• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Macquarie Report on NX: "Coming next week" (Take with a grain of salt)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmyS

A ballpark Wii U powered handheld with an Android based OS for mobile integration and detachable controllers. Packaged with a Chromecast style HDMI WiFi dongle to beam an image to a TV Screen.

Why is it taking Nintendo so long to announce this device? They are waiting for the games, of course. Both for the handheld and mobile games which will interact with each other.

Because that would be a massive disappointment. Please no.

Kyzer

Banned
What's the point of laughing at 10k's "leaks" and then proceeding to argue about how your own made up conjecture is correct

So the current big speculation is that it's gonna be announced next week ? I stopped following the news since mid-september.

I hope the event will be full of game reveal.

The currrent speculation is that next week at the briefing Kimishima will say, "Oh, we're not talking about the NX today" and that will be it.

THE:MILKMAN

You already know SMD is making a video that will say "this is even more evidence that NX is using AMD".

Genuinely what would be so unbelievable about Nintendo using both AMD and Nvidia for different hardware? They currently use DMP/AMD/IBM between 3DS and WiiU.

Apart from that though I find this spat between SMD/DFG/10k etc quite funny. We don't see this sort of thing here with the other consoles "insiders". Nintendo really does make people crazy I guess.

I know we´re all going crazy over no announcement yet. And maybe an imminent soon. The disappointment and lost hope through the year that has amassed on gaf.

But once that announcement/reveal comes. Can you imagine how sweet that is going to be. Everything that happened until then, will be forgotten and the Twitch-chat will be full of
and gaf will have the hype gifs at the ready. That is if gaf survives the reveal and doesn´t crash.

A ballpark Wii U powered handheld with an Android based OS for mobile integration and detachable controllers. Packaged with a Chromecast style HDMI WiFi dongle to beam an image to a TV Screen.

Why is it taking Nintendo so long to announce this device? They are waiting for the games, of course. Both for the handheld and mobile games which will interact with each other.

Android is a shitty OS for games and NX should be stronger than Wii U.

imjust1n

Banned
Genuinely what would be so unbelievable about Nintendo using both AMD and Nvidia for different hardware? They currently use DMP/AMD/IBM between 3DS and WiiU.

Apart from that though I find this spat between SMD/DFG/10k etc quite funny. We don't see this sort of thing here with the other consoles "insiders". Nintendo really does make people crazy I guess.

People want Nividia to make graphic cards for consoles Becuase they see they are great for the PC.

What they don't realize is that the X1 and the Tegra line didn't do so great. They just are not great mobile chip makers. AMD makes amazing game console chips.

Smd has points and some people just want to be oblivious of the truth. I think it's gonna be amd and dmp but we shall see in 5 days.

People want Nividia to make graphic cards for consoles Becuase they see they are great for the PC.

What they don't realize is that the X1 and the Tegra line didn't do so great. They just are not great mobile chip makers. AMD makes amazing game console chips.

Smd has points and some people just want to be oblivious of the truth. I think it's gonna be amd and dmp but we shall see in 5 days.

Yes amd is certainly a leader in the handheld segment. Unlike nvidia who's never had any experience making a handheld

Hoo-doo

Banned
I know we´re all going crazy over no announcement yet. And maybe an imminent soon. The disappointment and lost hope through the year that has amassed on gaf.

But once that announcement/reveal comes. Can you imagine how sweet that is going to be. Everything that happened until then, will be forgotten and the Twitch-chat will be full of
and gaf will have the hype gifs at the ready. That is if gaf survives the reveal and doesn´t crash.

Don't forget the intense disappointment when it turns out this thing isn't the thing people have dreamed and fantasized about for the last year.

I expect it to be little more than a semi-decent handheld with some TV connectivity options.

Nvidia makes better gpus for portables than AMD. And NX is no smartphone, its more like a fat tablet, if the rumours are true. For that surpose a Tegra would be ok. But the rumors don´t even speak of a tegra anymore (emily and nate). Just a custom SoC with Nvidia as the GPU (chipset) tech vendor. There probably won't be a X1, X2/Parker in NX.

Pascal is a good choice for NX, if true.

imjust1n

Banned
Nvidia makes better gpus for portables than AMD. And NX is no smartphone, its more like a fat tablet, if the rumours are true. For that surpose a Tegra would be ok. But the rumors don´t even speak of a tegra anymore (emily and nate). Just a custom SoC with Nvidia as the GPU (chipset) tech vendor. There probably won't be a X1, X2/Parker in NX.

Tell me when Nividia made a gaming console chip? I think it's gonna be amd man. I know people want Nividia PC graphic but I just don't see it anywhere. Lots of fingers point to amd.

Tell me when Nividia made a gaming console chip? I think it's gonna be amd man. I know people want Nividia PC graphic but I just don't see it anywhere. Lots of fingers point to amd.

I think you should probably consider how many fingers are actually pointing in the opposite direction. Right after you acknowledge what the nx actually is (hint: not console)

THE:MILKMAN

All I know is if Nintendo have put even 1% of the effort into NX hardware has they have in keeping it a secret then it should very good indeed.

PS3 is Nvidia? Xbox?

And it doesn't matter, Nvidia is probably only delivering the pascal architecture.

I wouldn't have any problems with amd either, but i don't think emily and nate are lying and as it is now Nvidia seems real for the gpu part.

Are you sure you know what you're talking about?

At its core, Android is basically just an OS that can call hardware at low level. As far as I know at least, it (in itself) has nothing to do with how games run. But feel free to correct me if you're really an expert.

Don't forget the intense disappointment when it turns out this thing isn't the thing people have dreamed and fantasized about for the last year.

I expect it to be little more than a semi-decent handheld with some TV connectivity options.

Well, what happens after the reveal is a different discussion heh.

Are you sure you know what you're talking about?

At its core, Android is basically just an OS that can call hardware at low level. As far as I know at least, it (in itself) has nothing to do with how games run. But feel free to correct me if you're really an expert.

I don't know the reasons, but it seems to me that Android eats a lot of performance runnig games. I do believe that it's not the most efficient OS. Can be wrong, it's only what i think and heard.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
The only reason there's a "vendor war" is because if Nintendo uses Nvidia, then the hybrid rumour is true and the NX is considered "weak" due to using a Tegra.

If the rumours stated that NX was powered by a GTX 1080, no one would be having this "vendor war", they'd be rejoicing over having a system more powerful than the competition so they can brag about it with their massive ego.

The problem is that we know nothing for sure, all rumors and none of them seem more reliable than others, starting from the gpu to understand the nx is like trying to understand a car by the vendor of the engine in a world that only has 2 engine vendors, obviously the engine of a camion(=home console) is different from the one of a city car(=handheld) but the same engine could be used in similar but very different cars, also a car could use a heavily modified engine(=nx could be a handheld with a heavily modified amd gpu for example), so starting from the gpu is pointless imo, we should first know what nx is and only then speculating on its hardware.

EDIT:
also if nx is really a hybrid the gpu could be anything depending if the priority is power for the home console or the battery for the handheld or something in between, or maybe home and handheld have 2 different hardwares, or maybe there's no handheld or no home, and so on, there are no basis to start a meaningful speculation on the gpu.

cacildo

So the current big speculation is that it's gonna be announced next week ? I stopped following the news since mid-september.

I hope the event will be full of game reveal.

Its just that

- the eurogamer report said "reveal in september"

- we didnt had any reveal in september

- based on this people moved to "then the reveal is in early october!!!!"

- half october on and no reveal

- so this is the last week before the investor meeting, a date in which nintendo will have to say SOMETHING about the future of the company, which, in theory, have to do with the Nintendo Nx

- so if there is really a big NX blowout this year, it should be before the investor meeting... or they will say the date on the investor meeeting

Me? I think its a delay. Nintendo NX christmas 2017

This device will have to run Nintendo's mobile games somehow, and interact with the one's already out there. But I concede that maybe that doesn't need Android.

Should be more powerful that a Wii U? Or just wishful thinking? Every Nintendo mobile device released has had a ballpark power of the previous home console product. Nintendo won't need anymore power than that. Only crazies think Nintendo are going to fit a PS4 into a handheld at an affordable price with an acceptable battery life.

Take a look at Japan. What kind of device is going to be most appreciated and desired there. Because that's the market Nintendo will looking to satisfy. Of course Nintendo want to be a success in the West, but as it has always been - they will look around them and make a device first and foremost for their home market.

hughesta

Banned
would bet money on the meeting having a mention of the NX releasing "holiday 2017" and that being all we get. reveal at or just before E3.

Its just that

- so this is the last week before the investor meeting, a date in which nintendo will have to say SOMETHING about the future of the company, which, in theory, have to do with the Nintendo Nx

- so if there is really a big NX blowout this year, it should be before the investor meeting... or they will say the date on the investor meeeting

I doubt that bolded part. No way they will delay it after saying they gave the thing another 6 months so the games are ready.
And NO rumor has said anything about problems with the hard or software so that a delay would be neccessary.
This pessimistic view on everything Nintendo related is just incredible. There are only two extrems: totally overhyped and Nintendo will show the best concsole evr or Nintendo will show the worst piece of tech ever created because they are SO stupid and can't even count to one.

I doubt that bolded part. No way they will delay it after saying they gave the thing another 6 months so the games are ready.
And NO rumor has said anything about problems with the hard or software so that a delay would be neccessary.
This pessimistic view on everything Nintendo related is just incredible. There are only two extrems: totally overhyped and Nintendo will show the best concsole evr or Nintendo will show the worst piece of tech ever created because they are SO stupid and can't even count to one.

Except that, Nintendo earned that pessimism.

120v

not sure nintendo could "afford" to have virtually no software/hardware available for a full year. there could be a delay but holiday/fall 2017 would be house on fire drastic

Its just that

I completley agree, i think at this point with still nothing said theres no way this thing hits early next year, realistically early Next year direct with the thing hitting in the fall. Of course this will give zelda another delay to the ire of many but I just dont think they are ready.

not sure nintendo could "afford" to have virtually no software/hardware available for a full year. there could be a delay but holiday/fall 2017 would be house on fire drastic

Even though they say they are not competing directly against PS4 or XBox One they truly are. Between PS4 Pro release in November and Scorpios release next fall they are really stuck between a rock and a hard place. They would be wise to release it in March so they don't have to go directly against the Scorpios release schedule. Of course release when the software is done and all, but if they don't have a lot of software built up for release by now the NX will be finished before it has started.

This device will have to run Nintendo's mobile games somehow, and interact with the one's already out there. But I concede that maybe that doesn't need Android.

Should be more powerful that a Wii U? Or just wishful thinking? Every Nintendo mobile device released has had a ballpark power of the previous home console product. Nintendo won't need anymore power than that. Only crazies think Nintendo are going to fit a PS4 into a handheld at an affordable price with an acceptable battery life.

Take a look at Japan. What kind of device is going to be most appreciated and desired there. Because that's the market Nintendo will looking to satisfy. Of course Nintendo want to be a success in the West, but as it has always been - they will look around them and make a device first and foremost for their home market.

They will port the few mobile games but they won´t use android for that i think.

I also don't believe they will put PS4 power in a tablet, but if the rumours are correct it's not just a handheld. More like a fat tablet and with this formfactor more than wii u shouldn't be a problem.

Eurogamer said there was active cooling, noisy, with a Tegra X1 which was probably a placeholder. Allone that would be better than Wii U. Newer rumours say SoC with custom (Pascal) GPU (chipset), still with active cooling. Doesn't sound like Nintendo wants to build a very weak and extremely efficient small handheld, if true.

Nate says 3-4x Wii U gflops (with Wii U gigaflops estimated at 176(?)gflops). We'll see ;) I think it's not impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom