• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX officially has the least time between reveal and release of any Nintendo platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerium

I know people are desperate to discredit her, but comeon now
Question: what is the logic of trying to discredit other people by lying?
Well, now you have to show some receipts, after being called out while trying to call out.
The ferocity of the response here is what's desperate.

Because you are apparently very invested in this, here is the report that Emily admits to signing off on in that tweet. I quote:

NX planning has recently moved up a gear within Nintendo ahead of the console's unveiling, which is currently slated for September.
She verified that report. Saying now that she only meant to lend credence to one part of it and not the rest stretches credulity, but by all means continue the mental gymnastics. I really don't care enough to get into a back and forth about this.

Was there such desperate forum litigation over her promises of a female Link?

People on the internet can be wrong. That's okay. I'm not saying burn the witch, I'm saying maybe take a grain of salt with questionable sources.

What if....it has a double sided screen!? Ya lookin at it like it's all "Oh a phone/tablet!" but then ya flip it open, and boom, dual screen on the inside. So 3 screens...but 1 screen is actually 2 screens.

And there's also a projector on the bottom

JB2448

Was it? I thought they just said Zelda Wii U was slated for March. Did they actually say the NX as well?
You've got it backwards.
http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/de...-updates-on-mobile-nx-and-the-legend-of-zelda
NX: Nintendo previously announced that it would release more information about its next system, code-named NX, this year. As the first announcement of any NX information, Nintendo confirmed that NX is scheduled to launch in March 2017. NX will not make an appearance at the upcoming E3 video game trade show in Los Angeles in June and will be unveiled later this year.
The Legend of Zelda: The latest installment in this classic franchise is scheduled to launch simultaneously for both Wii U and NX, and both versions of the game have been in development in tandem. Because developers need more time to polish the game, it will launch in 2017, but it will be the focus of Nintendo’s presence at E3.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Was it? I thought they just said Zelda Wii U was slated for March. Did they actually say the NX as well?

You have it reversed. NX was announced to be releasing in March 2017. On the same day, it was announced that Zelda Wii U was delayed to 2017 and an NX version will release as well

Oddduck

Because you are apparently very invested in this, here is the report that Emily admits to signing off on in that tweet. I quote:

She verified that report. Saying now that she only meant to lend credence to one part of it and not the rest stretches credulity, but by all means continue the mental gymnastics. I really don't care enough to get into a back and forth about this.

Of course she signed off on Eurogamer's hardware report.

She reported that NX would have Nvidia chips in May.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
There are already HD pico projectors on the market. Some of which are marketed for gaming devices.

The invention here is being able to adapt to the environment to ensure that it's always displaying the image correctly, if I'm reading it right.

Either way, it's an invention that really isn't that far fetched, though it would probably add cost to the final device and would likely be more suited as an addon than something built in. Still, it's interesting and kindof cool.

Sorry, I forgot to add "expensive" to the list, because I really didn't thought that we\re considering projectors that cost as much as a handheld or a console to be included in NX.

Edit: I would also like to see a HD pico projector that would fit inside a handheld and not be the size of a handheld.

fossi8

Do you know if previous consoles were launched worldwide? I cant remember if NA and Japan were first and then the rest of the world.

I've kind of checked out of having any hype for the reveal and am just resigned to be interested whenever. A casual interest we'll say.

SpokkX

Why isnt any big site reporting about the lack of nx information from Nintendo? surely there is something to say on the subject? After all, it IT IS quite wierd we have not heard anything at all from Nintendo

... unless the big sites....

already know the reveal date!

;)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
lots of empty words

When asked for receipts you provide hearsay. And it's not even backed by a good hearing. Here's what I can find posted by Emily in relation to the Eurogamer article:

https://twitter.com/ArcadeGirl64/status/757921955857129472
Keep an eye on Eurogamer today. They have a two part article on Nintendo's NX coming. Very interesting stuff.

https://twitter.com/ArcadeGirl64/status/757924355032481792

https://twitter.com/ArcadeGirl64/status/758332256087707649
Their report lines up with stuff I said in May. No x86, No Polaris, only blows away Wii U. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1218924 …

Do you have anything else to back up your claims or are you just happy to spread lies?

T

Verifying the report doesn’t mean she's signing off on it line-by-line. It just means enough of it matched her sources for her to trust it's creditbility.

Malus

People on the internet can be wrong. That's okay. I'm not saying burn the witch, I'm saying maybe take a grain of salt with questionable sources.

I'm finding it funny that both sides of this are trying to accuse the other of caring too much.

Why isnt any big site reporting about the lack of nx information from Nintendo? surely there is something to say on the subject? After all, it IT IS quite wierd we have not heard anything at all from Nintendo

... unless the big sites....

already know the reveal date!

;)
What do you report?

"Breaking: Nintendo still not saying anything."

"Update: We thought we saw a squirrel outside Nintendo's headquarters - what does this tell us about the NX and why won't Nintendo comment?"

"Update #2: we have posted multiple rumors about the NX but now we're going to post what everyone wants - the article equivalent of a comment section to any Nintendo post."

In addition to KingSnake's post above righting the record on what Emily actually said, Eurogamer's report explicitly states "currently slated for September" so even accusing them of lying or having bad sources based on the fact that it hasn't come in September is foolish. A reveal date is BY FAR the likeliest and easiest aspect of that report to change. Calling out the whole report or even the sources behind that part of it is definitely jumping to conclusions.

prag16

Banned
Why do so many think it' "very likely" to be delayed? They told investors the release window. It still could be delayed, but there would be ramifications.

I think the only reason we aren't getting NX like next month is because Zelda wasn't ready. There's no way they didn't want it out this holiday.

We saw way more of Zelda this e3 than I think I even wanted to see. It should be ready by March

I think the only reason we aren't getting NX like next month is because Zelda wasn't ready. There's no way they didn't want it out this holiday.

Considering they haven't even officially confirmed Zelda will be a launch game (only given a vague "2017"), and Kimishima said software was why they chose the March launch, it seems somewhat plausible that the game genuinely did need more time than anticipated. I always assumed the other way around (Zelda delayed because NX wasn't ready) but that would make sense too. Maybe other games had bumps in their road as well.

DonShula

Why do so many think it' "very likely" to be delayed? They told investors the release window. It still could be delayed, but there would be ramifications.

They gave the investors the very latest release date that would fall inside their current fiscal year and they haven't shown jack since. Right or wrong, that's why people assume it's delayed. A pessimist would say they gave investors the March date knowing it wouldn't make that date anyway, just to bide more time to soften the truth of the real release date. Stock would have taken a hit if Nintendo outright said "this thing is holiday 2017."

Nanashrew

Banned
Being a hybrid means it's also a handheld and Nintendo have been known to release handhelds in spring/summer.

Nintendo has gone out of their way to constantly say March.

Plus everyone's been saying that everything is on schedule for March.

I'm not seeing the connections it's going to be delayed.

Sorcerer

Being a hybrid means it's also a handheld and Nintendo have been known to release handhelds in spring/summer.

Nintendo has gone out of their way to constantly say March.

Plus everyone's been saying that everything is on schedule for March.

I'm not seeing the connections it's going to be delayed.

True, Nintendo does release handhelds in spring/summer, however it looks like in this case we will only be getting an NX and not a separate, independent console. It looks like Nintendo is betting everything on the NX, which does make a March release a little strange.

Roo

I just find it funny that with a hypothetical delay, they'd have to push back Zelda as well, a game that for all we know, has gone gold for quite some time and it's just sitting there, waiting to be released.

Sorry for Wii U owners and Zelda fans that keep waiting for their swan song to arrive tho lol

TunaLover

Stock would have taken a hit if Nintendo outright said "this thing is holiday 2017."
That's a possible scenario too, the problem is Nintendo already burnt the last bullets, they would need to sustain most of their bussines on 3DS (which only received Wii U ports and spinoffs) and mobile during the whole 2017, they already having to relay on fillers like NES mini, I'm not sure if they have the resources to support 3DS for another year tbh, at least they plan on double down on mobile games that would be their only source of revenue during 2017 (if NX is delayed).

ggx2ac

I wanted to give one idea about the projector hand gesture recognition from one of the previous patents.

Going by the IR patent for using an IR camera that would give hollow controllers.

If the NX is using those controllers going by what IGN was told, what if, when those detachable controllers are removed, you do hand gesture recognition on each side of the NX?

👋( ( ( [NX] ) ) )👍

That same IR camera that can recognise button presses in the detachable controllers could also recognise hand gestures.

You have an IR camera on each horizontal side of the NX, you are either holding the NX in one hand and doing gestures with the other, or have it on your lap or on a stand and doing gestures with both hands.

Edit: You technically don't need a projector for this, just a camera. Remember the DSi had that Face Training which used a camera to recognise facial expressions.

Edit 2: Now I'm thinking about that Eurogamer report where they mentioned a kickstand...

Hmm...

Do you guys think the NX is going to be the Steve Urkel in power compared to the Scorpio and PS4 Pro?
Yes
calvin-johnson-dwts-urkel-dance-video_0.jpg

gafneo

Banned
I just find it funny that with a hypothetical delay, they'd have to push back Zelda as well, a game that for all we know, has gone gold for quite some time and it's just sitting there, waiting to be released.

Sorry for Wii U owners and Zelda fans that keep waiting for their swan song to arrive tho lol
If it had released already, we would be installing tons if patches. With extra time, they can tweak it to perfection.

Considering they haven't even officially confirmed Zelda will be a launch game (only given a vague "2017"), and Kimishima said software was why they chose the March launch, it seems somewhat plausible that the game genuinely did need more time than anticipated. I always assumed the other way around (Zelda delayed because NX wasn't ready) but that would make sense too. Maybe other games had bumps in their road as well.
Aonuma had said that the physics engine was what caused the major delay of Zelda.

My assumption is that if Zelda were ready for winter, NX would have launched alongside it and have nothing for six months. But since Zelda was delayed, you can't launch it with literally no software (again).

DR2K

Banned
This isn't good when they're stating they want to show it when there's more software ready. Crunch time.

Aonuma had said that the physics engine was what caused the major delay of Zelda.

My assumption is that if Zelda were ready for winter, NX would have launched alongside it and have nothing for six months. But since Zelda was delayed, you can't launch it with literally no software (again).

He (and by "he" I mean Miyamoto) was talking about the game being delayed out of 2015, though, wasn't he?

“It’s complicated because as we’re developing this -- obviously development of NX started a while ago -- and unfortunately, I’m sorry, but the development of this game took a lot longer than expected,” Miyamoto told IGN. ”We really felt like we would be able to get it done last year, but there was a lot of struggle with using the physics engine, so that’s why it took a long time.”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06...-breath-of-the-wild-is-coming-to-wii-u-and-nx

The game was probably delayed out of 2016 because NX was delayed out of 2016, not the other way around.

El_Cinefilo

They gave the investors the very latest release date that would fall inside their current fiscal year and they haven't shown jack since. Right or wrong, that's why people assume it's delayed. A pessimist would say they gave investors the March date knowing it wouldn't make that date anyway, just to bide more time to soften the truth of the real release date. Stock would have taken a hit if Nintendo outright said "this thing is holiday 2017."

Honestly, this is what I thought as soon as I heard the March date. Nothing has changed my mind since. I'd like to be wrong though.

ggx2ac

Honestly, this is what I thought as soon as I heard the March date. Nothing has changed my mind since. I'd like to be wrong though.

Lying about the date means also lying about the forecast for the current financial year which factored in NX launching, if it is delayed, they would be screwed if they don't revise their forecast ahead of October 26th which is the next quarter of their financial results.

El_Cinefilo

Lying about the date means also lying about the forecast for the current financial year which factored in NX launching, if it is delayed, they would be screwed if they don't revise their forecast ahead of October 26th which is the next quarter of their financial results.

Forgive me if I'm being dumb (I probably am) but if the console wasn't due to launch until right at the end of the financial year (potentially the last day of it even) then wouldn't it not have that much effect on the financials until q1 2017?

ggx2ac

Forgive me if I'm being dumb (I probably am) but if the console wasn't due to launch until right at the end of the financial year (potentially the last day of it even) then wouldn't it not have that much effect on the financials until q1 2017?

The console launches March 2017. That is within the 4th quarter of the current fiscal year, that affects their current forecast.

When the new fiscal year starts at April 2017, they have to make a new forecast for the new fiscal year.

Edit: Near the end of April, they will have financial results for the fourth quarter of the current fiscal year. (The quarter that happened up to March 2017)

You clearly haven't seen Nintendo's 3DS and Wii U forecasts.

To put it bluntly, Nintendo will probably sell more NX units at launch than the number of Wii U units they're planning to ship over the entire fiscal year.

Ubisoft has been quiet open about Nintendo’s forthcoming NX platform in recent days. IGN caught up with Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot at a company event yesterday to quiz him about the Nintendo NX and see what he thought of the platform. He says the thing to take away is that Nintendo has learnt plenty of lessons from the Wii U and the Nintendo NX is a platform that should appeal to everyone.

“I think, once again, the interface is very attractive. It’s a machine that will be easy to use for all gamers. They have built in something that will give us chance to really have a different experience from what exists today. That’s what I like – that they come with something new that is adapted to what we actually want now.”

“It’s difficult to answer that [before NX is revealed]. What we see is that Nintendo has learned from the Wii U. All publishers learn from what they do, and then come with something new and more attractive, which I think is the case here.”

Ubisoft has been quiet open about Nintendo’s forthcoming NX platform in recent days. IGN caught up with Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot at a company event yesterday to quiz him about the Nintendo NX and see what he thought of the platform. He says the thing to take away is that Nintendo has learnt plenty of lessons from the Wii U and the Nintendo NX is a platform that should appeal to everyone.

“I think, once again, the interface is very attractive. It’s a machine that will be easy to use for all gamers. They have built in something that will give us chance to really have a different experience from what exists today. That’s what I like – that they come with something new that is adapted to what we actually want now.”

“It’s difficult to answer that [before NX is revealed]. What we see is that Nintendo has learned from the Wii U. All publishers learn from what they do, and then come with something new and more attractive, which I think is the case here.”
Dam I want to see this thing.

Yves might as well reveal the NX himself lol. He's said more than Nintendo has said in a year and a half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom