• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley |OT| Resting Under a Harvest Moon [Up: now on PS4]

Retro

Anyone using mods?

I'm considering the Sprint mod and one that is a mirror to change your looks.

No mod needed for that last one; once you have four hearts with the Wizard, you gain access to a shrine that allows you to change your character's appearance for 500g

As much as I don't want to, I can't help but get sucked back into this game again. Put a couple hours in today on the PS4 and having a good time. Forgot how relaxing it could be to just do whatever.

macgoeszoom

Neo Member
Just had my first crash. Day 8 of spring. Went to the wizard and got a blueprint for my furnace. Other than that I am enjoying it and the controls are great. Love how easy it is to switch between tools and so on.

totowhoa

Banned
So I upgraded my backpack. It seems like I have to bring up the inventory menu and manually drag items up to the top row in order to access them with L2 and R2. Is there no way to switch which row is on the HUD at all? This seems weirdly tedious

Note: I can't get all of the HUD to appear on screen on PS4, so maybe I'm missing something obvious. Not sure if I've been missing something, but none of my TV's settings fix it.

vanx0

Guys, anyone having issues with this game and rest mode on PS4 Pro? Because when I go to rest mode after playing Stardew Valley, it won't turn up and I am forced to do a hard reset (pulling the plug).

mr.beers

I must have accidentally picked cat as my pet :/ NPC asked if I wanted to adopt. If there a way to fix this or would I have to restart my game? I want a puppy real bad.

Retro

Just wanted to comment; I'm trying to answer any questions people have, but since I have neither a PS4 or XBONE it's gonna be limited to gameplay-stuff only.

Just don't want you guys to feel ignored, I just don't have any answers for you beyond what the developer and publisher post / tweet.

I must have accidentally picked cat as my pet :/ NPC asked if I wanted to adopt. If there a way to fix this or would I have to restart my game? I want a puppy real bad.

You'll have to restart, sadly.

Poetaster

Banned
Guys, anyone having issues with this game and rest mode on PS4 Pro? Because when I go to rest mode after playing Stardew Valley, it won't turn up and I am forced to do a hard reset (pulling the plug).
I've had this issue with my pro as well. Blinking orange light with no video output upon waking it from rest mode.

Just wanted to comment; I'm trying to answer any questions people have, but since I have neither a PS4 or XBONE it's gonna be limited to gameplay-stuff only.

Just don't want you guys to feel ignored, I just don't have any answers for you beyond what the developer and publisher post / tweet.
Are there any cases where choosing one farm over another will eliminate certain elements?

For example, I chose the Forest Farm. I know that the layout highly favors foraging, but will I still be able to catch all the different types of fish available in the game?

Retro

Are there any cases where choosing one farm over another will eliminate certain elements?

For example, I chose the Forest Farm. I know that the layout highly favors foraging, but will I still be able to catch all the different types of fish available in the game?

Yeah, there's nothing you can accidentally screw yourself out of in terms of collections / progress. Spoiler tagging anything that might be considered a "cool discovery," just in case people want to find things out themselves...
- The fish you can catch on the Island Map are the same as in Pelican Town.

- The special weeds you can find on the forest map just drop mixed seeds, which can be found everywhere. The foraged items and bushes can also be found in the wilderness. Hardwood is always available in
the Secret Woods.

- The Geode nodes that appear in the Cliffside map behave the same way as the geodes you find while mining, and you can find all of the ore in the mines
and quarry.

- The Wilderness map's Golems don't drop anything exclusive, mostly stuff you can find while mining.​

It's purely an aesthetic / difficulty choice (in that it will be more difficult to build all the structures you want and have room for lots of crops and such, they aren't any harder).

Retro

I have just finished my first spring. I have been really enjoying this game a ton. It is really a fun and relaxing experience.

If you think it's laid back now, wait until winter when there's no crops to care for and you can spend all day listening to the soothing, twinkling music, fishing or hunting for worms / forage items, or hitting up the mines to upgrade all your tools. Or just using the free time to socialize with everybody you've been too busy to hang out with all year. I love the sudden change of pace that hits in Winter.

On that note, $4.99 for the soundtrack is totally worth it if you like background music without lyrics while working / relaxing / whatever. Might be cheaper during the steam sale too.

Seil

If you think it's laid back now, wait until winter when there's no crops to care for and you can spend all day listening to the soothing, twinkling music, fishing or hunting for worms / forage items, or hitting up the mines to upgrade all your tools. Or just using the free time to socialize with everybody you've been too busy to hang out with all year. I love the sudden change of pace that hits in Winter.

Us cool kids have the greenhouse by winter and are wrapping up our community center then starting our wine empire =p

(New players do not expect to your year to play out like this unless you actually plan out everything as you go)

Retro

Us cool kids have the greenhouse by winter and are wrapping up our community center then starting our wine empire =p

I have a greenhouse too, but it's automatically watered, produces crops that I don't have to replant (including fruit trees), and coffee empires are much better than wine.
tBex9KO.gif

Seil

I have a greenhouse too, but it's automatically watered, produces crops that I don't have to replant (including fruit trees), and coffee empires are much better than wine. =p

Lol same here, except ancient fruit wine is cooler than coffee =p

But I spent my most recent first winter in the infinite dungeon and stuff diving for iridium lol.

Year 2 is for socializing.

Retro

(New players do not expect to your year to play out like this unless you actually plan out everything as you go)

Oh yeah, ignore us; I've sunk just under 100 hours into the game, this is all stuff to do when you've achieved all of your goals and want to just make the best farm empire possible. Take it slow, enjoy the ride; remember that it's the pursuit of profits above all else that leads to an eternity trapped in the Joja cubicle farm. That's not what Grandpa would want!

Lol same here, except ancient fruit wine is cooler than coffee =p

But I spent my most recent first winter in the infinite dungeon and stuff diving for iridium lol.

Year 2 is for socializing.

Not as profitable though; coffee in the spring, hops in the summer. I've got as much of my farm automated as possible (while still maintaining a layout that appeals to my unique mixture of aesthetic demands and compulsive need for everything to be spaced out and lined up) so apart from my small bit of livestock (just enough to make sure I can fill all the casks in my basement with cheese) pretty much all year is for whatever the heck I want =p

Hawkguy

Neo Member
I've had the same issue as well with my pro since I've installed stardew valley. If I play it for any extended period of time and try to put the console in rest mode it gets stuck and I have to reboot it into safe mode.

Not only that but it's affecting other games as well. after playing for a few hours last night I quit the application and tried to boot up titanfall 2 which I have on disc; the game managed to boot up but it got stuck on the initial load screen so I had to reboot, which in turn got stuck stuck. I tried it with other games as well and I was getting multiple software crashes on everything played directly after stardew valley. I tried to boot up let it die, but it wouldn't leave the splash screen.

In addition to the software, the game seems to mess with the systems OS as well. While I was playing it I received a party invite and when I tried hitting the home button to accept the entire system froze. I wasn't able to press the power or anything I had to pull the cord.

I try to stay away from hyperbole, but based on my experience if you have a ps4 pro I would not buy this game, because it may actually damage the console....I went ahead and uninstalled it for now. It's a shame too, I was really looking forward to playing it and now I'm mad I wasted 15 bucks on it.

I've had the same issue as well with my pro since I've installed stardew valley. If I play it for any extended period of time and try to put the console in rest mode it gets stuck and I have to reboot it into safe mode.

Not only that but it's affecting other games as well. after playing for a few hours last night I quit the application and tried to boot up titanfall 2 which I have on disc; the game managed to boot up but it got stuck on the initial load screen so I had to reboot, which in turn got stuck stuck. I tried it with other games as well and I was getting multiple software crashes on everything played directly after stardew valley. I tried to boot up let it die, but it wouldn't leave the splash screen.

In addition to the software, the game seems to mess with the systems OS as well. While I was playing it I received a party invite and when I tried hitting the home button to accept the entire system froze. I wasn't able to press the power or anything I had to pull the cord.

I try to stay away from hyperbole, but based on my experience if you have a ps4 pro I would not buy this game, because it may actually damage the console....I went ahead and uninstalled it for now. It's a shame too, I was really looking forward to playing it and now I'm mad I wasted 15 bucks on it.

Yup just happened to me again and you pretty much summed up all the problems that I am currently experiencing so far. Don't know if its the game that causing the problem, but I'm gonna uninstall it and see if I can recreate the problem with other games.

Hawkguy

Neo Member
uh so should I not start playing this on my PS4 Slim? Because I was just about to start. But now I'm a little scared.

I think you should be ok. I don't know anyone that has a slim, but I have about 5 friends that have original PS4s and they haven't had any issues. I'm really hoping this is an isolated incident, but I've rebuilt my ps4 database and it's still giving the me the same problems.

Just to test out that it was the game and not my ps4 I launched played about 4 hours of batman tonight, turned it on rest mode, and it turned off perfectly. I'll mess around with it more tomorrow, but I'm confident in saying this is more than likely a serious bug caused by stardew valley.

I really hope that if this isn't an isolated incident that more people are aware of this because it doesn't seem to be anywhere on the Internet. Especially with a lot of the goty stuff next week there's probably going to be a lot of new people buying this and they should know if there is a possible system debilitating bug.

I think you should be ok. I don't know anyone that has a slim, but I have about 5 friends that have original PS4s and they haven't had any issues. I'm really hoping this is an isolated incident, but I've rebuilt my ps4 database and it's still giving the me the same problems.

Just to test out that it was the game and not my ps4 I launched played about 4 hours of batman tonight, turned it on rest mode, and it turned off perfectly. I'll mess around with it more tomorrow, but I'm confident in saying this is more than likely a serious bug caused by stardew valley.

I really hope that if this isn't an isolated incident that more people are aware of this because it doesn't seem to be anywhere on the Internet. Especially with a lot of the goty stuff next week there's probably going to be a lot of new people buying this and they should know if there is a possible system debilitating bug.

I have a pro and experiencing the same issue. I also had the same thing happen with DOOM. Seems to be some weird bug with pro consoles.

danowat

Banned
On day 10 of spring and running great on xbox. No problems to speak of.

You aren't getting stutters or pauses?

They are plaguing my game.

On a more general note, when does the mine unlock?, I'm on day 8, and it hasn't, but I've read guides that say it should unlock on day 4?

GHG

You aren't getting stutters or pauses?

They are plaguing my game.

On a more general note, when does the mine unlock?, I'm on day 8, and it hasn't, but I've read guides that say it should unlock on day 4?

Have you spoken to the guys who run the adventurers guild?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I just bought the Iridium Rod and can't figure out how to add the Spinner and/or Trap Bobber. Seems like they're compatible with two slots on the rod, but I can't get them to interact. I'm level 6 with fishing.

I just bought the Iridium Rod and can't figure out how to add the Spinner and/or Trap Bobber. Seems like they're compatible with two slots on the rod, but I can't get them to interact. I'm level 6 with fishing.

You might try whatever button allows you to select items from a stack one at a time. On PC both actions are right click by default, but I'm not both actions use the same button on console.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
You might try whatever button allows you to select items from a stack one at a time. On PC both actions are right click by default, but I'm not both actions use the same button on console.
Thanks, figured it out. It's a different button than for the stacking (square), but you were right, you do need to hold a button while dropping the item on the rod (L1).

I guess this is kind of spoilerish? But how many years/seasons are there? I mean I know it goes up to "year 2", but then what?

Feel free to put in spoiler tags, as to not spoil it for other people.

Thanks!

How difficult/complex is the gameplay? How much of a time sink is it to get the most out of it in terms of building stuff?

Is it more akin to Minecraft/Terraria?

danowat

Banned
How difficult/complex is the gameplay? How much of a time sink is it to get the most out of it in terms of building stuff?

I've only played a few hours, but it's not complex at all (yet?) doesn't appear to be too much of a time sink, and it's not like Minecraft/Terraria at all (at least IMO)

Sendou

I guess this is kind of spoilerish? But how many years/seasons are there? I mean I know it goes up to "year 2", but then what?

Feel free to put in spoiler tags, as to not spoil it for other people.

Thanks!

4 seasons and unlimited amount of years.

Not difficult at all. It's more of a casual game. Even completing the "main goal" (in my opinion) in the game takes a good amount of time and you can easily put anywhere north of 100 hour in the game.

Montresor

If you are put off by stutters and pauses, I'd wait for a patch.

If you are serious, the game can get fucked until it gets a discount (or a patch).

I cannot STAND stutters and pauses. I wish if games were going to underperform, that they would gracefully dip into 20 frames per second or something. Instead of stuttering and pausing to zero frames per second while trying fruitlessly to load resources.

danowat

Banned
If you are serious

I am.

When you are fishing, and it stutters, it's a right pain in the hole.

Hi everyone,

Stardew Valley is now available on Xbox One, and Playstation 4 in North America and Europe! The price for the console version is $14.99 USD, just like PC.

Stardew Valley was ported to Xbox and PS4 by my publisher, Chucklefish, in conjunction with Sickhead Games. The launch has been relatively smooth so far, but there are a few issues we are aware of. We will be rolling out some patches in the next few weeks to address some of these issues, including:
Game crashes when going to sleep around the 3rd day, if the system language is not english. (PS4)
Game crashes in certain cases if the Exit To Title button was used (Xbox One)
Occasional hitching/freezing in the Xbox One version
GUI elements cut off on the edges of the screen on certain TV setups
Control improvements
In the meantime, Molly from Chucklefish has started a thread in the forums with some known bugs/issues and a few workarounds.

Thanks so much to everyone who has purchased the console version so far… I hope you are enjoying it… and thank you all for your continued support!

-ConcernedApe

Randam

A year can take up quite a few few hours.
And if you want to build everything it can take at least a hundred hours.

Yeah, there's nothing you can accidentally screw yourself out of in terms of collections / progress. Spoiler tagging anything that might be considered a "cool discovery," just in case people want to find things out themselves...
- The fish you can catch on the Island Map are the same as in Pelican Town.

- The special weeds you can find on the forest map just drop mixed seeds, which can be found everywhere. The foraged items and bushes can also be found in the wilderness. Hardwood is always available in
the Secret Woods.

- The Geode nodes that appear in the Cliffside map behave the same way as the geodes you find while mining, and you can find all of the ore in the mines
and quarry.

- The Wilderness map's Golems don't drop anything exclusive, mostly stuff you can find while mining.​

It's purely an aesthetic / difficulty choice (in that it will be more difficult to build all the structures you want and have room for lots of crops and such, they aren't any harder).
I picked the Forest Farm purely for aesthetics, but the way they explained the variations in-game made me a little unsure about missing out on opportunities exclusive to other maps. Your explanation cleared up the confusion, though - thanks!

Top Bottom