• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Discussion (12/2016 trailer)

DieH@rd

Banned
Honest question, how is Kojima friends with so many people in Hollywood and they respect him so much? I find it somewhat hard to believe they all play Metal Gear

Because he as a creator that manages scripts, characters, camera direction, and he does all of that with a great style. Creators in Hollywood respect that. Plus since he is so successful, he can actually get one on one time with many Hollywood people.

Just hoping for something that isn't a military sneaky beaky sim like MGSV.

I want something at the last of us level Kojima, please.
I don't. Last of Us is a poorly disguised cover shooter.

We don't event know what this game is. Right now aside from pretty CG there are no story beats. No gameplay. Just concepts.

It's nothing but some names.

Ludvig Forsell did the music in the trailer, so that's another one from the MGSV team.

A great keep as well. You can almost hear some of the Skulls encounter track bleeding through the music toward the end of the trailer. Much like MGSV was at its best, very atmospheric.

Their gear is way advanced. The rest of the world looks like its like WWII era, while the main characters look more advanced. Look at the weapons, gear.
Considering thar Reedus looked like a Stone Age person (naked white guy with Stone Age style bone necklace), everything seeming to take place in a twisted, nightmarish version of WWII D-Day and the Normandy landing (featured soldiers, tanks und planes all part of the US army during the operation, + environment and the sea) and Toro and Mads clearly come from present time or near-future as well as the upside-down rainbow...

I think this is a nightmarish alternate reality where individuals from different periods have to survive against a demonic threat (the tank is literally a possessed demon tank and I'm pretty sure those Mustangs don't have pilots anymore either) and its followers (e.g. Mads). THe 4chan leak suggesting supernatural powers orchestrating everything seems to fit right in. Kinda like an extreme horror version of Kohta Hirano's Drifters.

Gurish

This looks half a gen above the best looking games we've seen so far like GOW4 and U4, obviously the gameplay is not gonna look like this.

This is the problem with Kojima trailers man! He makes them so intriguing, and I just have to know more right now. I'm really curious to know if this encounter between GDT and Mads is taking place at the same time as Norman's awakening. I wonder mostly because of the hand prints.

Patrick S.

Banned
Who Kojima is with at the show

cyonnppveaamlyax3sgv.jpg

Does Kojima have skin cancer?

I think I see some thinly veiled political messaging here. The tentacles of a dark force from a foregone era come back to haunt us and reach across the land spreading their influence. Hmmm, sound familiar?

wapplew

This is the problem with Kojima trailers man! He makes them so intriguing, and I just have to know more right now. I'm really curious to know if this encounter between GDT and Mads is taking place at the same time as Norman's awakening. I wonder mostly because of the hand prints.

Let's hope they livestream PSX panel.

mejin

So, this games isn't exclusive?

It wasn't, but I think it is now. Money, people, ip and tech from Sony. Pro was announced as an alternative for some people don't go to pc.
If Sony didn't lock it down to Playstation 4/5, then they are officially a saint company. lol

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
With the two trailers so far, what I'm pulling from it is that it's a Sci-Fi Action Lovecraftian War game.

It's not just the tentacles, there's very strong Lovecraft vibes in a lot of the elements. Also Del Torro loves Lovecraft, it wouldn't surprise me.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
A few more screen grabs.
dhUCtdCh.jpg

I mentioned this in the initial reveal thread, but...these days anything with a baby in it gets me so shook.

Especially if it's such a realistic render, and in such a dark, cruel-looking world like Death Stranding.

Anyone else (with or without young children) feel this way?
Like, we don't even know the true concept or game yet, and I'm still getting feels just from this digital depiction of a tiny human winking at me in a weird way...

Just hoping for something that isn't a military sneaky beaky sim like MGSV.

I want something at the last of us level Kojima, please.

That would be pretty damn disappointing if he decided to do that.

I want more ambition out of Kojima's games, not less.

Okay, I've watched it a couple of times (on my phone sadly as I can no longer access YouTube from work). I have seen the other trailer but have not followed any speculation about this game. Here are some thoughts:

• I think the game might take place in either Purgatory or Hell. Maybe there are different realities down there, and sometimes they blur together - like how when it focuses on the jar Del Toro is holding you hear talking from elsewhere and someone mentions a baby.
  • I think there's going to be some kind of bargain struck that these people (Reedus, Del Toro) give up a part of themselves (as they both had scars) and get the opportunity to escape Hell or Purgatory in exchange for saving an innocent life - a baby.
  • Mads is probably one of those five icons in the sky from the previous trailer. One of the lords of the afterlife, or suchlike. He's a being of pure evil and reality bends around him.
  • Note how the soldiers on Mads' team all seem to be holding M1 Garands (I think?) while Mads has a modern assault rifle. I think this trailer takes place in a WWII scene which is why the soldiers appear in WWII gear, while Mads is not restricted to this reality which is why he has the modern equipment.
  • Not sure I understand the significance of the crabs. Are they cannibal creatures? Which may be an action which would send them to Purgatory. Maybe they're just there because dead and rotting shellfish is quite unpleasant.

I'll probably watch it again later, but that's all I picked up on for now.

Damn. What a great end the to true self indulgence era of games. About a 100 million down the drain. Seriously who is this for?

No? Really? Enjoy your ignorance. As much as you want this one to be a winner it isn't gonna happen. Remember the strong Kojima game that just failed? This is that - just new and bigger and more expensuve. Not enough people care.

You were selfish and precious. & lost.

Yes! Did so well - sold so well that they abandoned it. Is this the thread that people begin to understand that the AAA party is over? There aren't gonna be enough Kojima supporters to validate this game. You'll see when it releases.

Who abandoned it - you do know Konami effectively disbanded the studio who made it, right? What are you talking about?! This game doesn't need just Kojima supporters provided Sony market it correctly (and although it's early days everything so far suggests they will).

Horp

Im hyped cause I love to see Kojima free from the shackles of having a main char thats an gravel voice, jaded, super steath soldier.

I think this is going to be a bit of what he wanted to make with both Silent Hills and MGSV, but were limited by the scope of both IPs and Konami.

So until more information is given beyond these trailers and the confirmation of an Action game, that's the assumption I'm going with.

It's going to be part SHs, part MGSV

I just rewatched the first trailer and the Logo teaser in 1080p. Wow how much 4K makes a difference. I understand why they didn't release them in 4K before because PS4 PRO wasn't offcially announced at that time. I really hope they update both old trailers to 4K so we can enjoy all the tiny details like with this video.

Alpha_eX

Looks good but there's something about the lighting that is just off. I'm happy to start a Kojima series from the beginning again, I lost my way with Metal Gear and could never get back in.

Nzyme32

I'm calling it - time travel fuck the world and everyone has gone back and forward to save themselves back when they were tiny foetuses from the future but taken into the past and later returned to the future. Also boobs. That should cover everything.

It wasn't, but I think it is now. Money, people, ip and tech from Sony. Pro was announced as an alternative for some people don't go to pc.
If Sony didn't lock it down to Playstation 4/5, then they are officially a saint company. lol

There is no confirmation regardless. I'd say the chances are high that the opposite is the case and that the game does come to PC but published by Sony, and they recoup more money that way from a wider audience. Still, you'd have to wait and see since there is no way Sony or KojiPro will talk about it till the time comes

Top Bottom