• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Nintendo Switch CPU and GPU clock speeds revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaise

Neo Member
This is Nintendo's plan:
1. Leak "final specs" to one website that is credible
2. Fans/everyone get upset
3a. Show actual specs in January
3b.These specs are the rumored "XBone power"
4. Everyone goes crazy and pre-orders
5. Switch becomes best selling console of all time

Sami+

Did you even read the OP? CPU is clocked the same in both modes.

I'm gonna be honest, I just skipped ahead to see the DBZ translation of what the numbers meant.

I'm not a spec guy at all, but I attempt to follow these threads. I've come to learn that there are some posters that are a pretty safe bet to ignore. Dragonsworne, Malo and a few others don't really know anything tech-wise (though to be fair, most on this forum don't either) and proceed to post in the most hyperbolic, nonsensical fasion ever. A good, real life, analog would be one of those homeless people, that clearly need mental health counseling or some form of institutionalization, on the street corner shouting about the end times. If they're posting, it's best to ignore or have a laugh.

Blu is a good user to follow. He (or she) does a pretty good job at putting tech speak in to layman's terms for people like you and myself.

Yo I appreciate this actually. Thanks homie. ✌️

LordKano

I just hope they are not graphically imparing the PS4 version of DQXI and other upcoming games so that it also runs great on the Switch with just minor graphical losses. :/
Had hoped cross gen was a thing of the past.

Have you seen the DQXI PS4 version ? I wouldn't say that it looks graphically amputed at all. I really can't wait to see how the Switch version looks like.

PS3 got Skyrim.

3DS is getting DQXI.

What facts are you talking about exactly?

We're talking about the Skyrim special edition and the UE4 version of DQXI, the two versions that the Switch will get.

Will the low gpu clock frequency lead to excellent battery times, or are we in the territory of diminishing returns with such a massive downclock?
Depends on how big the batter is in the Switch and how much power the chip uses. It being based on the TX1 20nm or 28nm? means it's not on cutting endge manufacturing node that would use significantly less power for the same level of performance.

The low clocks makes it seem like they did what they did to meet their mobile goals. I would hope it matches the 3ds. gonna have to wait and see

Oregano

Vita was downclocked so dramatically for (likely) the same reason Switch is. Battery drain. Neither is pushing thermal envelopes even if they were higher clocked, the issue is getting 3+ hours out of them.

Vita has slightly better battery life than the 3Ds and better than the rumoured Switch battery life(which is to be expected due to the lack of fan).

orioto

Good Art™
Now if it's confirmed that it's a really really low power console..

Man Nintendo may be fucked with the way they present things here, and the project itself.

I'd be ok to call it a portable, and that's still a great update for that, except.. It's not really discussed enough but that form factor is crappy for a portable. I mean a portable that you take out.

I don't see a japanese kid having this. It's not about tiny hands or anything. It's that nds and 3ds looked more toyish, more kid friendly. Imagine a kid taking the 3ds with him to school. Now, picture the same kid taking that 7"+ techy thing. It's not the same thing, at all. I mean look at what are the nds and 3ds, in term of how they are designed ok. Now look at teh switch. It has ZERO things in common. It's way bigger, doesn't have the clamshell design, doesn't protect its screen, has different detachable (thus breakable, losable) pieces. Look at a 3ds and a switch.. They are entirely different product, entirely. So who knows how well it will comfortably upgrade a 10 years market based on nds form factor...

All i'm saying is there is a risk here. if they don't release a Switch mini sometimes, that they weaken their main revenue source while achieving nothing on the console front.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Wii U got a solid 1st party commitment and that seems to be parlaying directly to their hybrid. Compared to other hardware exits it's pretty seamless and smart.

I don't agree on solid 1st party output on Wii U. Few games, far apart, many poor ones included. Most of the good games were sequels to Wii titles rather than new or fresh ideas. The best games are 2nd party titles of which there were far too few. It has some good games for sure but spread over the lifetime of the system the gaps in software are massive. This is subjective of course, others would disagree and that's totally fine.

For me though Nintendo need to put out drastically more quality software this time. Honestly I felt like they left the Wii U to die extremely quickly. Zelda didn't even make it before they released their next system! No one could've predicted that in the pre-launch hype of the Wii U.

Alienous

But again, third party support for their devices has been shit for generations now.

I don't really know why anyone thought that this console was going to be a powerhouse. All indications suggested the opposite.

You don't really know why people might think Nintendo would make the effort to rectify a problem that sunk their previous console?

I expected otherwise but I can understand why someone would think they wouldn't make the same mistake again.

This is Nintendo's plan:

This.

Definitely not this. Every god damn time.

Maxim726X

A little disappointed. As I was expecting 300-500(docked). But I'll manage. It looks to match the wiiu in portable, and double it when docked. And completely demolishes the 3ds, which I loved. :3

Two things that I hope for:

Every game should be developed with the handheld performance in mind. I don't want to have a severely degraded experience by devs focusing on the docked version.

Price, please be $199. I really can't justify paying $300.

Honestly the power of the Switch matters little to me. That being said- If it's only capable of being in portable mode for a few hours before the battery dies, that's a real problem.

It's clear that their strategy was to consolidate their mobile and console development on one machine, and that's a great idea (IMO), but if the battery life is trash then it really detracts from the appeal.

You don't really know why people might think Nintendo would make the effort to rectify a problem that sunk their previous console?

I expected otherwise but I can understand why someone would think they wouldn't make the same mistake again.

Because it didn't sink the Wii. At all. You're talking about this like they've learned their lesson- They've made technologically inferior consoles for generations now. Clearly they don't see the utility in trying to compete with Sony and MS at this point. Japan has largely moved on, maybe they're trying too as well.

Nintendo seems to think that they just need the right gimmick to get people back on board. On paper, the idea is great. We'll see how the execute it.

phanphare

Banned
Ok, but Nintendo loyal fanbase isnt enought to keep a console afloat. No fanbase alone can. This will be Nintendo's only hardware and the biggest revenue source for the next years.

They need to attract a lot more than just their fanbase to the console.

Isnt that why Wii is considered a commercial sucess and Wii U, N64 and Gamecube not?

see: the first post you quoted

But why downclock the GPU so heavily in docked mode? Can anyone come up with a reason why that would be a good thing?

Probably to keep development as simple as possible under the circumstances and not make the handheld versions feel excessively gimped as a consequence of giving devs two disparate modes. Whatever they have chosen for handheld mode dictates everything.

Yarbskoo

I feel like we go through this for every Nintendo console. I don't think a console on the same level as Xbox One or PS4 was ever a possibility.

The Hermit

This is Nintendo's plan:

Oh

Sweet summer child.

You are in denial. The specs are probably real, but what matters is how they use them.

Persona7

Banned
This is Nintendo's plan:

If anything the specs will turn out worse than currently reported.

nkarafo

More like 720p vs 1080p with possibly a bit better details for Nintendo games. No clue about tp.

Resolution is the simpler, since an increased frame rate is going to use more CPU resources, and that's something that apparently doesn't change when docked.

I guess that makes more sense. Although i was hoping for a 3DS like situation where some games would run at 60fps when the 3D was off.

Steph_E.

there is only one explanation to this: they once again backpedaled from their initial targets (as already happened with the 3DS, for some reasons, and for the Wii U, for other reasons).

very disappointed, especially because NOW their utopya of positioning the Switch as a home console is ridicolous.

we'll discover it ASAP, because the supposed third party games from western markets will disappear, as they did with the Wii U after the initial ones already developed.

This does seem to be the case, all the supposed leaks we have had have suggested something more powerful. When I first heard the Eurogamer leak of a hybrid machine my heart sank (being a console only gamer), but subsequent tidbits got my hopes up somewhat, only to be dashed once more.

If this is what Nintendo think their new home console should be (at least according to their PR), then I am lost for words...

Elios83

So basically the handheld is a portable Wii U and something a bit more powerful when docked to support higher output resolutions.

Yeah, it's getting Skyrim remastered, Dragon Quest XI and so on. It can't be a portable Wii U, facts are denying that.

We have not seen a single screen from those games.
Skyrim runs on the PS3 as well.
Same thing for DQXI, between the 3DS version and the PS4 version there are a lot of things in between.

But again, third party support for their devices has been shit for generations now.

I don't really know why anyone thought that this console was going to be a powerhouse. All indications suggested the opposite.

there was a visible reaction and swift rejection of the suggestion this would be Maxwell from the Nintendo hardcore. It's fair to say that not everyone was willing to accept that once again the new Nintendo system would be that behind. Well, here we are again.

It will be instant replay from the last 2 gens, so if you want to play 3rd party games, you better get an XBox, PS or PC.

Ok, but Nintendo loyal fanbase isnt enought to keep a console afloat. No fanbase alone can. This will be Nintendo's only hardware and the biggest revenue source for the next years.

Isnt that why Wii is considered a commercial sucess and Wii U, N64 and Gamecube not?

Yes, they need to attract more than their core fanbase, but plenty of other people love Nintendo as well. And Switch can appeal to them with the right price and the right software.

Basically. The discussions become incredibly toxic, and it isn't really possible to avoid only these topics because people's moods about this stuff seeps into every god damn discussion about everything Switch-related.

Watch 90% of discussions until around six months after launch be about the system's specs and performance, or lack thereof.

Nintendo hasn't made any serious effort to target the Sony/MS demographic since the N64 era, but hey, let's just keep pretending that hardware performance is the only thing keeping Switch from getting every AAA third-party game. *drinks heavily*

I will never understand why it's so damn hard for so many Nintendo fans to accept that they should just buy another platform for third-party support. It's not like this is a new development.

AmyS

Welp, I'm hoping that Switch 2 / Super Switch / New Switch or whatever in a few years can use Nvidia's Volta architecture / 512 gpu cores, 8 CPU cores (like their Xavier SoC) and significantly higher clockspeeds undocked (and docked) on 16nm FF+

Anth0ny

this is nintendo's plan

1. release a bunch of nintendo games on weak hardware
2. not have gta, ea sports or the games people actually care about
3. switch sells n64 numbers at best thanks mainly to pokemon

Hatty

3DS Is doing fine, I'd imagine the switch would carry over most of the support the 3DS got.
Also Pokémon

Because Nintendo tends to be their own worst enemy.

Glad to see you back!

Zoon

Nvidia Flops brings the 393 GFLOPS to 512 AMD equivalent (4:3 ratio in favour of Nvidia) roughly. Theoretical FP16 would mean 1024 GFLOPS or 1 TFLOP, but in practice getting even 25% boost over FP32-only should be hard to achieve.
So 500-600gflops seems a safe bet unless there is an increase in cores.

ASIS

This is Nintendo's plan:

I see we entered the bargaining stage.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I guess that makes more sense. Although i was hoping for a 3DS like situation where some games would run at 60fps when the 3D was off.

It's not impossible but I agree with the other posters it's probably unlikely. In fact, as you said some titles did that on the 3DS, very few. Probably about the same situation here in terms of massive frame rate jumps. In both cases the CPU clocks don't change and for many games that will mean the frame rate will be bottle necked by the CPU before the GPU anyway.

Have you seen the DQXI PS4 version ? I wouldn't say that it looks graphically amputed at all. I really can't wait to see how the Switch version looks like.

We're talking about the Skyrim special edition and the UE4 version of DQXI, the two versions that the Switch will get.

Who said that?, and we're talking about a game running on a 1.8Gflops machine being ported to a 0.159Gflops console. The difference is big enough that the devs may choose porting the 3DS with extra effects and res.

Drackhorn

To be fair here, this console isn't trying to compete with the PS4s and XBones of the world- It's supposed to fill a specific niche.

It's going to play Nintendo games, probably very well. That's all people care about.
I just don't understand that after WiiU they willingly would go for niche.

QaaQer

LKD has said this since Eurogamers article went up

capturet3ovi.png

capture328qnw.png

capture2sdun9.png

Which doesn't make sense if the system features a standard CUDA core count.

So are there going to be 'dock only' games? If so, then ports should be fine and that would make the 'homeconsole first' thing more understandable.

Otnopolit

From being cool with performance isn't a measure of something good.

Edit: and as with every Nintendo console since the GC the Switch will be technically lacking (which mostly affects third party ports) and more expensive than people hope for. I don't get why people are surprised by this still. Just look at the 3DS and WiiU rumor threads, it's the same discussions repeating.

I agree, especially coming From them. But it's the only piece of information we have from a developer on Switch regarding performance right now. I weren't there for those threads, is this worse than those?

Kssio_Aug

Stronger hardware won't necessarily attract new players. I believe people wanting to play multiplaform games have already acquired a PS4/XB1/PC. Of course I'm not saying that 3rd party support won't help Switch a ton (it definitely would), but I don't think some people are looking at the right direction here...

N64 and NGC were powerful consoles and a failure in sales department. Wii had shitty hardware but was an extremely successful home console. 3DS specs are worse than a fart, yet it's undoubtedly a great handheld and still sells pretty well till this date. Vita had awesome specs and Playstation name, who could tell it would fail so much?

I'm not sure if stronger hardware would help Nintendo more than a nice price tag and convincing people that Switch is a new and good idea for people who are looking forward to play more Nintendo games. And they're feeding that will with their recent smartphone releases.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
This is Nintendo's plan:

Nintendo fan delusionnal 6 states:

1.Get excited over next console, with crazy high expectations
2.Dismiss most reliable rumors about the console being underpowered
3Start to negociates and thinks that it is all part of a big plan to surprise everyone"Nintendo manipulating the press"
4.Nintendo never confirms specs
5.Multiples website confirm how underpower next nintendo console is
6.Close eyes hands on the ears screaming and not hearing how everyone confirms it's underpowered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom