• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will UK gaming prices go up?

It's pretty much inevitable as we continue treating our own currency as if it's a pig near David Cameron.

I do not look forward to switch pricing announcements.

AHA-Lambda

I would definitely predict higher DLC prices at least.

Nor will we see AAA games launch below £50 pretty much again, whereas at least as gens matured in past they got down to bout £40

But yeah I think after someone like ATVI rises price to say £55, others will follow

Jezbollah

I dont think the prices will go up - I just expect them to stay at their original RRP for a lot longer.

I suspect that publishers will swallow a little of the margin to ensure consumers pay what theyre normally used to, given that were into Christmas season. The last thing they would want to do is to get everyone buying games overseas or resorting to piracy.

LewieP

Already have. Nintendo have adopted £1 = $1 for Picross 3d 2, which they never usually do.

RRP won't change for software, but generous discounts will lesson.

New console prices will take into account inflation/exchange rates.

The Xbox One and PS4 won't increase in price, but they won't come down for a long while now.

The PS4 Pro will actually be the most interesting. Price announced, but the currency has crashed since then. Will Sony risk the ire of UK consumers by upping the price, or potentially eat a loss on every PS4 Pro sold in the country?

Nor will we see AAA games launch below £50 pretty much again, whereas at least as gens matured in past they got down to bout £40

But yeah I think after someone like ATVI rises price to say £55, others will follow

Yep, I can see £50-55 becoming the new norm, and bigger games getting away with £60.

Prices are going up before we've even started the Brexit process. It might take two years before we see how badly we've screwed our currency up, but between now and then it's likely to drop even further in value as Brexit becomes more and more likely.

MoogPaul

Everything is going to get more expensive and the purchasing power compared to other currencies is the lowest i've seen in my life time (unless you count that time in feb 1985 for like a month). So yeah. Have fun with that.

Coxy100

Banned
Yep, I can see £50-55 becoming the new norm, and bigger games getting away with £60.

Prices are going up before we've even started the Brexit process. It might take two years before we see how badly we've screwed our currency up, but between now and then it's likely to drop even further in value as Brexit becomes more and more likely.
Can't see that happening myself. We're all so used to paying less - sales will slump if they go up that much.

Can't see that happening myself. We're all so used to paying less - sales will slump if they go up that much.

Sales will slump regardless.

Young people have less disposable income than before, as real wages have stagnated for a decade now.. We won't be getting pay rises, so the entertainment budget will be eaten into by rising food and housing costs.

It's a shit sandwich, and we've made it ourselves.

fred

Game prices will probably go up after Christmas but even before I got my Rift 6 days ago I had pretty much entirely shifted to PC gaming anyway...which means that thanks to Steam and Oculus sales I'm getting my games at reasonable prices anyway even if the prices skyrocket lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
HTC Vive went up by £100 soon after the brexit vote.

Software should be less impacted - its not real manufactured goods so if desired, the publishers can absorb some of that 'loss' to maintain an RRP.

I am surprised PS4 pro didn't go up in price - isn't the price the same as the PS4 launch?

This is why you create a US account.

aKgB3NY.jpg

Canadian prices have gone up a little the last year, i'd imagine UK prices will too. We're at $69.99 for a year of PS+ and $79.99 for new release titles. I know its not a huge hike, but its just pushed me over for stopping my + sub and buying new release titles.

madmackem

HTC Vive went up by £100 soon after the brexit vote.

Software should be less impacted - its not real manufactured goods so if desired, the publishers can absorb some of that 'loss' to maintain an RRP.

I am surprised PS4 pro didn't go up in price - isn't the price the same as the PS4 launch?
We haven't left yet, granted our pound isnt as strong as it's been but those changing prices already are chancing thier luck imho as nothing has changed as of yet. Now when we do finally leave and if we lose the single market plus points then we will see everything across the board going up.

Chris1

Activision already charge £55 for their games and have done so since the start of this gen. Any price increase would put it to like £70 or something, meaning retail will sell it for about £60 or so.

CrazyHorse

Activision already charge £55 for their games and have done so since the start of this gen. Any price increase would put it to like £70 or something, meaning retail will sell it for about £60 or so.

It's like going back to the 90s. I remember when Virtua Racing on Megadrive as £69.99. And SNES games regularly cost £50-60.

LewieP

No. You've been able to buy all Activision games for less than £55.

Their (rather meaningless) RRP has always been around the £55 mark, but lots of retailers discount lower than that to compete on price.

As currency fluctuations erode the margin for retailers, this competition on price will lessen.

Chris1

No. You've been able to buy all Activision games for less than £55.

Their (rather meaningless) RRP has always been around the £55 mark, but lots of retailers discount lower than that to compete on price.

As currency fluctuations erode the margin for retailers, this competition on price will lessen.

That doesn't change Activision charging £55 though.

It's supermarkets taking a loss. Activision can't stop them from doing that. For it to be £55 retail it'd need to go up to like £70 digital/at GAME. Unless supermarkets etc stop taking a loss aswell, but I can't see that happening.

Frostman

I'll be against the majority here, but I don't see the prices going up for a while yet. Maybe early 2018, and not by much. You will still find good prices for games if you shop around.

Unless of course you like buying of the UK PSN, which in that case you have always been fucked.

Popsickles

While we are still at the mercy of Europe probably, we will not start the leave untill March next year and could take a year or more to actually leave. Until this our trade deals are still going via the EU and you can be sure those Euro bureaucrats will hike every price they can. When we are finally free it is down to the UK to strike deals directly with other countries without paying the Euro premium also the pound will have recovered and stabilized and you can be sure we will have a stronger barganing position.

wishdom

It most certainly will, same thing happened here in Canada 2 years ago.
Which made me stop buying new (80-90$ with taxes).

While we are still at the mercy of Europe probably, we will not start the leave untill March next year and could take a year or more to actually leave. Until this our trade deals are still going via the EU and you can be sure those Euro bureaucrats will hike every price they can. When we are finally free it is down to the UK to strike deals directly with other countries without paying the Euro premium also the pound will have recovered and stabilized and you can be sure we will have a stronger barganing position.

I'm not really a politics person but...based on what? What do we even have to bargain with? We have literally nothing any other countries want. Our export is bare minimum.

I feel for people like you in the coming years, it hasn't sunk in yet.

It most certainly will, same thing happened here in Canada 2 years ago.
Which made me stop buying new (80-90$ with taxes).

This. Publishers will not hesitate to raise their prices if you're currency is in decline. $20 bump for standard retail games in two years is crazy.

Kathian

Banned
Making me worry about the Switch price. Remaining consoles will likely remain the same bit unlikely to drop as quickly.

Remember Sony and Nintendo have taken hits on the Yen rather than change prices. Pound is different though as it's expected to remain low.

EvB

I feel for people like you in the coming years, it hasn't sunk in yet.

Don't push him too hard or he'll fall back on the old "I'm not in it for th short term, I'm thinking about 30 years from now"

30 years of shit has gotta be worth it right?...

I think the real problem is that wages have stagnated for so long.

People are not making what they really should be due to wages increasing at a rate less than inflation, when really, they need to be increasing at a rate equal to inflation at an absolute minimum, ideally, a good few percent above it.

So, what is the issue?

Ultimately corporate greed chasing YoY profit increases, doing so by reducing wage increases or wages themselves, eroding employee T&C's, thus reducing disposable income of people, which also has the effect of eating into corporate profits due to less people having adequate purchasing power.

The whole system will eventually totally, completely collapse unless something is done to change the route that we are going down in regards to corporate greed.

Ideally if wages increased considerably, people would have increased disposable income, which would allow them to have greater purchasing power, which in turn would feed to corporate need to YoY profits.

Top Bottom