• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT OpEd: Will the Left Survive the Millennials?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont' agree with you.
I can see the normalization of Nazi rooted groups in Sweden.
This year they attended the national book fair, were they had people harass and intimidate others.
They are allowed on the news and spout lies with out being called out (just like Drumpf).

Nationalist demonstrations are held outside synagogue.

Again, those are not issues of speech. Physical harassment is not free speech.

Part of this comes down to the platforms that they can exploit. News that runs Nazi interviews without getting critically analyzed is a poor form of information. Twitter is a place where soundbites and hypercharged emotions can be expressed in 140 characters - actual debate can't occur.

Christ, it's not hard to takedown Trump. He may be the easiest debate target of all time. But he exploits certain platforms: news and Twitter. The longer takedowns are on platforms he doesn't engage. His message is sent out and he's barely filtered out. The Democrats are idiots for not handling this better.

I also believe some of the left has also forgotten how to debate properly. Outside of Trump though - Instead of properly taking down your opponents points in a rigorous way, things are left at "that's racist." It may seem self evident, but engaging on a high level with those ideas is critical.

Are you they are not pro Palestinian support group?
Old school racist are more pro-Arab and in see dent it kind of make sense

Nope, right wing nationalists.

Again, those are not issues of speech. Physical harassment is not free speech.

Part of this comes down to the platforms that they can exploit. News that runs Nazi interviews without getting critically analyzed is a poor form of information. Twitter is a place where soundbites and hypercharged emotions can be expressed in 140 characters - actual debate can't occur.

Christ, it's not hard to takedown Drumpf. He may be the easiest debate target of all time. But he exploits certain platforms: news and Twitter. The longer takedowns are on platforms he doesn't engage. His message is sent out and he's barely filtered out. The Democrats are idiots for not handling this better.

I also believe some of the left has also forgotten how to debate properly. Outside of Drumpf though - Instead of properly taking down your opponents points in a rigorous way, things are left at "that's racist." It may seem self evident, but engaging on a high level with those ideas is critical.

The examples i took were talked about a lot as a free speech issues.
The book fair invited a online news paper (nya tider) with strong xenophobic stance under the banner of free speech.
And then 30 odd Neo Nazis showed up and harassed people.
http://emmausbjorka.se/2016/09/25/nynazister-fran-nya-tider-aktion-mot-flyktingar-inne-pa-bokmassan/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/ente...3a5620-7e9f-11e6-8d13-d7c704ef9fd9_story.html

shitty writer gets pushback from her book, decries criticism as the collapse of civilization

Holy shit. Fuck that book. "Gubment"? Really? Black woman on a leash? Fuck outta here with that shit.

I'm not a millennial but writing shitty books isn't something only they find fault with. Sorry she didn't get to write her version of the Turner Diaries without anyone calling her out on it...

ElNarez

Banned
I mean, actual Nazism is a fringe of a fringe of a fringe. There are movements that can be defined as white supremacist in nature or effect, but the true "alt-right" (a.k.a. Neo-Nazis), the people that read Kevin MacDonald and tell you why the Jews are really the world's great enemy, are few in number and have no real political power.

They have very little power, but the presidential candidate of the second biggest party in America has accepted their endorsement. The danger of allowing neo-nazis to speak is in there. Their ideas have circulated far and wide enough that they have been assimilated by the mainstream. Sure, Trump isn't advocating for the fourth reich, but the fact that white supremacists are satisfied with his policies and worldview is indicative of a similar ideological framework.

Do you agree that we should do the same for Islamist sympathizer and communist one?
Those two are also intrinsically damaging to free speech

Depends on what you call "islamism", because the word has been overused to the point of near-meaninglessness. Am I for fighting violent religious extremism? Yes. Am I for using the word as a cudgel to attack all muslims, shutting them out from discussion? No way.

Same question on your definition of "communism". I believe you're referring to Stalinism, but I'd like you to clarify, as it could just as well refer to Marxism, which, as a method of socioeconomic analysis, has little to say on free speech.

lazypants

I believe in empathy and compassion, although I know I am in the minority. I agree with Shriver's point that empathy can cross gender, race, age or whatever other borders people decide divide us. We are all human, and the external aspects we sometimes focus so heavily on are nothing compared to the humanness we all share. It is perfectly reasonable for a white author to write from the perspective of a black protagonist because the inner humanity is the same for us all.

And even if someone is racist, or holds beliefs that differ from yours,it doesn't mean they deserve hatred and aggression. Instead, one should make an effort to understand what makes a human hold these beliefs and attempt to change them without attacking or personally insulting them. Hating racists may seem like an easy thing to justify, but when has hating people ever produced anything of value? Just becuase someone is stupid and wrong, doesn't mean they are inherently evil and deserving of hate, it just means they are a human, just like you.

Window

I feel a bit ill-equipped to make any meaningful comment on this subject but I think the issues and concerns surrounding free speech have been exacerbated by the advent of the internet which allows hate speech to flow in much larger volumes and with greater intensity and directivity than before.

Ekai

It's always interesting to me to see the furthering pushback to the growing consciousness around social issues.

I'd imagine some authors and thinkers liked to think of this new social networking era as a platform for them to spread more of their ideas. And while that may be true, it's also a platform for those ideas to come under attack.

Because of this, the cries for free speech and censorship are a fairly weak argument. We're dealing with intellectuals expect their words to be passed around without comment, and that their thoughts require no defense. Why should I have to defend my work? It's self evidently my own. I spread my ideas and you eat them up or silently disagree in your voiceless homes, that's how this works!

"To the privileged, equality feels like oppression." To the thinker usually afforded an unfiltered, uncommented, undoubted line into most of political and social discourse, this new world seems disturbing. I used to be able to say what I want, and now my audience is holding me to a higher standard and calling me out. And sometimes that has consequence - it can result in bad press and I can even lose some sales.

I see this as a maturing of political and social debate. For a while, you could write a book, and fall under little to no criticism. Followup arguments against your writing may be published, but they take time to compile and much of your audience may never even know they existed. Now, we see large takedowns of articles getting passed around more than the article itself, sometimes immediately after an essay or book has been published. Anyone can self publish a blog, and that blog can spool into large, enormous debates.

Suddenly, many people have found their voices, and those people are using them. Sometimes in unfortunate ways - there are certainly examples of this not working well. But discourse and debate has never been foolproof.

This is pretty much right on the money and why I always roll my eyes at people decrying "the millennials".

It comes across as the kind of statements some privileged and sheltered bigot who can't handle that other people exist or that they have a voice or real concerns that they face that have been created and instilled as a "just" means of being by lazy generations before them would make.

Sadly this demeaning of minorities/millennials has become common place with some Democrats. The people who are supposedly supposed to be my allies consistently try to argue that they should get away without criticism when they do or say heinous shit. Or that they are infallible. And they use this privileged view of themselves to complain about people who "dare" to voice their concerns. As time goes on, I increasingly drift further to the left and away from the Democrats who criticize individuals who sincerely face issues that they mock without a second thought. Of course it's even worse with Republicans and this argument far more often applies to them but I digress. It's an increasing concern of mine with Democrats and seeing some of that behavior on this board and elsewhere is frankly speaking alarming.

ElNarez

Banned
Christ, it's not hard to takedown Trump. He may be the easiest debate target of all time. But he exploits certain platforms: news and Twitter. The longer takedowns are on platforms he doesn't engage. His message is sent out and he's barely filtered out. The Democrats are idiots for not handling this better.

As an aside, the way to take down Trump is to show that, for all his talk of being an outsider, and an enemy of the system, his ideas are in line with the mainstream of Republican establishment orthodoxy, and mainstream politics in general. Yes, he's loudly sexist, racist, homophobic and all those things. But the substance of what he says is the logical continuation of the rightward shift the Republican party has been on since at least Obama's election.

They have very little power, but the presidential candidate of the second biggest party in America has accepted their endorsement. The danger of allowing neo-nazis to speak is in there. Their ideas have circulated far and wide enough that they have been assimilated by the mainstream. Sure, Trump isn't advocating for the fourth reich, but the fact that white supremacists are satisfied with his policies and worldview is indicative of a similar ideological framework.

And I'm sure you can find some crazy-ass supporters of the other political parties as well.

If the Neo Nazis being normalized by the mainstream (kind of a nebulous concept to be honest - Nazi-esque politics will never be removed forever), then you're not doing a good enough job debating. The answer isn't to make those ideas illegal, it's to do a better job at engaging those ideas, and the fears and motivations that drive those ideas.

Trump only got as far as he did because his opponents didn't take him seriously and are doing an incredibly bad job at handling him. But the Democrats have been bad at genuinely properly debating for ages now, and even worse at engaging the public conversation with any level of sophistication.

Enzom21

I didn't read it. I'm also not calling her a racist

Okay fair enough. Now if the book is exactly as the critic described, would you consider it racist?

And I'm sure you can find some crazy-ass supporters of the other political parties as well.

If the Neo Nazis being normalized by the mainstream (kind of a nebulous concept to be honest - Nazi-esque politics will never be removed forever), then you're not doing a good enough job debating. The answer isn't to make those ideas illegal, it's to do a better job at engaging those ideas, and the fears and motivations that drive those ideas.

Trump only got as far as he did because his opponents didn't take him seriously and are doing an incredibly bad job at handling him. But the Democrats have been bad at genuinely properly debating for ages now, and even worse at engaging the public conversation with any level of sophistication.

Trump got as far as he has because he actually says the shit the republicans have been saying with dog whistles.
All the bigotry and racism was always there, it was just said with coded language.
Trump supporters aren't a new set of racist voters that just appeared because of him, they were always the base of the republican party.

MUnited83

For you.
As far as the public conversation is concerned? Generally yes. There are no governments following a Nazi agenda, they hold little to no political power throughout the world, and little to know sway in intellectual discourse. To most people, it's effortless to disprove or debate against a Nazi writer or speaker because their thoughts are all based on easy to disprove "facts," such as racism.

But then, I don't believe the goal is to remove an idea completely from the world. You can't. You're fighting an uphill battle. Even if you make an idea illegal to express, it still exists. This is the logical foundation for free speech.

There's a difference between speech and violent assembly.

Neo-nazi speech and violent assembly are directly linked. It's not something that is disociated from one another.

How ironic that the first reply is literally the entire explanation for this article, because she can't handle criticism and thinks she is being censored, while arguing to censor other people's criticisms.
ftfy

I also love that now pointing out that she wrote a shitty book and this article is made in reaction to that is considered "ad hominem" now lol

Drumpf only got as far as he did because his opponents didn't take him seriously and are doing an incredibly bad job at handling him. But the Democrats have been bad at genuinely properly debating for ages now, and even worse at engaging the public conversation with any level of sophistication.
Hate speech being normalized is the reason why Trump is so fucking close to be president. Hate speech is literally almost putting a fucking fascist authoritian piece of shit in the highest place of power in the US. Think about that for a second. For all faults my own country has, I can at least rest assured we will never have such a piece of shit or far-right parties in charge in my lifetime.

Fuzzery

Yep. It's also lazy since it not a direct refutation of the points brought in the original piece. It's very common tactic of late.

Yeah, it'd actually be a pretty interesting topic to discuss.

Also, anything with MILLENNIAL in the title is massive clickbait. Maybe that's why NYT ran it!

Shriver’s 12th novel is set in a near-future American dystopia where many of the concerns currently expressed by conservatives finally have been realized. After an immigration amnesty, the country is flooded with “Lats” who elect a Mexican-born president who presides over a devastating economic collapse, in part created by runaway entitlements. Shriver observes President Alvarado’s “baby-faced softness only emphasized by the palatalized consonants of a Mexican accent,” a stereotypical image of a pudgy, lisping Mexican that links his perfidy to his ethnicity as would an elliptically described hooked nose on a loathsome Jewish character.

The two black characters are similarly ill-treated. One, a social worker, is the novel’s only character who speaks sub-standard English. After Alvarado renounces the national debt, she says, “I don’t see why the gubment ever pay anything back. Pass a law say, ‘We don’t got to.’ ” It was once common in newspapers, fiction and nonfiction to report the speech of “ordinary” people in standard English, while voicing minorities in dialect or vernacular, as they might sound to white ears; this still happens from time to time, unfortunately. By recording only the speech of minority characters in sub-standard English, you stigmatize the entire ethnic group as something other than normal. No one speaks perfectly. Respect for your characters suggests that if you record one’s solecisms, dropped consonants, drawl or brogue, you will faithfully record everybody else’s, too.

The most problematic of Shriver’s minority characters is an African American woman who has married into the white family at the heart of the novel. She suffers from early-onset dementia and is a danger to herself and to others. As the economy collapses, the family loses its home and treks across Brooklyn with the woman at the end of a leash. A plot development that features an uncontrollable black person who has to be kept under restraint like a dog seems guaranteed to hurt and provoke outrage. I wrote, “If ‘The Mandibles’ is ever made into a film, my suggestion is that this image not be employed for the movie poster.” I was thinking of ads in bus shelters and, honestly, I imagined they’d be wrecked.

LOL Really? Yes the left is the problem here...clearly.

JP_

Banned
It's always interesting to me to see the furthering pushback to the growing consciousness around social issues.

I'd imagine some authors and thinkers liked to think of this new social networking era as a platform for them to spread more of their ideas. And while that may be true, it's also a platform for those ideas to come under attack.

Because of this, the cries for free speech and censorship are a fairly weak argument. We're dealing with intellectuals expect their words to be passed around without comment, and that their thoughts require no defense. Why should I have to defend my work? It's self evidently my own. I spread my ideas and you eat them up or silently disagree in your voiceless homes, that's how this works!

"To the privileged, equality feels like oppression." To the thinker usually afforded an unfiltered, uncommented, undoubted line into most of political and social discourse, this new world seems disturbing. I used to be able to say what I want, and now my audience is holding me to a higher standard and calling me out. And sometimes that has consequence - it can result in bad press and I can even lose some sales.

I see this as a maturing of political and social debate. For a while, you could write a book, and fall under little to no criticism. Followup arguments against your writing may be published, but they take time to compile and much of your audience may never even know they existed. Now, we see large takedowns of articles getting passed around more than the article itself, sometimes immediately after an essay or book has been published. Anyone can self publish a blog, and that blog can spool into large, enormous debates.

Suddenly, many people have found their voices, and those people are using them. Sometimes in unfortunate ways - there are certainly examples of this not working well. But discourse and debate has never been foolproof.

Yep

Fuzzery

The question of whether or not people of a certain race can write about and portray POC is an interesting one. Does it come off as un-authentic? Only if you only emphasize the stereotypes/in a negative light?

For example, the wire has an all-white writing cast, but is acclaimed as a realistic portrayal of inner city baltimore. I don't think anyone should or would complain about the cast of writers being all white here, but some might object out of principle.

Trump got as far as he has because he actually says the shit the republicans have been saying with dog whistles.
All the bigotry and racism was always there, it was just said with coded language.
Trump supporters aren't a new set of racist voters that just appeared because of him, they were always the base of the republican party.

I'm unconvinced that most people explicitly support Trump's racist views or would have thought of them themselves. Instead, it's a reaction born from fear and uncertainty. Most low and middle income families struggle for stability. It's not hard to see where Trump's talking points would resonate with angry voters. The minorities and immigrants are the scapegoats. President Obama has been a scapegoat for the Republicans his whole run as president. People like to blame, point fingers.

This is probably why Sanders does so much better than Clinton for certain blocks of voters. She doesn't tap into the anger as easily, and it's easy to paint her into the "part of the problem" corner because of her ties to Obama and her husband. The racist talking points get attacked, but not the underlying fear or uncertainty.

Neo-nazi speech and violent assembly are directly linked. It's not something that is disociated from one another.

With that argument, then, it's not necessary to outlaw Neo Nazi speech, because violent assembly is already illegal.

Hate speech being normalized is the reason why Trump is so fucking close to be president. Hate speech is literally almost putting a fucking fascist authoritian piece of shit in the highest place of power in the US. Think about that for a second. For all faults my own country has, I can at least rest assured we will never have such a piece of shit or far-right parties in charge in my lifetime.

Liberals being incapable of handling or countering hate speech well is also part of the problem. Just because you can't debate against it properly doesn't mean it should be illegal.

Hate speech may be morally wrong, but that doesn't mean it should be illegal. It should be fought, properly, long and hard and without mercy. And it can be combated. And any violence, any illegal actions taken while committing hate speech should be pounced upon - put them in jail when they cross the line.

I feel like both sides of the political spectrum are guilty of it in different ways. And yea, that book appears to be rather gross, but the op ed is worth discussing.

I sort of agree that it's worth the discussion, but she's built herself (and her book) into something it isn't, and then argues from that. If there's an example of a writer writing characters of other races in a non-offensive way, and that writer still gets blowback for it, then we have something to talk about.

As it stands, it's a vacuous discussion since there doesn't seem to be an example of what she's talking about (her book is decidedly not a good example).

My issue is that she combines lets say a campus not allowing speaker to speak because of "triggers" vs some suburban white writer writing "Shifty D and His Hoes, A True Tale From Da Hood"
Oh so now we're gonna drag the Shifty D quadrilogy?! Fucking progressives, man.

Jonm1010

Banned
The author is arguing in favor of a broad interpretation of free speech as being preferable and more productive to liberal ideals and progressing them to one where speech is more heavily censored through various strong arm tactics including the advocacy of legislation. When you unpeel the elements that likely drove her to write this that is what is at the core. Those tactics, amongst others are the emphasis on silencing those that speak with deemed micro-aggressions, stirring online mobs to silence or punish, organizing real-life groups to strong arm or silence deemed inappropriate speech, and to use the shield of being sensitive to engage in brutal insensitivity to others deemed an enemy(something often done arbitrarily and through imperfect information), often those in their own ranks.

I don't understand what is so offensive about discussing that? Those on the left supporting these methods and sympathizing with those she speaks about advocating censorship have a moral obligation to the common good and liberalism itself to explain what makes its approach the appropriate and optimal method for addressing their grievances.

If I am being honest it seems like a natural human social behavior where something new is being felt out to determine its limits and it seeps into and affects older social structures in the process. Like a comedian that tells increasingly offensive or dark jokes to find out where the lines are at a given moment in time. In this case it is the world opened up through social networking and the ability to connect and surround yourself with like minded people like never before.

Social shaming has had a role to play in social progress forever. With social networks and new avenues of connecting it has changed the game.

My issue and concern is this new left's inability to self reflect or take criticism well. Something that was a core tenant of western liberalism and helped drive it forward. An unwillingness to even question the efficacy of their methods and at times even attack those that dare question them. That mindset is incredibly dangerous and self defeating and shows a tone deafness to what built the foundation they are now claiming is theirs to build on. The loop of honest and tough discourse questioning present ideas through critical thinking, logic and reason is why liberalism has advanced over the years. When a person shows genuine concern for an issue they see on the left, if you can't stop and actually defend why that criticized tactic or method is optimal, you should probably figure that shit out before declaring that criticism is invalid. If your first instinct is to try and declare they aren't genuine or they are secretly harboring cynical motives and thus you can ignore them, you are doing progress no favors if you call yourself a progressive and you certainly aren't a liberal.

Maybe someone already posted it and I didn't see it but the NYT published a pretty good OpEd about the same subject: "Who Gets to Write What?"
A writer has the right to inhabit any character she pleases — she’s always had it and will continue to have it. The complaint seems to be less that some people ask writers to think about cultural appropriation, and more that a writer wishes her work not to be critiqued for doing so, that instead she get a gold star for trying.

-sdp

Obama had a speech about this about a year ago I wish I could find it, you don't have to go far to look for evidence just take a look at this very forum. I do think the left has become nearly as bad as the right in recent years.

The examples i took were talked about a lot as a free speech issues.
The book fair invited a online news paper (nya tider) with strong xenophobic stance under the banner of free speech.
And then 30 odd Neo Nazis showed up and harassed people.
http://emmausbjorka.se/2016/09/25/nynazister-fran-nya-tider-aktion-mot-flyktingar-inne-pa-bokmassan/
This has little to do with free speech. Harassment and intimidation should be handled by the event security and otherwise police. If a pathetic group wants to stand somewhere and shout hateful things, so be it. The problem is when they act on those things. And as with a lot of issues surrounding this in Europe, it is the lack of actual enforcement against violence, harassment and intimidation that lets things go out of control. Not the lack of bans on hate speech.

Obama had a speech about this about a year ago I wish I could find it, you don't have to go far to look for evidence just take a look at this very forum. I do think the left has become nearly as bad as the right in recent years.
The constant "left versus right" is more problematic then both sides issues. People are being played against each other constantly, leading to more extremism from both sides.

This has little to do with free speech. Harassment and intimidation should be handled by the event security and otherwise police. If a pathetic group wants to stand somewhere and shout hateful things, so be it. The problem is when they act on those things. And as with a lot of issues surrounding this in Europe, it is the lack of actual enforcement against violence, harassment and intimidation that lets things go out of control. Not the lack of bans on hate speech.

The constant "left versus right" is more problematic then both sides issues. People are being played against each other constantly, leading to more extremism from both sides.

Well, if you knew more about the circumstances at the book fair you would understand the point is that the people talking about free speech for Nazis will lead normalization and that leads to intimidation.

Also wondering what extremism the supposed left are doing that is comparable with Nazis and other right wing groups?

televator

Screw up the economy for a whole generation and then blame that generation or every single social woe under the sun. Nice.

Edit: the realquestion is; Will the establishment "left" survive its shortsighted gamble on alienating potential allies who could carry the Democratic party into the future?

Metroxed

"Radical left"? Nothing about the American left is remotely close to the radical left. They might be socially progressive but from as long as they conform to market capitalism (and they do), they cannot be considered radical left in any possible way.

Well, if you knew more about the circumstances at the book fair you would understand the point is that the people talking about free speech for Nazis will lead normalization and that leads to intimidation.

Also wondering what extremism the supposed left are doing that is comparable with Nazis and other right wing groups?
I'm not going to defend what actual Neo-Nazi's are doing, but in the article you linked the trouble seems to be that they intimidated people there and threw their books on other stalls. So get security and/or police involved and throw them out. I don't see the link to free speech there and how it should be limited to stop those things.

Also, the event can refuse exhibitors. They are under no obligation to host Neo-Nazi's. There is no law or limit on free speech necessary to do that. It is a private event I think, so draw up some guidelines and enforce them. No need for government intervention to tell organizers to do that or not.

Locally here in Holland we had some stupid protests from Pegida. While those are disgusting, they were allowed by local authorities and self declared "anti-fascists" made trouble around it, in one occasion a firework bomb was found at the protest location that could have been detonated remotely.

Boss Mog

This isn't new, freedom of speech isn't freedom from criticism. Oh no, people hate my book, obviously society is wrong and needs to change.

Depends on what or who you are criticizing though. In today's PC climate some things seem to be completely off limits no matter what.

I'm not going to defend what actual Neo-Nazi's are doing, but in the article you linked the trouble seems to be that they intimidated people there and threw their books on other stalls. So get security and/or police involved and throw them out. I don't see the link to free speech there and how it should be limited to stop those things.

Also, the event can refuse exhibitors. They are under no obligation to host Neo-Nazi's. There is no law or limit on free speech necessary to do that. It is a private event I think, so draw up some guidelines and enforce them. No need for government intervention to tell organizers to do that or not.

Locally here in Holland we had some stupid protests from Pegida. While those are disgusting, they were allowed by local authorities and self declared "anti-fascists" made trouble around it, in one occasion a firework bomb was found at the protest location that could have been detonated remotely.

The argument is that the book fair fucked up by inviting these Nazis under the banner of free speech.
They talked about how we must debate them and show that they are wrong.
Yet during the book fair the Neo Nazi group were allowed to do what they did best and NONE "took the debate"
All it did was add to the normalization of a group with Neo Nazi roots.

Regarding right vs left violence I've posted that a guy was killed by Neo Nazis in Finland.
We have had masked people chasing POC on the streets of Stockholm.
So you can't compare the two imo.

Boss★Moogle;218069366 said:
Depends on what or who you are criticizing though. In today's PC climate some things seem to be completely off limits no matter what.

I don't understand what exactly it is you feel unable to express due to "PC climate".

The argument is that the book fair fucked up by inviting these Nazis under the banner of free speech.
They talked about how we must debate them and show that they are wrong.
Yet during the book fair the Neo Nazi group were allowed to do what they did best and NONE "took the debate"
All it did was add to the normalization of a group with Neo Nazi roots.

Regarding right vs left violence I've posted that a guy was killed by Neo Nazis in Finland.
We have had masked people chasing POC on the streets of Stockholm.
So you can't compare the two imo.
Then I think I misunderstood your argument. I thought you wanted to shift the banning of such things from the organizers to the government. I think an organization can keep out Neo-Nazi's on their own already.

I agree that it is hard to have a debate with figures like that and unless maybe done on a personal level is mostly pointless. You won't suddenly convince a group like that they are in the wrong. But banning offensive speech and related things by the government creates more problems then it solves.

As for the violence argument, you can go back and forth all day with examples there. If you are going to use a racist attack in Stockholm as one, I can point to the harassment and violence by immigrant youth recently making headlines here in Holland as the other. That discussion has little to do with the topic at hand. But I think this constant classification as "left" and "right" doesn't really add much anyway, since it just puts people in boxes and creates more tension. The left isn't always right on all issues, the right isn't also.

Then I think I misunderstood your argument. I thought you wanted to shift the banning of such things from the organizers to the government. I think an organization can keep out Neo-Nazi's on their own already.

I agree that it is hard to have a debate with figures like that and unless maybe done on a personal level is mostly pointless. You won't suddenly convince a group like that they are in the wrong. But banning offensive speech and related things by the government creates more problems then it solves.

As for the violence argument, you can go back and forth all day with examples there. If you are going to use a racist attack in Stockholm as one, I can point to the harassment and violence by immigrant youth recently making headlines here in Holland as the other. That discussion has little to do with the topic at hand. But I think this constant classification as "left" and "right" doesn't really add much anyway, since it just puts people in boxes and creates more tension. The left isn't always right on all issues, the right isn't also.

So the left are responsible for immigrant youth? (funny how POC are always considered immigrant if they do something bad)

You are right that comparing right wing and left wing violence only showes that the right wing are more extreme. They actually KILL people.
During the last 20-25 years the peple on the right have killed about 25 ppl in Sweden.
So yeah, doesn't even stack up.

A bad writer attempts to co-opt a larger argument to deflect from the fact that his book is bad and somewhat racist. (And it somewhat works because people don't look too deeply into anything.)

I love these millenials articles. Taken en masse, they project this world were millenials have somewhat destroyed everything we love and hope for by either being too soft, too angry, too lazy, too hard-working, too closed off, or too open.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
https://www.washingtonpost.com/enter...fd9_story.html

shitty writer gets pushback from her book, decries criticism as the collapse of civilization
Woooooow

I'm not surprised to see people immediately rushing to dismiss the author based on past slights instead of trying to critique the argument being made by the article.
But her argument is directly connected to her writing, which was criticized for portraying racist stereotypes, not for so-called cultural appropriation.

It's 100% deflection, and it's dishonest.

1) Author writes racist stereotypes in her novel
2) Book reviewer criticizes the novel for it
3) Author gives a talk about how it's OK to write about minorities (strawman), completely ignoring the stereotypes part
4) Author blames millennials for some reason, also whines about her free speech while being given a platform by the NY Times

You can't make this shit up...

Right? This is why a lot of Milenials are jaded by Liberalism today. We're sick of SJWs who attack others from a platform of perceived moral superiority, safe spaces, etc.
Wow

This is coming from someone who claimed that Hillary Clinton has "vocalized her hatred of black people". You'd think that blanket accusations of extreme racism is something only "SJWs" do, so does that mean you are sick of yourself?

Jesus christ, this isn't just shitty writing, it sounds like they wrote a legitimately hateful, racist, and mean-spirited piece of fiction.
Sure looks like it anyway.

How ironic that the first reply is literally an ad hominem.
And yet this reply is even more ironic

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
People said mean things about my stupid book. I'm being oppressed!

Let's tackle the argument.

Briefly, my address maintained that fiction writers should be allowed to write fiction — thus should not let concerns about “cultural appropriation” constrain our creation of characters from different backgrounds than our own. I defended fiction as a vital vehicle for empathy. If we have permission to write only about our own personal experience, there is no fiction, but only memoir. Honestly, my thesis seemed so self-evident that I’d worried the speech would be bland.

Fiction writers tackles different backgrounds from their own all the time, without issue or problem. Some of our best current fiction and entertainment is created by people from backgrounds other than the one they're writing from. The difference is, as always, one of research. Did the writer take the time to understand the culture they were writing about? Did they seek help or do the research? I was taught in college that you have to do the legwork to write about something: if you're writing military fiction, not actually doing any research on military practices or culture means you create a weaker work. It's interesting that otherwise erudite posters are arguing against such rigor.

The author attempts to paint commentary against their work as an indicative of a larger problem, but neglects to even ask if that commentary might be true. Did they write well-rounded characters? Did they even attempt to understand the groups, races, or cultures they were primarily writing about?

Moreover, people who would hamper free speech always assume that they’re designing a world in which only their enemies will have to shut up. But free speech is fragile. Left-wing activists are just as dependent on permission to speak their minds as their detractors.

In an era of weaponized sensitivity, participation in public discourse is growing so perilous, so fraught with the danger of being caught out for using the wrong word or failing to uphold the latest orthodoxy in relation to disability, sexual orientation, economic class, race or ethnicity, that many are apt to bow out. Perhaps intimidating their elders into silence is the intention of the identity-politics cabal — and maybe my generation should retreat to our living rooms and let the young people tear one another apart over who seemed to imply that Asians are good at math.

Let's talk about her original contention here:

Midway through my opening address for the Brisbane Writers Festival earlier this month, Yassmin Abdel-Magied, a Sudanese-born Australian engineer and 25-year-old memoirist, walked out. Her indignant comments about the event might have sunk into obscurity, along with my speech, had they not been republished by The Guardian. Twenty minutes in, this audience member apparently turned to her mother: “ ‘Mama, I can’t sit here,’ I said, the corners of my mouth dragging downwards. ‘I cannot legitimize this.’ ” She continued: “The faces around me blurred. As my heels thudded against the grey plastic of the flooring, harmonizing with the beat of the adrenaline pumping through my veins, my mind was blank save for one question. ‘How is this happening?’ ”

Most of this hand-wringing is because two people didn't like her speech. Three, if you count the New Guardian columnist. That is and will always be, their right of free expression. They retain the right to disagree. She speaks of intimidating others into silence, but taking that at face value, what is this? Is this not an attempt to shame others for what she perceives to be a problem? Is this not the sensitivity she speaks of?

This entire article culminates in some slippery slope allusions to a far future.

But do we really want every intellectual conversation to be scrupulously cleansed of any whiff of controversy? Will people, so worried about inadvertently giving offense, avoid those with different backgrounds altogether? Is that the kind of fiction we want — in which the novels of white writers all depict John Cheever’s homogeneous Connecticut suburbs of the 1950s, while the real world outside their covers becomes ever more diverse?

Part of talk and discourse is not only sharing ideas, but also understanding that we are human and you will frequently run into disagreements on the content of those ideas. There will always be controversy and expecting the average person to hew to this emotionless, dry acceptance of anything said or created, regardless of the effort or research put into it, is wrong. If I can say that someone who is writing a work of fiction doesn't understand police work or the life of a journalist, and have that lack of detail inform my response to the work, why is that unacceptable when it comes to race and culture?

There will always be disagreement and controversy. The only way to avoid that is not to create anything of note.

I note the end:

Protecting freedom of speech involves protecting the voices of people with whom you may violently disagree. In my youth, liberals would defend the right of neo-Nazis to march down Main Street. I cannot imagine anyone on the left making that case today.

This reads to me as "Do not counter-protest or protest such speech." Much like above, it advocates for this blind acceptance. "Do nor disagree, do not protest, do not dissent. This is our free expression and you have to take it as it is." It seems so many have this idea of the only valid response is sitting in a debate hall trading dry speech and replies.

It's interesting, because protest is one of our stronger forms of speech. Yet, there's such derision aimed in the direction of protest. One can only look at the response to BLM or Colin Kaepernik on that front. Response that, I might add, is free on its own. One is free to boycott and dislike Kaepernik for his protest, as he is still able to protest.

So I ask in closing: What is the freedom that Lionel Shriver has lost? EDIT: I'll also add, What freedom is she on the verge of losing? Near term? Far term?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
^ Fantastic take-down, should shut up all the "attack the argument not the author" whining at least (who am I kidding they'll just ignore this :D)
So I ask in closing: What is the freedom that Lionel Shriver has lost?
Oh, oh, may I answer?

I would say that she lost... the ability to write garbage racist stereotypes without being called out for it!

Tragic loss, to be sure.

Sianos

remember everyone, criticism of something is censorship

because if you criticize someone for doing something stupid they might not do it again, which is basically ""by definition"" self-censorship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom