesel Bonne, her two brothers from a debt they owe from a hilarious duo of the flamboyantly fabulous Glyde(Who appears in MML2 if I remember right) and the guy he works for, whose name I legit forgot despite playing for 4 days I think Serge or something, that really says it all about how good of a character that dude was.

Game took me 8 hours, its nice to have a lot of freedom in trying to obtain the necessary sum of money to progress further into the story. For a game that cost me 1.99 due to a PSN Flash Sale, it was well worth it.

- Good amount of extras like weapons, different colors for your machine, different Servbot abilities that can be learned, its not something I would necessarily say I was all over it but its an option in the game at the very least.

- Pretty good music, was it all time great? No but it complimented the game well, like with a vast majority of Mega Man games. Few very catchy little tracks, especially a few of the boss battles.

The Bad:

- The run and gunning is still not fluid, very rough to try and run while shooting at enemies. Same problem existed for MML. Chalk it up to it being a PS1 game. Like for me, I have to stay still and shoot out blasts on the opponents and when I got enough energy tanks(40 by end game! 40 amounts of tanks ranging from small healing to full heal!) and got the 1/2 reduced armor, that I just said screw it and just tanked on shots and blasted them with the bazooka cannon. Wasn't worth it to go finesse and try and deal with the awkwardness that is run and gunning in this series.

- Game verges on being somewhat repetitive with 2 of the 6 main missions being puzzle blocks, 2 others revolving around running to a place by capturing pets or getting enough money/reaching checkpoints and a somewhat drawn out dungeon crawling RPG mode. You may find yourself bored with the game if you play it constantly, good to take breaks to not get overwhelmed by the redundancy. There are block puzzles that you have a limited amount of moves/lifts you can do to progress, a dungeon RPG that has you digging up treasure and exploring the mines to find a very expensive group of stones, a robbing the bank mission that has you on the run and going after loot and the police that try and stop you, a farm mission that you try and capture cows, pigs and horses while numerous enemies come after you(The final mission of this was AWFUL. LIKE AWFUL. Ridiculously spawning enemies that negate your movement without getting swiped and horses that you have do to a certain trick to stop them and a boss battle that if it gets 6 shots in on your accompanying vehicle that transports the animals, makes you start all over again....it runs much faster than your vehicle for god knows what reason and given your ranged weapon is limited, you have to be on top of this boss and not let it breathe)

- The voice acting, some good like The Bonnes, and ohhh some bad Its almost its so bad its good, especially the NPCs. More PS1 goodness man, this is really nitpicking because I again enjoyed this but take into account that this has the cheesy dialogue and cheesy storylines that are ever so predictable and kind of fall under clique after clique of stuff you've seen before(Inept character blunders his way throughout the game only to be the hero by the end, incompetent character consistently fails but is rewarded with a huge capture despite them being completely oblivious to what exactly happened)

- My biggest complaint is the lousy system of wanting to do upgrades because you have to bounce around place to place to find out which Servbot needs which item to allow you to build up your health, armor, weapons for your Gustaff machine. Actually took me a while to figure out there's a side option by pressing circle to get to give items to servbots.

This needed to be much more clearer and done much better, so much unnecessary transactions.

26) Broforce- 5/22-5/26
Very easy to pickup and play. Seeing INDIANA BRONES, ASH BROLIAMS, BROBOCOP, BROMINATOR, BRO IN BLACK AND SNAKE BROSKIN is fantastic. Its so awesome to watch you get a badass and just do in a deep voice say their name in excitement over what powers they bring straight out of movie. Just mindless fun but it needs to be said………….

The drop of FPS and tons of technical issues can really hamper your experience with the game. Again I love all the 80's throwback characters involved in this, I didn't even unlock em all! I played the game on Normal and while a vast majority of the game I breezed through, by the end due to the 10 FPS I felt I made the right decision as the game got much harder. For some strange reason, this game decided to just shit the bed with performance by the final 1/3 of the game, I just don't know how it happens because before today, the game was actually running well......I don't know what the heck happened.

Its just a shame between the slowtime and the 1-2 minutes of black screen before prompting the new area really sour on what is otherwise a fantastic game and a quick 6 or so hour playthrough. But hey this was a free PS Plus game so who am I to complain?

27) Overwatch(PS4)- 5/23-5/31(I am still playing this as we speak but 8 days was enough to give a convincing verdict on the game)

I am near 100 hours in the game and this has to be my 2016 GOTY thus far. I have not enjoyed or really digged myself into a FPS since the days of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark and multiplayer only FPS are the bane of my existence...so on paper, this game should have been the plague for me as a single player loving gamer. But I cannot help but enjoy games like this giving a free beta test to players, shows confidence in the product and gives people like me a taste for what we're in for and the game was the full experience too! The game is so simple to get into, so rewarding for even contributing a little bit of teamwork and patience and there is legit a hero for everybody, like a flavor of ice cream.

Me? I love Mercy, I love Zenyatta, I love Zarya, and I like Winston and Lucio too! I am team Support/Tank all the way. So many awesome moments with this game, so many people I have added to my friends list. I still play this game as we speak and in a year where the likes of Dark Souls, Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank have put out new games, 3 series I love....it is amazing Overwatch takes the cake. Like the game wasn't even on my radar yet here we stand today and it's going to take some miracle to knock this game off the pedestal. I feel like I got more than bang for my buck paying 48 dollars via Best Buy GCU.

Now there are problems, I wish there were more maps added and you can probably play through 2 sets of these maps in a 3 hour sit down for the game so putting in 100 hours can only see you consistently play the same couple of maps. They did add the German castle one but more would be welcomed. Competitive play has its perks and has its duds but I appreciate the effort and amount of trial/error the developers are doing for this game.

And of course, you have to mention the lootbox system which I proudly can say I never once bought a box(Albeit it is tempting) and the summer games timed costumes is lame but those are all cosmetic and not anything game altering which is of course great news.

It's the Rocket League of 2016 for me, it's a game I can come down after a hard day's work and just sink my teeth into.

28) Infamous: Second Son- 5/27-5/30(Good), 6/1-6/4(Evil)
Just 100% the Good/Hero side for InFamous: Second Son, Evil side I didn't want to go into the repetition of doing quests that share similarities maybe aside from dialogue with the hero side.

Really shocked I actually did this, I started the game back on Friday so this weekend I dedicated much time between this and Overwatch(Which is just so fun). The Memorial Day Weekend really proved to make the difference. The game is more of the same, though I did like it quite a bit and thought it was a very well done game. Its one of those games that you really should not go and rush through it since the game can and will get very repetitive, like the same few "fetch quests" if you even call em that. The main story I thought was done well though it shocked me how quick the game wrapped up, in like a span of an hour I somehow, someway just finish the game and caught myself in shock about it. But man I pushed through all of that 100% percent, the good news is a vast majority of that stuff I don't have to do as a villain, there are just a few things I would have to do. I don't know about the platinum since there are some trophies that seem kinda silly to try and attempt to get but a 100% run for both sides(Well I wont be doing a few things for the villain so I think this could be a quicker playthrough) is good enough for me!

Now finished Evil Karma side of InFamous: Second Son. I didn't go 100 percent for this as I didn't feel the need into doing so given I got the trophies from my 100% good playthrough, game if you just go through the story is relatively quick. Not too many changes besides the ending for the evil side.

I like the game but yeah this is a series that can get very repetitive, as is the case with plenty of open world games. Batman series are like the lone exception to this for me and Sunset Overdrive but I have played Batman:Arkham Knight, Mad Max, Sunset Overdrive and InFamous: Second Son in a span of less than a year, so I think I will take a break from this genre, maybe until Horizon if that is a fetch quest game or if there's a narrative in it. Like with InFamous the original, this is a game that's meant to be played for like 1 or 2 hours at most per day for the fear of really feeling like much of what you're doing is the same old.

Sucker Punch continues to usher out solid game after game, I do hope their name title is either a new IP or Sly Cooper though.

29) Gone Home: Console Edition 6/9
The game by all accounts is either a “Love it or hate it” verdict, if so you can count me in the latter. Game lasted 2 hours so by all means, this is a perfect game for this 52 game challenge but that’s about all it accomplished for me. There was no real connection for me in the game, felt like the exploration that I was doing had no real meaning, felt like nothing happened throughout the duration of the game(I had a little scare by the very end of the game but that’s about it as far as having a feeling from this game and even then that led to nothing). Game just felt like a waste of time, glad I got this free for PS Plus. I guess I just did not get the appeal of the game, maybe I am more of the category of needing a story to be drived to me as opposed to the opposite end of the spectrum. Game wasn’t fun or entertaining and those are 2 things I want to play games for.

30) South Park: The Stick of Truth- 6/18-6/23
So I preordered South Park: The Fractured But Whole but what sold me on doing this was the free South Park: Stick of Truth that came along with preordering it on the PS4.....so I have played this game the past few nights, absolutely awesome game! The amount of times I have smiled and laughed throughout this game has been countless, so many references I get as an older South Park viewer. Such a well done game, I honestly can't wait for this December. This has to be a dark horse game for GOTY 2016. I am so impressed with how great of a game this is.

Must play for any South Park fan regardless if you are a diehard fan or not and a very easy to play RPG in itself, 1-2 bosses gave me a challenge(Granted I played on normal mode, didn't know you can swap difficulties), it was always a game on my must play since it came out in 2014 but for whatever reason, I just could not pull the trigger on the game but I am so glad I did.

I am done with 39 games at the moment and working on a few others, so my list is catching up to the months so next list should be pretty recent!

chrixter

Main post

31. Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions Evolved
★★★★☆ - 5 hours - Completed 8/22/2016
Finally got around to the DLC campaign, and although it's essentially more of the same, it was an enjoyable reminder of how great this game is.

32. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
★★★★★ - 75 hours - Completed 9/2/2016
Human Revolution (my 2011 GOTY) allowed me to indulge in my stealth predator power fantasies to a degree no other game had, and in that regard Mankind Divided delivers, offering a few new bells and whistles and letting me loose in some shiny new sandboxes. Everything about its gameplay and design does feel extremely familiar (perhaps too familiar for a sequel in development for 5 years), but it's still so satisfying to play. And although the main plot fails to deliver in any way, there are plenty of interesting stories to be discovered by completing the game's side missions, digging through the many emails and pocket secretaries, and exploring and soaking in the world's environmental design and set dressing. In two weeks after release, I put in 75 hours over five playthroughs... My GOTY unless Dishonored 2 or something unexpected can top it.

Dryk

Original Post - Part 1
Original Post - Part 2
Original Post - Part 3

#32: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided: 35.1 hours
I loved Human Revolution, my last computer upgrade was so I can play it. Funnily enough I just got a new graphics card in part so I can play this so history repeats.

Mankind Divided is more Human Revolution with a number of design and quality of life improvements for better or worse. Some, like being able to move from cover to cover more easily are immediately apparent while others are more subtle. For instance if you do a takedown from behind cover/through a doorway the game realises that you probably don't want to leave the body exposed and plays an animation that drops it in a favourable position.

The level design is also more intricate a lot of the time, with even more approach options for objectives. There was a number of times where I found two or three ways through a level via the ventilation or maintenance spaces alone. There's also more augmentation options available but I didn't use most of them, only unlocking remote hacking and the PEPS. Remote hacking is amazing but the PEPS gun generated too much noise to be useful.

There's quite a few really interesting and meaty sidequests too. And the game has conversation battles out the wazoo. Just talking to people is often my favourite part of Deus Ex so I'm happy this game has a lot of it.

It's not all sunshine and roses of course. The animation is still as janky as ever despite the otherwise vast graphical improvements and the AI is still dumb as bricks. Takedowns are still overpowered as shit too, as is the non-lethal weaponry in general because it quickly and silently knocks people out and its almost impossible for guards to be woken up. I think Dishonored handles the non-lethal vs lethal stuff a bit better with how long it takes to knock someone unconscious as well as how much easier it is to dispose of a dead body. The hub also becomes a giant pain in the arse in the last part of the game. Also as a kick in the teeth the preorder/digital version DLC mission is very obviously ripped from the main questline and the story is worse for it. It sucks.

Krafter

Completed games list

BAM, 52 games completed. Long weekend with some dead time while the girls were school shopping was the culprit, got a ton of gaming done. Game 52 was very nearly "Home", but I hit a bug which stopped my process. Somewhat soured on the whole thing, I finished Tales From Space instead.

Game 51: Painkiller (PC) - September 1 - 13 hours
Old school PC shooter, plays like a combination of Serious Sam and Blood, and I mean that in the best possible way. Weapons and some levels were hit-and-miss, but the simplicity of the plot and gameplay was absolutely dead on. The game ended well, as the last 2 levels in particular were really cool and memorable. Not necessarily a classic, but safely in the next rung below.

Game 52: Tales From Space: About a Blob (PS3) - September 4 - 9 hours
Alien Blob platformer with stellar art and a touch of Katamari, with a 50's Sci-Fi theme. I was not very good at this, but the "Orange monster" (according to my 3 year old) jumping about and eating stuff makes it worth it. I prefer the more streamlined sequel, which I played a few years back, but the original is a good game as well.

Aru

I think I can do this this year.
So far, 40 games:

3DS:
Phoenix Wright : Ace Attorney : Justice for All
Fire Emblem Fates : Héritage

Android:
Adventures of Mana

GBC:
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX

GBA:
Wario Land 4

Game Gear:
The G.G. Shinobi
Shinobi 2 : Silent Fury

NES:
Super Mario Bros. 2

PC:
Azure Striker Gunvolt
DeadCore
Naruto Shippuden : Ultimate Ninja Storm 4
The Legend of Korra
Dead Space 2
Half-Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy
Shantae : Risky's Revenge Director's Cut
Far Cry 3 : Blood Dragon
Mortal Kombat X
The Typing of the Dead : Overkill
Odallus : The Dark Call

PS1:
Tomba!
Rayman
Mega Man 8

PS3:
The Guided Fate Paradox
Puppeteer
Atelier Shallie

PS4:
Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition
The Order : 1886
Dragon Quest Heroes : Le crépuscule de l'arbre du monde
Infamous : First Light
Transistor
Soldats Inconnus : Mémoire de la Grande Guerre
Furi
Saints Row : Gat Out of Hell

PSP:
Brandish : The Dark Revenant
Corpse Party
God of War : Ghost of Sparta

PSV:
J-Stars Victory VS+
Shovel Knight
Oddworld : New 'n Tasty
Ar nosurge Plus : Ode to an Unborn Star

My average is at more than 4 games a month. <4 months left, 12 games left.
Let's do this!

Edit (Dec 3): Now 50 games!

By date:

1. Brandish: The Dark Revenant (PSP/Vita) - Jan 10 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734; - Playtime: 17h30 (Ares) + 6h21 (Dela)
  2. Azure Striker Gunvolt (PC) - Jan 19 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; - Playtime: 9h20
  3. Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition (PS4) - Jan 23 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734; - Playtime: 6h39
  4. DeadCore (PC) - Feb 8 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; - Playtime: 6h40 in-game, 10h Steam
  5. Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 (PC) - Feb 12 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734; - Playtime: 9h Steam
  6. J-Stars Victory VS+ (Vita) - Feb 18 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734; - Playtime: ??? (1/4 playthrough only)
  7. The Order: 1886 (PS4) - Feb 18 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; - Playtime: ???
  8. Adventures of Mana (Shield TV) - Feb 27 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; - Playtime: 9h20
  9. Corpse Party (PSP/Vita + walkthrough for final chapter/best ending) - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; - Playtime: ???
  10. 4. Wario Land 4 (3DS VC) - Mar 12 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734; - Playtime: 5h30
  11. The Guided Fate Paradox (PS3) - Mar 12 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734; - Playtime: 33h40
  12. Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below (PS4) - Apr 1 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;
  13. The Legend of Korra (PC) - Apr 5 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; - Playtime: 4h Steam
  14. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All (3DS) - Apr 5 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734; - Playtime: 25h03
  15. Shovel Knight + Plague of Shadows (Vita) - Apr 24 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733; - Playtime: 5h56 (SK) + 7h46 (PoS)
  16. Dead Space 2 (PC) - Apr 26 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734; - Playtime: 8h30
  17. Tomba! (PS1 Emulator w/ save states + cheats: infinite lives, infinite wings + walkthrough) - May 1 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; - Playtime: 5h58
  18. The G.G. Shinobi (GG Emulator w/ save states) - May 02 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734; - Playtime: 1h44
  19. Puppeteer (PS3) - May 5 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; - Playtime: ???
  20. God of War: Ghost of Sparta (PSP/Vita) - May 11 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; - Playtime: 6h
  21. Infamous: First Light (PS4) - May 17 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; - Playtime: ???
  22. Oddworld: New 'n Tasty (Vita) - May 28 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734; - Playtime: 7h04
  23. Transistor (PS4) - June 3 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; - Playtime: ???
  24. Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS VC) - June 12 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; - Playtime: 5h20
  25. Valiant Hearts: Memories of the Great War (PS4) - June 15 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; - Playtime: ???
  26. Half-Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy (PC) - June 19 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; - Playtime: 8h Steam
  27. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (3DS VC) - June 26 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734; - Playtime: 12h25
  28. Atelier Shallie (PS3) - July 11 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; - Playtime: 20h24
  29. Rayman (PS1 Emulator + walkthrough + infinite lives) - July 18 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734; - Playtime: ???
  30. Mega Man 8 (PS1 Classics/Vita) - July 24 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734; - Playtime: ???
  31. Furi (PS4) - July 25 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734; - Playtime: 10h40
  32. Ar nosurge Plus: Ode to an Unborn Star (Vita) - Aug 3 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; - Playtime: 25h
  33. Shantae : Risky's Revenge Director's Cut (PC) - Aug 4 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; - Playtime: 6-7h
  34. Shinobi 2 (GG Emulator w/ save states) - Aug 4 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734; - Playtime: ??? (a couple hours)
  35. Far Cry 3 : Blood Dragon (PC) - Aug 17 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; - Playtime: 5h30
  36. Mortal Kombat X (PC) - Aug 26 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; - Playtime: 4h
  37. The Typing of the Dead: Overkill (PC) - Aug 30 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; - Playtime: 5h
  38. Odallus: The Dark Call - Sep 1 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734; - Playtime: 6h07 (100% in-game)
  39. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright (3DS) - Sep 4 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734; - Playtime: 16h30
  40. Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell (PS4) - Sep 9 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; - Playtime: 4h21
  41. Super Mario Bros. 3 (3DS VC) - Sep 14 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734; - Playtime: 7h58
  42. Prinny 2: Dawn of Operation Panties, Dood ! (PSP/Vita) - Sep 29 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; - Playtime: 11h15 (299 lives left, baby mode)
  43. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest (3DS) - Oct 15 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734; - Playtime: 15-16h
  44. Resident Evil (HD Remaster / PS4) - Oct 28 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734; - Playtime: 10h45
  45. Transformers: Devastation (PS4) - Nov 10 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734; - Playtime: ???
  46. Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (Vita) - Nov 11 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; - Playtime: 18h51
  47. Yoshi’s Island (3DS VC) - Nov 21 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734; - Playtime: 9h37
  48. Not A Hero (Mac) - Nov 27 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734; - Playtime: 5h Steam
  49. Batman : Arkham Knight (PC) - Nov 30 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; - Playtime: 18h
  50. A King’s Tale : Final Fantasy XV (PS4) - Dec 1 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; - Playtime: ???
  51. Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians (Mac) - Dec 11 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; - Playtime: 4.8h Steam
  52. Final Fantasy XV (PS4) - Dec 21 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734; - Playtime: 29h10 until final boss beaten, but will continue playing

I did it !

Full List

I haven't updated since April! I am doubting I will make it this year since I've devoted most of the summer to the Trails series...and am about to start Cold Steel 2. Then again I spent two months in FF14 last year and still made it, so who knows?

May

NO GAMES!

June

20. Mad Max / 60 hrs

I loved the game, though it got mind numbingly repetitive.

21. Uncharted 4 / 15 hrs

People complained about the climbing and driving, but I would love a whole game of the jeep and diving sections.

22. Witcher 3: Blood and Wine / 30 hrs

Fantastic expansion for a insanely huge game. Glad to put the whole thing to bed though!

23. Inside / 4 hrs

That last 20 minutes are some of the most joyous, fun and disgusting I played all year!

July

24. Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma / 21 hrs

I thought this lived up well to the legacy. Not perfect but still satisfying all the same.

25. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC / 75 hrs

These games have such a slow build but the experience is worth it. The world building is amazing. Can't wait for the 3rd.

August

26. Ratchet and Clank / 15 hrs

Very good remake.

27. Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel / 68 hrs

The improvements to the battle system and overall speed of play are so appreciated....cannot wait to continue the series.

September

28. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided / 40 hrs

I spent probably 20 hrs in Prague before visiting TF29 for the first time...I shouldn't have done that. But I still loved the experience overall.

28 games / 878 hrs

Oreoleo

The List!

32. No Man's Sky - 43 Hours
SOckVam.jpg

I have nothing bad to say about Sean Murray. I think the online backlash against him in particular is rather embarrassing. However. This game is ultimately a disappointment. A monumental waste of potential. The core idea of the game, hopping from solar system to solar system and landing on planets to explore, is sound. The systems surrounding it brings everything down, sadly. The first 10-20 hours can be really exciting and invigorating, but soon enough you start to see the forest for the trees: the individual pieces that make up every animal. Hot/cold/toxic/poisonous environments boiling down to which protective shield gets depleted, the same element needed to recharge all of them, with no other discernible traits between climates. Differences between planets ultimately amount to whether it has Aluminium, Chrysonite (it's never Chrysonite), or Emeril as the lone neutral element since the animals, planet geography, climate, sentinel aggression etc has no bearing to the player. Space combat is literally pointless. There is no reward or greater meaning to finishing the Atlas path. There is no reward or greater meaning for reaching the center of the galaxy. There are no new abilities to unlock, only incremental upgrades for the equipment and abilities you already have. Ships are functionally identical, with the only differences being cosmetic and how many slots it has. The game is all carrot-on-a-stick gameplay and sooner or later you realize there isn't even a carrot to chase! Exploration is completely neutered by every moon, every planet, every single place you will ever travel in the entire universe will never be more than two minutes away from a space station, trading post, observatory, or any of the other half dozen prefabricated facilities that litter the galaxy like a plague, all with a little friendly alien to talk to and keep you company. Land on a planet and survey the immediate surrounding area, congratulations you now know what the other 99.9% of the planet will consist of. Get whatever you need that you can't buy from a trader and move on to the next one. There's no sense of discovery because there's nothing to discover. For all the amount of space you have to roam there's NO sense of isolation because there are NPC's EVERYWHERE. No sense of exploration because you don't have to explore to find anything. The game is too afraid to let you get yourself stranded or stuck that it puts everything you ever need a stone's throw away from you. It's telling to me that the most memorable experiences involved finding crashed ships, either because you found one without being expressly told beforehand where it is, or if you *were* expressly told about it you might have to fly halfway around a planet to reach it, giving an incredibly fleeting sense of journey and adventure. I wonder where it all went wrong. Everything feels so shallow. The size of the game feels like a bullet point to put on the back of the box. This could have been twice the game it is if there were instead only ~100 planets that were all hand-curated. I'm honestly bewildered at how there could be so many missteps and missed opportunities in one game. There's a foundation for a good game in there, but it's mired by so much videogamey bullshit I'm skeptical it will ever evolve into a worthwhile experience.

ChryZ

Index

41. Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine / Sega Classics (Steam, 2016/08/26, 2.5 hours)

It's still weird to play this re-branded Puyo Puyo game, but at least Carbuncle survived the makeover. I prefer the Puyo Puyo characters and story, but the Robotnik spin isn't bad and the end sequences are still very awesome.

42. Grow Up (Steam, 2016/08/28, 7.4 hours)

I love Grow Home, but Grow Up is on a whole different level, almost makes its predecessor feel like a prototype or proof of concept! It's a poster child of a sequel. The playground got extended to a whole planet and periphery. I'd guess 4-6 times the size of the original game. Yet the new tool kit makes it so much easier to get around. Useful plant life can be DNA scanned and replicated at will and allows for even more playful high jinks. They've upgraded the engine from Unity 4 to 5 and took advantage of a few more expensive rendering techniques, so it's unfortunately a bit more taxing the hardware. This bummed me out at the beginning, but as soon as the world opened up it was more understandable. Zipping around the planet seamlessly with the given level of detail and even with additions of player created plant life is pretty impressive after all. I had a blast mainlining the story and will be back for some clean up.

43. RefleX (Steam, 2016/08/30, 7.7 hours)

This doujin SHMUP is the second game in The Tale of ALLTYNEX trilogy. There are moments of bullet hell, but dodging isn't the main key to survival. The player can trigger a shield to absorb bullets, but also deflect blues ones and turn them against the enemy. This technique is a mix of skill and risk/reward. Deflected bullets do way more damage and can end bosses rapidly. The shield isn't unlimited and drains energy, even impacts the shooting power and spread when completely drained. The combination of shooting, deflecting, dodging and shield management makes RefleX a lot of fun and interesting. Rock solid presentation with nice sprite work, tons of Saturn like 2D scaling and parallax effects. The game isn't easy, but never unfair. It will make you work and the progression of gaining skills is very rewarding and satisfying.

44. Steredenn (Steam, 2016/09/08, 26 hours)

I got roped in by the stunning sprite work, animation, thrashing metal soundtrack and stayed for a ball busting roguelike bullet hell SHMUP with permadeath. It's one of those games, that will make you work for every inch of progress, but once you learned its ways, everything snaps into place. Weapon drops are random, so are power ups, enemy waves are procedurally generated and so you never know how each run will turn out. The only constant is the bosses and their behavior. The bosses are finely tuned and allow very few mistakes. Thankfully the player can train for specific bosses from the main menu's arena mode. Your ship can only take a certain amount of hits, there aren't health drops within the level, only after each boss the health gets fully restocked. This results in lots of nerve wrecking drama and close calls. Steredenn is insanely polished and balanced. The game is never unfair, but odds can end up not being in the players favor. There were plenty of soul crushing runs, but Steredenn is so much fun that I always ended up coming back for more (punishment).

Zareka

Master post.

August

Game 25 - Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary (MCC port)

oQGWMod.jpg

Not much to say here either! I played this on 360 years ago, but played through it again co-op this time. It's pretty fun, and the gameplay holds up surprisingly well. Seriously, for someone who usually can't stand old FPS games, I had genuine fun with this instead of just putting up with it. Great game.

Aaahhhahhha I'm never finishing 50 games before the end of this year. Damn you, MMOs! Stop eating all my time! I'm almost finished with Oreshika, but the RNG factor is murdering my progress. Total standstill at times. I will persevere.

Next up! - Oreshika god damn it

Original post

7QGi3YOl.jpg

45. Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X (PS4, 2016) - 9:54
All songs unlocked and cleared on Normal or higher. 10 crystals collected, 18% cleared requests (14% golden clears).

Project Diva X was supposed to be the Hatsune Miku game people didn't like. It added a story mode that seemed to get in the way of how most people played the game, it changed the way modules worked so you couldn't earn them directly anymore, but had to collect them as random drops, and it dropped the interactive music video backgrounds for concert scenes.

Maybe if I was a more ardent fan of the Miku games, this would be pretty concerning. But though I've mostly enjoyed my time with Project Diva f/F and Project Mirai DX, I found Diva X to be my favourite so far of the bunch. All of the elements above that might turn off hardcore Miku fans are actually improvements or lateral moves to me. The plot of story mode is paper thin, but the progression it enforces actually provided the carrot I apparently needed to keep playing after running through all the songs once, which was usually where I would stop with previous Miku games. The event requests system in particular provided not only a tiny bit of character background for the game's six vocaloids, but also challenges I probably wouldn't have seeked out on my own. Why would I ever try to beat a song on Extreme, if not for the event request Diva X gives you absurdly early on for the hardest version of Ai Dee? But now I can say I've beaten a Project Diva track on the hardest difficulty level.

The random drops are in most ways a poor substitute for being able to buy whatever you wanted with Diva Points you earn in the game, but they're a lot better for me because I basically never bothered buying any modules, accessories or gifts at all. Confronted with giant lists of items to buy, it was just easier to avoid the question altogether, or at best buy maybe one or two outfits that looked cool and forget the rest of the Diva Room stuff. Instead, in Diva X, I get showered with them constantly. If I were looking for something specific, I agree that the new system would suck, and Sega could've easily kept the ability to buy modules yourself while also giving you random drops. But for me, this is an improvement over previous games.

As for the music video shoots being replaced with concert choreography and more static venue backdrops: I kind of don't care. Actually, in some ways I kind of prefer the new backgrounds; there's more of a focus on dancing and singing, versus the occasional narrative structures or mysterious visual collages of previous games. Even then, though, the differences aren't that stark; I'd actually forgotten for a while that this was a complaint from people who imported Diva X earlier.

Diva X also manages to include more memorable songs than other games in the series, at least to me. Ai Dee and the Capsule-inspired Satisfaction are two obvious highlights, but besides the final medley, it's hard to find a bad song in the bunch. The inclusion of cloud-specific medleys also means old favourites return in shortened, remixed form. It's no match for the 200+ songs in Future Tone, but it's a pretty good foundation for a rhythm game.

I'm a bit surprised that Diva X is now my favourite Hatsune Miku game, but here we are. Heartily recommended.

GAME #1.The Turing Test (Xbox One)
GAME #2.D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (PC)
GAME #3.A Bird Story (PC)
GAME #4.No Man's Sky (PC)
GAME #5.Kingdom: New Lands (PC_
GAME #6.BATMAN: The Telltale's Game Series (PC)
GAME #7.ABZU (PC)
GAME #8.We Happy Few (Xbox One)
GAME #9.Quadrilateral Cowboy (PC)
GAME #10.Overcooked (PS4)
GAME #11.Bear With Me (PC)
GAME #12.Asemblance (PC)
GAME #13.Inside (Xbox One)
GAME #14. Pony Island (PC)
GAME #15. Hyper Light Drifter (PC)
GAME #16. To The Moon (PC)
GAME #17. The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine (Xbox One)
GAME #18. Mighty No. 9 (PS4)
GAME #19. Overwatch (PC)
GAME #20. DOOM (PS4)
GAME #21. The Witness (PC)
GAME #22. Stephen's Sausage Roll (PC)
GAME #23. Firewatch (PC)
GAME #24. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Manhattan (Xbox One)
GAME #25. Quantum Break (Xbox One)
GAME #26. The Banner Saga (PC)
GAME #27. The Banner Saga 2 (PC)
GAME #28. Uncharted 4 (PS4)
GAME #29. Gone Home (PC)
GAME #30. Far Cry Primal (Xbox One)
GAME #31. The Division (Xbox One)
GAME #32. Unravel (Xbox One)
GAME #33. Rocket League (PC)
GAME #34. Hitman Go (Mobile)
GAME #35. Hitman (PS4)
GAME #36. Superhot (PC)
GAME #37. Adr1ft (PC)
GAME #38. Slain! (PC)
GAME #39. Homefront: The Revolution (PS4)
GAME #40. Lords of the Fallen (Xbox One)
GAME #41. Sunset Overdrive (Xbox One)
GAME #42. Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist (PC)
GAME #43. ReCore (Xbox One)
GAME #44. Oceanhorn (Xbox One)
GAME #45 Lara Croft Go (Mobile)
GAME #46 Virginia (PC)
GAME #47 Metrico+ (PC)
GAME #48 World of Final Fantasy (PS4)
GAME #49 Rez Infnite (PS4)
GAME #50 Titanfall 2 (PS4)
GAME #51 Everybody's Gone to The Rapture (PS4)
GAME #52 Small Radios Big Televisions (PS4)
GAME #53 The Last Guardian (PS4)
GAME #54 Final Fantasy XV (PS4)

GOTY contenders: Titanfall 2, Inside, The Witness.

January
  1. Satellite Reign - 16 hours - 1/1 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;
  2. Her Story - 3 hours - 1/2 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  3. You Must Build a Boat - 17 hours - 1/24 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;
  4. Read Only Memories - 10 hours - 1/25 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;
  5. Why Am I Dead At Sea - 8 hours - 1/26 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  6. Shan Gui - 1 hour - 1/26 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;
  7. Anna's Quest - 10 hours - 1/28 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;

February
  8. Firewatch - 4 hours - 2/6 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;
  9. Hexcells - 3 hours - 2/7 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;

March
  10. To Be or Not To Be - 5 hours - 3/28 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;

April
  11. Nekopara Vol. 2 - 3 hours - 4/1 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;
  12. Karaski: What Goes Up . . . - 7 hours - 4/10 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;
  13. Danganronpa - 41 hours - 4/30 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;

May
  14. Superhot - 8 hours - 5/7 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;
  15. Dark Souls III - 100 hours - 5/9 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  16. Ref-Rain - 20 hours - 5/13 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;
  17. Costume Quest 2 - 6 hours - 5/14 - &#9733;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;
  18. Dyscourse - 5 hours - 5/15 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;
  19. Gods Will Be Watching - 14 hours - 5/17 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  20. Invisible Inc - 30 hours - 5/19 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  21. The Coma - 3 hours - 5/20 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;
  22. Sunset - 4 hours - 5/21 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;
  23. Void and Meddler - 3 hours - 5/22 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;
  24. Sword Daughter - 2 hours - 5/22 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;
  25. Koihime Enbu - 8 hours - 5/24 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;

June
  26. Break Chance Memento - 20 hours - 6/5 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;
  27. Dr Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald - 2 hours - 6/6 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;
  28. Neon Drive - 9 hours - 6/20 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;
  29. Halcyon 6 - 10 hours - 6/22 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;
  30. Overfall - 8 hours - 6/25 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;
  31. STASIS - 9 hours - 6/27 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  32. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes- 8 hours - 6/28 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  33. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - 87 hours - 6/29 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;

July
  34. Icarus X - 4 hours - 7/1 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;
  35. Hypership Out of Control - 4 hours - 7/1 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;
  36. Pony Island - 5 hours - 7/2 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;
  37. Race the Sun - 5 hours - 7/3 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;
  38. Deathsmiles - 7 hours - 7/7 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;
  39. Lost Girl's [Diary] - 1 hour - 7/8 - &#9733;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;
  40. Aviary Attorney - 6 hours - 7/9 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;
  41. LISA - 30 hours - 7/10 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  42. Killing Time at Lightspeed - 3 hours - 7/14 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;
  43. Quadrilateral Cowboy - 4 hours - 7/21 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;
  44. Forgotten Not Lost - 1 hour - 7/23 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;
  45. Rimworld - 50 hours - 7/30 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;

August
  46. Momodora III - 3 hours - 8/13 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  47. Muv-Luv - 30 hours - 8/14 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  48. Hacknet - 16 hours - 8/27 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;
  49. Muv-Luv Alternative - 80 hours - 8/30 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;

September
  50. INSIDE - 4 hours - 9/1 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  51. Moirai - 1 hour - 9/3 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;
  52. Tormentum - 10 hours - 9/5 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;

Eblo

Master Post

Hit the character limit, so it's time for another post!

250px-BattleForBikiniBottom.jpg

SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom: August 13-16
This, on the other hand, proved to be just as good as I remember. A truly acceptable licensed game. The gameplay is simply fun, the characters actually play uniquely, the level design is solid, the plot is okay, it's fun to explore and collect things and to do every mission, and the goals set are completely appropriate as the game progresses. There's not a ton of stuff to bring down, except maybe the very last levels feeling rushed in design. Battle for Bikini Bottom shares a lot of similarities with the Spyro series, namely in terms of a Moneybags-type character, collecting useless currency, writing, level design, certain floating text design, and the fact that I now know that Tom Kenny happens to voice Spyro. BfBB is a good game, not even considering that it's licensed.
The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie: August 16-17
This game is one of those sequels that are ruined by a series of small changes that add up to bring the entire thing down. The level order is completely linear, there's no hub world, no Sandy, little motivation to revisit levels, not much exploration, and it's simply not as fun. It's an okay game, but the previous installment was a good game. This game feels licensed to the core.
Rhythm Heaven Megamix: August 19-28
Rhythmic fun with dumb/silly ideas behind them. I enjoyed every game except for the coin toss. Fuck that game. I really enjoyed the remix stages that threw all kinds of stuff at you. High replay value.
Tomb Raider (2013): August 20-26
One of those impulse purchases that turned out to be a very good decision. I never really played the series beyond the first game when it originally came out, but I saw brief snippets of gameplay and decided I had to try it. I was not disappointed. Crystal Dynamics proved they could modernize the series without losing what made it Tomb Raider. I like raiding tombs. I like fighting enemies. I like stealthing. I like upgrading my shit. Everything about the game is fun, except maybe hunting for GPS caches. The other extra stuff encourages exploration just fine, but one can easily miss those tiny caches. Difficulty continues to rise steadily to match the player's new skills and equipment. The primary drawback of this story is predictability expected of the survival genre; be it character deaths, character un-deaths, contrived coincidences, what have you. Gameplay and story might have also taken a few too many cues from the Uncharted series, but I'm willing to look past those in favor of an enjoyable game. See you in October, Rise of the Tomb Raider.
The World Ends With You: August 28-September 3
After being pestered for years by a friend to play this and desiring to play more DS hardware-based games, I went for it. My final opinion is mixed. Gameplay is unique and very fun, especially once you master controlling two different characters on separate screens via unique input methods. It goes further when you strive for clearing chain battles in under a minute. The story is interesting and has all kinds of potential. The late game is where I focus my criticism. The plot gets very sparse and uninteresting. Instead of properly rising in difficulty, later enemies just have beefed stats and are greater in number. Forced Reaper encounters happen out the ass. And then there's a noticeable gap from the climax and the ending with no real explanation. Knowing Nomura and Square Enix, this is probably haphazardly explained in unlockable postgame journals. I am not a fan of that. A story needs to be resolved in the story, not after the story. All these things together give off a strong impression of a rushed game. The thing could have ended a week earlier and would have been better off for it.

Half_Minute_Hero_2_Cover.jpg

Half Minute Hero: The Second Coming: 2014-September 7
Having left this game unfinished for years, I returned just to see what it could be capable of. I was not disappointed. As with before, the soundtrack delivers, and the game manages to deliver a good plot despite its parodic and seemingly simplistic nature. Hero 30-type gameplay is still fun, and it has even more variety than in the original game. Furthermore, Hero 30 is all there is. The different gameplay modes that the first game offered did not return, which I found to dampen the experience. The original HMH had other modes revolving around 30 seconds that ranged from being an Evil Lord to doing a backwards 30 second counter as a knight. They also offered more serious narratives than Hero 30's story did. HMH2's Hero 30 modes did manage to have more a interesting and darker plot--especially so with Coo's story. There are some more set pieces as well, stronger than the first game. It is unfortunate that the ending is not as climactic as I had hoped. I have yet to try the multiplayer modes, but the level creator is really fun and adds a ton of replay value for those willing to indulge.
Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice: September 8-17
Since this is such a spoilery game and this is not the thread for spoilers, I'll keep my review concise. AA6 is fresh. It avoided most if not all the mistakes that Dual Destinies made. The gimmicks aren't shoehorned as much; they're used infrequently enough that they serve the game well. Some gameplay and presentation elements have undergone much needed evolution, such as more cinematic courtroom scenes and testimonies. Some returning characters get some more expansion and development. The new characters feel right at home, especially the ones that persist between cases. The pun-based names are more distracting than they are charming. The last case is really well written and climactic in its resolution, thus making it one of my favorite cases in the series. I'm glad this game proved to be much more enjoyable than the previous installment. My faith in future Ace Attorney titles has been restored.
Journey: September 17
I'll just say it. I don't get it. I didn't enjoy anything about it, really. I made sure to keep my expectations low, and I was still disappointed. The entire game is spent moving from point A to point B, and then the movement became slower as time went on. Just when it seemed like something might happen, it didn't. It's a mind-numbing artsy fartsy hour where nothing happens. Even though this was free on PS+, I feel like I was ripped off somehow. I'm sure some art snobs would be keen to let me know how ignorant I am of the nonexistent symbolism or how the limited interaction makes a statement. The game is so vague that it could be interpreted to mean literally anything someone wants it to. Even if I am missing something, that doesn't justify how not fun Journey is.
A Link to the Past: September 17-20
I attempted this game once before, but I went in expecting Ocarina of Time and gave up after not enjoying myself too much. It's been quite a long time since then, and I've matured enough to appreciate ALttP for what it is rather than what it isn't. I can see all the leaps it made for the series. Fairly ahead of its time. I like that it does something different from most Zelda games with the big key having multiple uses. I have to say that some of the later puzzles are pretty ridiculous. Hidden switches get old. And the antagonists fail to be really interesting. The motive just seems to be "muhahaha I desire power." Certainly not bad for its time, however.
Link's Awakening DX: September 20-24
I enjoyed Link's Awakening far more than I did ALttP. It introduced to the Zelda series more than its predecessor. The game oozes personality. Each item is more integrated with the core gameplay. It dared to go to a unique setting far removed from Hyrule. It dared to have a plot unrelated to Ganon, Zelda, or the Triforce. The overworld feels more cohesive and interwoven than ALttP's Hyrule. The characters are hilarious and likable. Link seems to have some semblance of a personality for once. The writers weren't afraid to forego complete seriousness in favor of humor and absurdity, such as the presence of Kirby and Mario enemies. It also features very light elements of Zelda II in the form of the 2D platforming. Marin, Koholint, and the people on it were deeply compelling entities that strove to have a surprisingly dark ending with a sense of finality for everything you had seen throughout your journey. Majora's Mask seems to be the closest in terms of the character and personality of Link's Awakening. I would love to see Nintendo recreate this sort of poetic narrative in the series once more.
Oracle of Seasons: September 24-27
Capcom did an admirable job of taking up the mantle for the Zelda series. Oracle of Seasons seems to be the result of easing up on Zelda's puzzles and emphasizing the combat. Being someone who prefers the series's puzzles to its combat, I did not enjoy this as much as other Zelda games. Some of the dungeon design makes for arduous backtracking and enemy formation spam. I certainly enjoyed the bosses and the "aha" moments the series is famous for. Oracle of Seasons fits right at home even as an experimental title; you wouldn't know Capcom made it unless you looked it up. The NPCs and story are well written, and the overworld feels like a real world. The music is different from what you might hear in other Zelda games. However, the main villain and Din have little to no screen time, which I feel made the plot less involving. Din seemed like she could have had a lot of backstory, but she isn't around enough to determine that. I like that Seasons and Ages are actually different games and not slightly altered versions like with the Pokemon series. I look forward to Ages to see how all the pieces come together.
Oracle of Ages: September 27-October 1
Paired with Oracle of Seasons, these two games are the result of separating core Zelda mechanics and evolving them independently. Oracle of Ages is the more "Zelda" of the two, with greater emphasis on puzzles and puzzle-based bosses. It has some of the more creative bosses and dungeons of the series, ranging from a 2D platformer boss to dungeon navigation that is manipulated by rotation locks. The plot of Ages also manages to be more interesting, with the main villain and the oracle being more intertwined with the plot than in the previous game. The gimmick of two time periods allows for much more worldbuilding and demonstration of conflicts. You can see how characters and places changed over the years for better or for worse. This didn't quite occur in Seasons, where the world only changed by time of the year. Then there's the linked game that wraps up the Oracle series. To sum it up, Twinrova is a shit boss, but Ganon is pretty fun. Overall these two games are definitely worth playing, as Capcom tried new things for the series that would stick with later games.
Brutal Legend: October 3-7
Having had this game for some time but not remembering that I had it, I decided to play it. I needed something remotely Halloweeny anyhow. The intro is well done; the protagonist and basic gameplay are established subtly enough. I enjoyed the metal-based world and backstory. They were simple but not too simple and deep but not complicated. Maybe things were a bit cliche, but that was expected and did not take away from the experience. However, the gameplay is a bit of a mixed bag. At first it feels like it's just a hack n slash title, but then it suddenly piles on RTS elements. Neither concept is fully developed in the end. The gameplay is two halves that don't make a whole. I would have preferred that either concept or both had been further developed.
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver: October 7-8
As many times as I've bought and played this, I never truly beat it. The game has certainly aged badly in some respects. The block puzzles are overused and janky. There's a lot of walking with nothing else happening. You can just run past enemies and ignore combat outside of boss battles and acquiring health, the latter of which isn't much of a problem after obtaining the Soul Reaver. There's also a lot of platforming where slipping means having to redo a ton of footwork. The game has a ton of problems, a noticeable chunk of which grew worse over time. Despite all that, Soul Reaver and Legacy of Kain comprise one of my most beloved universes in gaming. Even this second entry in the series has a well spun world with tons of optional areas and background story, such as a citadel of humans designed to target any and all vampiric weaknesses, and it isn't even a mandatory location in the game! This first Raziel game offers just a mere, limited glimpse at what the later games would offer. The lore, the narration, the characterization, the metaphysical fun of it all--I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm really glad I finally completed this last piece of the puzzle for myself.
Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition: October 8-11
Replay as Vergil. It was fun mastering the game's combat as an entirely new character, and Vergil no less. I liked how he had all the weapons of DMC3 as well as the same voice actor. What I didn't like was being reminded how repetitive the main game is and the backtracking it entails. The new opening cutscene with Vergil led me on to believe that maybe there would be some sort of mysterious story, as if this were an afterlife scenario. But nope, it's just combat after combat that you've already seen, but as a blue guy. I probably should have just played Bloody Palace instead.
Rise of the Tomb Raider: October 11-16
My review in the OT (contains endgame spoilers)
Chase: Cold Case Investigations: October 19
I really liked the Hotel Dusk games, so I was thrilled for this spiritual successor. I shouldn't have been. The thing is not even an hour long and has a steep price. The entire thing takes place in one room and consists of you talking and making conversational choices that are easy to get correct. The short length, lack of investigations and puzzles, and boring characters deprive this game of the soul that made the Hotel Dusk games near and dear to so may people.
Soul Reaver 2: October 19-21
Since it's Halloween time and I played the first game, I thought I'd replay its successor. Soul Reaver 2 has not aged as well as the previous game. It has certainly fared better graphically, but that's about it. The combat is only marginally improved, and even then the encounters in the latter half of the game are an absolute pain. The pacing is completely off--the flow of the story is disrupted by backtracking and lots of empty walking. The level design simply isn't as good. The puzzles are sparser and not as interesting. There are no bosses to test the player's abilities. The only upgrades you get are elemental reavers that are barely used and aren't that all different. There isn't much to make the player feel like they're progressing, and the experience suffers greatly as a result. There are also problems with the story, such as Raziel's inherent knowledge of things he shouldn't yet know, which serves as instruction for the player. But it doesn't really make sense in contrast to the Elder God from the first game, who is understandably omniscient. Then the game seems to put too much focus on Kain, the great hero and mastermind. And then it manages to have an even bigger cliffhanger than the first game. Soul Reaver 2 is a solid game, but it failed to live up to or outdo its predecessor.

250px-The_Legend_of_Zelda_The_Minish_Cap_Game_Cover.JPG

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap: October 21-25
I once gave this game a try a couple years after it came out but gave up when I realized it wasn't going to be like Ocarina of Time. Now that I'm older and realize that not every Zelda game is OoT and can better appreciate the 2D titles, I gave this one a try. It's a very average Zelda game. It buries itself under influences and themes from other games without trying anything new. What is does right is having a villain besides Ganondorf. It's refreshing. I just wish they would have explored Vaati's character more. He's completely brushed off after being defeated despite his interesting backstory. I don't have a very strong opinion on The Minish Cap since it doesn't sway too far out of Zelda's "safe" region.
Legacy of Kain: Defiance: October 25-28
The last replay of the three LoK games I've played. Defiance has aged very well, the best of the three. Defiance has the best combat, but the enemies and combos get stale after a while. Even the bosses feel identical. Perhaps having some SR1-style vampire enemies could have shaken things up. The puzzles are not as prominent, and many of the puzzles and their locations appear identical, which makes even the sections that aren't backtracking feel like they are. Like Soul Reaver 2, Defiance's elemental reavers feel like throwaways that become irrelevant as soon as the next upgrade is obtained. Soul Reaver 1 did it best where the fire reaver was an optional yet compelling upgrade. Defiance's graphics, on the other hand, hold up very well; the game looks like it could have been from the middle of the PS3's lifespan. As non-self-contained the story is, I quite enjoy how things were mostly wrapped up while also left open at the end. The pacing of Defiance is far better than that of SR2. Of the three games, Defiance stood up best to the test of time, but ultimately I prefer Soul Reaver 1 the most for its worldbuilding and simplistic, adventurous, puzzle-based gameplay.
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story: October 28-November 2
For whatever reason, I never played this game before playing Dream Team. And now I did. Playing as Bowser for once is a nice change of pace, especially seeing that he actually plays differently from the Bros. The game did a good job of stepping outside its comfort zone, but it didn't go far enough. With Bowser as a protagonist, I would expect some sort of character development like Luigi had in Superstar Saga and Dream Team. Bowser was just the same guy we see from an outside perspective, albeit with a bit more resourcefulness and skill. Fawful was an irritating villain whose passive voice and other strange mannerisms gave me an ulcer. The game suffers from being too easy. The final boss was cool thematically but was also too easy. I also wish the ending weren't so harsh on the protagonist considering he saved the kingdom, but it's Nintendo.
Super Mario Galaxy 2: November 3-November 6
I bought this game the instant it came out on Wii U, tried it, and got severely turned off by the shoehorned Wiimote controls. What a shame that was since I now realize just how amazing this game is. Super Mario Galaxy 2 recaptures the magic that Super Mario 64 had for me as a child. It's a shame that my initial impressions were soiled by Wiimote controls that had no place in a game that would run perfectly well (and better) without. That aside, the level design is great, the visuals are great, and the difficulty is great. The game pulls off all kinds of shit with its dynamic gravity physics and other weird reality-warping tricks. I definitely plan on giving this game's predecessor a try at some point.
Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam: November 7-14
I might as well have allowed myself to finish off what exists of the Mario & Luigi series. This entry initially put me off because it looks like an excuse title that reused most of Dream Team's assets, and to an extent that is true. However, the gameplay is actually somewhat different and pretty fun. Having a third Bro who plays quite differently makes for a fun time with new strategies not needed in the previous games. Unlike Bowser's Inside Story, Paper Jam is actually quite challenging. The game is unfortunately blighted by repetitive Paper Toad missions, a weak plot, and a forgettable world.

Watch_Dogs_2.jpg

Watch Dogs 2: November 15-22
I was crazy enough to like the first game, and I fell in love with this one. All of the first installment's biggest issues were addressed from the unlikable protagonist to hacking feeling second to full-on assault. Driving in 2 still takes getting used to, but it felt better than it did in the previous game. Ubisoft really crafted a wonderful game full of laughs, tears, and pure fun. I thoroughly enjoyed playing as a ghost when infiltrating enemy areas. I don't like open world design, GTA-style games, or Hollywood hackers that aren't deliberate parody, but WD2 mixes them all together in a way I deeply enjoyed. I actually stuck around and did all the side ops, which I rarely do in games nowadays.
Pokemon Sun: November 22-27
I enjoyed Pokemon Sun much more than other Pokemon games. It adds a lot of ease-of-life changes that the series is 20 years overdue for, and it doesn't feel too formulaic. Most people seem to praise the Totem Pokemon and the later game overall for being challenging, but I can't agree. I plowed through everything with just my starter and nothing else, and that eventually led to my Incineroar being a one-punch poke. The game's combat remains as mind-numbingly simple as any other Pokemon game, and there's never incentive to swap out your Pokemon. The plot also managed to not be cliche or predictable, and I could tell that Game Freak left its comfort zone. I enjoyed everything about the game except for the actual core gameplay, really.
Final Fantasy XV: November 29-December 16
Admittedly I'm feeling really lazy about writing these mini reviews at this point in the year. The amount of time I spent on this game compared to others in the list should give a general idea of how I feel about this game. Also, I unequivocally enjoyed Chapter 13.
A Story About My Uncle: December 16-17
A game with lots of potential in worldbuilding and philosophical implications that ultimately goes nowhere.
The Last Story: December 20-29
A hidden gem on the Wii. Feels like a Vita game in terms of characterization, gameplay, and customization. Feels like a PS2 game when it comes to story and worldbuilding. Gameplay is really fun and manages to keep adding new challenges as you progress. One complaint is that stealth and tactical elements are forgettable several hours into the game, only to be viable again towards the end. The plot and characters, while enjoyable, were trope-y and cliche as all hell. I could predict who would be a couple, who would die, who would betray whom, etc. all hours before such things occurred. The one time the game deviates from predictable turned out to be a very powerful moment (it's when you storm the Gurak continent). The Last Story is a good, enjoyable game with many ways to play it.

Dryk

Original Post - Part 1
Original Post - Part 2
Original Post - Part 3

#33: Expand: 2.0 hours
My foray into the wonderful world of the Australian indie game scene continues with Expand, a game you should definitely play (and already own if you bought the most recent Humble Bundle). It's a game that takes place in a shifting circular maze. You have to navigate a square around the outside of the circle (think Super Hexagon) in order to get from one end of a room to the other. But as you progress the maze often shifts such that there's more maze ahead. In a lot of parts moving out radially will distort and stretch the space bringing more into view, it's very interesting to look at.

It's mostly an obstacle course with some bullet hell style bits, and the end of every section has an advancing wall of doom. But while all of those things should be incredibly stressful it has this great monochrome (with red hazards) art style and mellow piano soundtrack so rather than being stressful it encourages you to just sit back, relax, and take it in.

Oh also when you die the entire level rotates, which changes up the required motions on the next attempt. It's an interesting idea to keep a game feeling fresh and a great use of the fact that the game takes place in a polar coordinate space.

I think that comparing it to other games does it a little bit of a disservice but to get a feel for what I'm talking about, think the gameplay of Super Hexagon with Thomas Was Alone's style and sensibilities. Seriously it's only $6 and two hours long go check it out.

Preview: I'm most of the way through Transmission on mobile. It's been a good couple of days for indie puzzle games in my life.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Game 49
Metroid Zero Mission
GBA, 3 hours
Been on a Metroid kick. Zero Mission is better than most give it credit for. I especially adore the zero suit portion. Great companion to the original.

Game 50
Super Metroid
SNES, 3 hrs
Greatest game of all time. I replay it very often.

Game 51
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate
XBox One
Lots of hours
Played a shit ton of story and gauntlet mode, beating both multiple times with a friend of mine. Lots of fun for a free game.

Game 52
King of Fighters XIV
PS4
Finished story mode with every team. Still will be playing online for the forseeable future.

And I'm done :D

Complete List

Original post

WL5ZDARl.jpg

46. Doom (PC, 2016) - 16:35
Completed on Hurt Me Plenty. All Praetor Suit upgrades, weapon mods and data logs found, all rune trials completed.

I don't know what Zenimax is doing half the time. People don't seem to like them very much as a publisher, partially due to unfortunate PR moves like bringing legal action against Mojang for trying to name a game Scrolls and (allegedly) trying to cripple Human Head in order to purchase them outright on the cheap. But on the other hand, they manage to put out a lot of well-received games. Fallout 4 got a more mixed reaction than previous titles, but it was also wildly successful. And then there are the miracles they've pulled with two storied but half-abandoned id franchises. Two years ago, Wolfenstein: The New Order surprised a lot of people, including me, by how good it was as a game while remaining true to the skeletal structure of the Wolfenstein franchise.

And now, we have Doom, a game that's been in development for so long and has been shown off so badly in previous years that it was hard to imagine a good game coming out of all this, especially given how id seemed to be a shell of its former self. Even the multiplayer beta from a few months back seemed to leave a bad taste in people's mouths, and the release of the final product didn't actually change that very much. The campaign, on the other hand, pulled off the same trick as The New Order: inhabiting the spirit of the franchise while updating its mechanics and aesthetic. The result is a game that feels as fast, as chaotic, and as exhilarating as the original did over two decades ago.

It's an arena shooter that avoids the pitfalls that modern pretenders to the throne routinely fall into. It's difficult at times, but rarely unfairly. It doesn't ask a lot of you outside its core conceit of killing a lot of things in as many different ways as possible. And its story walks the fine line between too frivolous and too serious, never turning the game into a farce but never getting in the way of a good stomping either.

The ways in which the basic Doom template have been modified for 2016 are surprisingly competent as well. RPG upgrade mechanics have been bolted on in many places, allowing you to improve your innate abilities as well as your arsenal of weapons. But even here, the philosophy is to promote fast, frenetic action above all else. Generally speaking, the upgrades neither turn you into a demigod nor improve your abilities so incrementally as to require a spreadsheet to discern the difference. Upgrade one thing and suddenly your map shows you more things; upgrade another and explosive barrels don't hurt as much. These benefits don't change the game so much as allow you to play it less tentatively, the way the game was meant to be played.

Weapon and rune upgrades are more substantial, especially the second tier of each upgrade, but again aren't designed to overpower or improve incrementally. Instead, they tend to offer you new options usable in nearly any firefight, with interesting tradeoffs for use. Earning those upgrades also means changing up your playstyle: in order to earn that second tier you must finish a unique challenge. Runes themselves are locked behind trials, some of which are easily the most frustrating parts of the game (especially the last rune trial, which can go die in a fire), but generally offer a welcome break from double-jumping and murdering demons in normal arenas by asking you to double-jump and murder demons using specific tactics or weapons. And on top of all that, each mission offers its own set of challenges that earn you upgrade points towards more weapon improvements.

The end result is a game where you're constantly switching out weapons and trying new tactics, all the while running around and jumping everywhere like a lunatic trying to get away from a crowd of Hell Knights, angling for a better shot on a Revenant, or looking for armor pickups while on the brink of death. And because the game is centered on arena fights, even death is rarely a significant issue, thanks to intelligently placed checkpoints. Doom is a love letter to a bygone era of shooter design and a game designed to thrill and excite, something it does this better than nearly every modern first-person shooter. A worthy successor to a hallowed name.

jnWake

Main Post

Game #17: Rayman Jungle Run (iOS).
Time Played: 06:24 hours.
Completion Reached: Beat all the levels.

The recent news of "Super Mario Run" made me want to try an autorunner and I picked this Rayman one since it has a good reputation. The controls are very simple, Rayman runs on his own and you tap the screen to jump and (later) glide. The fourth world introduces a dedicated punch button on the screen too, which is kinda annoying since it's hard to miss touching it unless you fix a finger on it. Rayman games tend to be pretty fast and momentum based so the gameplay translates pretty well to the autorunner formula.

Like other Rayman games, Jungle Run shines on the level design. At first, stages are very simple but as the game goes on you start seeing traditional Rayman craziness, especially after Wall Running is introduced. Each level features 100 lums that you can collect, but aren't mandatory. However, the biggest challenge and most fun (IMO) comes from actually doing so, since it forces you to have the best timing possible and to think about when to jump or when to not jump. Besides, getting all the lums also unlocks special "Land of the Livid Dead" levels which are quite hard.

Presentation is phenomenal. The game uses the ubiArt engine which is some sort of wizardry that looks incredible wherever you put it. Music is kinda lazy though, since the game only features a few recycled themes from Rayman Origins. Also, there's not much variation in backgrounds but there are some pretty cool looking stages in the latter worlds.

Overall, I liked the game quite a bit. In fact, I finished it in like 2 days since it was simple but fun. Challenge level is pretty good too, not as hard as Origins but still engaging, especially if you try to get the 100 lums in every level. It leaves me hopeful for whatever Nintendo will do with Super Mario Run.

septicore

OP

Game 43: Monster Hunter Generations (3DS) 16/07/16 - 09/09/16 250 Hours
It is amazing that I can play a single game for so long that will cause me to halt my backlog but that comes to an end as I'm gonna retire from playing Monster Hunter Generations. I'm stopping because there's just too many games coming out that I want to play and I felt like I've done everything in the game that it has had to offer. I had a lot of fun with the game and quality moments hunting with friends online but I didn't find myself enjoying it as much as Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. Probably because of the lack of challenge, the community wasn't as big as MH4U or the lack of content but none the less, I still had fun.

Khrae

I'm still not 100% game fit, but have managed to left-click my way through Hexcells and Regency Solitaire, Hexcells Plus is offering a sterner challenge and will likely last a little longer than 2hrs.

Completed count = 13.
In progress = eleventy-billion.

Falchion

Original Post

44) Forza 6 - 18 hours - 9/11
Went through all the motorsport volumes starting with basic sport cars and working my way up to Formula 1 cars. It was a lot of fun and I'll still be coming back to it, I just wanted to finish this off before I hop into Forza Horizon 3 in a few weeks.

Part Two

Part one

~

41 - Lego Dimensions
Wii U
Every bit as fun as the past Lego games, with the bonus of some genuinely great writing and the silly fun of the crossover! A shame about the frame rate and bugginess, but I'm used to that from Lego by now. And while I do severely miss the Lego-staple of being able to play as every character the game has assets for an more, this still may have to be my favorite of the games from TT thusfar. Just... try to get the toys on sale.

42 - Pokemon X
3DS
Not... quite as good as I remembered. This replay kinda revealed a lot of the big problems with XY, including the removal of good features from previous games (why did they mess with experience when BW had it so right??) and a lackluster region overall. Not to even go into the story, which is utter garbage, and the extremely poorly optimized engine. Still decently fun, but one of the weaker Pokemon games as of late I feel.

43 - AM2R: Return of Samus
PC
Bloody fantastic. Filled a void in my soul left by the lack of new Metroid games - genuinely, if you had given this to me on a Nintendo console and told me Nintendo made it I would have believed you. I never could quite play Metroid II, mostly due to the lack of ingame map, and this game took its source material and filled it with modern gameplay and lovingly-crafted refinement - now I can see the world of SR-388 as it was always meant to be, I can follow the story of the Chozo as I walk in their footsteps, and I can understand why Metroids are truly terrifying even as they trade their immunity to explosives for hardened carapaces. Simply sublime.

44 - Mega Man
3DS, through Mega Man Legacy Collection
Going into this game, I was initially surprised at how well it had aged. Mega Man 2 is always heralded as the Great Game of the series, and often the first Mega Man is considered a sort of growing phase - but I found that to be less the case on this replay. The six robot master stages are very solid, with the exception of those awful enemy platforms in Ice Man's stage, and fun to play through. The weakness cycle makes sense and is fun to use against the bosses. Once you hit the Wily stages, though, things fall apart a little... the glitches in the game hit the fan pretty hard on occasion, and the brutal difficulty of some of the challenges really hurts you. I mean, we all know the Yellow Devil, and the way the Robot Master rematches are handled is pain. Still, though, this is a solid game, and well worth playing with if you enjoy the Blue Bomber - it's a great foundation for a series that would smooth out its wrinkles and become even better!

45 - Mega Man 2
3DS, through Mega Man Legacy Collection
This game... I will probably always be a little salty that this is the Favorite Mega Man game. While it definitely did a lot of very good polishing from Mega Man 1, including having one of the best soudntracks in the whole franchise, it has some deep fundamental flaws. Not only does it have two poorly-designed Robot Master stages - Heat and Quick - but it also still has some awful Wily stages and bosses as well, possibly even worse than in Mega Man 1. Still a solid enough game, but Mega Man has yet to truly hit its stride here, and damn if I wouldn't love if this wasn't the one everyone pulled from for their fangames/sequels/Smash Bros. representation.

46 - Pokemon AlphaSapphire
3DS
When this first came out and I played through it for the first time, I found large parts of it very disappointing. This time, however, coming straight from X and riding the hype for Sun/Moon, I very much enjoyed it! It really is a great rendition of Hoenn, and it feels like a game that truly works with and around Mega Evolution, as opposed to X using it very sparsely. And while I still think Zinnia is one of the worst characters in all of Pokemon history, I enjoyed the structure of the Delta Episode a lot more this time around, too. The whole game is Hoenn by way of over-the-top XY-style storytelling, and it works pretty well if you let it. Plus, despite the disappointing lack of new postgame areas such as a Battle Frontier, rebattling trainers and assorted other new features such as the Super Secret Bases and the soaring areas are actually quite neat and offer a good amount of replayability.

47 - Lego Lord of the Rings
XBox 360
This is a fun game, don't get me wrong, but it feels like LotR doesn't fit the whimsical Lego format as well as other franchises. Many abilities feel arbitrary or unimaginative - there are two separate block types that can only be broken by certain swords! - and th story suffers for being more a retelling of the original than an amusing parody like games like Lego Star Wars or Harry Potter were. Still, fun, and the overworld map is quite ambitious and enjoyable to romp around in!

48 - My Nintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess
3DS
It would have been nice to have more content here, but it was fun for what it was. Really the only criticism I can truly give it is that it needlessly changed the control scheme from the other Picross e games, which is confusing, and the lack of original Mega Picross puzzles it a shame and kinda lazy. Still decent for what it is, and the Micross puzzle was fun.

49 - Zero Time Dilemma
3DS
Make no mistake: this is the worst of the Zero Escape trilogy. I was severely disappointed when I first got it, after many a preorder delay, and ended up only playing it for a few hours before putting it back down. But despite the awful presentation, clunkier gameplay than VLR, and slow-as-hell beginning... this still ended up being a solid game and a good conclusion to the trilogy. Worth a play, but only after you play the first two.

50 - Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham
PS3
Make no mistake - this is much more a Lego DC than a Lego Batman. Batman is only the main character insofar as he stars in the tutorial and is the character you begin with every time you boot up in the hub world. And this game absolutely benefits from taking from the wider DC Universe - while not quite up to the lofty standards of Lego Marvel, especially in regards to its comparably-mediocre story and writing, it is a lot of fun to play as more than just Batman and Robin and their various suits. Despite some shortcomings, and a tragic lack of a better hubworld map, this is definitely the best DC Lego game I've played. Also, it inexplicably has Daffy Duck in it, and that's fantastic.

51 - Lego Dimensions: Ghostbusters Story Pack
Wii U
Lego Dimensions really stepped up its game for the second "season" of content! The Ghostbusters Story Pack is really good - not only does it play more like a proper Lego game with multiple characters you can switch between and multiple levels that are accessed through the hub world, but it also steps up its game in comparison to a few of the earlier level packs - this story features all new voice acting to tie it all together! And while unfortunately the original actresses are not featured to my knowledge, the soundalikes are decent. My only serious criticisms are that I truly wish they had mixed up gameplay a little more, as several of the Ghostbusters' abilities are only used in the second-to-last level, and that it would be nice to have a more elegant solution to switching between the Busters during regular gameplay. The timer is really inelegant.

52 - Pokemon Moon
(new) 3DS
Phenomenal. I'm the type to love a Pokemon game even if it's only a minor step up from the last, but Moon takes the upgrades between generations to a whole new level. Featuring a legitimately-good story, an excellent region and set of 'mons, and a genuine bucking of trends set before, Moon is a ride from start to finish. And post-finish, as I currently am working on completing my dex! I highly recommend Sun/Moon to anyone with even a passing interest, and it's a perfect game for those who may have been Pokemon fans in the past but fell off the bandwagon somewhere along the way.

Zareka

Master post.

September

Game 26 - Killzone: Shadow Fall

Njm2EEp.jpg

I started this at the beginning of the year so my memory was super hazy by the time I finished it a couple days ago. I do remember enjoying it, though. It doesn't do anything crazy and the only stand out stuff is the zipline and being able to self revive but it was a very solid FPS. More Halo than CoD which I appreciated. The later few chapters were a huge pain though. Not fun.

Game 27 - Journey

ZGyJRBS.jpg

This game was absolutely INCREDIBLy alright. Don't get me wrong, it was a fun couple hours, and the few times I met another player and ran around with them for a bit were neat but I never had my mind blown like so many others apparently did. It was fun but nothing spectacular. Looks nice though.

Game 28 - Proteus - probably like an hour and a half idk

header.jpg

What a strange little game. It is just sightseeing; you don't interact with the world at all outside of running around and being able to sit. The music is randomly generated like the world depending on what plants, objects and animals are nearby...I think? The music did end up being very nice by the 2nd season. A very chill, relaxing game
BUT ACTUALLY TOTALLY CREEPY
. However, I played through Autumn and finished it at 2 in the morning and that was...an experience. There's one event in Autumn that made had me terrified and then the ending happened as I was drifting off to sleep so it was a very trippy experience. I'm just rambling because this was a weird one, but I did really like it.

Master Post

pmf40X0.png

Game 40: Zenge - 1+ hour - August 18, 2016
An iOS puzzler. Nothing to really write home about. I was looking for something to play on my flight overseas, and this fit the bill well enough. It's a weird little game, because on the one hand, it has a great method of teaching mechanics and keeps those mechanics flowing at a steady enough rate to prevent staleness from setting in. However, even with the great teaching, the game is still kind of one-note. It starts easy, gets to about maybe medium-ish difficulty, and then just sits in a holding pattern for the rest of the game. Each completed puzzle reveals a little artwork that's part of a story, which is cute, but nothing that special. For the buck something I paid for it, I guess it was a-OK.
Should I play Zenge? If you're looking for a chill puzzler to zen out to (ho-ho the joke!), it might be worth your time.

marcincz

Massive update:

Game #33: Under Defeat HD (X360) - 03:43 h - 07/08/2016
Great, beauty and difficult shmup. When I saw it first time, decided to buy immediately. It looks like River Raid of XXI centrury for me.

Game #34: Grim Fandango Remastered (PS4) - 14:42 h - 16/08/2016
I've never played in this title before. I love adventure games and hate at the same time. Love because story is usually great. Hate because some puzzles are incredible stupid. And...this is Grim Fandango for me.

Game #35: Ratchet & Clank (PS4) - 11:50 h - 27/08/2016
Funny, but it was my first time with R&C. I had ToD on PS3, but borrow it to my buddy and...never see him and game again. :) However this R&C is beautiful, wonderful, amazing and incredible in graphic aspect. I had a feeling it looks better, than a movies from Pixar.

Game #36: Driveclub DLC - Redline (PS4) - 02:44 h - 30/08/2016
Next dlc to Driveclub, which I beat in this year. Great racer and still I don't understand why Sony has closed Evolution.

Game #37: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (PSV) - 09:46 h (still playing - other endings)- 05/09/2016
I am a big fan of VN. When VN meet adventure game I am in heaven. 999 is fantastic mix of these two factors. Many people love VLR much more, than 999. Unfortunately I don't...at this moment. Finished it 3 or 4 times, yet, but still playing. I am going to beat each ending to see true finish. For me this title required from us to do too many endings to see real finish.

Game #38: Dishonored (X360) - 14:54 h - 10/09/2016
That was a big surprise. I didn't expect such a good game. Of course it has some faults like animation drops, but this is one of best FPS game I've ever played. Can't wait for 2nd part.

Game #39: Datura (PS3) - 01:25 h - 14/09/2016
Three words. Plus, played, beaten. That's all.

Original Post

Master Post

dR0UEcJ.png

Game 41: 80 Days - 1+ hour - August 29, 2016
The yearly 80 Days replay has come and gone. There's a lot to explore in this game, and I try to give it a replay at least once a year. This was actually the first time that I've gotten dangerously close to failing to finish the wager, ending up completing the game at 72 days. I ended up side-tracked and broke in South America, and only made it out by the skin of my teeth. It never fails to impress me that the game still has new things for me to find, even after so many playthroughs.
Should I play 80 Days? Without a doubt, as it's one of the finest pieces of interactive fiction available.

Main post

Game #126: Game & Watch Gallery 3 (GBC) - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;

Third Game & Watch Gallery game down, only one to go (which will have my pleased to be able to have completed an entire series in one year :p). It's a really fun game, especially the main stuff. It's definitely the best game of the first three entries, and like the other two, some of the games are better in their classic versions, and others are better in their modern versions. My individual assessments, ranked in order from best to worst:

1. Modern Egg - This was actually a huge blast, and not just because of the Bob-ombs. It's so simple and fun, with there being only very simple directional inputs to worry about.
2. Modern Mario Bros. - Where Modern Egg is great for its simplicity, Modern Mario Bros. is great for its complexity. Mario and Luigi have a ton of actions and movements that you need to consider when to do them. It gets really frantic and fast-paced, and you feel really awesome as you are moving Mario and Luigi all around that shit.
3. Modern Turtle Bridge - While the top two were pretty excellent, this one is just pretty good.
4. Classic Mario Bros. - It was enjoyable enough, though I'd never choose to play it over Modern.
5. Modern Greenhouse - It was fine, though it felt like the action got a little too hectic and the game wasn't quite as fun as I'd like it to be.
6. Classic Greenhouse - Same criticisms as Modern. They're interchangeable ranking-wise.
7. Classic Egg - Didn't really do much for me - sometimes I enjoy the very binary setup, where there's no ambiguity about whether something is safe or not, but the simple animations kind of made this not as fun and made it feel a lot more strict.
8. Classic Turtle Bridge - A lot of similar complaints to Classic Egg.
9. Flagman - It's kind of not good, but I did feel pretty good about myself that I eventually was able to recall patterns a lot better than I thought.
10. Modern Donkey Kong Jr. - Yet again, continuing the problem of traditional games being translated to G&W, especially modern ones: they just aren't as fun as the more stationary ones.
11. Lion - I just kind of found it a bit too frustrating and unpredictable, though not terrible.
12. Classic Donkey Kong Jr. - Same as Modern, but a lot more finicky.
13. Judge - There is, I suppose, some level of depth here, wrt this, but I have no interest in ever playing it again.

Ultimately while I enjoy this more than the others, I enjoy it more than 2 by just a smidgen. The problem comes from there simply being not as many great games from which to choose - Egg and Mario Bros. were both pretty excellent, perhaps tops as far as G&W Modern games go, but I think that 2 has more games that greatly appeal to me. There may be more games than ever, but it feels padded with ones that just are not as fun.

Game #127: Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! (DS) - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;

I really dug this game, especially as a premier title for the DSiWare service. Where games like, say, WarioWare: Snapped! and Art Style: AQUIA were more low-key, this was legitimately (more or less) a full, complete game. It was a little limited mind you (I think it could only save a certain number of levels for instance), but if you are a fan of this series, it's got a LOT of content. I also like the direction it took vs. March of the Minis, where instead of having some control over the Minis, you literally only started them, and at that point all you can do was control the environment so they make it safely to the exit.

Game #128: Find Mii II (3DS) - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;

I've been progressively chipping away at a second run of this, and it's pretty okay, though getting into secret areas is tedious af. I would suggest to them that they do a better job of making the game feel more rewarding and fun, but it kind of feels like it was inspired by F2P concepts somewhat of getting people to StreetPass and use their Play Coins more. Not sinister in that way, but tedious!

Game #129: Alleyway (GB) - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;

Alleyway was okay, and I like Breakout/Arkanoid-style games, but to be honest, the simplicity of the game combined with the limited physics of a first-gen Game Boy game really didn't do any favors for this game. I get that it's a really early game - launch title I think? - but that doesn't change the fact that it got old real fast.

Game #130: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past Randomizer (ROM hack) - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;

For clarity, this is a ROM hack that randomizes the contents of chests and NPC giveaways, so you can have really crazy shit happen (in the image, Link has the Hammer by the time he leaves the first dungeon). The best run I had was getting the Mirror, Moon Pearl, and Hammer before leaving Hyrule Castle! Dark World five minutes into the game? Yes please. Also, while the chest contents are randomized, the hack is designed to avoid ANY unwinnable situations - for instance, the Big Key cannot be in a Big Chest, small keys will be randomized only to some extents (ie, you cannot find a key behind a locked door that requires that key), Sahasrahla cannot give you the Bow (since you can't get the item from him without killing the red cyclops with the bow to beat the first dungeon), etc. It was made for speedrunners, and thus only avoids creating impossible situations rather than difficult ones - for instance, the Hookshot may not be accessible until you clear Misery Mire, which requires the Hookshot to enter unless you know that you can cross the pit at the beginning of the dungeon by bouncing off of a block with the Pegasus Boots to the other side.

Just finished a mostly satisfying run of this, but it did kind of make me sad that all of the pieces were in place for doing as close to a reverse dungeon order as you could do (7-1 of Dark World, then 8, then Hyrule Castle, then 3-1, then Ganon). Except... no Lamp! I discovered eventually that the Lamp was in the second dungeon of the Light World, which made the run undoable unless you had the dark areas down -perfectly- (and I mean perfectly - doing the seventh dungeon without the Lamp is perhaps one of the most challenging and frustrating things I've ever tried!). It just sucks that I was so close, and yet so far.

I'd definitely recommend trying it if you're a big fan of the game and want to spice it up. Just be ready to do a lot of exploring, because there are a lot of items you may miss out on if you do not know where some of the best chest areas are (for instance, there are three four-chest rooms that I normally do not check because they're usually just Rupees, so I didn't know about them until I traveled a bit).

GNASliy.png

25:43h. Got the Good Ending following the
prophecy's hints

I'm going to come clean with everyone - I mostly don't like Vanillaware. Muramasa was really pretty and fun to play, but a disjointed mess which failed to make me interested even as I completed the game. As per Dragon's Crown, I haven't been able to stomach it for long enough to complete the first stage. So I purchased Odin Sphere on a whim, because I heard only good things about it.

It's really, really good. The story is also a bit disjointed, as a result of the zany roman-fleuve like narrative, but it's easy to keep track. While there are only a handful of stages and bosses, changing characters from time to time manages to keep the game fresh - even though in Normal difficulty things are perhaps a tad too easy, with only the hardest sub-bosses (usually those that come to you in pairs) posing a threat.

The story goes from light-hearted to heartbreaking, but there's a constant feeling of impending doom which never quite goes away
and might as well, because destiny can't really be totally averted.
. Still, the Good Ending has the right amount of bitter and sweet, leaning to "sweet" - and that's all I want in a story of these characteristics.

Updated OP

GLuigi

Updated Post

Game #39: Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation (3DS) - 33 Hours
I went through all 3 FE Fates games back to back without any break in between games, and i kind of regret doing so. By the time i got to Revelation, I was burned out. The game pretty much mixes elements from both Birthright and Conquest. I felt that a few missions were bit of a slog to go through, ones that come in mind were the early mission where you are traveling through a cave where you can't see most of the map, and the "stealth" mission. Game was fun overall especially seeing the royals interact with each other through supports.

Game #40: Overwatch (PC) - 70 Hours
This game is the sole reason why I been progressing through this challenge slowly. First two weeks of playing this game was staying up all night and trying to learn all the characters. Haven't had this much fun and addiction with a multiplayer shooter since Team Fortress 2.

Game #41: Beat City (DS) - 4 Hours
Basically Rhythm Heaven's distant cousin. I had a lot more fun than I expected. This game is filled with mini games where you either tap, hold down, or swipe the touch screen. Main difference between this and Rhythm Heaven is that each mini game has its own easy, medium, and hard difficulty. The main campaign takes you through all the mini games on easy first, then medium, and so on with some boss battles sprinkled in between. I only recommend beating the game once, doing a 100% nets you nothing extra.

Now Playing:

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE: I think im on chapter 4 or 5. Haven't played lately due to moving some stuff around the house and this game not having Off TV play.

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice: Just started the 5th case. Going to try and finish this before SMT IV: Apocalypse comes out.

Falchion

Original Post

45) Tron Run/r + Outlands DLC - 5 hours - 9/18
This is a basically a Tron themed runner that's got some satisfying gameplay, but sadly the game runs so poorly on Xbox One that it drags the entire experience down. Just to make it through the 50 or so levels, I had to hard reset the game at least a dozen times and restart levels even more because the framerate would suddenly dip for no reason to an unplayable level. This was especially frustrating when you're towards the end of a long level and die because of it, or use some of the currency for an item that gets wasted because it just freezes. Really frustrating experience all around.

Dryk

Original Post - Part 1
Original Post - Part 2
Original Post - Part 3

#34: Transmission: 5.3 hours
I was turned onto Transmission by my best friend&#8217;s partner and by now there are about five people hooked on it because of him. So you can already tell that it's engaging.

Transmission is a completely free puzzle game developed as a companion app for an Information Age exhibit for the Science Museum. The primary mechanic is connecting nodes in order to transmit information. Each node must receive information (represented by coloured cubes) a certain number of times. Some destroy the information they receive and others can pass it on.

There are 70 levels across 7 worlds, and each world introducing new mechanics based on a different kind of network. From broadcasters that send duplicates of information they receive to all nodes in range, to converters that change information type (colour) and base stations that enable other base stations to access a pool of information.

Some of the puzzles near the end get very hard, and they get even harder when you try to complete the bonus objectives. Most levels will have one or two bonus objectives which include finishing the level without crossing connections, finishing the level with cubes in particular positions and using a certain number of connections.

I didn't get all 146 objective stars in five hours, but I got close. I could have spent the time getting the last few stars but I'm about ready to move onto something else. Still, if you have a few hours to spare play this game.

Preview: Almost finished Aquaria, currently exploring THE ABYSS <lightning flash>

smisk

I didn't even come close to doing this last year so I'm not even gonna delude myself into trying this time. But here are the 13 games I've beaten so far in 2016.

The Witcher
Firewatch
Mega Man 1
Street Fighter V
Dot Arcade
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
Chrono Trigger
Rockman 2
Her Story
Mega Man 3
Super Metroid
Resogun
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

I started Mass Effect 3 and am about a dozen hours in, but got addicted to the multiplayer (amazingly it's still active on PC) and played only that this weekend. I'm also slowly making my way through Fire Emblem: Fates.

wispsmoke

Neo Member
Original Post

Game 13 - Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows - 12 hours

What a fantastic game! Navigating levels (complete with the new, Plague-specific puzzle areas) is completely changed, as is boss strategy. And what a finale! Although it was difficult to get used to how Plague controls/interacts with the world, by the time I got through Polar Knight I was well into it. Hee hee hee!

Shizza

Main Post

2016-Q3 (Jul, Aug, Sep):

Game 31: Star Fox Zero (Wii U) - 8 Hrs
A4C3W2P.jpg

This game could have been great. I thought the graphics were the best in the series. I enjoyed the music/sound. The characters are just as endearing as always. I appreciate the concept that Miyamoto was going for with the dual screens, but the execution left much to be desired. To be fair, I didn't mind the controls for the Arwing or the Gyrocopter (and the little robot buddy), but the Landmaster and Chicken Walker really bothered me. I also felt the learning curve for the controls was very steep - I was so very close to turning off the game and putting it back on the shelf after the first couple levels, but I pressed on. About mid-way through the game I started to get a better feel for them, but they didn't click until the last boss. And even then, it wasn't an "ah hah, I get it now" moment, but more of understanding of how to compensate for their short-comings (Chicken Walker in particular). My success for the final boss fight revolved around memorizing the boss's pattern so that I could beat the controls, rather than having precise control and reacting to what was happening in real time to beat him.

I'm enjoying the air-based vehicles' controls a bit more on the 2nd play-through, but I don't think this is a game that I'll go for the 100% completion, and it makes me sad. It's such a different feeling/experience than it was after beating Tropical Freeze, Woolly World, or Mario Galaxy, where I immediately jumped back in to finish the game after I beat it. I wanted to love this game, and it has it's enjoyable moments, but it also has moments of extreme frustration. A patch to tune the controls of the land-based vehicles would be awesome.

Game 32: Journey (PS3) - 4 Hrs
bruzlEq.jpg

My goodness, this game couldn't have come at a better time for me. It was so god damn soothing; like the antithesis of Star Fox Zero. One stick for movement, one stick for camera, one button for jumping/flying, and one button for making some beautiful tunes - and the control felt so fluid. The graphics were marvelous - between the particle effects, geometric patterns, and sun rays. I loved the exploration, and how the story was told via hieroglyphics. There was so much emotion without anyone saying a word - it was magical.
The sand-surfing was one of my favorite parts, and the flying on the paper dragon at the end of the last stage was my other favorite.
The game was short, but oh so sweet, and it will absolutely be played every year.

Game 33: Mega Man (NES) - 5 Hrs
2ZMEySp.jpg

When I was young, I played Mega Man 2 whenever I went to my friend's house, and rented it when I needed a fix. I rented Mega Man 3 a few times, but only read about the original Mega Man in Nintendo Power. I had always heard that it was tough as nails, but I love a good challenge, so here we go.

Random thoughts: It was a little strange seeing only 6 boss stages (with 8 being pretty much standard since Mega Man 2). The music was just as fantastic in the first game as it is in later games. The controls felt very good (not quite perfect as later games, but not bad at all). The health refill sprites are vastly different than later games, and there are points in this one?! The Yellow Devil can die in a fire. I hate that guy. If most Mega Man games clock in at an 8 or 9 in terms of difficulty, then this was surely an 11, and I abused the heck out of save states, but it was so satisfying when I eventually beat tough encounters. Very pleased with the overall experience, and it'll get more play-throughs in the future.

Game 34: Star Fox Guard (Wii U) - 9 Hrs
IGTP2a4.jpg

I'm so glad this game came packed in with Star Fox Zero, because I feel like this is another title that Nintendo didn't do a good job marketing. I had very middling expectations for it, and after playing through Star Fox Zero I was already a bit down on the franchise. However, based on player reviews on GAF, I gave it a fair shot before diving into Super Mario RPG.

I was pretty confused at first since it basically drops you into the opening map without any direction, but after a few moments it lets you know this is the tutorial, and explains how to play the game. From then on it was the kind of gaming enjoyment you expect from Nintendo. After what felt like a short while I realized that several hours had passed by, and I took a break for the night, and I can't wait to play more over the next few days. I'm enjoying the leveling-up mechanic that opens up additional camera types/quantities, and the challenges have been tuned incredibly well so far. I have extremely mixed feeling about the Rabbit Bot that collects the scrap metal at the end of each mission
- sure it's cute and all, but it also looks like it's getting off or trying to take a dump -
it's very odd.

Game 35: Super Mario RPG (SNES) - 19 Hrs
S9avcbE.jpg

Many years ago when I was visiting cousins, I came across this game in their collection, but had never heard of it (maybe there wasn't a lot of marketing for it at the time?). Anyway, I saw that it had the Mario characters in it, and gave it a try. As I played though it, I was a little confused at first why I was teamed up with Bowser, but kept right on playing. Thinking back, this might have been my first RPG, and I will attribute my thenceforth love for them to this game! I proceeded to commandeer my cousins' SNES, and got most of the way through it before our vacation ended and we went back home. Never finishing it has been nagging at me for the better part of 20 years, but with it's release on the Wii U VC (yes I know there's been a billion other ways to play it), I jumped back in.

I love this game, and it's easily a lock for me as one of the SNES's top offerings (along with SMW, LTTP, FF's, DKC's, etc). I love how the story and tone of this game is so vastly different from Super Mario World, and yet still totally works within that universe. It plumbs the depths of Bowser, and you know what, he's more than just a "Bad Guy" like Reck-It Ralph. Sure he has an outwardly expressed tough-guy attitude bent on conquering the Mushroom Kingdom, but inside he's just a dude trying to make his way in the world. I love the quirkiness of the characters, and how the game doesn't take itself too seriously, like some other RPGs. I thought the characters and areas were enjoyable. The music and art were great too! The leveling and currency accumulation were perfect in this game. The length of the game felt perfect, and it wasn't padded with filler content. The collaboration on this game between Square & Nintendo is ever present in the best way, and I'm sad that it didn't continue to more games. In conclusion, this game was another fabulous RPG that I will definitely re-visit regularly.

Game 36: Unfinished Swan (PS3) - 3 Hrs
b2uNT0l.jpg

This is another game I went into with no expectations other than: it was an environmental puzzle game, it was recommended by GAF, and it was stupid-cheap when I bought it during a flash sale.

At the start of the game I spent probably 5 mins staring at a white screen with a little circle on it. After mashing what seemed like all of the buttons in an effort to figure out what was going on, I discovered that the "X" button makes a sound as if I was jumping. I went looking for the control setup to figure out if I was missing something, but didn't see it in the game menu - and then I found the digital guide (is this a thing for all PS3 games?). So I discovered the paint button (and apparently hadn't tried pressing the L1, L2, R1, or R2 buttons during the button mashing). Now things got interesting!

As an aside, I just got back from a happy hour, so I was buzzing pretty good, but I think this might have been the perfect game for that state, and also the perfect state to play this game in. I can see the mechanic getting old under normal circumstances, but at the time I was perfectly content to mash the L and R buttons (alternating as my fingers were getting tired). I love how the play was very exploration-oriented, and it reminded me a lot of Journey (especially having just finished that one recently). I had the faintest inclination that they might have been from the studio, but it wasn't until
I looked through the telescope in chapter 3, and saw the two Journey characters on top of the mountain with the light shinning out
that I knew it was for sure - it was a nice little "oh snap" moment.

This was a really quick game, but I felt like it was also just right in length. The audio and visuals were great, and the exploration was fun. I liked how the mechanics changed within each chapter.
Those glowing red eyes will haunt my dreams.
I must say that I am really liking Sony Santa Monica's games so far, and now I'm going to have to delve deeper into their catalog!

Game 37: Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES) - 11 Hrs
ChQjegx.jpg

This was another great entry in the DKC franchise. I don't have any negative criticism for this game other than some encounters seemed a little extreme in difficulty - but in the end I didn't mind, since I love a good challenge. Backgrounds and sprite work were fantastic again. David Wise's soundtrack was amazing again. I enjoyed searching for the collectible, and playing with the new animal buddies (and good ole Rambi). I'm still amazed that Rare was able to turn around after the masterpiece of DKC1 and produce this sequel a year later and of equal quality.

Game 38: Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - 24 Hrs
3HXT8IZ.jpg

This was a pretty fun game. Loved how they captured the Old West setting in everything from the scenery, music, dialogue, and general way of life. It felt very open and free in terms of gameplay, which added to the fun from exploration, but it also felt semi-unstructured in terms of story progression. Initially, it felt more like an Old West simulator, where I was just dropped off in that time period and doing my thing. However, the story really started coming together about midway through, and tightened up the experience.
I totally wasn't expecting the ending to play out the way it did. In fact I could feel that there was some kind of story twist coming when the game kept going after being reunited with my family, but I was expecting something to happen to my wife or son. It's kinda neat that you can continue the quests after the game is done from the perspective of the son.
There were a couple things I felt needed a bit of critiquing namely the control of horses/wagons felt a bit un-refined (kinda like Twilight Princess). There were also instances where dialogue between characters cut in and out, which ranged from mildly annoying to potentially missing key story elements. That aside, I felt the gun aiming/control was fantastically tuned for a console controller, and I definitely appreciated that. Overall, the game felt a bit drawn out, but was definitely enjoyable, and worthy of a recommendation!

Game 39: Affordable Space Adventures (Wii U) - 6 Hrs
VMP9MWc.jpg

This was another gem, and I want to give the indie devs that put their games on the Wii U (whether exclusive or multiplat) a huge thank you. This one really utilized the game pad in a way I'd assume Nintendo hoped devs would. I felt that the game had just the right amount of challenge, and really enjoyed the puzzles. The artwork was beautiful and clean. The music/sound was also on point. The love and effort put into the game was ever-present in the details - right down to the loading screens. That ending was perfect.
Seeing my "please send help" note along with everyone else's was both sad and hilarious.
I highly recommend this one if you like puzzles and exploration!

Game 40: FAST Racing NEO (Wii U) - 2 Hrs
ilERXvq.jpg

Shin'en is 3 for 3 this year for me. I just finished the Sub-Sonic league, and I'm loving this game. The music, the graphics, the controls - all great! The ship color change mechanic they've incorporated gives it an extra twist to keep you on your toes. Looking forward to coming back to this one to master the other difficulty levels!

Game 41: Candy Crush Saga (Mobile) - 60+ Hrs
0T9SExb.jpg

Very LTTP on this one, but I love puzzle games, and being on vacation away from my consoles it was time to check it out! The opening levels provide a nice tutorial on the game play. The mechanics are simple, but provide a challenging difficulty ramp-up as additional ones are introduced. I'm whizzing through the levels with the only hold up being the forced 3-day wait after completing each chapter. Overall this game is pretty enjoyable.

Update:
I revisited this one weekly over the past few months, in short sessions to fill time or while watching TV.

Game 42: Pokemon Go (Mobile) - 250+ Hrs
NFtIPJi.jpg

This one looked neat when it was first revealed, and quite a few people I knew were playing it, but I didn't download it since I was busy with other stuff at the time. However, while on vacation I had a ton of free time, and my friends that I was staying with were all playing it, so I downloaded it to give it a shot and play along with them.

Instantly hooked! It definitely felt like a new and interesting way to play a game, and I've noticed it affecting my usual routine - specifically that I'll go for an extra 30-min walk around the neighborhood to mess around with the game when I need a break from other things.

Update:
This is another game that I played pretty regularly over the past few months, squeezing in playtime whenever I was walking to work/home/errands/etc. I ended up making a few trips to other areas of town just to gather up some Pokemon that didn't frequent my area.

Game 43: Metroid Zero Mission (GBA) - 8 Hrs
eZ9jnU8.jpg

Now I know this is a remake, but I had my reservations about it from playing the original NES Metroid for hours on end as a kid and not really ever getting anywhere, instilling frustration. However, over the year of reading GAF this has been another game that people always gush over, to the point that it's made me give it another look, and to be frank this was another incredible game that totally lives up to its reputation!

Having experience with the original, I was able to jump right into this one with a good knowledge of what most things do. I did notice changes in the world's layout, and I think it works better. Speaking of better, the inclusion of a map - AMAZING. The artwork is a huge improvement, and I definitely enjoyed the music (but couldn't remember how much of this was new). Cut-scenes - definitely new and nicely done. And the biggest change being
the ending; or rather the new mission after the original ending (looking back on it, it's in the title of the game, lol). Anyway, I knew how the original ended from seeing speed runs, and playing that section in the NES Remix collection. But much to my surprise, after killing Mother Brain and making it to my ship in time to escape - and thinking that the game was over and being totally satisfied with the game - I get shot down and there's a whole new mission. That's the moment I realize that I'm now starting the Zero Mission. My goodness, the difficulty ramped way up with the limited hits you could take without dying, giving it a frantic/on-the-edge-of-your-seat feel to this part of the game, and I thoroughly enjoyed the change of pace. Eventually I got my fully-powered-suit, and it was exhilarating transitioning from being the hunted, to being the hunter! Much blasting ensued, and I made my way to the last boss who was a bit tricky until I realized that my super missiles were super effective! I made quick work of the mechanical dude, and then it was once again time to escape! Got to my ship in time and flew away, still not certain if this was truely the end until the "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" popped up.
It needs to be said again: this game rocks! I can't wait to move onto Super Metroid!

Game 44: Super Metroid (SNES) - 12 Hrs
EjjbdcQ.jpg

Another fantastic Metroid game!

I don't want to take anything away from the game, but I do have some musings to discuss after finishing this one - particular due to the order I played this one. Originally, I spent hours...days...months of time as a kid in the original NES Metroid without really knowing where to go; just exploring. It was fun, but I never really got much satisfaction out of it since I wasn't progressing in the game. Then Super Metroid came out, with a map, and finally I was able to get properly oriented and make some substantial progress. I also really appreciated the icons on the map to let you know which rooms had hidden stuff. The music and artwork were a major improvement, and the movement felt more fluid. I never got a chance to finish it back in the day, but fully intended to come back to it at some point. I knew it's sequence in the Metroid timeline came after the original, so it was more about jumping back into that one to beat it before coming back to this one - but I hesitated because of my experience with it previously. Then just recently I found out that Metroid Zero Mission was a remake of the original (I know, where have I been), and supposedly had a ton of improvements. So, I jumped back in to the Metroid series with that one - and OH MY GOODNESS it applied all of the improvements of Super Metroid to the original. I'll say it again, that game was superb!

Excitedly, I moved onto Super Metroid (and in the excitement I accidentally skipped Metroid II or AM2R). Anyway, I missed the improved icons on the map that Zero Mission had (the room items that changed from circles to dots after you got the item, and the color of the door bubbles) which made it much easier to remember what areas I needed to revisit. The movement felt a tiny bit less fluid, and the music sounded a little muffled at times, comparatively. So it was a weird experience in a way - Super Metroid was a vast improvement over Metroid, and Zero Mission was an improvement over Super; but going from Zero to Super felt like a minor down-grade.

That aside, it was a wonderful game that I'll definitely play again in the future.
I found it neat that I was starting Super Metroid right where Metroid/Zero Mission left off (unless I missed something by skipping Metroid II), going back through the exit and destroyed Mother Brain chamber. There was the wrecked ship, which might be from the original or maybe Metroid II? Loved the familiar power-ups and the addition of a few new ones. And I loved the familiar thrill after beating the Mother Brain, when the pacing went from somewhat slow and exploratory to GET OUT BEFORE THE PLACE EXPLODES!

Game 45: Kung Fu Rabbit (Wii U) - 5 Hrs
3hx8kAO.jpg

This was another one I picked up during a rock-bottom sale ($1 iirc) at Maxcriden's recommendation over in the Nintendo Downloads thread.

Platformers are totally my jam, and this one was quite enjoyable. The amount of content you get for the price is insane. The levels are short, but offer a good challenge; particularly increasing in difficulty as you progress through the worlds. The play is great in short-medium bursts, but can get repetitive due to the similarities within the levels. The art is well-above your average indie game, and the music fits well. The main character is cute, and the enemies are humorous. Overall a fun experience, and totally worth the price.

Oreoleo

The List!

33. Dead Rising - 15 Hours
XrT5OJE.jpg

A decade later, this game holds up incredibly well and is still a ton of fun to play. I don't think you'd see a lot of what makes it unique find its way into modern games these days, though. There's so many layers to dig into that would be sanded down in modern AAA games (And you don't have to look farther than DR3 for proof of that) like the unforgiving time limit, brain dead AI survivors (God love 'em), borderline cheese strategies for beating most of the bosses, having to hit specific places on the map for certain weapons, the "Frank West+" design of the game encouraging you to start over multiple times while retaining your character level. It all adds up to a fascinating, rewarding experience that has never been equaled, even by the following games in the franchise. It's not perfect, as the final 3rd is rather uneven with some head scratching decisions (Nothing to do the final 12 hours of the 72 hour countdown, fetch quest in Overtime, 1st phase of the final boss) but you take the good with the bad. I'd rather play a 'flawed masterpiece' like this that bleeds with ambition rather than something that ends up watered down and 'less than' to accommodate a broader audience like the sequels have increasingly become. Replaying Dead Rising has only solidified it as one of my favorite games of all time.

ChryZ

Index

45. Killzone: Mercenary (PSV, 2016/09/12, little less than 2 battery charges)

They somehow managed to squeeze a pretty complete first person shooter into the Vita. I'm impressed how little got lost in translation. The campaign was a lot of fun. Good weapon and gadget variety kept things interesting. The story and premise did a decent job showing another facet of the Killzone universe. Overall I only disliked the gimmicky screen wiping gestures, they were not asked for.

46. Tengami (Steam, 2016/09/12, 1.4 hours)

Beautiful point'n'click puzzle adventure in the world of japanese origami and pop-out books, I've enjoyed while it lasted. The art direction and music are very ethnic and traditional. The game itself moves deliberately slow and might drive inpatient ones up the wall. I enjoyed the slow, relaxing and soothing experience. It made recovering from a cold a little more bearable.

47. Spelunky HD (PS4, 2016/09/13, 4 hours)

Went to hell and back again, but this time on PS4. Haven't played this timeless classic in a while, but the rust came off pretty quickly. Spelunky is still the best roguelike platformer and truly a timeless classic.

48. Deathsmiles (Steam, 2016/09/19, 5 hours)

My least favorite CAVE game: that said, it's still a wicked bullet hell SHMUP. The gameplay is very polished and balanced. Lots of variety in form of selectable characters with different trades, many modes and remixes (black label, ver1.1, arcade, normal, etc). The difficulty scales very nicely, fun to be had by beginners and masters. I've cleared all modes, checked out most endings and yet never fully warmed up to Deathsmiles. I should love this game on paper, not sure why it never fully clicked with me.

Azriell

Ran out of space in my first post. This post will contain September through December.

Original post

September: Games 43-47
  • Batman: Arkham Knight - ??:?? completed on 9-5-16
    (4/5) I don't know where to start. The story was really good, although I'm not much of a hero/comic guy. Even the side quests were strong, at least those that didn't overstay their welcome. The car stuff was really good, although I thought I remember a lot of complaints. The gadgets felt a little weaker this time around, and the upgrade system had a lot of fluff. As always, I struggled with the complex controls and find the combat system to be ok (it does a good job of simulating 1v10, but the combat itself isn't very fun). A great time overall.

• Overwatch - 92:00 completed on 9-11-16
    (5/5) Having finally hit level 100, I'm considering this one beaten. I will continue to play it, but 92 hours and 100 levels is worth something in my book.

Overwatch is one of my favorite FPS I've played in recent years. I love all the different characters, the way those characters interact, the VO, the art, the gameplay, and the fact that I can jump in and play for 10 minutes or two hours and feel good either way. I wrestle with the, terrible aiming (console), but after all this time I am finally getting better. I play Overwatch just about every day, and I don't see that changing soon. I just wish new content came out faster than it does.

• God of War III Remastered - ??:?? completed on 9-14-16
    (4/5) This was my first God of War game. I was surprised at much fun the combat was once I unlocked a few things, but Kratos is easily the most unlikable character I have ever seen. Killing malicious entities is one thing, but slaughtering innocents for no reason is disgusting. The over the top, ultra violent murdering of innocent NPCs made the game feel like it was designed by and for edgy middle school students. This game should get a much lower score from me, but the combat was really fun.

• The Witness - ??:?? completed on 9-20-16
    (4/5) I don't think a game has ever left me feeling more conflicted. At first, when the screen faded black at the end at that text appeared, I was angry. I decided to Google around to see if I missed something. What was the point? It turns out there's more. A few hidden areas I found but was never able to gain access to holds the key. I loved the game (sort of), but I have no desire to continue forth to discover "the real ending." And that's the real conflict I feel: the game is amazing, but I also feel that it asks too much of the player.

I'm a person who loves challenging games and I always avoid spoilers, guides, cheats, etc., at all costs, but many of The Witness's puzzles were so difficult that I would scratch my head dozens of minutes before deciding that I either needed to quit the game or look up an answer. Of course, looking up the answers to this sort of game completely ruins the experience, but at times I felt that was my only option. Now I've beaten the game after an easy 40+ hours, but it's not enough. The Witness demands more, and I just don't have any more to give. These are the only reasons I couldn't give the game a 5/5--I think it demands too much.

• Transistor - ??:?? completed on 9-29-16
    (5/5) This game get's my love for it's excellent combat system. You are given only four ability slots, but even very early in the game you are given more than four abilities. I'm the kind of player who doesn't change things up much once I find what I like, so for me I thought "well, I'll just never use that extra stuff." Wrong. Instead, unused abilities can be equipped as augments onto your four main abilities. So a fast, weak attack can be used to augment a slower attack, and now that slower attack swings a little faster. A damage over time projectile ability can be used to add damage over time to other attacks. An attack that sends out several fire balls can be used to turn other attacks into split attacks. And then you gain the ability to equip abilities into a passive slot, and things change even further. So now you have three ways to equip your abilities, but it gets better. As I said before, I'm the kind of person who rarely changes things up once I'm happy, but that doesn't fly in Transistor. When your HP hits zero, instead of simply dying, one of your abilities overloads and becomes unequippable for several combat encounters. This means you're going to want to equip a new ability with new augments, forcing you to rotate your stock throughout the game. To this end also, there are bonus rooms you can find in the game which give you challenges. Often these challenges require you to use abilities you may not have equipped before, thus exposing you to new combinations. I did ultimately settled on some favorites that I always went back to, but this system made me experiment with everything, and the favorites I ended up with were not the things I thought I loved from the beginning

To top all of this off, Transistor presents us with a combat system that is extremely punishing unless you play by its rules. It wants you to exploit it to crush the opposition, but if you are unable to see the potential of the tools afforded to you, you are faced with what seems to be an unwinnable game. You don't just find use whatever cool abilities and augments you like, you need to choose ones that can be used together to defeat enemies smartly. A time freeze system, which turns the game from an ARPG to a SRPG with action points, allows you to deal massive damage and escape trouble, but the AP limitations mean you will often have to sacrifice some of that damage to allow yourself enough points teleport away from danger. It's a system that works incredibly well, is incredibly challenging, and is incredibly fun when you get it just right.

The only bad things I can say about the game is that the narrator and some of the VO gets on my nerves a little, because it doesn't feel natural. The story is also ambiguous to a point where I often had no idea what was going on.. But these are honestly small complaints in a game that does what it does so amazingly well.

October: Games 48-51
  • Moonhunters - ??:?? completed on 10-5-16
    (4/5) I bought this on sale, and only because of the art style. It turned out to be a really cool game that you play through over and over again. The game changes each time, and this is meant to be the evolution of your legend as your story is passed on via oral tradition. Each time you play, you have the potential to see new sights and unlock new fixtures and featuers. It takes a number of 30-60 minute playthroughs to get what I would consider to be the good ending, which is where I'm at now, although I suspect there is more to see and do. I find that loop to be very compelling, although I wish character progression of some sort carried forward, instead of just world progression.

• Resident Evil 5 - 10:21 completed on 10-7-16
    (5/5) I was conflicted when I first played RE5 back in the day. Today, I was amazed at how good of a game it actually was, now that I have accepted that RE proper is dead. The shooting is fun, the enemies are cool. Ammo was scarce enough to keep things tense, and me my co-op partner had to carefully divide supplies to make sure we could both heal and fight. Overall, it was a really good co-op time. Also, hunting for treasure was super fun and upgrading the guns was a good time.

• Valley - 10:16 completed on 10-19-16
    (3/5) The concept of Valley is really cool. I love running fast, following the flow of the terrain, jumping super high, and so on. Combat was pretty flat, and the story had a good concept but I kinda tuned it out. The controls on PS4 feel off, but what's worst of all is that the game abandons the promise of running, jumping, and exploring big environments often, as it forces you into caves and abandon buildings. All in all, a good time but not as special as it could have been.

• Resident Evil 6 - 21:56 completed on 10-30-16
    (3/5) So disappointing. I knew RE6 wasn't a great game, but I thought it would be better than this. The writing was so bad, the characters and dialogue are so laughable. So many good things from RE5, such as treasure hunting, the upgrade system, and the inventory simple inventory system. The horror was pretty much already ripped away from RE5, but what we have here is so far removed from its survival horror roots that it's really a mystery to me how they ever arrived here. Also, why in the hell do levels take so long to complete, and why can't I quit in the middle and expect my progress to be saved? Such bullshit.

The list of good things in RE6 is short, but there are a few points to coverr. Using cover is a little awkward and shitty, but it's a useful addition. Melee attacks are easier to use, as are herbs. Even grenades are more usable, as they can be easily selected with up/down on the dpad instead of needing to be mapped to one of four slots like in RE5 (something I almost never did because quick access to guns was more valuable). The story was the dumbest of dumb, but I did like how it overlapped between campaigns.

All in all, if it wasn't for co-op I never would have finished this. It barely squeaks in as a 3/5, and if I was playing this solo it could have easily been a 1/5.

November: Game 52
  • Titanfall 2 (campaign) - ??:?? completed on 11-16-16
    (4/5) I thought the story was marginally better than the typical, entirely disposable FPS campaign. The gameplay, on the other hand, was very fun. I felt the earlier levels were better than the last few (which felt more like displays for massive set pieces than fun and engaging battles), but I had fun throughout. Combat was fun and engaging, and most of the guns were felt great.

It's been months since my last update. Time to catch up:

OP

OP2

Backloggery

Game 34: Final Fantasy XIII
"It gets better", they said. "You just have to stick with it", they said. It didn't get better but I finished it anyways. Just a bad game. The story starts out interesting but soon turns into a Saturday morning cartoon with amazingly bad writing. As if some 13 year old anime fan was allowed to write the damn thing.
And then the tubes. Oh my god, the tubes. For the first 30 hours you basically cannot go or right, just a straight line. What the hell were they thinking?
And when it finally opens up for a few hours it's just as boring because you are going after absurdly mundane side quests. All in all, a terrible game.

Game 35: Gauntlet
An underrated Co-op experience. It's neither long nor blessed with a diverse gameplay, but it's simple hack'n'slay fun. Also, this game is made so much better by the decision that you and you co-op partner share loot and health potions, so there's a constant, often hilarious, fight about them.

Game 36: Victor Vran
Janky Diablo clone. Was fun in Co-Op, but nothing to write home about.

Game 37: Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag
I enjoyed this one. I don't think the actual missions or some of the gameplay aspects (naval combat, ship stealth (!)) were actual fun, I rather used this almost meditative. At the beginning you have a map full of little icons that want to be explored and to be found. Then the icons disappear from your map. So I collected and collected, bringing order into the chaotic map. A soothing experience.

Game 38: Vanquish
Holy Shit, that game rocked. Over the top action, fast-paced, stupid story. Great title.

Game 39: Devil May Cry 2
Just as dull and boring as everyone said it is. What the hell went wrong there?

Game 40: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

It's been 2 months since I played this and my memories of it are already fading. I remember that I liked it, that I shot a lot of things and that a lot of the things exploded. Sometimes that's enough for some nice entertainment.

Game 41: Call of Duty Black Ops 2
Just like MW3, but worse. RTS elements in a Call of Duty game were not a good idea, Treyarch!

Game 42: Overwatch

Favourite multiplayer game of the year. Will continue to play. Perfect!

Game 43: God of War: Ascension
This one's got a bit of a bad reputation but I had a great time with it. Some of the set pieces and levels were simply stunning. Gameplay's good as usual.

Game44: Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Not as smooth as Black Flag and not as much to collect. OK game.

Game 45: Journey
I wasn't quite as stunned as so many people on this forum but I liked it for what it was. The final minutes were really great!

Game 46: Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments
My second Sherlock Holmes game this year and it was even better than the last one. Cool short stories, mostly logical puzzles and a great atmosphere. Those games are highly underrated, play them.

Oreoleo

The List!

34. Metro: Last Light - 10 Hours
JaaM06N.jpg

The differences between Metro 2033 and Metro: Last Light is exactly like the differences between Half-Life 1 and 2. Where the original is a tight, lean, personal experience, the sequel is blown out to encompass a broader story and lore, and larger, more bombastic set pieces. In both cases the sequel is generally regarded as the better game, but I find myself preferring the more contained experience of the originals. More characters, more factions, more interactions dilutes what I felt the first one was all about: the sense of vulnerability and isolation, and the careful balance of resources. Somewhat contradictory to the title "Last Light," the surface levels are much brighter now, less desolate and unforgiving. As a character mentions, winter is thawing and the dawn of spring is on its heels, and consequently something is lost in the process. I'm overstating the bad though. Despite anything else, the gun mechanics, the feel and feedback of aiming and shooting is vastly improved over the original which in and of itself makes the sequel far more playable. Where Metro 2033's stealth mechanics were practically broken, Last Light course corrects to an absurd degree. With perhaps a handful of scripted moments as an exception, you can stealth your way through basically the entire game if you wanted. It should be a welcome change for most, however I feel 4A overshot their mark and made stealth a little too easy and too powerful. This directly correlates to the loss of feeling vulnerable, as your stack of 10 throwing knives can one-hit kill any amount of enemies the game throws at you with relative ease. Countering this, the campaign is punctuated by a few arena-style bosses that break up the experience. The game occasionally gets too bogged down in its own narrative, which, again is partly why I prefer the leaner experience of the original, but as a complete package Metro: Last Light is a great shooter that any fan of the genre should enjoy.

wispsmoke

Neo Member
Original Post

Game 14 - Gravity Rush Remastered - 20 hours

I didn't realize how close I had gotten to finishing this when I played the original on the Vita, and what a finale I had been missing. The final battle and the way your friends are called into action is very satisfying. This remaster, with the DLC included, is a masterwork. Bluepoint deserves all the credit it's been getting for it.

As before, I had an issue with pacing and with some of the difficulty elements. The secret nevi in the dimensions are far and away more difficult than anything else in the game, barring some of the gold medals on the optional events. The middle of the game where you fall down the world tree drags, and although I enjoyed some of the plotting and metaphysics of climbing back up, it's a long and largely uninteresting slog. I wish you could have simply rode the ark back up. Likewise, I'm quite surprised at how much the ending and end credits require a sequel for resolution. It's a good thing that we're getting one!

JarrodL

Games 1-14
Games 15-28

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
PC (GoG)
Completed: August 8, 2016
Total playtime (with expansions): 296h 28m
My second playthrough, this time with both expansions and as close to completionist as I could get without using a game guide. I could list a number of flaws, technical issues and things I didn't like or would prefer to have been done differently in this game. It is also probably the best game I've ever played. This may seem like a contradiction, but it's not. By the time the credits roll it feels like all those shortcomings are buried under a mountain pile of quality content, great quests, amazing well-developed characters you don't want to part with, and story moments that stay with you for a long time after. I want to stress how I appreciate that they got the important things right - main characters, their personalities and relationships are just like what I'd imagined them be after reading the books. My Geralt's build this time: Igni + Strong Attack/Rend, which worked pretty well. My ending:
Geralt is with Yen, Ciri becomes a witcher.

The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone
Great expansion with interesting story and a very cool villain. The runesmith was actually a worthwhile investment, since Severence worked extremely well with Rend in my build. Most memorable story moment for me -
exploring the mansion and uncovering the tragic fate of poor Iris. Hers and Olgierd's story was truly a sad one, and I wish I could do something more to help her. In the end I managed to save Olgierd from the horror he brought upon himself, but I think I did it for Iris most of all - that's what she would want. It was great to meet Shani again, but I didn't like how relationship with her was handled. Two things seriously bothered me. First, I couldn't find any good way to turn her down if I wanted to stay faithful to Yen. Geralt can either leave her depressed at the party without cheering her up (which seems very cruel, insensitive and out of character for him), or cheer her up, then flirt with her (why? stop Geralt, that's not what I wanted to do!), kiss her (why?! stop it Geralt, you are not in love with Shani, you're in love with Yen!), and only then do I get an option to ... very awkwardly shoot her down as she proposes to escalate things (and who can blame her at that point, Geralt did flirt with her and kiss her). What the heck, CDPR?! Where's an option to honestly and gracefully tell her, preferably before any kissing takes place,: "Shani, you'll always have a special place in my heart. I care deeply for you, and that will never change. But since our last meeting I have recovered my memory, and that brought back old bonds and relationships I never knew I had. I'm sorry, but we can't be together - my heart belongs to another." ?... Second, if you do choose to romance Shani, it is very disappointing how it ends. I don't really understand why Geralt can retire and live happily ever after with Triss or Yen, but not with Shani. After finishing main game's story Geralt can end up being alone and available. Yet when she asks "why? what's the point, Geralt?" there's no dialog option one would expect - to tell her "Because I love you. Stay with me." Instead, Geralt automatically mumbles something which boils down to to "you're right, it wouldn't work out, we had nothing serious anyway." What the heck, CDPR. If you're going to make choices like this for me, then what is the point of bringing Shani back at all?

The Witcher 3: Blood & Wine
This expansion was huge, with more content than most games these days it feels. It was bloody incredible, some minor annoyances and technical issues aside. Interesting main story with intriguing twists and a few different outcomes depending on player's choices. Lots of inventive, funny and well-written side quests. Toussant was a joy to explore, a huge beautiful land of wonder and chivalric virtue, so refreshingly different from the other locations in the main game. Played through both major branching paths in the main story to see the different endings (it was well worth doing). In my canon ending
the two sisters make up and both survive. Yennefer visiting and settling into my vineyard in the end
was the best conclusion to this epic saga my Geralt could dream of.

OZMAFIA!!
PC (Steam)
Completed: July 08, 2016
Playtime: 31h
One of the higher quality visual novels I've played, and the first otome one. Great art, amazing soundtrack, an impressive variety of characters, routes, choices and endings. Features a few love triangle routes, an interesting twist. Even the protagonist, while occasionally clueless and silly, is otherwise mostly likeable and more often than not acts appropriately, which is quite an achievement in this genre. Finishing a character arc for the first time unlocks extra short "addon" scenes for that character after each meeting, so you have to replay the route again to get the full story. Which seemed a bit annoying at first, but since all routes have at least two (sufficiently different) endings and I'm something of a completionist in anything story-related, I had to replay most of them anyway.

Kindred Spirits on the Roof
PC (Steam)
Completed: July 14, 2016
Playtime: 28h 43m
This VN started really slow and seemed dull at first, but it did have some very moving and emotional moments later on. I very much liked the main character (always a pleasant surprise for me), and some of the side character plot lines (Sasa/Umi was my favorite). All the ghost couple stuff, though, was honestly kind of annoying/unnecessary and I wish there was less of it in the game. Sadly, you can't choose who to romance - while I liked Hina, I'd love to see Ano and Nena as alternative options. But there are no multiple routes here - instead of branching the story, the various player choices merely unlock multiple "extra" scenes from different characters' perspectives all along the calendar timeline (they become available after first finishing the main story). All those extra scenes are canon (as in, they take place whether you made the respective choice or not), and most are pretty interesting. So to get the full story, you have to replay all the days with choices in them, and pick different options the second time. A bit tiresome, but thankfully the game makes it easy to do such replays through the calendar system. Overall, an enjoyable VN with a few disappointing shortcomings.

Fading Hearts
PC (Steam)
Completed: July 16, 2016
Playtime: 4h 31m
VN with elements of stat management gameplay and off-putting (for me, at least) visual style. The story and characters seemed shallow/underdeveloped and didn't grab me, so I didn't bother collecting all the various endings (which, to be fair, appear to be quite numerous and inventive) beyond the few most obvious ones.

Seduce Me the Otome
PC (Steam)
Completed: July 17, 2016
Playtime: 6h 32m
A decent otome VN, apparently funded via kickstarter and available on steam for free. Enjoyable story with some well-written character moments, nice music and art style. Pretty short, and endings seem sort of abrupt. I finished Suzu, James and Diana's character arcs, but skipped the others because unfortunately they seemed to be just cloned and copy-pasted variants of Suzu or James. Some important scenes were literally the same word for word between different routes, with just different character names - rather disappointing.

Seduce Me 2: The Demon War
PC (Steam)
Completed: July 20, 2016
Playtime: 5h 51m
A sequel to Seduce Me, which picks up the story from right where it left off in the first game, letting you continue with the Diana or any of the incubi plot arcs (sadly no Suzu option, who I quite liked). I played through James and Diana routes, including various possible endings for each. A well-done VN with nice soundtrack and art.

No Man's Sky
PC (GoG)
Completed/Stopped playing: August 26, 2016
Playtime: 66h
Best inventory management sim of the year by far. As a nice bonus, it's also a relaxing light-headed space exploration experience which satisfied my itch for this kind of game very well. I didn't try too hard to reach the center of the universe, and instead took my time fully exploring several systems that caught my eye along the way. Eventually the procedurally generated elements on planets become recognizable and repetitive, and the unchanging gameplay patterns become tiresome. But not before I'd had dozens of hours worth of fun with the game and enjoyed my time with it. I won't be coming back to it this year, so I'll consider it completed for the purpose of the challenge.

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger
PC (Steam)
Completed: August 27, 2016
Playtime: 24h 52m
Excellent fighting game, perfect for a casual like me. Lots of cool characters, easy to perform specials and finishing moves, easily scaleable AI difficulty. Story mode is very well done, amazing even - it's presented in visual novel style (and with great art too), with occasional choices/fight results branching the story into different paths where you get to fight different opponents and reach different endings. I ended up 100%-ing all the character story paths (peeking into a guide a few times to figure out how to get the last remaining bits) and reached the true ending. While I loved the game, the PC port is unfortunately far from perfect - it's missing online modes (didn't bother me, but a pretty big flaw for a fighting game), has technical issues (game gets locked to 30 fps with very choppy performance, only fix is to restart the PC every time that happens), and is missing arcade version music in all story segments (music is present in the files, but not playing; can only be accessed via the gallery).

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
PC (GoG)
Completed: August 28, 2016
Playtime: 4h 53m
Hauntingly beautiful game with a great soundtrack. Tells a short but interesting story, with surprisingly creepy/unsettling atmosphere. Gameplay is minimalistic - mostly walking and sightseeing with occasional puzzles (which I think were done very well). I wish there was a bit more to it - if only to have some reason to stay longer to admire the spectacular views.

Shovel Knight
PC (Steam)
Completed: September 3, 2016
Playtime: 12h 54m
Very good 2D platformer. Excellent opponent and level design, except for a few horrible up-scrolling sections and one of the final bosses - those were an exercise in frustration and nearly made me give up on the game.

Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows
Playtime: 8h 15m
The new hero in this expansion was pretty neat, with some interesting mechanics and his own storyline. I liked nearly everything added/changed with the expansion, but playing through all the same levels again right after finishing the base game campaign was a bit tiresome. I eventually had to gave up on it after reaching that awful up-scrolling section in Tinker Knight stage, promptly realizing after a few attempts that I never want to play through that level again.

Red Dead Redemption
PlayStation 3
Completed: September 14, 2016
Playtime: 57h 19m
This is an awesome game. It's open-world with a stylish wild west setting, good meaty story and excellent controls (horse riding implementation is the best I've seen to date). It has an amazing variety of fun mini-games and side activities, in addition to the main storyline missions and secondary 'stranger' tasks which are all numerous, interesting and with well-written memorable characters. It's easy to tell that, for instance, The Witcher 3 took a lot of inspiration from this game.
It's not all out perfect though, if I had to nitpick and name a few flaws or things that could be improved:
- the game doesn't do a very good job of rewarding exploration, not much reason to just go out and explore the far corners of the map unless there's a mission or specific objective in mind - all you'll find is an odd hidden chest with a tiny bit of cash.
- no choices or dialog options except in rare cases for specific side missions, the main character will always act in a fixed manner and speak fixed lines
- random on-the-road encounters quickly become repetitive and annoying - the same events happen too often. After the 3rd time an NPC ran up to me yelling that someone stole their horse/wagon, I started mostly ignoring such events.
- some minor performance, low fps problems in PS3 version of the game

Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare
Completed: September 21, 2016
Playtime: 9h 39m
RDR + cheesy Walking Dead = Undead Nightmare. This DLC was wild, and a lot more fun than it had any right to be. Saved all the towns, did all the side missions, tamed one of the horses of the apocalypse (the flaming one), and killed a gazillion zombies, only to discover in the end that
they all apparently could have been saved and become their old selves. Oops
. Awesome add-on, well worth playing.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown + Enemy Within
PC (Steam)
Completed: September 18, 2016
Playtime: 55h 54m
Interesting modern reimagining of the old X-COM formula (which I used to play a lot). It nails the gameplay - incredibly fun and addicting, it has the same "one more turn/mission" effect going as the Civilization series and other good strategy games. The tactical missions is the element where previous attempts to clone/revitalize the series were mostly failing at, and it is done exceptionally well here. I like most of the newly introduced additions - the story missions, the individual characters with unique personalities, additional research and development facilities like the foundry, classes with skill trees, genetic modification and augmented mech soldiers, etc. The game is not perfect, however. Some game systems feel a bit (or a lot) more casual than in original series, and I felt I have less control overall than I should have as a commander. For example, inventory management was greatly simplified, and as result you now have to choose between bringing a grenade or a medikit into a mission for a soldier. The research tree is not as interesting and detailed as it could be, and feels like two steps down from X-COM Apocalypse. There's only one type of aircraft to research and build (again, Apocalypse had dozens of cool ship designs). The later stages of the game are progressively less engaging, after a while suddenly there's barely any new tech thrown in to research and mostly it's just waiting for the next council meeting so you can finally get paid and buy/build the next thing you need to progress. In the end, while I enjoyed my playthrough of the game a lot, it made me realize that what I really want is a remaster/remake of X-COM Apocalypse with a few updates and with tactical missions running on the engine from this game, because that would be so much better.

Magic 2015 - Duels of the Planeswalkers
PC (Steam)
Completed: September 20, 2016
Playtime: 15h 19m
I love Magic: The Gathering, to the point where I dumped over 150 hours in Magic 2014 last year, trying out every deck. This time I just played through the campaign once using a fun red/green deck. Finished the game on the Planeswalker difficulty, except for the final boss, which requires you to beat Garruk two times in a row without restarting a duel. A tall order for me on max difficulty considering he was packing a killer deck in the second round, so I had to turn it down to Archmage. I like the deckbuilding tweaks/additions in this version of Magic - earning booster packs and mixing up your own deck was very satisfying, but I felt the campaign was better in the previous year's version.

Magic 2015 - Garruk's Revenge Expansion
Completed: September 21, 2016
Playtime: 3h 08m
Very short expansion, adding a new plane with several duels which you have to beat with a given fixed deck (Garruk's) the first time you play. The first 3 duels were very easy - I got them on the first attempt. The last opponent (Captain Vronos), on the other hand, took me countless retries to win, it's almost as if his deck was designed to counteract and decimate the deck you're forced to use. Overall this add-on was disappointing and offers less content than the 2014 version's expansion pack did for the same cost.

Dryk

Original Post - Part 1
Original Post - Part 2
Original Post - Part 3

#35: Merged: 1.1 hours
I feel like I'm cheating a little only playing a game for an hour but I really can't be bothered sinking more time into it. It's an alright matching puzzle game but it feels really random and I could be playing anything else.

It's match-3 mobile game more or less. The twist is that you are placing what are essentially dominoes onto a grid. When 3 or more faces with the same number of pips are connected they all suck up into the one you just placed and turn into the next number up. Merging 3 or more 6s makes an M block and merging 3 M blocks destroys all the blocks in a 3x3 grid.

I think the game's main flaw is a culmination of things. There are 7 different types of block, they're given to you (mostly) in pairs randomly, and the last block placed is so important to clearing blocks. It means that you can end up at the mercy of the RNG very quickly and in that sort of situation I'd rather be playing something more simple like Threes.

#36: Aquaria: 20.8 hours
I'm not sure what I was expecting from this game but a 21 hour Metroidvania with a ridiculously long final boss was not it. I'm really not going to complain about that though it was very enjoyable (especially the soundtrack).

It's also pretty unique for a Metroidvania in that almost the entire game takes place underwater and your main method of interaction with the world is through playing songs Zelda-style. There are 8 different transformations that give you a nice variety of abilities from shooting energy blasts to becoming a defenseless fish that can swim really, really fast. Realistically you'll spend most of the game in either shoot mode or swim against currents mode though. There's a surprisingly detailed crafting system as well, making consumable items that heal you and provide all manner of buffs.

Now some things I didn't like. Any section that takes place above water (especially with bubbles) is pretty awful. When you transition from water to air you fly into the air and if there's a bubble room you can often fly across it with little control. The final boss is also very, very long and does a ton of damage.. and there's no checkpoints.

Regardless of that though it's definitely worth playing.

OT

Finally got all the ending and finished up 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors. It was a fun puzzle game. The ending was good and is wanting to get the next in the series. Not much else to say other than the parts yuo have to replay I am so, so, so, so happy you can skip all the dialog. I wish you could skip the puzzles also but eh oh well. Anyway onto the next game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom