• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can the games industry resist and push back against Trump & his fascism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vypek

So is anyone who comments on the extremely inflammatory and exaggerated post of OP getting banned? I wonder what political views the mods hold...

Yes continued diversity is a great place to start. Diversity is good. It was before. It is now. It still will be tomorrow.

I'm not certain but I'm pretty sure that it's just that thread whining is a bannable offense.

L Thammy

Game idea: Donald Trump's Nuclear Football

You're the manager of the New York Giants and the president is in the stadium, watching the game. Someone has pointed out his small hands earlier a few hours ago, so he's especially volatile today. You have get your team to win the game, but you also have to keep Trump entertained. If you fail, thin skin Trump presses the big red button and starts World War III.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=224103399#post224103399

Theres tons of these hyperbolic posts in Off Topic. Its become so annoying to read that. I've been staying in the Gaming side, hoping it would die down because its just ridiculous. Its frankly embarrassing to be on this forum when these posts aren't being called out.

The extreme right and the extreme left are both ridiculous and one of those sides has a death grip on Neogaf right now for some reason. We've always been left-leaning, but just because our guy lost, there are now witch hunts for anyone who doesn't espouse far left ideals. It's truly sad that the forum is going the way it is. People have to walk on egg shells and put in so many qualifiers "I'm not X, I voted for X" just so some drive by shit poster doesn't ask them "Did you X! I bet you did! How dare you!" and then be dog piled on based only on the accusation.

I remember when Obama was elected and we all made fun of the crazy right wing posts. Now the shoe is on the other foot and we are the hyperbolic nuts. Anyone asking for unity and reason is struck down.

You can be racist and not be frothing at the mouth to lynch black folk. Racism doesn't mean you're the KKK or some race war desiring monster. It might mean you hold some shitty or ignorant views on minority groups.

Occam

It's incredibly difficult to educate willfully ignorant people.

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." -Friedrich von Schiller

Kudos to those who don't despair and keep trying anyway.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm not certain but I'm pretty sure that it's just that thread whining is a bannable offense.

I can't speak for bish, who is quite obviously the person doing the bans in this thread, but yes. If you think Lime is being hyperbolic and that's part of your reply where you consider and discuss the question, then that is not something we would ban for. If your reply is "fuck off I don't care about this thread you cunt", you're going to get banned, because that's something we always ban for, like duh?

For people who really can't help themselves, the NeoGAF Hide Forum Threads script by Jetman81 lets you hide threads by particular users, which might help with impulse control issues.

L Thammy

This thread is a fucking massacre, holy shit.

It's kind of weird. All these banned people, all these complaints about politics, and yet no one's used "sjw" yet.

You can be racist and not be frothing at the mouth to lynch black folk. Racism doesn't mean you're the KKK or some race war desiring monster. It might mean you hold some shitty or ignorant views on minority groups.

I think a lot of people think racism is like a party you choose to support or not.

Trump will make Microsoft bring back Kinect for Project Scorpio

ssdance.gif

Ambient80

Almost sort of on-topic: I'm sitting at a restaurant in Ohio and a couple Trump supporters are sitting next to me discussing global warming. I wish I could love blog this.

More on topic: I think smarter writing in the industry could help. Write real, emotional stories about people who will suffer from this sort of national leadership.

It also wouldn't hurt to give Gamergaters the boot any time they get a chance.

aeolist

Banned
Steam should do their part (and PC gamers in general) to expose and expunge all forms of racism that thrives on that platform. It's truly disgusting how much of that shit exists there and one of the reasons PC is not my platform for MP.

this 100% will never happen. steam is run by a group of people who think their platform can be apolitical, as delusional as that is.

PopeReal

Theres tons of these hyperbolic posts in Off Topic. Its become so annoying to read that. I've been staying in the Gaming side, hoping it would die down because its just ridiculous. Its frankly embarrassing to be on this forum when these posts aren't being called out.

The extreme right and the extreme left are both ridiculous and one of those sides has a death grip on Neogaf right now for some reason. We've always been left-leaning, but just because our guy lost, there are now witch hunts for anyone who doesn't espouse far left ideals. It's truly sad that the forum is going the way it is. People have to walk on egg shells and put in so many qualifiers "I'm not X, I voted for X" just so some drive by shit poster doesn't ask them "Did you X! I bet you did! How dare you!" and then be dog piled on based only on the accusation.

I remember when Obama was elected and we all made fun of the crazy right wing posts. Now the shoe is on the other foot and we are the hyperbolic nuts. Anyone asking for unity and reason is struck down.

I am curious to how unity can happen. As a straight white male do I throw minorities and gay people under the bus to get this unity?

Because I am not going to.

Jawmuncher

I feel like pretty naive statement. Especially with the amount recent attacks against minorities due to Trump. Hate groups in gaming like gamergate are going to feel empowered the same and it probably lead to more people leaving the industry or not being involved at all.

I feel like the industry as a whole has done well against stuff like GG as well. While it's possible that such ideals from members of such groups might rise. I still say the industry won't so easily do a 180 on the changes they have been making for the better.

I don't see anyone submitting to fear and instead they stand up and do what they think is right. Which is continued support on ideas such as the OP has highlighted.

AmuroChan

he killed TPP without holding office. if you think he can't get congressional republicans to abandon the principles they pretend to hold you're naive.

Please tell me how he's going to do that. When he was campaigning, the narrative was that he was a con man and that he won't accomplish anything he said he would do. Now the narrative has changed to him being able to do what no other President has been able to do in the past and convince all these career politicians to abandon their principles and let him do whatever he wants? People can't have it both ways. He can't be both a snake oil salesman who won't get anything done and some genius dictator who will be able to pass legislation that no other President could possibly pass.

Dalibor68

Banned
I think by phrasing the OP in the tone that you did you are going to get a very one-sided conversation. You are presenting your views("fascism") as fact and basing everything on that so those that take a less hyperbolic view are going to have a hard time even getting into the conversation.

But in regards to that conversation - if a developer team as a whole decides to "make a point" then I'd personally hope it would be something along the lines of games like 'Inside' - not knowing what exactly the game was about, the first few minutes I thought
the kid might be a concentration camp escapee or something similar, running through the woods away from executions/from persecutors
and something like that with it's heavy atmosphere is rather going to make me think than some outright obvious Trump parodies (like that one guy in Mafia III or maybe Blume from WD2, but I'm not sure about the latter, just got the impression a bit from the trailers).

If I play a game that doesn't advertise with being a political commentary but then the game goes on to be just that - sorry but I don't want that. One example of that to me was Dreamfall: Chapters - at times it felt like a game written by activist bloggers trying to convey "european right-wing politicians and bad'n shitt!!". No, make it more abstract, nuanced and believeable instead.

As for influence on reviews - god no. I think it is ok that there are outlets - like Polygon, eventhough they are sometimes very inconsistent as well(for example completely ignoring the lack of central powers perspective in BF1) - that cater to this and have it influence their scores - but in general? No. You simply have to accept that the people for whom a protagonist being white would actually negatively influence the score of a game is extremely low. (Mainstream) Video game reviews should not be political hit pieces or social commentary in my opinion. If you want that special scoop, go for those special outlets that cater to this (like Polygon).

Btw, general question - are the moderators in OT / Gaming the same people or different ones?

*edit* also seconding Papers Please as a good example of a game that can make you think (in regards to these difficult topics) without appearing super obnoxious, condescending or teachy

Carlius

Banned
are we really that scared of trump? he wont do half the shit he says hell do, hes still controlled by the establishment..

Dot50Cal

Banned
I am curious to how unity can happen. As a straight white male do I throw minorities and gay people under the bus to get this unity?

Because I am not going to.

This post is a prime example of what I'm talking about.

"Gee, he says we should unify..but that would mean he must be willing to throw all of the minorities and the gay people under the bus. HOW DARE YOU BE WILLING TO DO THAT, DOT50CAL!"

Get that shit out of my face.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Do what every artform has a responsibility to do: speak out. Rebel, inspire people to get out and organize, just do SOMETHING.

this 100% will never happen. steam is run by a group of people who think their platform can be apolitical, as delusional as that is.

Their negligence will only foster that community and racism will prevail there. That's completely unacceptable.

There isn't enough pressure on them. Plenty of people just give steam a pass.

Order

"Gee, he says we should unify..but that would mean he must be willing to throw all of the minorities and the gay people under the bus. HOW DARE YOU BE WILLING TO DO THAT, DOT50CAL!"

How the fuck can we unify when half the country is supporting an asshole whose main appeal was his racist and sexist views.

We want unity, but they don't want us.

PopeReal

Lol ok so how do we unify?

You have not answered that.

Bgamer90

Banned
The extreme right and the extreme left are both ridiculous and one of those sides has a death grip on Neogaf right now for some reason.

It's really not due to "some reason". The hate that people are experiencing right now for traits they can't control (i.e.: skin color, gender, where they were born) goes against the terms of service for not just NeoGAF but also pretty much what every major company (whether gaming or not) has for their human resource policies.

So yeah, forums and companies for that matter are letting people with these views "have a death grip" since those views do not go against their policies. I mean, I can somewhat understand how the fashion of some of these posts could be annoying but I would rather see a message that supports treating people fairly in all caps than a post that pushes a view that goes completely against that in all caps.

David___

Banned
are we really that scared of trump? he wont do half the shit he says hell do, hes still controlled by the establishment..
An establishment that's controlled by the GOP

Hard to unify for someone when THE KKK is hosting a parade BECAUSE HE WON

Bronx-Man

Banned

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20161112_Racist_messages_target_black_freshmen_at_UPenn_with__lynching_.html?mobi=true
http://www.rawstory.com/2016/11/busted-teacher-caught-taunting-students-their-parents-will-be-deported-now-that-trump-is-president/

I don't know what it is, but I get the feeling these people aren't interested in starting a conversation.

Alucrid

Banned

right wing posts hated obama because he was black. or a muslim. or actually born in kenya. those posts fear trump and his republican administration because they're in a position to do what they've wanted to do for years and years and years, strip people of their rights. you don't see the disconnect from trying to compare the two as equal?

Sushen

Wow. Maybe keep this stuff to non gaming. If you wanna debate Trump and the election that's cool.
But this seems a bit of a stretch to have in the gaming forum.
I wonder why this is in gaming section while there is non gaming section. Where is moderators?

Lijik

Why yes, if you rewrite the post to be way more antagonistic than it was I guess that post is what youre talking about.

aeolist

Banned
Please tell me how he's going to do that. When he was campaigning, the narrative was that he was a con man and that he won't accomplish anything he said he would do. Now the narrative has changed to him being able to do what no other President has been able to do in the past and convince all these career politicians to abandon their principles and let him do whatever he wants? People can't have it both ways. He can't be both a snake oil salesman who won't get anything done and some genius dictator who will be able to pass legislation that no other President could possibly pass.

he's a snake oil salesman because 1) he doesn't actually believe anything he says and 2) his policies will not help anyone other than himself and his cronies. that doesn't mean he won't do any of it.

part of the reason for this is because the people who will work for the trump administration are the dregs and castoffs of the republican party because those are the people who were instantly loyal to him. trump may not care about oppressing muslims through the legal system, but attorney general rudy giuliani will. trump may not care about deporting hispanics, but secretary of homeland security joe arpaio will.

his administration is already filling up with open white supremacists and authoritarians. we need to start believing him when he talks about policy.

Dot50Cal

Banned

Yep, I'm sure everyone who voted for Trump is exactly like that. You can cherry pick morons on both sides, but that isn't going to change the fact that 25% of the county voted for Trump. But I get that it is easy to paint one side with a broad stroke and dismiss any of their concerns.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They could start by not feeding into alt-right bullshit on twitter.

As if. Game industry is socio-politically fucked if you look at who its beloved figureheads are.

Maybe it's for the best gamers as a collective are politically impotent, they can't really be trusted to be empathetic.
This thread needs to head straight to OT don't ruin Gaming with political shit.

*multiple countries in the world losing ground to diet fascism*

"I just want to talk vidya gaems."

This thread needs to head straight to OT don't ruin Gaming with political shit.

guess what

art is inherently political in all forms, whether it is music, games, etc

so enjoy your ban for thread shitting

---------

In actual accordance to the thread topic, they can barely do enough to give a fuck about diversity in the actual industry, what can they do against a fascist president?

I feel like the industry as a whole has done well against stuff like GG as well. While it's possible that such ideals from members of such groups might rise. I still say the industry won't so easily do a 180 on the changes they have been making for the better.

I don't see anyone submitting to fear and instead they stand up and do what they think is right. Which is continued support on ideas such as the OP has highlighted.
The industry's response to Gamergate is exactly why I'm worried. While some loudly denounced them other mainly paid non-specific lip service against it.

Wink

Right? It's all so ironic.
I think it's a good sign people are willing to fight against his statements, just wish they'd be this vigilant towards anyone working against their interests, not just when it comes to racism or bigotry.

Occam

Almost sort of on-topic: I'm sitting at a restaurant in Ohio and a couple Trump supporters are sitting next to me discussing global warming. I wish I could love blog this.

I've got to know, what are they saying?

It's incredible that denying basic physics somehow isn't just an acceptable stance in any supposedly modern, industrialized nation in 2016 but even allows you to successfully run for office and be elected president instead of being rightfully ridiculed as the laughingstock you are and relegated to a footnote in history.
What's next, gravity denial?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I wonder why this is in gaming section while there is non gaming section. Where is moderators?

Threads about political issues in games, gaming, or the gaming industry (including political donations from the industry, government regulation, representation and culture, labour and union issues, etc.) are welcome on the gaming side or the off-topic side (or both in rare cases!) depending on what the OP thinks, and always have been since well before I joined the forum ten years ago.

Also remember that every time you reply to a thread, it gets bumped, so replying to a thread that you don't want to exist is exactly counterproductive, and replying to a thread you don't want to exist to ask a moderation question just means a moderator will come by later to answer by bumping the thread yet again.

I would highly recommend using the NeoGAF Hide Thread extension if there's a specific type of thread you want to ignore.

AmuroChan

An establishment that's controlled by the GOP

Yes, but neither GOP or Democrats is really his home base so to speak. He ran on the GOP ticket, but the guy has flip-flopped between being Democrat and Republican for 20 years and have taken both stances on just about every issue (ie. abortion, trade, taxes, gay marriage, etc) over the years. So he's very much a political enigma. In fact, a lot of pundits think he'll actually work better with Democrats like Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer than Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell.

oti

Banned
Better representation of minorities. LGBTQ characters and protagonists, black/asian/older characters and protagonists. Not using cheap American patriotism crap to market your game.

Try to teach people empathy though video games.

Encourage more diversity and denounce hatred and bigotry. Teaching empathy to a lot of people in gaming industry would help as well (Though that seems like a long shot)

Holy hell at the first page bans. Are politics really that allergic to gaming side? ._.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I'm sure any day from now we'll get a statement from Ken Levine stating that the protestors this week are just as bad as the white supremacists endorsing Trump.

Chumley

Banned

You couldn't be more wrong. This is about morality, not politics. People are afraid to go outside, afraid to have everything taken away from them. People on the right just hated Obama because he was black. Also, it wasn't our "guy". It was a woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom