• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 Trailer

zoukka

gtav.jpg

people keep forgetting that also the tree densitiy in the gta v trailer was way higher than in the game released. i just want to say dont trust the trailers...even when its rockstar.

True.

But that game was released on PS3, it was delusional to think that it would've looked like the trailer.

haven't played it since release haha so maybe nostalgia is making it sound great to me but i seemed to really be into John's arc at the time and particularly that bold ending switching perspectives.

Most people remember 3 points in the campaign- herding cattle, entering Mexico, and the ending- and conveniently forget that the actual mission design and pacing weren't that great. Like UrbanRats said, it's a ton of "Go here, shoot dudes" errand boy missions. Now while the atmosphere, world design, random events, and dialogue carry their weight, there's a ton of room for improvement in RDR2.

Regarding GTAV: That story was a big letdown in the way it basically starts flailing in all directions halfway through before ending with a whimper, but I also think that was a script thing more than a 3 protagonist thing.

Fully expecting multiple controllable characters in RDR2, and I'm guessing Marston won't be one. Hopefully the campaign is either more focused in order to deliver lots of exciting and dramatic story beats, or more flexible allowing the game to go everywhere without betraying the core narrative.

UrbanRats

Most people remember 3 points in the campaign- herding cattle, entering Mexico, and the ending- and conveniently forget that the actual mission design and pacing weren't that great.

This is so true, and i do think those 3 moments were outstanding, so i'm not even trying to bring the game down.
However for example, there is a mission where you go, along with the sheriff, to a ranch that has been attacked by Bill Williamson's gang.
You arrive there, and it is deserted, you get to the barn, and the family has been hanged, with only one woman as a survivor.
So you're all fired up for revenge, you hop on your horse with the law men, and you're ready to go.
Now this would've been a good way to introduce something a bit different, perhaps you sneak up on these cunts at night, as they camped in the wild, and sneak around their camp, cutting throats with your knife, or maybe you set fire to their tents while they still sleep.
Whatever.
Instead what you get is you ride for a bit, then they ambush you, you hole up in a little run down shed, behind cover, and shoot the waves of baddies until they're all dead.

By comparison, in GTAV as painfully scripted as it was (it especially feels so, after you played something like MGSV) the missions tried to stay varied, tried to throw stuff at you, like using thermal vision with Franklin, or using the remote control cannon to take down the plane, and have Trevor chase it down on a bike, or infiltrate under water.

Granted GTA being in modern times, it's a bit easier to come up with ways to vary up the missions, but they didn't really try that hard in RDR (probably because having the game running was in itself enough of a headache).
So yeah, plenty of room to improve, in the sequel.

But honestly what i'd want, it's not even creative varied mission, it's just more freedom, plain and simple.
Again, after you play something like MGSV, that essentially gives you tools, a set of basic rules, and leaves you to be creative in a (literal) sandbox, it's hard to go back to "follow the dot on the map" mission design.
And actually, that was the promise that GTA3 gave, back in the day: Park your car in front of the gateway and rocket launch everyone's ass! Impromptu solutions to emergent problems.
Not just cinematic, rubber banded to hell chases, and endless waves of bad guys.

R* are the absolute top dog in this industry, so this may ring hollow, but they need to step up their game design a notch or two.
their world building is truly unparalleled, i think by anyone in the gaming business, and they polish that aspect to scary extremes, but when it comes to push the game design forward, they don't seem to be very bold (despite the 3 characters thing, being a very ambitious idea).
I mean, how long have they been doing this? And they can't manage some decent on foot controls, when the competition can do it just fine (from Watch Dogs to Sleeping Dogs.. basically anyone has them beat on that front).
Or maybe boldness isn't even the problem, maybe their insularity is, it would explain why they still can't offer a simple and convenient garage system in GTA, when everyone else figured that shit out since forever.

Lady Gaia

Most people remember 3 points in the campaign- herding cattle, entering Mexico, and the ending- and conveniently forget that the actual mission design and pacing weren't that great.

I remember finding the plot and gameplay uninspired, but losing myself in the environment. That's why I think random scenes of amazing beauty made a lot more sense for this trailer than anything involving action, character, or plot. None of these would have reminded me of why I loved the original.

Gorillaz

GTA V's story getting a little off the road had more to do with the script then the actual 3 characters. They could have easily made that work with all of them connected they just bit off more then they could chew with each person's storyline. Show a bit more restraint next time around.

But at this point the internet will always point to the reason being the 3 person characters and not the fact The Housers didn't know how to write each storyline well.

Nabbis

True.

But that game was released on PS3, it was delusional to think that it would've looked like the trailer.

I love how people say this post release yet half of GAF swore on their mother that the game will look like the promotional material.

It didn't look like that on PC either, regardless of specs.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
GTA V's story getting a little off the road had more to do with the script then the actual 3 characters. They could have easily made that work with all of them connected they just bit off more then they could chew with each person's storyline. Show a bit more restraint next time around.

But at this point the internet will always point to the reason being the 3 person characters and not the fact The Housers didn't know how to write each storyline well.

The problem is it's a long game they had to fill. The central conceit of both RDR and GTAV are, in my opinion, pretty compelling. RDR had Marston tasked with 'murdering' his old family to save another. GTAV had the unresolved betrayal of two brother figures as observed by Franklin (essentially the player surrogate).

The problem is they had to artificially pad these basic narratives to fit an expected length and it made them a lot looser and more unwieldy than they could've been. I didn't feel that so much with RDR (I loved Mexico), but it certainly contributed to GTAV losing its way in the middle and hit an unsatisfactory, almost rushed, ending.

On a side note: I always thought GTAVs ending would've been far more impactful if they had made
Option C end with Franklin dying
; either that or forced you to choose between A & B only. It felt like such a cop-out in light of RDR's climax.

GTAV should have just been about the relationship between the three guys and them pulling off heists. The large focus on the government and a bunch of other random shit completely killed most of the story, and the completely botched ending didn't help. Well endings technically, but only one of them could be considered a decent effort, and it still sucked and really displayed the shortcomings of the story.

Gorillaz

The problem is it's a long game they had to fill. The central conceit of both RDR and GTAV are, in my opinion, pretty compelling. RDR had Marston tasked with 'murdering' his old family to save another. GTAV had the unresolved betrayal of two brother figures as observed by Franklin (essentially the player surrogate).

The problem is they had to artificially pad these basic narratives to fit an expected length and it made them a lot looser and more unwieldy than they could've been. I didn't feel that so much with RDR (I loved Mexico), but it certainly contributed to GTAV losing its way in the middle and hit an unsatisfactory, almost rushed, ending.

On a side note: I always thought GTAVs ending would've been far more impactful if they had made
Option C end with Franklin dying
; either that or forced you to choose between A & B only. It felt like such a cop-out in light of RDR's climax.
I definitely think both games general A-B, overall point was great. Marston coming to terms with his new reality and protecting his family from his old life and Franklin being our eyes and ears to Mike and Trev problem. I'm actually replaying 5 right now for the first time in a few years but I do remember at one point of the story (I think after the FIB building heist and around saving lamar mission) I was waiting to just go to the end game of this. That always happens with R's games for me. It gets a bit long in the tooth.

I still enjoyed it tho, for RDR2 idk how they can make that work again other then maybe the multiple protags are after the same antag. Which I'm still betting on it being Dutch's group.

Raven77

I remember finding the plot and gameplay uninspired, but losing myself in the environment. That's why I think random scenes of amazing beauty made a lot more sense for this trailer than anything involving action, character, or plot. None of these would have reminded me of why I loved the original.

This post is just...so spot on. I remember elements of the plot, the story, etc. but what I remember most and what makes me think of the game fondly is the quiet moments, the sunsets and sunrises, thunderstorms, messing around in the environment in general. The trailer, for me, was perfect.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I definitely think both games general A-B, overall point was great. Marston coming to terms with his new reality and protecting his family from his old life and Franklin being our eyes and ears to Mike and Trev problem. I'm actually replaying 5 right now for the first time in a few years but I do remember at one point of the story (I think after the FIB building heist and around saving lamar mission) I was waiting to just go to the end game of this. That always happens with R's games for me. It gets a bit long in the tooth.

That's exactly it. As interesting as those central conceits are, I think it would be difficult for even a truly great writer to keep it compelling and well paced for that long. I think it's a game specific problem. The narrative generally tends to come second to gameplay, and balancing that is pretty difficult. I imagine people in general would be fairly upset over a shorter main GTA campaign (they'd probably blame the online component too!).

Most people remember 3 points in the campaign- herding cattle, entering Mexico, and the ending- and conveniently forget that the actual mission design and pacing weren't that great. Like UrbanRats said, it's a ton of "Go here, shoot dudes" errand boy missions. Now while the atmosphere, world design, random events, and dialogue carry their weight, there's a ton of room for improvement in RDR2.
I just played it in the summer due to BC on Xbox One and while you are everyone's bitch there is a bit more of variety in missions than that.

Regarding GTAV: That story was a big letdown in the way it basically starts flailing in all directions halfway through before ending with a whimper, but I also think that was a script thing more than a 3 protagonist thing.

Fully expecting multiple controllable characters in RDR2, and I'm guessing Marston won't be one. Hopefully the campaign is either more focused in order to deliver lots of exciting and dramatic story beats, or more flexible allowing the game to go everywhere without betraying the core narrative.

Man I loved all the ranchhand shit in RDR I was so happy when the game got back to it towards the end, but I'm worried that so many people complained about herding cattle being boring that they'll move away from stuff like that in 2. If there are multiple protagonists in 2 and one of them is just a dude managing a farm/ranch the whole game before like getting drawn into the violence of the other characters towards the end, I would eat that shit up.

Gorillaz

That's exactly it. As interesting as those central conceits are, I think it would be difficult for even a truly great writer to keep it compelling and well paced for that long. I think it's a game specific problem. The narrative generally tends to come second to gameplay, and balancing that is pretty difficult. I imagine people in general would be fairly upset over a shorter main GTA campaign (they'd probably blame the online component too!).

Pretty much. I'll take the too long story over the too short ones. Especially since we don't get GTA's as often as we do now and probably won't see GTA6 till the tail end of the gen at this point.

Fjordson

Man I loved all the ranchhand shit in RDR I was so happy when the game got back to it towards the end, but I'm worried that so many people complained about herding cattle being boring that they'll move away from stuff like that in 2. If there are multiple protagonists in 2 and one of them is just a dude managing a farm/ranch the whole game before like getting drawn into the violence of the other characters towards the end, I would eat that shit up.
Agreed. Can't think of a single section of RDR that didn't work.

Coffinhal

gtav.jpg

people keep forgetting that also the tree densitiy in the gta v trailer was way higher than in the game released. i just want to say dont trust the trailers...even when its rockstar.

The image you linked doesn't say anything, it's a bullshit comparison, same as a bullshot.

Tree density is a detail. There is a optimisation at the end of a game development. Some things approve, other get toned down, but angry gamers tend to remember only the later.

Simo

Looking around some LinkedIn's.. as I do, lol, found this:

https://linkedin.com/in/jmartjmart?trk=sushi_topic_professionals_guest_photo

ZUz8pu8.png

He also doesn't work there since 2014 so it was already in development, which very much adds even more to the credibility of a previously found shanty picture. Wish I had found him earlier, he clearly discriminates between both RDR and RDR2.

Probably gonna get removed soon, so.

Cool find! I wonder though if carriages are consider "vehicles" obviously, among the trains?

Spider-Vice

Neo Member
I guess they probably are. But weren't those controllable in RDR1 too? I'd think he'd have said the same for his RDR1 dev roles. Maybe we'll be driving trains this time around?

Simo

I guess they probably are. But weren't those controllable in RDR1 too? I'd think he'd have said the same for his RDR1 dev roles. Maybe we'll be driving trains this time around?

Yeah but it looks like he could of had a bigger role in RDR's development than the sequel, at least going off of his CV anyway.

UrbanRats

If a train stops and goes dynamically reacting to the world, i figure it'll need AI programming, so it could be just that, regardless of your ability to drive them.
I hope you'll be able to, though.

Simo

I didn't wanna post a new thread for this since its a rumor from someone I have no idea about but according to those in the GTA community the user leaked the last 2 GTA online updates and supposedly works at Rockstar. So this was posted this morning:
https://boards.fireden.net/v/search/tripcode/!CSmUrZluSg /

Basically: RDR2 focus on single player with all the usual stuff from the previous game including Stranger missions, gang hideouts etc except this time with 3 playable protagonists that are from John's old gang and John not being one of them.

RDR Online will launch after the game is released like GTAV/Online.

Bandit1

I didn't wanna post a new thread for this since its a rumor from someone I have no idea about but according to those in the GTA community the user leaked the last 2 GTA online updates and supposedly works at Rockstar. So this was posted this morning:

Basically: RDR2 focus on single player with all the usual stuff from the previous game including Stranger missions, gang hideouts etc except this time with 3 playable protagonists that are from John's old gang and John not being one of them.

Cool find, I guess we'll see how it pans out. I hope Rockstar reveals some characters soon.

Seems plausible. Hope one is a Native American.

Awesome find! Thanks for posting, this is very interesting!

I can't wait for the written previews from IGN.

"and it was at that moment, with the vista in front of me, and the deer I had taken down on my stead, that I came to a chilling realization. Red Dead 2 is more than a video game. It is an experience. An experience that will hang over me for the rest of my life. I walked into Rockstar studio's a reporter, and walked out as something alien, foreign, but good.

Red Dead Redemption 2 releases this Fall and is available for preorder now for $59.99 at select retailers."

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member

I totally agree. And the "shooting" wasn't great at all either imo. If you went into slow-mo it was incredibly easy and if you were in normal motion it was sluggish and didn't capture at all the speed or immediacy of Western movie gunfights.

Cornbread78

I can't wait for the written previews from IGN.

"and it was at that moment, with the vista in front of me, and the deer I had taken down on my stead, that I came to a chilling realization. Red Dead 2 is more than a video game. It is an experience. An experience that will hang over me for the rest of my life. I walked into Rockstar studio's a reporter, and walked out as something alien, foreign, but good.

Red Dead Redemption 2 releases this Fall and is available for preorder now for $59.99 at select retailers."

Lol, well, it's been in production for +/- 3 years now, so I'm sure R* is going all out with it.

Fjordson

Rumour seems plausible.

I remember one of the things that came out of the whole Leslie Benzies lawsuit was that GTA Online as a project was really driven by Benzies and that the Houser brothers are more passionate about single-player. I don't see them making any of Rockstar's big IP's multiplayer-only any time soon.

Basketball

It's coming out Fall 2017, which means it's less than a year out from release. We knew a lot more about GTAV less than a year out from its release.

I don't need any info
It's Red Dead Redemption 2 made by Rockstar games ... that's worth 60 right there

I pretty much didn't nothing about 1 either

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Hopefully that rumour is true. I'm all for a multiplayer mode but I don't want them to ruin Red Dead like they have done to GTA V. A good single player campaign and dlc will be great. Good riddance to Benzies if it means less focus on multiplayer. Gives me hope that GTA VI won't be as bad.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
that rumor sounds great

now onto more pressing moment-to-moment gameplay concerns like how the combat is going to feel and if we still have to tap X to sprint

Auctopus

That reads a lot more like a Polygon article/editorial.

Simo

if we still have to tap X to sprint

You know they had a fix for that in GTAV, right? lol

I hope we get a GI blow out soon. At the earliest RDR2 could be only 9 months away. I read on CNBC financial how Take Two will be making the title and marketing their priority for 2017 and that now would be a great time for anyone wanting to buy in their stock. lol

You know they had a fix for that in GTAV, right? lol

I hope we get a GI blow out soon. At the earliest RDR2 could be only 9 months away. I read on CNBC financial how Take Two will be making the title and marketing their priority for 2017 and that now would be a great time for anyone wanting to buy in their stock. lol
Which was???? I've been playing GTA V/Online for over three years now and the only option I've seen for just holding A/X instead of tapping this is if you're playing with a keyboard on the PC version and holding shift.

Spider-Vice

Neo Member
Still have my doubts whether that's the same R* F***** that posted the GTA Online info or not. I mean, I don't think someone who knows about GTA Online would know about the state of RDR2, I've heard devs usually lock projects from one another to avoid situations like these, but hey he could have several sources, I guess.

Regardless, if what he says is true, I'm assuming it wouldn't be very surprising that we're seeing multiple characters again. And I also believe we're in for a treat beginning in 2017, or who knows if R* will give us an xmas present! :)

Top Bottom