• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 41, 2016

I get the horrible feeling that this is about as good as it's going to get for VR.

You don't think any other PSVR game will chart in and around the top 10 again?
I think there will be a couple games upcoming like Farpoint which could be a surprise.

But yeah its tough for PSVR software when the install base is so tiny in the bigger picture.

TR came out way too late. PS4 owners aren't that interested as expected.

It's too expensive for a year old port as well (even with all the DLC included)
SE should've launched it at £30.

The next time PS4 owners will give a shit is when the next TR game rolls around on time.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
About VR: No numbers known yet, but I'll say that having 5 of them charting in top 20 (even if between 10th to 20th) is quite more than what I was expecting in UK. We'll have to see how it goes in the next few weeks.

Still gob smacked at Gears despite keeping expectations in check. It can't be seen by anything but a disappointment at MS.

Be interesting to see US numbers for it. But they can't be good going off these. Yikes!

Guymelef

Forza holding on! Need the sexy weight lifting guy gif, it is time. Especially now that Drive Club is back in the charts.

It's not crazy to expect some Gears numbers from MS by the end of the month ? They did release PR for Halo.

They did release a PR... Without sales numbers.

My Gears prediction was way off. It'll still make money for them but it proves MS need a big new IP. I do think that State of Decay will be big for them though.

I'm willing to bet Forza Horizon 3 will hold better and outsell Gears in the UK.

OléGunner;220342293 said:
You don't think any other PSVR game will chart in and around the top 10 again?
I think there will be a couple games upcoming like Farpoint which could be a surprise.

But yeah its tough for PSVR software when the install base is so tiny in the bigger picture.

Just as a general showing for VR in the charts, I think it'll be very front-loaded. PSVR is the best shot that tech has at becoming mainstream, yet we know how good Sony is at 'supporting' their peripherals (EyeToy, Move). I'm worried that this might be the best it gets. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Kyonashi

Yeah, nice to see those healthy DQB numbers, I guess the Minecraft style served it well.

Gears really did surprise even me, tbh. But as I said in the other thread, I'm not gonna be giving hints on this one - it's too high profile and I'm not risking that hot water.

I predicted over 150k because install base is higher than Halo 5 launch...

Gears is a core IP but anecdotes at places like Amazon US and retail insiders have painted Gears4 excitement to be more muted than Halo 5.

Not that it's a perfect indicator, but it wasn't a sure fire that it'll perform very well.

Mario007

Yeah, nice to see those healthy DQB numbers, I guess the Minecraft style served it well.

Gears really did surprise even me, tbh. But as I said in the other thread, I'm not gonna be giving hints on this one - it's too high profile and I'm not risking that hot water.
Could you tell us which of three DQ games, Heroes, VII or builders, did the best for opening week?

what does that even mean

Instead of gears of war 4 sales looking like this

Mona_Lisa_(copy,_Hermitage).jpg
it looks like this

Guymelef

How does Gears 4 compare to the previous games ?

Code:
[Week 46, 2006] 01 (NE) GEARS OF WAR (MICROSOFT) ~ 100,000 / NEW
[Week 45, 2008] 01 (NE) GEARS OF WAR 2 (MICROSOFT) ~ 220,000 / NEW
[Week 38, 2011] 01 (NE) GEARS OF WAR 3 (MICROSOFT) - 323,000 / NEW
[Week 12, 2013] 01 (NE) GEARS OF WAR: JUDGEMENT (MICROSOFT) ~ 80,000 / NEW
[Week 35, 2015] 01 (NE) GEARS OF WAR: ULTIMATE EDITION (MICROSOFT) ~ 40,000 / NEW

Gears 4 < 105,000

Bruno MB

The problem for Gears of War 4 is that this week we have Battlefield 1 and the following week Titanfall 2 so tough competition.

I'm very curious to see how Titanfall 2 will perform, it is basically a new IP for PlayStation 4 owners and also it will be interesting to see the player retention it has on Xbox One. The first title debuted at 125,000 units which was huge.

It was always a bit weird to hear people say that they thought Gears would be bigger than Halo this gen. Turns out it couldn't even outdo the weaker Halo franchise. Got to be sending alarm bells ringing at MS that.

Mpl90

Mmh...yeah, more hints on DQB would be good. If it's around 4,000-5,000, that's certainly more than what I was expecting. If it's quite a bit more, then it would be a relative "Woah" compared to the expectations from most of us here, at least in UK (still maintaning that trying to extrapolate the game's overall sales from just one country is premature, given the different tastes for different European countries, and even between US and UK)

c0de

It was always a bit weird to hear people say that they thought Gears would be bigger than Halo this gen. Turns out it couldn't even outdo the weaker Halo franchise. Got to be sending alarm bells ringing at MS that.

Gears was always below Halo. And although Halo isn't what it once was, it's still selling a lot of copies many games can't dream of.

Kyonashi

Could you tell us which of three DQ games, Heroes, VII or builders, did the best for opening week?

DQB>DQH>DQVII

Mmh...yeah, more hints on DQB would be good. If it's around 4,000-5,000, that's certainly more than what I was expecting. If it's quite a bit more, then it would be a relative "Woah" compared to the expectations from most of us here, at least in UK (still maintaning that trying to extrapolate the game's overall sales from just one country is premature, given the different tastes for different European countries, and even between US and UK)

If I've learnt anything from over a year of reading these threads, almost all of you overestimate game sales rather than underestimating them.

Chobel

So the last year answer to the universe, how far is it from the ultimate answer this time? :p

Just as a general showing for VR in the charts, I think it'll be very front-loaded. PSVR is the best shot that tech has at becoming mainstream, yet we know how good Sony is at 'supporting' their peripherals (EyeToy, Move). I'm worried that this might be the best it gets. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Yeah I don't expect much from software charting either.
Hopefully we see the quality VR games down the road popping up in the top 20-30 charts from time to time, at least showing owners are interested in new software.

I also hope Sony are committed to the device unlike Move, that's why I'm waiting for 6-12 months before joining in.

do we have a list on how much past entries of gears sold at their first week?

How does Gears 4 compare to the previous games ?

Hmm I believe Gears 3 came in at 300k if I remember correctly from an old PAL thread.
Tried searching around Gaf for official numbers and all I got was that launch was between 291k and 345k.

A far cry from where the series is now in any case after being a week one seller beast.

Originally Posted by BKK

UK Week one Individual Format Fastest Sellers (90%)

01. [360] Call of Duty: Black Ops - 990,000
02. [360] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - 914,000
03. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops - 756,000
04. [PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - 641,000
05. [PS2] Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas- 609,000
06. [360] Grand Theft Auto IV - 463,000
07. [360] Halo: Reach - 389,000
08. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto IV - 372,000
09. [360] Halo 3 - 370,000
10. [360] FIFA 11 - 367,000
11. [PS3] FIFA 11 - 345,000
12. [360] Gears of War 3 - ???
13. [360] FIFA 10 - 291,000

Edit: Ahhh thanks to Guymelef for posting comprehensive numbers above!

Welfare

I guess one win Gears 4 has is that it most likely outsold Judgement. Thought that was ~100k but it isn't.

If I've learnt anything from over a year of reading these threads, almost all of you overestimate game sales rather than underestimating them.
Damn.

Mpl90

DQB>DQH>DQVII

...I don't know if I should take it as < 4,000 - 5,000 or not XD

Match the first game, not the worst first week, not including digital, it's alright I guess.

Nothing about that is alright compare to gears 3 .
I guess if you use GearJ as baseline it alright .
Also remember 105k is the highest number who knows how much lower it is .

Who'd develop it, tho? All first parties are chained to their respective franchise and not one single 3rd party collaboration had worked out so far.

They need to find another good partner like Epic Games to make something for them. With there being very few developers of that size independent any more I don't know who, but like you say, I don't think they have any room for that in their first party slate. Maybe they could commission Platinum for an action game once Scalebound is done with.

Instead of one big release with lots of fanfare, it had two 'eh' releases where it got overshadowed by something else. That's one game whose sales have been properly scuppered as a result.

Makes you wonder how the inevitable third installment is going to fare now.

I think the most likely thing is that Squeenix will release on everything at the same time, but team up with Sony for the marketing.

PsVr chart invasion.I expected Gears to chart at 1,be interesting to see if it's got any legs

Gears is #1 in the single-format charts. But combined FIFA outsold it.

Still gob smacked at Gears despite keeping expectations in check. It can't be seen by anything but a disappointment at MS.

Be interesting to see US numbers for it. But they can't be good going off these. Yikes!

I expect it will do better in the US, but I doubt it will do notable numbers anywhere outside of these two territories.

Way worse.

Gears 4 < 105,000

Code:

[Week 46, 2006] 01 (NE) GEARS OF WAR (MICROSOFT) ~ 100,000 / NEW
[Week 45, 2008] 01 (NE) GEARS OF WAR 2 (MICROSOFT) ~ 220,000 / NEW
[Week 38, 2011] 01 (NE) GEARS OF WAR 3 (MICROSOFT) - 323,000 / NEW
[Week 12, 2013] 01 (NE) GEARS OF WAR: JUDGEMENT (MICROSOFT) ~ 80,000 / NEW
[Week 35, 2015] 01 (NE) GEARS OF WAR: ULTIMATE EDITION (MICROSOFT) ~ 40,000 / NEW

Oof. I know the Xbone isn't the dominant force that the 360 was, but barely matching the sales of Gears 1 at retail seems like a very poor performance.

Rymuth

Let's not kid ourselves:

This is a bad result.
I think he's memeing.

Though, I do wonder if a spin like 'The Coalition's first outing is in line with Epic's first entry. At this rate, we'll be getting Gears 3 numbers for Gears 6' is in the works.

Guymelef

First week:

UNCHARTED 3: DRAKE'S DECEPTION (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 115,000
UNCHARTED: THE NATHAN DRAKE COLLECTION (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 39,000
UNCHARTED 4: A THIEF'S END (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 192,000

GEARS OF WAR 3 (MICROSOFT) - 323,000
GEARS OF WAR: ULTIMATE EDITION (MICROSOFT) - 40,000
GEARS OF WAR 4 - <105,000

Dropping to original Gears levels and in the ballpark of Judgement is a massive fall from grace. Selling less than a third of the last main entry for an established big franchise is just eye opening.

I think the most likely thing is that Squeenix will release on everything at the same time, but team up with Sony for the marketing.

No chance they'll team up with Sony for the marketing. Microsoft want to claim that franchise as their own now, and Sony has Uncharted anyway. Agreed, the third game will release on all platforms at the same time (Spencer won't want to go through all that negative publicity again), but it'll still be announced at Microsoft's E3 presser.

wapplew

They need to find another good partner like Epic Games to make something for them. With there being very few developers of that size independent any more I don't know who, but like you say, I don't think they have any room for that in their first party slate. Maybe they could commission Platinum for an action game once Scalebound is done with.

Or follow Forza formula, make spin-off, share assets, shorten development cycle, lower the cost, if one game can't reach sales target, make two.
Halo, Gears, every year instead of every 3 years.

On subject of IP's, I'm really wondering if MS has any new IP's underway we just don't know about. There isn't much we know what comes after Sea of thieves, Scalebound and possibly Crackdown. I mean will they have any big games lined up for Scorpio launch?

Theorry

On subject of IP's, I'm really wondering if MS has any new IP's underway we just don't know about. There isn't much we know what comes after Sea of thieves, Scalebound and possibly Crackdown. I mean will they have any big games lined up for Scorpio launch?

Forza. But no new IP.

Top Bottom