• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport PSX 2016 Trailer

jett

D-Member
Jesus, I remember seeing Gran Turismo on the PS1 for the first time and thinking that it was the first time I'd seen a game that justified the term "photorealistic". I know that makes no sense to people who weren't there but it was such a leap.
ps1_granturismo_shot3.jpg

Gran Turismo Sport has that same effect on me, it's bewildering in places. It still needs a polish here and there but the places have already had that polish are just ridiculous.

Heh, I remember just watching replays in GT1 with my friends and going like "if you squint it looks almost real!"

thelastword

Banned
That trailer at 4k is absolutely bonkers, it puts all other racers to shame. One pet peeve I've had are the buildings, in part 5 and 6, but here, they look more structured, detailed and defined. I would just like it if they showed that people actually occupy these buildings, put some lights on in those buildings at night, lets see a few people walking around them etc...Tokyo track especially, just to sell the immersion. Having said that, 60fps before any of that is added....... As it stands, the graphics here are unmatched. So many cars onscreen with top notch lighting and shadows. PD are really the graphics king, I hope we can get a preview of how the framerate is holding. Sound seems to be improved quite a bit too.

Ame

Day/night cycle in, realtime weather in, proper career mode in, 4 player split screen in, 60fps locked...

YES! I mentioned how much I wanted this a couple of pages back. I'm so glad they added a career mode. Everything else mentioned is great to. The only thing left is what the car sounds are gonna be like come launch day.

YES! I mentioned how much I wanted this a couple of pages back. I'm so glad they added a career mode. Everything else mentioned is great to. The only thing left is what the car sounds are gonna be like come launch day.
I think he's pulling your leg.

benzy

I hope the delay means they're putting in a meaty single player instead of basically a tutorial campaign for online racing.

Avtomat

Day/night cycle in, realtime weather in, proper career mode in, 4 player split screen in, 60fps locked...

I thought we were only getting set weather during races so no day to night transitions or dry to rain?

No damage model at all and the pressence of concept cars says to me no visual damage modelling *sigh*

sublimit

Banned
Jesus, I remember seeing Gran Turismo on the PS1 for the first time and thinking that it was the first time I'd seen a game that justified the term "photorealistic". I know that makes no sense to people who weren't there but it was such a leap.
ps1_granturismo_shot3.jpg

I was there and i said the same thing.It's really bizarre when you think about it today. :)

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood

When did all of this get announced? I would have thought Career mode would have been a big deal. I thought day/night cycle during the game was not going to happen to get the frame rate up?

I hope the delay means they're putting in a meaty single player instead of basically a tutorial campaign for online racing.

A meaty single play mode in a racing game? Don't be absurd.

The delay was so they could find time to face scan Todt / Whiting and record their voice overs.

nasanu

Banned
What exactly is this career mode you guys want? That same buy a car, win race, buy faster car, win race, buy faster car, win race, buy faster car, win race....

God that was boring. There was a reason the rubber band trick was invented. People wanted to automate that crap so they didn't have to do it. They only thing people enjoyed where the challenges and special events when they were introduced. So pd took out the old pointless grind and is giving only special events and challenges, but now everyone complains?...

You really want it more boring?

farisr

Saw the trailer on a 4k display, looks gorgeous. Really want to see it in HDR, but thanks to nobody releasing HDR trailers of their games, not to mention my PC not be able to output HDR, nor the Pro's media player being capable of playing HDR yet, no point.

Inviusx

Have they said anything more on supprting PS3 wheels like the Driving Force GT? I think they were looking into it earlier this year.

So I took some off screen footage of the game running on Pro.

It looked fantastic. Played the VR version too.

Anycase, here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZXlToNsnz4&t=113s

Now, most will say that capturing off-screen makes it look better, but nevertheless, it looked really good. I was impressed. Unfortunately there wasn't any units hooked up to a base PS4, so I can't comment on that. Sounds are improved, and the collision sounds were really improved. It doesn't sound like bumper cars anymore. Then again, the racing units I nice speakers to them so maybe that helped as well. Who knows, in anycase I liked what I demoed in more ways than one. I'm excited for Gran Turismo for the first time in a long time.

The lighting is spectacular!

Yes, very much so. Looks fantastic with HDR as well.

p3n

An online subscription based racer with tacked on VR, tacked on single player modes, tacked on gimmicks: the chance to win and collect a trophy at some FIA shindig, a gateway to spending thousands of real money on trying to acquire a real motor sport license, whatever other useless shit they're hiding - why, oh why?

Ahhhh it is so hard to disagree with you if you lay it out like this. From what they've shown so far and the way the game has been coming along this seems to be the impression many people got.

Regardless of that I really want to believe they will deliver in the end. The optimistic side of me is seeing a proper GT game at heart that has been build around the MP community instead of tacking on half-assed lobbies. I just hope the game was delayed because PD realized that they can't possibly ship a GT game without a proper career mode.

Without a proper career and selection of cars, my ass tells me 90% of the people who usually buy GT games wont care about GTS. It's just what GT is: Buying a shitty car and starting to race a Sunday Cup against other shitty cars. Slowly building up the money to buy a car you want out of the huge selection. Later on having to buy and race cars you might not be familiar with or you wouldn't usually touch.

If all that is in and maybe even combined with a seamless online integration, like running your Sunday Cup against other people + CPU instead of the CPU only, it could be AMAZING.

Ahhhh it is so hard to disagree with you if you lay it out like this. From what they've shown so far and the way the game has been coming along this seems to be the impression many people got.

Regardless of that I really want to believe they will deliver in the end. The optimistic side of me is seeing a proper GT game at heart that has been build around the MP community instead of tacking on half-assed lobbies. I just hope the game was delayed because PD realized that they can't possibly ship a GT game without a proper career mode.

Without a proper career and selection of cars, my ass tells me 90% of the people who usually buy GT games wont care about GTS. It's just what GT is: Buying a shitty car and starting to race a Sunday Cup against other shitty cars. Slowly building up the money to buy a car you want out of the huge selection. Later on having to buy and race cars you might not be familiar with or you wouldn't usually touch.

If all that is in and maybe even combined with a seamless online integration, like running your Sunday Cup against other people + CPU instead of the CPU only, it could be AMAZING.
I've never had any concerns about the graphics, even when people were earlier bagging it: this is PD we're talking about. I'm disappointed with the denigrated SP, and the loss of dynamic time and weather, but ultimately I think PD can still deliver around those aspects.

The AI (where required), damage, and collision physics I don't think will be much improved from the previous (poor) levels seen in GT games, but I can still live with that (if you're doing it right you're not really seeing much of those systems anyway).

But I have to say that right now I have zero confidence they can deliver a game that doesn't have shitty sound, and that's the dealbreaker for me. Sound is just such a huge part of the experience, and as the gap between the realism of the visuals and the realism of the sound widens, it becomes more and more of an irritant... to the point where it destroys all immersion.

2 new videos from GTPlanet:
Direct-Capture GT Sport Footage: Nürburgring and Brands Hatch

https://youtu.be/2fAVIPnGcjk

https://youtu.be/gKV_7drfRi0

Image quality is amazing. Wonder what type of AA it is, TAA?

Lightning, shaders and car models are out of this world. Framerate looks very steady and IQ is insane. The only major issue is texture filtering which is atrocious. Looks like trilinear. PS4 Pro seemed to have fixed this issue for many games, PD should target at least 4x AF. It's especially visible in replays with the grass being blurred.

Yeah thats what I buy GT for - shit car, grind sunday cup, buy a viper, destroy, have to buy specific cars.

If career mode is scrapped, well we have a replica of street fighter V

Apex

The only major issue is texture filtering which is atrocious. Looks like trilinear. PS4 Pro seemed to have fixed this issue for many games, PD should target at least 4x AF. It's especially visible in replays with the grass being blurred.
I don't think the game will have a problem with that, all the previous GTs were very good at rendering detailed distant textures. What you're seeing is probably a combination of an atrocious yt video compression plus the constant depth of field and background motion blur effects in the replays. Not a good combination to know how good is the texture filtering.

Top Bottom