• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Discussion (12/2016 trailer)

mbpm1

I thought the trailer was boring and I kept waiting for something to happen that didn't. I wish there was a bit more too it or a bit of context about what was going on. Do we even know what kind of game it is? Like FPS, or stealth TPS?

Yeah, these trailers are really giving us nothing in terms of gameplay.

But...tbh, from what I've seen Kojima could straight up turn this into a walking simulator through wartorn wherever the fuck this is and I'd be interested.

And I usually am not into those games

sense

We know. They just wont market it and that's understandable.
The game is in REALLY early stages. That is something that may release in 2, even 3 years. With a PC port a few months after, so likely in 3 to 4 years.
You are really optimistic if you think it will be on PC a few months after especially the amount of money Sony might be pouring into this. I feel the status has changed to this being PS4 exclusive but if there is a PC port, it will likely be a minimum of 1 year and some of the 4chan leaks suggest 18 months

We know. They just wont market it and that's understandable.
The game is in REALLY early stages. That is something that may release in 2, even 3 years. With a PC port a few months after, so likely in 3 to 4 years.

Source? There was an article that listed a PC version originally, but that was taken down and things have happened between Kojima and Sony since then. Truth is, we don't know anymore. We'll have to wait for further clarification at this point.

dont know wtf that was but definitely had me a bit tense and intrigued once the skellies started showing up. seeing skeletons with guns got my interest up haha

orochi91

And as someone pointed out earlier, there's a meaning behind it as well

In Roman mythology, Decima was one of the Parcae, or the Fates. She measured the thread of life with her rod. She was also revered as the goddess of childbirth.
Given how prominent infants have been in both these trailers so far, that engine is appropriately named.

You are really optimistic if you think it will be on PC a few months after especially the amount of money Sony might be pouring into this. I feel the status has changed to this being PS4 exclusive but if there is a PC port, it will likely be a minimum of 1 year and some of the 4chan leaks suggest 18 months

Well, 12 months is a few months. If you look at the numbers I choosed, that's a year delay.

First interview + that leak if you give it any credit for now. We were told since the begining it's not something coming day and date. And that's also understandable that Sony won't talk about it so early, if at all considering the money they're shelving.

YES! How did I not make this connection already?

Yeah "strand" works both ways... the strands linking the soldiers to something, and the idea of being stranded in another place...or time
And then you have the Decima tie-in with the Fates, who measured out (and cut) the threads of humans' lives

edit: and didn't Kojima make some speech at E3 about tying players together?

AmyS

I reckon MGS4 in the first showing but that was the trend of 2005 showing pre-rendeerd stuff for PS3 but I don't think MGSV was downgraded. The differences shown in comparisons were just design choices.

I don't think the MGS4 trailer at TGS 2005 was pre-rendered. It was realtime, running on more graphics hardware than what would ship in the PS3 in 2006. The dev kit used something like GeForce 7800 GTX SLI. More than twice the performance of PS3's GPU. That's why the TGS trailer ran at 60fps with much more detailed models and better lighting than the actual PS3 game that released years later.

I don't think the MGS4 trailer at TGS 2005 was pre-rendered. It was realtime, running on more graphics hardware than what would ship in the PS3 in 2006. The dev kit used something like GeForce 7800 GTX SLI. More than twice the performance of PS3's GPU. That's why the TGS trailer ran at 60fps with much more detailed models and better lighting than the actual PS3 game that released years later.

Well. At that time they didn't know what they were dealing with since the PS3 wasn't out. Now both PS4 and PS4 PRO are out and they surely know what they are working on especially if the engine is made by Sony Internal and Mark Cerny.

Cartho

Sweet Jesus.

That was some next level Kojima weird shit, from the guy that brought you the Skulls unit and the opening to MGS5.

Got chills when Mads came in and let his soldiers off the leash as it were. Strap in GAF it's gonna be one hell of a wild ride of hype till this thing comes out.

Atilac

I thought the trailer was boring and I kept waiting for something to happen that didn't. I wish there was a bit more to it or a bit of context about what was going on. Do we even know what kind of game it is? Like FPS, or stealth TPS?

3rd person, open world.

Rymuth

So basically, the characters are stranded between heaven and hell, (purgatory?).

Kinda weird to see Kojima doing something so focused on horror.

Not sure I like seeing Del Toro in an acting role but I can't say no to Mads. He makes everything better.

AmyS

Well. At that time they didn't know what they were dealing with since the PS3 wasn't out. Now both PS4 and PS4 PRO are out and they surely know what they are working on especially if the engine is made by Sony Internal and Mark Cerny.

All true, very true. Good point actually.

Everyone is freaking out about Mads and I'm more interested that a film director like Del Toro is an actual character in this game

when I saw that I almost literally lost my shit

Yeah "strand" works both ways... the strands linking the soldiers to something, and the idea of being stranded in another place...or time
And then you have the Decima tie-in with the Fates, who measured out (and cut) the threads of humans' lives

edit: and didn't Kojima make some speech at E3 about tying players together?
I already got that. The post I quoted just referenced Jojo's Bizarre Adventure which has some connections.
Escpecially if you've read Stone Ocean.

And yeah, Kojima has made that same speech about tieing players together at E3, Gamescom and TGS.

Hastati

The tank genuinely scared the crap out of me. Curious to see how much of this will be horror.

Also I hope the baby gives Del Torro some crazy super powers and he gets to fly around with his umbilical jet pack, maybe the baby controls him like the pilot of a Jaeger or w/e. Also I'm beginning to think that this was chapter 3 and also the reason why Kojima was locked in his "office."

i think i know what's going on in the trailer

Guillermo del Toro is running away while trying to find a safe spot to eat that baby while the Baby Recovery Unit, or BRU, is on his tail.

After everything I do for ya'll, you still don't believe me. :(

For shame. Shame I say!

I would love to join #TeamReal. :(

Edit: And yeah, this is definitely real-time. MGS4 comparison is fun but here we have a definitive hardware to work on.

P.S. Did anyone else notice the Del Toro baby winking? It felt like a nod to fans, a "Kept you waiting, huh?" moment lol.

shaowebb

After Quiet, the rapey stuff, and the jamming bombs up ladies in the last Metal Gear any interest I had for the man is gone. I hadn't even played any of the series before...just kept catching all the bizarror shit in it, but that one was enough to write it off for me. Graphics are pretty though. I just dont respect the man's story telling.

Golnei

really digging that music. reminded me a bit of the stuff from 'stranger things' on netflix

If it's original, Ludvig Forssell might be responsible. Some of the MGSV music went for a similar atmosphere, and IIRC he was also attached to Silent Hills.

nomis

I was 100% in on the oily Kojima wackiness from frame 1 of this game, now 300% in with Mads' presence.

Being that it's a 3rd person game we can only hope it has mechanics as perfectly executed as MGSV

Top Bottom