• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can the games industry resist and push back against Trump & his fascism?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No his problem is that you make very little argument here in gaming than "trump bad, how can we fight back"....which is exactly what people are doing in OT.

If this was a "EA backing Trump policies" or "Nintendo making game against Trump" it would make more sense for a discussion than your hypothetical "discussion" you put over here.
Yep. I don't get how a bunch of people posting 'We must increase diversity!' is going to anything g to stop Trump but w/e. GAF gonna GAF.

I hate generalizing, but I think gamers (myself included) are too busy worried about when the next shipment of nes classics is coming out or wher her FFXV will be good to be too concerned about it.

From the developers end, I think they're on the right track already with minority main characters, and offbeat narratives.

If that's a generalizing statement it would be geared toward children more than gaming. Most people are capable of enjoying a hobby and paying attention to world affairs. Sorry you care more about your own entertainment than other people.

That said, it was a close election and games are a business. I wouldn't expect large game studios or publishers to get too political.

On the other hand things like EA making a Battlefield with a black lead are helpful. Hopefully we'll continue to see increased diversity, but the pessimist in me doubts it considering publisher were already skittish about featuring minorities and women prominently and they just got a huge signal that confirms doing so could be bad for business.

Yep. I don't get how a bunch of people posting 'We must increase diversity!' is going to anything g to stop Trump but w/e. GAF gonna GAF.

I've already personally witnessed and had friends and family relate situations where people have told them to get out of their country, Trump is going to deport them, etc. Featuring diverse casts of characters in entertainment can help grow empathy between groups, especially for people who live in homogenous communities.

But w/e, conservatives gonna get butthurt when everyone isn't made to play a character that looks like them.

Triple AAA games take 4 years to make anyways dude. Trump'll be impeached before then.

A good start would be to follow GrubHub fellow and ask Trump voters nicely to resign since you cant trust them around minorities or LGBT folk *shrugs*

Also, toxic gaming culture led to gamergate and that led to the altright and that led to the mass production of facebook fake news and memes that literally won this election with insulated white people. So stop that shit please. Ban people please.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Gaming side of GAF is an escape from the nonstop political bullshit on both sides. Quite frankly I'm sick of it and don't wish to see it here.

Zolo

Completely agree with this...

'Make Gaming side great again' - keep politics in Offtopic

Mods help us!

In before lock.

Sick of these Trump threads.

how about off topic ? i rather not see this in gaming

I don't see anything wrong with the thread and it is related to gaming.

If you REALLY don't want to see these threads that badly, you can always use this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=944860&page=1

Certainly better than coming in and crapping in the thread because you can't take seeing the topic.

JPLMD

Just continue making great games and diversifying the workforce. Continue punishing bigots who try to utilize this recent election result as a way to promote their agenda.

Yes people are freaked out over this, but I'm more optimistic of our country than a lot of people on GAF.

Besides trump isn't even going to do half of what he says he will do.

SegaShack

Im sorry but I fail to see any correlation. This whole last week has been annoying to browse due to so many Trump threads, surprised this is on the gaming side.

No his problem is that you make very little argument here in gaming than "trump bad, how can we fight back"....which is exactly what people are doing in OT.

If this was a "EA backing Trump policies" or "Nintendo making game against Trump" it would make more sense for a discussion than your hypothetical "discussion" you put over here.
Yes, gaf never have hypothetical discussions.

Skenzin

Banned
1. Elect Politicians that worry more about middle America and less about middle Syria. Places where people lost middle wage factory work and now opportunity consists of part time retail work.

2. Keep the Republican Party focused on moderates and social moderate policies, call out fascist policies.

3. Stop whining and crying that everyone is bigot, racist, sexists, then in the next breath say you hate white mem, It dilutes the concepts. And adds to the pile of hate.

4. Tear down the walls of empathy. Try to look at the world through the eyes of someone you disagree with. Give up the heroes and villains storylines.

Some people are clearly very bad losers holy shit!

It's like if things don't go their way then everyone else is the problem.

Make a change next election by leaving your armchair and going out to actually vote you tools, and better yet have the democrats actually give a fuck instead of just assuming they will win because "Hillary"...

This is exactly why Trump got voted in the first place, people are sick of hearing the far left preach about everything and act like if you aren't 100% with them you are some hate filled mongrel. Both extremes left/right are annoying as fuck in their own right!

Stop spewing the same hate you are supposedly fighting to abolish...

PS: rioting and looting and burning doesn't change anything, all it does is yet again hurt the cause, and make innocent people have to pay for other people's stupidity.

Trump isn't going to do 80% of what he said
Said like someone who doesn't understand the GOP has control of every level of government as well as the inplications of Trump's specific cabinet picks. Gaming and politics have always been intertwined, whether it is based on censorship and content distribution or net neutrality. Not to mention the devastating effect of Gamergaters and their link with the alt-righ...

Actually it doesn't surprise me that the most people sticking their head in the sand about this are on gaming side.

PopeReal

Make a change next election by leaving your armchair and going out to actually vote you tools, and better yet have the democrats actually give a fuck instead of just assuming they will win because "Hillary"...

This is exactly why Trump got voted in the first place, people are sick of hearing the far left preach about everything and act like if you aren't 100% with them you are some hate filled mongrel. Both extremes left/right are annoying as fuck in their own right!

PS: rioting and looting and burning doesn't change anything, all it does is yet again hurt the cause, and make innocent people have to pay for other people's stupidity.

Lol this is why this topic won't go away.

Ignorant posts like this.

Gradly

I don't think he is going to do a lot of what he said, that was just in order to appeal to voters and get more votes, anyway, I see the games released this year have apparent diversity way more than the past and I see the game developers will continue to offer such diversity

Nobody is rioting or looting or burning, and nothing in this thread is suggesting that. Your "both sides" equivalency post is nothing but bullshit. Protests have always been a part of the American democratic process.

norm9

Doesn't sound like it when you say you're too worried about your next game purchase to care. Sorry if there was a misunderstanding though.

Not in all instances. Like yesterday at 2pm. I could say I didn't care about anything but trying to grab the new hottest thing. I probably should have written it better to avoid any misunderstandings. And I placed myself in the generalizations because I didn't want to generalize a group of people (gamers) without also including myself and then be called out for projecting.

But back on topic, as I wrote earlier, I think the games industry has a ways to go, but it's doing a pretty good job, Ubisoft especially, regardless of how you feel about the quality of their games.

It really shouldn't matter whose president these companies should be doing the right thing and treating all people fairly.

Not sure why Trump would change that. If thry were doing less than they could before he was elected that's an issue for that company.

How is pushing back against fascism undermining the results of a democratic election? Being neutral in the face of oppression means we side with the oppressors.

Also,
Cw7occ1UcAAZX6P.jpg

This here, this exactly here, is why he got elected. Insulting people constantly with this fundamentally flawed rethoric that everyone that supports him is a racist xenophobic homophobe brings these type of outcomes. This is fascism, only on the left. Hating on the opposing political views and people saying whites should be exterminated. Hypocrisy much? I don't wanna get banned since I am a junior and I actually supported HIllary and think Trump is a fucking idiot. But the same echo chamber I lived in these past months, when he won and I realized how stupid I was being, it made me sick. The US needs union, it needs both sides of the political spectrum to discuss. Just keep this in off-topic

Lime

I relate it to gaming culture because of the links in the OP. E.g. Fullbright are LGBTQ supporters and are very much affected by the election results, they made their game free for all.

Of course, the companies, media and people who are not taking action could also very well make this gaming-related. Some of you might not be affected by this, but others are.

Make a new Turok along the lines of Dinosaur Hunter and Seeds of Evil set in an apocalypse post Trump's presidency. Also have a skin for the Cerebral Bore that shoots out a blond wig that attaches to enemies and explodes them into a flurry of oranges.

So vehemently opposing people in power (many from actual recognized HATE groups) who will write laws that get minorities killed and strip rights from the LGBT community is "spewing the same hate" ?

Bgamer90

Banned

The fact that you felt the need to state this shows that you feel the majority of people that simply want to see people treated fairly regardless of biological traits they can't control are people that "riot/loot" so I don't know how this makes you look any better.

Anyway, I don't see how this is blatantly off topic either considering the fact that more hate will probably be spread via Xbox Live and PSN alone and (at least in my opinion) honestly should be something that people that run these services should take into consideration.

EBE

Make a new Turok along the lines of Dinosaur Hunter and Seeds of Evil set in an apocalypse post Trump's presidency. Also have a skin for the Cerebral Bore that shoots out a blond wig that attaches to enemies and explodes them into a flurry of oranges.

Yes. YES.

This is the gaming part of the forum, not a weird political 'discussion' where someone calls an elected president a fascist in the thread title.
And every opposite opinion than the OP, is probably not welcome anyways.

They're not welcome because racism and sexism aren't welcome.

This here, this exactly here, is why he got elected. Insulting people constantly with this fundamentally flawed rethoric that everyone that supports him is a racist xenophobic homophobe brings these type of outcomes. This is fascism, only on the left. Hating on the opposing political views and people saying whites should be exterminated. Hypocrisy much? I don't wanna get banned since I am a junior and I actually supported HIllary and think Trump is a fucking idiot. But the same echo chamber I lived in these past months, when he won and I realized how stupid I was being, it made me sick. The US needs union, it needs both sides of the political spectrum to discuss. Just keep this in off-topic

Whatsoever took Trump voters to vote for him, in voting for him they inevitably supported all aspects of his campaign that promoted discriminatory dialogue and policies. Whether that makes them racist or sexist is irrelevant, what's relevant is what's the difference? They still voted for a bigot, and bigotry he will promote, and at best those voters considered that an acceptable trade for whatever positives they might have seen in his campaign.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Also, toxic gaming culture led to gamergate and that led to the altright and that led to the mass production of facebook fake news and memes that literally won this election with insulated white people.

If only Facebook would weed out the tons of fake articles spreading hatred. I see many people falling for the shit that's being spread by these no name right wing sites that seem to pop up like weeds.

Sushi Nao

I'm excited to see what indies will do with this.

I'd like to see games that progressively put the player in increasingly more cruel situations to the groups of people that were called out during the campaign. Really make them look hard at exactly what the rhetoric's consequences are.

Maybe start as a fun cool cops game but after a few levels you get orders to beat up a peaceful protest and then you end up killing a little kid and it's super graphic and everybody is still like YEAH! GOOD JOB!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom