• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The influx of moderates telling us to tolerate sexism, xenophobia, and racism all day

Status
Not open for further replies.

sflufan

Banned
Yes, this will do absolute wonders to get back the 6 million votes that Obama got in 2012 that Clinton did NOT get in 2016.

By the way, these votes did NOT go to Trump - these people stayed at home.

black_13

Banned
And that's the main problem right there. Labeling anyone who was not a fan of Clinton a racist won't get you elected.

devilhawk

I'm hoping the left learns that when you call a spade a spade that spade doesn't vote for you. Take the moral high ground all you want, but it doesn't win you elections.
This is a topic in the rural thread too.

We had just had the Brexit vote. There were numerous long think-pieces that articulated all of this. Then Hillary went and did it anyways. Hillary won social media that day, had the moral high ground, and was absolutely correct in her statements. Within a week or so Hillary's message and its depth had disappeared.

53% of white woman voted for Trump according to a CNN Exit Poll, Trump won the white male vote 63%. For the record, Trump's figures for blacks, Hispanics and Asian-Americans was 8%, 29% and 29% respectively.

Trump won a higher percentage of the Black, Hispanic, and Asian-American voters than Romney did. Minorities were more supportive of an outright bigot than a dog whistling one. That should tell you something.

cr0w

Old Member
Democrats put up a shit candidate and then didn't bother to show up to vote, in fact they turned out in even less numbers than they did in 2012. They could have put a pine cone up there and it would have done better against Trump.

But hey, let's post on a message board and have day-long circular conversations with the same five people, that'll really do a lot of good.

Yup. Fuck this whole "let's just be nice to the deplorables and maybe they'll come around with kindness" bullshit. We've been trying this since the Civil Rights Act was signed. It's gotten us a KKK President.

2. Try to understand people different from you, you don't even have to agree.

Done. I understand that they really, really hate Mexicans and Muslims. Don't agree with them.

darkace

Banned
Why do minorities need to teach dumb-fuck, racist white people to not be dumb fucking racists?

'Why do we lose the election when we call everyone that disagrees with us even partially racist and dumb?'

The left doesn't have a monopoly on morality and truth. Get off your high horse and realise that the world is a complex place.

This is the one thing that sets me off more than anything else, to the point where I immaculately lose respect for someone who tries to pull this shit. It honestly bothers me more than the blatant racists.

suzu

How do you convince most Trump voters to listen when they kinda don't give a shit about you in the first place?

Macam

Banned
Yes, they are.

Yes, you did. You're telling minorities to "understand" the bigots.

We already understand them. They hate minorities.

We understand the Republicans have disenfranchised them, and they continue to vote Republican. We already know all of these things.

Already called my Congress critters and encouraged them to not back down.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
No one said anything about teaching racists. If you can't be bothered to listen to people who think differently than you then there's nothing to say.
Why should I listen to people calling me a nigger again? Or wanting to kick Muslims out? Or shooting people who look like me on a daily basis? Or voting against my rights? Or voting against the rights of women and LBGT? Do you not realize that it absolutely is not a matter of "think differently hurr durr," you're desperately trying to normalize that mindset as "just a different opinion man." So I ask you this, what's your race?

To have power to implement policies to make the lives of minorities better off you need to find common cause with people that want to hurt them.

And that's a really big problem. What common ground can be found between a gay person and someone who thinks they shouldn't be able to marry? What common ground can be found between a trans person and someone who thinks they shouldn't be able to use the right bathroom?

In those cases, what compromise is there that would make both sides happy?

Yes, they are.
Not everyone saying it. I've made arguments today about how not every Trump supporter voted for Trump because of racially based opinions. The idea that it's impossible to vote for Trump and not do so because of his platform on minorites is childish and simple minded.
if they voted trump they kind of supported those things though
By this logic if you voted for Obama than you support sending drones to bomb foreign countries. You don't have to support every single thing a candidate says when you vote for him.

Squalor

Because they want to win elections?
That's not how that works. There isn't an answer.

They can win elections without racist voters. Clinton won the popular vote. She lost the EC in places that had sever voter suppression this year. The Republicans are gross, and the people who support them are complicit in that.

You guys are entirely lacking in introspection, you're out of touch with working Americans, and you don't understand the conditions that allow demagoguery to take hold. You feel that you can accomplish your ends by nagging and haranguing people in a tone deaf manner instead of listening to what they have to say. And I think invoking MLK in the face of the defeat of a Democratic candidate is disgraceful, as it's been plain to see that black Americans have been suffering as much under Obama as anybody.

God when I read a MLK quote I hear it in his voice. It resonates in my body and soul. His pauses. His inflections.

I'm tired of the white moderate.

Squalor

'Why do we lose the election when we call everyone that disagrees with us even partially racist and dumb?'

The left doesn't have a monopoly on morality and truth. Get off your high horse and realise that the world is a complex place.
Ah, so racism and sexism and xenophobia are just opinions, right?

No, I'm not on a high horse. You're on a low horse and proud about it.

Nipo

Why is it the responsibility of minorities to sacrifice effort to teach the rest our viewpoints? Why can't the majority take interest in our point of view?

Because the majority is happy with the outcome. If you want that to change you need to show them a better way.

faisal233

Why is it the responsibility of minorities to sacrifice effort to teach the rest our viewpoints? Why can't the majority take interest in our point of view?
Why isn't the world perfect.

Do you want to be right or so you want to win elections.

I want to win elections.

Mesousa

Banned

Because the minorities need the majority to take an invested interest in them much more than the Majority need the minorities to take an invested interest in them.

You guys are entirely lacking in introspection, you're out of touch with working Americans, and you don't understand the conditions that allow demagoguery to take hold. You feel that you can accomplish your ends by nagging and haranguing people in a tone deaf manner instead of listening to what they have to say. And I think invoking MLK in the face of the defeat of a Democratic candidate is disgraceful, as it's been plain to see that black Americans have been suffering as much under Obama as anybody.
That MLK quote is directly applicable to what's going on in your very post though. MLK would hate you as a person dude.

I DO NOT support this man who has campaigned on making life harder for you, socially and otherwise.

All I did was vote him into presidential office with the most powerful government in 100 years.

Maybe you can stop making this about race (something that doesn't affect me) and start talking about the REAL issues?

Precisely!

Black people suffered too.

At least now they have a racist president who plans to make a former racist rep mayor who championed stop and frisk the attorney general?

What do black people have to lose anyway?

Right?

Stop your whining guys.

Libs will never learn why they lost if they continue to label anyone who doesn't tow the line as sexist/racist/bigoted/etc.

The GOP controls more of America than they have in generation. The SCOTUS will now lean 5-4 conservative. And this is directly after a relatively popular Dem president's two terms.

It's time to try a new strategy. I don't know what that strategy is, but it's obvious that blanket labeling of the opposition isn't doing Dems any favors.
Hey if you don't want to be labeled don't vote for a candidate that is. You can't cherry pick an issue, if you vote for them you get the whole package.

Squalor

Not everyone saying it. I've made arguments today about how not every Trump supporter voted for Trump because of racially based opinions. The idea that it's impossible to vote for Trump and not do so because of his platform on minorites is childish and simple minded.
You can't vote for a bigot and say "I don't support his bigotry."

You do. You voted for it.

GamerJM

Banned
My issue isn't with women, LGBT, or minorities who are expressing their hatred of conservative politics, but rather with progressive white men who look down on sexism and racism coming from the working class whites and yet don't do anything to engage with it. I'm including myself in this group btw.

I agree with the OP by the way, I just don't think I've voiced the above on here yet because I couldn't really find a place to say it.

I've already posted this but...

For whatever personal reason the republican voters had to make their choice, they were more than willing to throw a significant portion of the population into the mud to do so. Is that really a sign of outreach, of trying to understand, one of even tolerance?

darkace

Banned
And that's a really big problem. What common ground can be found between a gay person and someone who thinks they shouldn't be able to marry? What common ground can be found between a trans person and someone who thinks they shouldn't be able to use the right bathroom?

In those cases, what compromise is there that would make both sides happy?

You don't run on those issues. You find common cause fighting problems brought about by technological automation, globalisation and a changing economy. That's what is driving this anger.

When it comes to voting the economy is the central focus point. The fact that Hillary lost with one of the best performing economies the US has seen is just abysmal. She focused way too hard on fringe issues (lets call everyone deplorables) rather than sending a message as an inheritor of Obama's economic legacy.

Ah, so racism and sexism and xenophobia are just opinions, right?

No, I'm not on a high horse. You're on a low horse and proud about it.

At this point I have to think you're wilfully obtuse. These people don't vote for you precisely because of this bullshit. This smug paternalistic moral high-horse bullshit. Your high-horse doesn't win you elections. I don't give a shit what you think about these people. They do, and they're willing to fuck alot of people over to tell you to fuck off.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
That MLK quote is directly applicable to what's going on in your very post though. MLK would hate you as a person dude.
Moderates in action.
I DO NOT support this man who has campaigned on making life harder for you, socially and otherwise.

All I did was vote him into presidential office with the most powerful government in 100 years.

Maybe you can stop making this about race (something that doesn't affect me) and start talking about the REAL issues?
Poe's law. Really need a /s

MLK would look at you in disgust.

Ivan 3414

I don't blame anyone for hating Trump supporters, but condemning Trump supporters won't win elections.

Yep, if Dems hold the same attitude towards Trump supporters that people like Squalor have we're going to end up with Trump, again for 2020.

Stop demonizing Trump supporters. It clearly has not worked in your favor.

Hey if you don't want to be labeled don't vote for a candidate that is. You can't cherry pick an issue, if you vote for them you get the whole package.
Label them what you want. It's those kinds of generalizations that drive uncertain people from voting for the candidate that people like that support.

Squalor

Yep, if Dems hold the same attitude towards Trump supporters that people like Squalor have we're going to end up with Trump, again for 2020.

Stop demonizing Trump supporters. It clearly has not worked in your favor.
Stop defending bigotry.

You're on the wrong side of history.

As I already said, Democrats don't need racists to vote for them. Racists and Sexists and people like you who defend them can fuck off.

Ponn

Banned
Why do minorities need to teach dumb-fuck, racist white people to not be dumb fucking racists?

You don't have an answer. I know you don't. You don't have an answer because there isn't one.

Who is asking minorities to do anything in this case that is presented in the OP? I'm confused how some of you are connecting these dots. If we are talking about how blue collar voters flipped MI and Wisconsin and cost Hillary the election that was on Hillary for not appealing to their needs for fixing the damn mess in those places. Have you fucking seen Flint? Detroit? How is appealing to their pressing matters of jobs and drinking water appealing to racists?

hey education is all good man really but it takes real time, something that minorities don't have. its all good to preach about education and unity but thats easy for you to say when you won't be affected by his rhetoric for four years, there are people of colour that will definitely be affected by his racism in four years.

You can't vote for a bigot and say "I don't support his bigotry."

You do. You voted for it.
One. No I didn't. I voted for Hillary. I'm just not so simple minded that I only see things in extremely literal terms. The idea that you support 100% of the shit a candidate says when you vote for him is insane. If that were the case, I would probably literally never vote for anyone.

And like I mentioned before, by your logic here, if you voted for Obama, you support drone strikes on foreign countries that have killed many innocent people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom