• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The influx of moderates telling us to tolerate sexism, xenophobia, and racism all day

Status
Not open for further replies.
And it was very competitive, but why did DNC go with such garbage candidate if that was the case?

I'm not blaming any voter. I'm putting the sole blame on the DNC and their terrible political strategy.

Okay, provide a better candidate. Because Hillary was a long standing public worker, working closely with two presidents, with the experience only being a secretary of state could offer. Her major point of derision was the email scandal, with was fucking nothing in the end, but a narrative played incessantly in the media.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Slapped this together real quick:

NRLDC0V.png

0fOqWX7.png

grCgWpy.png

MmMDWud.png

Basically, from my POV, Hillary lost rural white america at multiple key spots. I'm not going to say they're all bigots or racists but I would imagine many of them would not have, ah, gotten along on GAF, and yet they voted for Obama, and I doubt it's because they were suddenly enlightened as to the validity of social issues in America.

It's been a while, but from what I remember of Obama's campaign he generally wasn't very antagonistic. '08 was "Hope" and "Change". '12 was "Forward". Many Democrats actually hated his lack of bite, if I recall correctly. He wasn't dropping the hot takes like everyone wanted but this, in retrospect, turned out to be a winning strategy. There was no talk of deplorables, or the demonization of cis white men. Or rather, at the time, it hadn't affected the electorate. All that changed in 2016.

This is what I mean when I said:
Because the spades can fuck your shit up even worse if they get pushed past their limit.
Which is what happened over the course of the last... two years? We reached a tipping point. America look like it was slipping more and more from the hands of whites, and this was scary, and here comes Trump to reassure them that they can get it back. No wonder they could look past his, admittedly, numerous flaws to deliver him the presidency.

entremet

Cause she won the primary and is a highly qualified candidate.

She's also just really unlikable. A quality that shouldn't fucking matter when she's clearly a born leader ready to get shit done, but American Liberals are fickle fucks.

Okay, but who's fault is this? Trump didn't even get loser Romney's turnout. She failed to get the vote out, she stop campaigning publicly for weeks at a time, and she didn't offer a compelling vision.

Okay, provide a better candidate. Because Hillary was a long standing public worker, working closely with two presidents, with the experience only being a secretary of state could offer. Her major point of derision was the email scandal, with was fucking nothing in the end, but a narrative played incessantly in the media.

Bernie? And that was far from her major point of derision. People haven't forgotten Benghazi, and whether you blame her for it or not, plenty of people associate her with it, and that just increases the dislike of her by the public.

A lot of people have been calling upon some other group to teach the supporters of Trump so as to not continue to vote for candidates like that, and not to tolerate racism. All of the people who supported Trump are not necessarily 'racist' in the traditional sense, but they are keen on putting their own self interests above the rights and good standing of minorities.

Empathy isn't learned, and more traditional racism is more built in from early years. So the question I have is how do we go about 'fixing' these people?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Suggesting "compromise" suggests that the democratic party hasn't been doing that for the last 50+ years since the parties switched. On the world stage the democratic party is pretty right winged and that's exactly because they compromise. Anyone suggesting that the democratic party hasn't compromised to appeal to these people are inherently suggesting that this same party has only been about appealing to minorities at the expense of rural America, and that is just completely not true. The democratic party has basically always been seen by any and everyone as the party of compromise and "reaching across the isle" so I take offense with people who state that the democratic party doesn't do that, and that minorities within that party need to compromise with rural America, when minorities entire life in this country has always been one about compromising.
You seem to have a good grasp on the situation and I agree with your assessment entirely. However, we seem to be coming to different conclusions. People like me are not asking for compromise. Compromise is saying, "you guys can be half racist, and we'll tolerate it." We're asking for liberals to stop the demonization of these people. You recognize that the folks in the rust belt are downtrodden and have legitimate problems. How do we solve those problems? I don't know, I'm not an economist or a politician. What I can do as a private citizen is lend an ear and share some heart with these people. They are hurting and labeling them as bigots is not helping.

Phased

Did you even read what I wrote? I don't think you did.
Give it one more go.

The sarcasm isn't needed. I read what you wrote. Did you read what I wrote?

I haven't seen anybody asking you to tolerate them. I haven't seen anybody asking you to extend an olive branch. I haven't seen anybody asking you to reeducate them. Assume these people are hopeless and move on.

What I HAVE seen, is people saying the issue is more complex than just "this is all the racists fault". These people are immediately labeled as moderates and shunned. We're all (I assume) in the same party and we all (I assume) voted for Clinton. We're on the same side here.

We need to look at why she lost, instead of focusing on the people who voted for him. Turnout was low all around, if she was even a little bit more appealing, or even a little bit more exciting of a candidate than we may not be having this conversation right now.

Breads

Banned
Oh fuck off with your boogeyman bullshit. I see motherfuckers almost every damn day in the OT who shit on white people all day and all night long and nothing comes of it but God forbid people don't kowtow to the Liberal echo chamber on these forums, they get banned by Bishoptl with a quickness. Let's be honest here, the mods and one in particular are quite okay with racism towards white people on these forums unless people complain heavily about it. The OT has literally turned into a one sided discussion about how white people are the blame for all of societies problems and i blame Evilore for letting it happen.

Didn't even wait until the 30th post to bust out the alt account suicide post. Well done.

Because they're not all racists. You can mock the #NotAll____ moniker all you want, but it's the truth.

• There are people in rural America legitimately left behind by technological advances and the new generation running off to the big cities. This doesn't make them racist.
  • There are well-meaning religious folk that believe in the sanctity of life. This doesn't make them woman-haters.
  • There are uninformed people who genuinely believe Hillary is as corrupt as they get. You can blame the media on this.

Labeling every Trump voter as such is doing to them exactly what racists actually do. You can support filibustering the Republican Congress. You can support protesting Trump's cabinet. Those people are irredeemable. But don't ignore the legitimate grievances of legitimate people. Especially do not paint them all with the broad brush that you yourself despise.

100000% this. There mere fact that we polarized and classified ALL Republicans as "racists" "misogynist" and "bigots" has resulted in this situation. I know Republicans who voted Republicans b/c of their political ideologies that have merit.

Bernie? And that was far from her major point of derision. People haven't forgotten Benghazi, and whether you blame her for it or not, plenty of people associate her with it, and that just increases the dislike of her by the public.

Benghazi got dropped early enough. And most people probably don't even know Clinton's true involvement in that tragedy. And like I posted before, 'Bernie math' doesn't equate in real life.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
And it was very competitive, but why did DNC go with such garbage candidate if that was the case?

I'm not blaming any voter. I'm putting the sole blame on the DNC and their terrible political strategy.
It sucks. We shouldn't be tabling racism. We need to NOT do exactly that. But in the end it has nothing to do with this election. The people who voted for Trump, as exit polling is showing, are the same ones who would have voted for Cruz, Rubio, etc. we like to believe that they "came out for Trump", but the CLEAR fact seems to be turning out that these people have always been there, always voting... and the polls have just always ignored them or marginalized them. Racism was the language of his campaign but it wasn't his propulsion across the finish line. Solid steady turnout by a reliable voter base, in contrast to a record low "NOT with her" turn out for a candidate whom the DNC royalty felt it was her turn to sit at the throne.

Let's keep talking about and fighting against racism, but also recognize it as nearly zero impact in why this shit show was lost. Especially considering... that those same people will be voting for the next non-Trump republican where we won't have the luxury of attributing blatant racism to the big Dem L.

Ascenion

Minority Moderate conservative chiming in here. I didn't vote for Trump. I didn't want to be labeled a racist, or a bigot, or a traitor by my own community. Not to mention contrary to some beliefs Trump is not what the GOP wanted. A lot of us are just as pissed as the dems are. Point being this big ass L is nationwide. The GOP is in shambles we didn't want this, but it's our fault. We let our party become the joke it now is simply for power. We wanted the senate and the house but I'm not sure if anyone truly believed We'd get the White House too. This is me apologizing. I'm sorry I didn't take Trump seriously before it was too late. I'm sorry that we weren't strong enough or together enough as a party to find other ways to get what we wanted. This is on us and I'm gonna hope that we do everything in our power to keep that phoney in control.

As a minority it is my duty I think to tell people that don't want me to live my life why I deserve to and why they are wrong even if they won't listen so I can say I tried. However it isn't just on me, it's on every person that oppposes these viewpoints (racist, sexist, xenophobic, etc) to make their voice heard. The more voices the better.

But overall there is no point in shifting blame or pointing fingers this is everyone's fault. Republicans let this shit happen we need to own it. Dems disrespected all Trump supporters by labeling them as pretty much everything bad you can be without seeing that supporting any candidate brings compromises and couldn't motivate your party to vote for your candidate. Third party voters....you guys damn...Jill Stein supposedly got 1.2 million votes or some shit such as that with Johnson getting 4 million....why? That's 5 million votes not counting fucking Harambe write ins effectively thrown away. This isn't a game. Those votes could've been the difference. And finally a big fat L for people that just plain didn't vote. You know what you did or rather didn't do. This is on you too.

Bronx-Man

Banned
"Saying 50 million Americans are racist is insane!"

I envy you.

Honest to god, I envy you.

I want your life.

I want to know what's like spending an entire lifetime not even having to think about things like this. To not have to think about how the country was literally founded on slavery and white supremacy. To just believe that shit went hunky-dory after MLK became civil rights jesus.

Honest to god, I want to have a life like that.

marrec

Banned
Okay, but who's fault is this? Trump didn't even get loser Romney's turnout. She failed to get the vote out, she stop campaigning publicly for weeks at a time, and she didn't offer a compelling vision.

Honestly?

We had 8 years of Obama and under Obama not everyone prospered. They wanted change from the status quo and no matter who was put up to battle against Trump they probably would have floundered as much, if not more.

Hillary promised progress on Obama's legacy, and Trump promised blowing it all up and starting over. Her vision was compelling to me, but I ain't who she needed to convince.

I envy you.

I want your life.

I want to know what's like spending an entire lifetime not even having to think about things like this. To not have to think about how the country was literally founded on slavery and white supremacy. To just believe that shit went hunky-dory after MLK became civil rights jesus.

I remember when I thought police didn't need systemic reform and just needed to get rid of the bad apples

;_;

THEY DIDNT VOTE. PERIOD.

Worry about the racists after we can GOTV.

The people who didn't vote are OK with a human piece of shit like Trump being elected President. They're as bad as the racists and can also all go fuck themselves.

This talk of not energising the dam voters is deflecting from the fact that the world still has a huge racism problem, no matter how hard we've tried to hide from the truth. You need the democrat campaign to come to your home town to tell you that a Trump presidency might be a bad idea? Don't give me that bullshit.

PixelatedBookake

Don't like how minorities are now expected to be tolerant of people who chose the same side as the KKK and Neo-Nazis. Like, all of you supported a man like Donald Trump who has spouted so much rhetoric about getting rid of immigrants to make America great again? When my parents were first generation Nigerian immigrants? Go fuck off with all that. He may be my President but I'll never respect that bullshit.

My co-worker is an open racist. I have to explain politically correct point of views so that he understands. He won't fully change hating black people and mexicans for personal reasons. I have family who are racist, bigots, sexist, xenophobic ppl. Hearing their opinions like for example: "All muslims are bad and sick humans killing innocent christian ppl." "And putting all muslims in america into internment camps."

I deal with this shit. It makes me fucking furious at times. I have to explain things to them why and how fucked up their povs are... do I have to teach them? No. But I do it anyways. You can't change people once they're set on something like Hate until they're put in other ppls positions being effected by it.

Imo, the mods here aren't just saying that you have to completely "Tolerate" it. It's a fucking bullshit compromise. A learning experience on both sides. You don't have to tolerate shit if you don't want to for whatever reason. But I think it's that creating a toxic space in gaf not fully accepting the results becomes ironically a hate and shaming environment towards ppl (in gaf) who voted trump if things get out of control. I'm sure Mods don't want to tell ppl to tolerate it and deal with it, but like I said, it's bs "Compromise".

I envy you.

I want your life.

Right?? I said it in the other thread that I'm not hard pressed to think 60 million people are racist. I fully believe that.

Without a doubt we have a huge racism problem in this country, institutional or otherwise. Is it despicable people voted for Trump? It absolutely is.

That's not why he won though. He won because Democrats didn't show up due to what seems like a variety of reasons, not the least of which the candidate we chose.

Then people should argue that. Don't argue liberals were mean to Trump supporters.

You risk losing sight of the forest from the trees if you just write everything off as racists voting against minorities.

This is the sentiment that I find laughable. The candidate built his whole damn platform off racism. It should be a damn default that people look at that and go "no fucking way" but we gotta have a conversation about it. These people aren't all racist (duh), but they have all said that in order to push forth an agenda they are willing to look past racism, xenophobia, sexism. That is not a respectable position. If you want people to swallow their pride and say "fine we have no choice" say that. But don't defend these people in any way shape or form because what they are doing is not fucking worthy of defense.

A whole host of issues contributed to this (low turnout) win for Trump. Let's fix that and work on the Democratic party so we get some exciting people in there again.

If we ran another Obama who is charismatic as fuck and gives rockstar speeches, this election wouldn't have even been close.

Yeah I agree here.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
"She didn't campaign in my state so I'm going to vote for the xenophobic, racist, Islamophobic, race-baiting, lying, cheating sexual predator to be president"

Makes perfect sense.
You completely missed the point.

"I don't like her, she obviously doesn't give a shit about me, so fuck her I'm just not going to vote."

WI didn't magically lean right. The blue just straight up decided to stay home.
The people who didn't vote are OK with a human piece of shit like Trump being elected President. They're as bad as the racists and can also all go fuck themselves.
So now not only go after people who voted for Trump, but let's go after the ones who didn't vote for him also.

I mean you're pissed. I'm guessing a minority. I'm guessing feeling rightfully shit on. I get it. Vent. Etc. I'm 100% behind you. But understanding politics is the first step to changing them. Why people don't vote or why people vote for someone they have major idealogical issues with is fundamental in understanding what the fuck happened this election.

Enzom21

The sarcasm isn't needed. I read what you wrote. Did you read what I wrote?

I haven't seen anybody asking you to tolerate them. I haven't seen anybody asking you to extend an olive branch. I haven't seen anybody asking you to reeducate them. Assume these people are hopeless and move on.

What I HAVE seen, is people saying the issue is more complex than just "this is all the racists fault". These people are immediately labeled as moderates and shunned. We're all (I assume) in the same party and we all (I assume) voted for Clinton. We're on the same side here.

We need to look at why she lost, instead of focusing on the people who voted for him. Turnout was low all around, if she was even a little bit more appealing, or even a little bit more exciting of a candidate than we may not be having this conversation right now.
I haven't seen anybody say you should tolerate racism.
You clearly did not. I didn't write shit about people telling us to tolerate racism.
I gave examples of what white people are telling us what to do.
The only people who need to change white people's minds are other white people.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Anyone saying that shit in the OP can literally go fuck themselves to death. I legit don't care.

faisal233

GOP: -1 million vote
DEM: -6 million vote

She could have been president elect with 200k votes in the rust belt.

Let's worry about whether or not we need to reach out to bigots, instead of worrying about why we didn't have the right message to GOTV.

Remember the famed Clinton GOTV. Trump no GOTV outperformed her.

I envy you.

I want your life.

Really. People a probably patting themselves on their backs, over ventis, for creating a 'post racial society'.

KingV

Have you actually tried to educate people?

In real life, absolutely. I stopped arguing on Facebook after 2012, shit just wasn't worth the anger it put in me.

But I absolutely try to educate in person. Though the only time I can really claim any success is with my parents and gay marriage. Eventually got them to agree it didn't affect them.

100000% this. There mere fact that we polarized and classified ALL Republicans as "racists" "misogynist" and "bigots" has resulted in this situation. I know Republicans who voted Republicans b/c of their political ideologies that have merit.

They're putting their ideologies above the rights and well being of minorities. I'm sorry to have to tell you, but that makes them bigoted.

Maebe

I'm not buying this narrative at all tbh.

Clinton got 6 million less votes than Obama and these aren't people that would feel alienated by the 'deplorables' comment

Trump got 2 million less votes than Romney so it's not like the 'deplorables' comment sparked an extensive mutiny of Repub voters

This was just a case of Dem voter apathy

This is true.

cheezcake

Then how did Trump win? He wasn't likable at all.

Their unfavorability at election time was extremely similar. 60 points for Trump vs 56 for Clinton. But Trump managed to energise a large voting bloc who genuinely like him, Clinton had no such group. The issue there is you can't energise a base by just saying look how bad the other guy is, which corresponds to the depressed voter turnout for democrats.

PixelatedBookake

Right?? I said it in the other thread that I'm not hard pressed to think 60 million people are racist. I fully believe that.

It's so fucking infuriating man. So many people don't want unity? Have KKK ideals been trickled down a rural white American mindset for this long? As a black man, is there nothing I can do to change this? Jeez today has been stressful for me.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Just because these people were blue under Obama doesn't mean they were a hard blue and wouldn't dream of going back to red. This is what people are missing. They got cold feet when they saw the political discourse of 2016.

You can say you don't want flaky allies like them but it's just not productive.

You seem to have a good grasp on the situation and I agree with your assessment entirely. However, we seem to be coming to different conclusions. People like me are not asking for compromise. Compromise is saying, "you guys can be half racist, and we'll tolerate it." We're asking for liberals to stop the demonization of these people. You recognize that the folks in the rust belt are downtrodden and have legitimate problems. How do we solve those problems? I don't know, I'm not an economist or a politician. What I can do as a private citizen is lend an ear and share some heart with these people. They are hurting and labeling them as bigots is not helping.

Considering we have an entire political party who created and still use the Southern Strategy whose entire purpose is demonizing minorities and framing everything as an "us vs them", where local, state, and federal laws and representative are put in place to further entrench this view...this is a weird request.

Doubly so when the other party's policies are basically the last life line of rural America at this point even if they're unaware of it (Once again I confer to statistics that show rural Americans utilize and stay on social welfare programs as long as any other group despite the narrative they don't).

There should never be a fucking middle ground where we have to appeal to bigots. You have to be outta your fucking head to actually believe that minorities should just open their arms out to people who've never given a fuck about them in the first place.

These people deserved to be demonized, their behavior shouldn't be normalized. Just the very suggestion of that in light of all the current hate crimes I've seen popping up here and in rl is infuriating. You'd have to be real ignorant or at least privileged enough to have never felt the brunt of bigotry to really think that calling a spade a spade is a viable political strategy.

We can all recognize that maybe not all Trump supporters are straight up bigots but it doesn't change the fact that they voted for one. The reasons behind it don't fucking matter either, because it's all more than likely rooted in the fact that they gave not one fuck about minorities in the first place. So don't fucking expect me or any other minority to do it either. If these people wanted or even needed sympathy then maybe you white moderates should go out and teach them to do so instead of putting the blame on the people calling out their deplorable behavior.

marrec

Banned
GOP: -1 million vote
DEM: -6 million vote

She could have been president elect with 200k votes in the rust belt.

Let's worry about whether or not we need to reach out to bigots, instead of worrying about why we didn't have the right message to GOTV.

Remember the famed Clinton GOTV. Trump no GOTV outperformed her.

One question that needs answered is how we should feel about apathetic voters in the face of a clearly racist dangerous idiot running on the other side.

In my mind, not voting for Hillary is just as much an acceptance of Trump as voting for Trump is.

Clearly a lot of these people were disenfranchised by the repeal of the voting rights act, but not all 6 million of these people were stopped from voting, surely many of them chose not to vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom