• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seeming surge of hate crimes, assaults, intimidation in wake of Trump victory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clinton's a hawk. Does that make people who voted for her hawks?

You can't paint everyone as a single-issue voter for the single issue of your choice. Or rather, you can, but it's neither accurate nor productive.

People are more concerned with people being labelled racists than the occurrence of actual racism.

Whether or not they themselves are racist is irrelevant. They are enabling a racist. And by doing that, they allow him to embolden the actual racist.

Racism isn't a political difference like someone being a "hawk". It's not an opinion.

BigDes

That guy who got the bottle over his face should have taken the time to educate his assailant.

How week people learn that assaulting people for being gay is wrong unless their victims show some common decency. This is why you elite liberals in your ivory tower lost the election.

Fox Mulder

Us vs them.

I don't want to tolerate, educate, or understand people like this. We have the numbers to send them back under their rocks if we all just vote.

What's the fucking point.

I feel so demoralized. This makes me fly right past anger into a hollow, emptiness. I feel like giving up and it's only day two. These bullies, these racists, they were all vindicated last night.

I know I'll get out of this rut and find the enthusiasm to combat this, but right now I feel helpless. This is sickening. The mid-terms feel so far away, let alone four entire years of a presidency.

You can't paint everyone as a single-issue voter for the single issue of your choice. Or rather, you can, but it's neither accurate nor productive.

Yes.

Just like Trump is fine and willing to use nukes on people who disagree with him (how that's not considered "hawk" behavior baffles me) means that people who support him think the same.

Political parties and representatives are by definition generalizations of those they represent. Hence the word...representative

Known terrorist organizations even congratulated Donald Trump on being elected. How fucking stupid can people in this thread get? This shit is sickening and as a black man im fed the fuck up. It's time for every minority to exercise their 2nd amendment right.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
So since trump is going to be president. Does supporting the president also makes you a racist bigot now?

Yes, but no one is forcing you to. I'm sure he'll be fine without your encouragement considering that he'll have control of all three branches.
You should also consider making a Twitter account and apologizing to some of these people for enabling this.

Been looking up vasectomies stuff today. My gf started sobbing when she read that a friend is considered getting their tubes tied on the chance that if she might get raped she doesn't want to risk being forced to deliver. I mean like this is crazy. People can argue that our thoughts are extremes but these are issues that affect us.

How do you explain to a kid the values of being morally good and caring about others when we as a country just rewarded a man with terrible behavior, the highest seat in the land?

Like, seriously? What is the message in that for edifying a kid?

This is so fucking shameful. I weep for those marginalized groups that will be targeted with violence from Trump supporters.

Fuck your "Economic Anxiety". In only 24 hours you people made this country a worse place to live in. You enabled this.

Codeblue

You can disagree with your candidate's positions, but in the end decide that the good outweigh the bad.

Fill in the blank "X is more important than minority groups". Let me know what word you came up with.

The rejection of the simple phrase "All men are created equal" is disgusting. What could possibly outweigh that? Your taxes are not more important than civil rights, the economy is not more important than the fabric of this country, trade is not more important than shutting down white supremacy. Nevermind that he doesn't have any actual policy to back his words up.

If you can look at what he's said, and find some way to rationalize a vote for him, then you don't respect the most vulnerable populations in this country, and that makes you a bigot, or an enabler of bigotry, and at this point there isn't a difference.

Ri'Orius

Okay, raise another issue for someone to vote for Trump.

Pro-life/earnest belief that life begins at conception.

Earnest belief in economic advantages to protectionist trade policy and reduced regulation.

Earnest belief that climate change is a hoax.

Self-interest in coal mining or manufacturing despite their negative repercussions.

They're not good reasons, obviously, but they're not "Make America White Again."

Tell me one single policy his platform has actively campaigned for that isn't based on some kind of sexism, racism or bigotry. I will wait.

Misguided belief that lower taxes = better economy. Or climate change is a hoax, coal used to sign my paycheck.

I mean, ultimately a lot of the policies can be tied to bigotry, but that doesn't mean that all individuals who hold those positions also exhibit that bigotry. I'm sure there are earnest pro-lifers who didn't come to that conclusion by way of sexism, for instance. And while there is a xenophobic element to jobs being off-shored, there's also the very real element of people losing their jobs.

As a white woman, I'm ashamed at how short-sighted and/or uncaring others in my demographic are. I seriously thought we would pull together against an asshole like Trump. :/

geestack

As I said in another thread: I was walking down the street with my girl. Truck with 4 dudes drove by and they yelled out "Trump won niggers, white lives matter".

She's Muslim but doesn't wear a hijab, I can only imagine what would have happened if she was wearing one.

fucking hell. i'm sorry you guys went through that.

USC-fan

Banned
Yes, but no one is forcing you to. I'm sure he'll be fine without your encouragement considering that he'll have control of all three branches.
You should also consider making a Twitter account and apologizing to some of these people for enabling this.

Apologizing for what?

Not my fault people didnt back sanders. He got my vote.

Why is a post like this allowed? Honest question.

They aren't. Banned at 10:08 when it was seen.

If you have any actual issues, send a PM.

----

Further, democracy is a shared responsibility. No one is free from that and no one gets to opt-out of the consequences. We ride together regardless.

Nothing about this shit is invented and 99.9% of the time it never is. This is real, the fact that you immediately decided to complain about social media in the face of real bigotry coming to the forefront of America is telling.

If you look at my post history you'll see it isn't telling at all - I'm allowed to not leap into the arms of social media truthiness without waiting the mere *day* or less necessary for legit journalism to catch up and apply old fashioned standards. It isn't like the right has never abused it before (eyeroll.gif).

Pro-life/earnest belief that life begins at conception.

Earnest belief in economic advantages to protectionist trade policy and reduced regulation.

Earnest belief that climate change is a hoax.

Self-interest in coal mining or manufacturing despite their negative repercussions.

They're not good reasons, obviously, but they're not "Make America White Again."

Misguided belief that lower taxes = better economy. Or climate change is a hoax, coal used to sign my paycheck.

I mean, ultimately a lot of the policies can be tied to bigotry, but that doesn't mean that all individuals who hold those positions also exhibit that bigotry. I'm sure there are earnest pro-lifers who didn't come to that conclusion by way of sexism, for instance. And while there is a xenophobic element to jobs being off-shored, there's also the very real element of people losing their jobs.

You agree those are not good reasons, but are they reason enough to bury minorities neck deep in sand to acquire? How do you justify that?

Decades of progress undone because the Annoying Orange's shittier cousin made it okay for bigots to come out of the woodworks.
Stay safe everyone, this sadly isn't going to get better for a long time.

Sianos

You can disagree with your candidate's positions, but in the end decide that the good outweigh the bad.

Fill in the blank "X is more important than minority groups". Let me know what word you came up with.

The rejection of the simple phrase "All men are created equal" is disgusting. What could possibly outweigh that? Your taxes are not more important than civil rights, the economy is not more important than the fabric of this country, trade is not more important than shutting down white supremacy. Nevermind that he doesn't have any actual policy to back his words up.

If you can look at what he's said, and find some way to rationalize a vote for him, then you don't respect the most vulnerable populations in this country, and that makes you a bigot, or an enabler of bigotry, and at this point there isn't a difference.

THIS is what everyone should ask trump supporters to answer to

the ironic echo of "some, i assume, are good people" gets an honorable mention, but this is the point that needs to get made

MUnited83

For you.
most did to undo the damage done by obama in their eyes. They had no other choice.

Even some of the biggest republicans came out against Trump. When your candidate is so bad, so terrible, that even some of the main republicans come out against him and say he's a threat, you're in the presence of a monster nobody should be electing.

Demoskinos

Win or Lose i think this was bound to happen regardless and its terrifying. This was always the thing I was more afraid of than Trump himself. He legitimizes these horrible people and their agenda.

Anarky

Banned
There are posted incidents of blatant bigotry and attacks aimed at minorities, and Trump supporters in here are trying to downplay it while refusing to come to grips with the fact that this hatred is what their candidate ran on.

In-fucking-credible.

There are posted incidents of blatant bigotry and attacks aimed at minorities, and Trump supporters in here are trying to downplay it while refusing to come to grips with the fact that this hatred is what their candidate ran on.

In-fucking-credible.

Its so sickening that they turn a blind eye on the injustice of it all.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Funny thing about that, this is EXACTLY what Osama Bin Laden himself said would happen. He probably knew the hatred people in this country has towards minorities, all it took was to push it into the spotlight a little bit.

I truly believe this is coming.

People get uncomfortable when the Black Panthers get brought up but the fear of Black Americans exercising their rights while also being intimidating was enough to ruffle some feathers.

When minorities get mad, people get scared. These assholes are pushing this farther than they can handle. Then they will be wimpy and scared when we start fighting back.

Diggin what Seattle city officials have been saying. Taking a 0 tolerance stance for any of this crap and distancing itself from Trump no matter the consequence. I hope Portland does something similar but so far people are just bitching about protestors.

Cipherr

In-fucking-credible.

Its gonna be 4 years of this too. These guys arent going to be able to REALLY defend this mans actions and the legislation they will pursue without admitting the obvious. So its gonna be major major spin time. Its gonna be Hillarys fault that Trump attacks LGBT Unions, because she should have WON and none of this would be happening. Its going to be liberals fault for not finding a way to appeal to the bigots and get them on board.

Its never going to be admitted that they and Trump are responsible for this mess. I learned that during Bushs 2 terms. People on the right ride hard as fuck for their candidate no matter how dire, and will never stop pointing the finger. Ever. Even to the point of War and a Depression.

Holy shit, the amount of people defending the "good Trump" supporters.

In-fucking-credible.

I agree. It's sad & pathetic.

If anything, a lot of these posters that tolerates this shit should be perma-banned.

As a African-American, this is scaring me. A LOT.

Bloomers

I hear you but I don't want my child to have to deal with open racism and/or sexism in a country so filled with hate. This hate isn't even acknowledged by most white politicians in power.

Did you also see the video of that classroom yelling build the wall while latino kids wept? I don't want that.

Can't do it man. Literally decided last night not to have a child with my wife. It's already hard enough having to explain to them how to act around cops and white people, how to act in stores, and how to dress. No way i'm bringing a brown child into this world that has demonstrated to the entire globe that we matter less than white people.

I've been holding back tears all day. Haven't been able to write. I'm worried about my friends. And people have the audacity to tell me to be patient, to bridge the gap.

Fuck. That.

I get what you guys are saying. I get how you guys are feeling.

But I can't accept it.

If many people, black citizens, citizens of color were to think that way, all of our cultures would die a silent death, submitting to defeat and throwing centuries of fighting and progress down the drain.

I'm not saying it will be easy. But you and your children would be there for each other, for support. It's not like you'd be burdened with having to teach them everything all at once. There's so much good for them to see in the world too.

And there's SO MANY people who also condemn hate and racism. Hell, some of them are organizing right now all over the country. We're all caught in a bad beat right now, but the only way we make things better for tomorrow is if we PERSIST and help each other.

Do not become paralyzed by fear. Find strength. Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom