• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 - Worse IQ and Performance on PS4 Pro after newest Patch

This thread statement does not speak for my experience with the game last night post-patch.

The image quality was as good as it was pre-patch and even, dare-I-say-it, better than what I saw from extensive play over the weekend (also on the Pro). I particularly noted to my party just how stunning Amiens was and how the other levels where equally well defined with regards to image clarity, better defined textures and how well it was running. It simply looks a visual treat on my screen.

But maybe that is the issue here; maybe people need to start stating what resolution they are playing at as maybe the problem (if indeed it exists) pertains to 4k displays where 1080p displays (my sony bravia) aren't affected i.e the downscaling/supersampling looks great whereas the upscale to 4k doesn't.

However, to reiterate again, from my experience Battlefield 1 does not have worse IQ and performance on the PS4 Pro after the latest patch.

thuway

Man Frostbite really deserves better CPUs in these consoles. The limited bandwidth reserve combined with an already barebones CPU is really giving the PS4 Pro some trouble.

-hadouken

Well, those temporal anti-aliasing tweaks make the game look worse rather than better. At least give players an option then.

I'm guessing the new AA is hitting performance and making the game look soft. Pro functionality still in effect, though suffering as a result of this AA.

Redders

Noticed it the most on Argonne Forest, frame rate was significantly less smooth than before patch, when starting the operations match the frame rate was really jarring.
Also noticed a larger amount of pop in which wasn't there before.

IQ definitely seemed softer on other maps but Argonne Forest is the worst. Playing on a 4K TV for reference.

But maybe that is the issue here; maybe people need to start stating what resolution they are playing at as maybe the problem (if indeed it exists) pertains to 4k displays where 1080p displays (my sony bravia) aren't affected i.e the downscaling/supersampling looks great whereas the upscale to 4k doesn't.

I'm playing on a 1080P display and it definitely didn't feel as smooth after the patch.

NXGamer

Can someone sumup the results (only serious posters)?
I have briefly tested this 1.04 patch and it all seems to contain the same res, asset upgrade and fps gains I covered in my first video.
The forest stage is always one of the worse due to large sections of geometry. Overdraw and destruction so I think this did and will stand out till more patches are made.

Baseline is Pro version still looks and runs better than base PS4 by a sizable margin.

madmackem

I have briefly tested this 1.04 patch and it all seems to contain the same res, asset upgrade and fps gains I covered in my first video.
The forest stage is always one of the worse due to large sections of geometry. Overdraw and destruction so I think this did and will stand out till more patches are made.

Baseline is Pro version still looks and runs better than base PS4 by a sizable margin.
Thank yo, finally put this to bed. It's crazy how it can fuck with people's minds when they think something is totally different. I'd love for you to take a look at mafias patch, just played iq seems so much better, the fuzziness and Jagger's seem largely gone now.

A wild NXGamer appears! Keep up the good work man! Digital Foundry didn't seem to notice anything either:-
Digital Foundry said:
UPDATE 16/11/16 10:02am: We've seen reports and discussion of reduced performance on PlayStation 4 Pro since the introduction of patch 1.04 yesterday, leading to speculation that the Pro features are disabled in the new update. Temporal anti-aliasing has been been tweaked, but we can rule out the disabling of Pro enhancements as our data is taken from the game running the 1.04 update.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Nice. Thanks.

kriskrosbbk

Can you please put in test Rush on Argonne.Strangely enough it was worst than CQ there.
Don't ask me why.

Pandahammer

Neo Member
Thank yo, finally put this to bed. It's crazy how it can fuck with people's minds when they think something is totally different. I'd love for you to take a look at mafias patch, just played iq seems so much better, the fuzziness and Jagger's seem largely gone now.
Sorry mate but maybe his is running fine, mine most certainly is not.

As I said, played over 100 hours and quite a few on pro. As soon as that patch dropped me and my squad noticed the performance drop straight away. Something is wrong.

I really don't think this many people would be seeing things in regards to this patch. DFs testing was done solely on 1.04 it seems so they may have no reference.

Tycho_b

What's the post-patch performance on OG PS4 and XB1 ? If it's the same then no wonder wild theories keep popping up.

gossi

Okay, I can captures pre patch and now I've done some post patch on PS4, and done FPS counts by duplicate frames. It's a nightmare to do as you have to aim for similar weather conditions, as some of them impact performance.

And: there's no performance hit. The forest level was a heavy hitter before and after patch, but I see no decline in performance.

IQ is slightly softer due to TAA change, but at 4K it's barely noticeable.

This was done on a PS4 Pro only, for reference.

NXGamer

A wild NXGamer appears! Keep up the good work man! Digital Foundry didn't seem to notice anything either:-

Nice. Thanks.

I prefer "feral" as my prefix title lol.

The thing with Mp Is the fact they have so many variables so things can alter for users.

Can you please put in test Rush on Argonne.Strangely enough it was worst than CQ there.
Don't ask me why.
Will test more once I have time, thanks for the requests.

Okay, I can captures pre patch and now I've done some post patch on PS4, and done FPS counts by duplicate frames. It's a nightmare to do as you have to aim for similar weather conditions, as some of them impact performance.

And: there's no performance hit. The forest level was a heavy hitter before and after patch, but I see no decline in performance.

IQ is slightly softer due to TAA change, but at 4K it's barely noticeable.

This was done on a PS4 Pro only, for reference.

Can you still play online without the patch?

Kukawaki

Ok, I dont want to spread FUD but has anyone noticed their Pro gtting really loud in the menus? Before this patch the console was nice and quiet - didn't go thru my headphones.

Ok, I dont want to spread FUD but has anyone noticed their Pro gtting really loud in the menus? Before this patch the console was nice and quiet - didn't go thru my headphones.

Yes i noticed this too, quitting after the match is done sends me in limbo for 2 minutes and the fan goes crazy...

Redders

Only time mine was louder was when the image behind the main menu didn't load a couple of times, was just a black screen with the spinning loading circle in the top right hand corner.

That hadn't happened before the patch but could just be an occasional glitch that happens sometimes

i'm really regretting my pro purchase. I bought it to have better performance than the regular ps4, not worse.

The game is cpu bound, the cpu in the Pro is 30% more powerful than the OG ps4 yet the game sees an increase of 50% in performance with more than double the pixels..........and you're disappointed? what!

Kukawaki

Yes i noticed this too, quitting after the match is done sends me in limbo for 2 minutes and the fan goes crazy...

Only time mine was louder was when the image behind the main menu didn't load a couple of times, was just a black screen with the spinning loading circle in the top right hand corner.

That hadn't happened before the patch but could just be an occasional glitch that happens sometimes

Thanks, thought i was imagining things. Hope they address that.

So it seems like apart from the temporal anti-aliasing change, everything is the same then.

I guess people who thought the performance got worse, was either their mind playing tricks on them or with MP playing differently every time, the performance will always be a little different from match to match anyway.

I disagree with DF and NXGamer on this one. Argonne forest is dropping a lot of frames after the patch on TDM and Domination. It ran at a flawless 60fps before the patch.

Maybe they only tested the maps with Conquest and Operations.

kriskrosbbk

I disagree with DF and NXGamer on this one. Argonne forest is dropping a lot of frames after the patch on TDM and Domination. It ran at a flawless 60fps before the patch.

Maybe they only tested the maps with Conquest and Operations.

Which doesn't make ANY sense, but I agree with you. It was terrible on Rush and better on CQ. I have no idea what is going on anymore.DICE please fix my baby.

keezy

I haven't experienced any issues as far as anything "looking" better. IMO the stable resolution on the Pro is far better than the resolution scaling on the normal PS4.

With that being said, the frame rate is still rubbish and anything we're talking about in terms of FPS is abysmal in this game.

thelastword

Banned
The only way to prove anything is to show screens and do framerate tests. DF or NX saying that there is no issue or no changes means nothing unless they prove it......

It's the same way DF said there was no changes/pro upgrades to battlefield-1 at the launch, and the fact-detector proved that was not so....So unless we get the proof, I'm inclined to believe persons who have the game and have been playing day in and day out....

I played 3 conquest matches last night and didn't notice anything different myself. My g/f said the picture was not as sharp. Did not play a match in the forest though.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
i'm really regretting my pro purchase. I bought it to have better performance than the regular ps4, not worse.

What? It has much much better performance on the Pro.

As well as higher resolution and higher graphical presets...

You're either extremely ignorant to your own purchase, or this is a troll post..

Would like to chime in: Argonne Forest runs worse no doubt. It was the only map I ever played on the Pro when I tested it earlier this week and I noticed the fps boost over standard immediately. Booting it up now, it frequently dips below that level of smoothness. Just has that jerky feel that the non-Pro BF1 had.

In regards to image quality it's hard to say. It still looks plenty sharp at 1080p. The new TAA certainly didn't improve anything, either, but it's not an issue for me right now. Maybe on a 4k screen you notice the differences more.

As I said before, not every map seems to be affected. There are also some people reporting issues with maps, in different play modes.
Argonne Forest was running better before the latest patch. There is constant stuttering now, like it's never running really smooth.
Maybe it's the framepacing?
Even my girlfriend noticed it, and she didn't even knew about the new patch.

Argonne Forest maybe had little hiccups here and there pre-patch, but it was never like this on my Pro. I remember how i noticed, how much smoother it was running, when playing on my Pro. Looked like perfect 60fps at times. And now it feels very different.

thelastword

Banned
I cannot even play the game right now as after the patch and newest driver I either have flickering menus in DX11 or CTDs in DX12 mode which never happened before. It's a mess.
Yet, some people are pretending nothing has changed across the board........

There's no way PC is affected so much, so many console gamers are feeling and noticing a change in fluidity/visuals or otherwise, yet everything is just as it were prior to this patch, it does not make sense....

Top Bottom