• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was talking with a friend of mine earlier and our convo lead me to ask you guys this....where does the Switch build up and eventual launch rank all time for you as far as the hype meter goes?

I mean I know we (gaming in general) get hyped for just about everything nowadays but genuinely where does this land for you personally?

For me, I haven't been this truly excited for anything gaming wise...hardware, software, etc. since probably the reveal of the Wii and maybe since the PS2 launch.

This console has the potential to be a realization of something I've dreamt about and always wanted...not to mention where I'm at as a gamer it suits me perfectly. I do pre-order a lot of stuff but I'm 100% ready to go all in and drop a shit ton of $$$ on it and games right at launch.

So I'm just curious, where does it land for you?
Most hyped presentation ever for me because of the potential.
The Wii U was one of my most favorite hardware from Nintendo because of being able to play games on the controller. You couldn't take it far from the console though. Fixed for Switch. The Wii U had great games but not enough and too many droughts. Fixed probably for Switch. The Wii U had a lackluster CPU. Fixed for Switch. The Wii U had Splatoon but you couldn't play on the controller. Fixed for Switch.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Also, holy shit Nintendo's Developer Program is open as hell.

As long as you can afford the devkit, you can develop for Nintendo, no matter who you are, how big you are, or where you are.

Do I need to be of legal age to register?
Yes. Unfortunately, minors cannot register for the Nintendo Developer Portal.

Do I have to be a company or have a certain level of development experience?
No, the Nintendo Developer Portal is for anyone interested in developing software for Nintendo platforms. No prior development experience is required.

How does publishing my content on the Nintendo eShop work? Who gets to control the price, release date and promotional materials?
As the developer, the price, release date and content are all set by you.

Is this Nintendo’s indie developer program?
No, this is Nintendo’s one and only developer program. The Nintendo Developer Portal is for all Nintendo developers regardless of their size or experience.

How much does it cost to develop on Nintendo platforms?
Registering for the portal and downloading the tools is completely free, and if you’re releasing a digital title you can use the IARC system for age rating for no fee. All that’s left is the cost of acquiring development hardware which you can find out about inside of the portal.

Can I use this portal to release a physical product or is this just for digital titles?
Yes, this is Nintendo’s one and only developer program, if you’re interested in retail publishing then you’re in the right place too.

Can I work from home?
Yes, we accept home offices, you don’t need a business address.

How do I obtain Unity for Wii U/New Nintendo 3DS?
After registering for the portal, the Unity middleware can be downloaded from the website free of charge, see Getting Started within the portal for more information on Unity for Wii U and New Nintendo 3DS.

As long as you can afford the devkit, you can develop for Nintendo, no matter who you are, how big you are, or where you are.

Wait hold up is this really Nintendo.

The fuck.

sarcasm intended

antonz

It has been that way for some time. Nintendo has no interest in making things hard anymore.

That said In the initial window of release You do not get a devkit unless you are somebody with a track record.

EDarkness

Yep. That's how my poor ass got to get a Wii U dev kit. Still gotta follow the rules, though. Some people have a problem with that. Heh, heh.

That said In the initial window of release You do not get a devkit unless you are somebody with a track record.

This is true, too. Gotta be invited to the party to get in at the ground floor. It's times like this I wish I was able to get my game out last year like I wanted.

antibolo

Banned

Uh that's not a minor detail.

Sony has been known to waive the devkit fees for indie developers. Would Nintendo be ready to do the same? (maybe they're also doing it already, I dunno)

Uh that's not a minor detail.

Sony has been known to waive the devkit fees for indie developers. Would Nintendo be ready to do the same? (maybe they're also doing it already, I dunno)

They did waive the first year for the Wii U devkits. After the year finished, the dev can ship the dev kit back at no cost. Even then, I don't believe the dev kit was ridiculously expensive

J@hranimo

Banned
I'm curious, what do you guys think will happen if the Switch bombs like the Wii U?

Hmm, I guess work on the next handheld only successor. Really can't see it failing, especially since they've united their dev teams. I know it's a hypothetical question but yeah.

antibolo

Banned
I'm curious, what do you guys think will happen if the Switch bombs like the Wii U?

New New 3DS.

But seriously if it has mainline Pokémon and Monster Hunter then it's guaranteed to be at least profitable from the Japanese market alone. The Wii U had none of those safety nets (it had a Monster Hunter but the Japanese audience doesn't care about MH on a home console).

Mariolee

Geoff Keighley ‏@geoffkeighley 2h2 hours ago
"It's not the same game Geoff.
It's not the same content."

Good times. Good times.

iBlue

Super exited for Switch news

i hope Nintendo gives us a sort of discount to the ones who bought their games digitals like Half a price of something for the switch version

_Clash_

So I was talking with a friend of mine earlier and our convo lead me to ask you guys this....where does the Switch build up and eventual launch rank all time for you as far as the hype meter goes?

I mean I know we (gaming in general) get hyped for just about everything nowadays but genuinely where does this land for you personally?

For me, I haven't been this truly excited for anything gaming wise...hardware, software, etc. since probably the reveal of the Wii and maybe since the PS2 launch.

This console has the potential to be a realization of something I've dreamt about and always wanted...not to mention where I'm at as a gamer it suits me perfectly. I do pre-order a lot of stuff but I'm 100% ready to go all in and drop a shit ton of $$$ on it and games right at launch.

Having seen a few it's particularly high for me, because the stakes are massive for Nintendo and they have been quiet for over 2 years.

Steiner

Banned

I don't think I've been this hyped since the lead up to the launch of the Dreamcast. That was my most hyped hardware launch. I daydreamed as a kid almost constantly about holding the controller and playing it... DC is still my all time favorite console.

I'm getting huge spikes of hype for the Switch, though. It's just so exciting that Nintendo is finally doing something different AND smart. And I love handheld gaming very much so... This is huge for me.

Kinsei

Banned

It's pretty damn high for me. The potential of a system that gets the full focus of Nintendo instead of it being split between a console and handheld has the potential to be really special.

NateDrake

I just hope everybody keeps their expectations in check, you can't be disappointed if you have zero expectations.

While the presentation will be exciting, the real fun begins with the Treehouse Live content in the morning. Even if the presentation lets people down, I suspect the Treehouse segment will lift spirits.

I just hope everybody keeps their expectations in check, you can't be disappointed if you have zero expectations.

My expectation is that this is the 3DS successor rather than the WiiU successor and that it will be of similar power to WiiU with a batterylife similar to 3DS. Is this too much to ask?

Zalman

I'm expecting to be satisfied with what they actually show, but I'm slightly worried about the format of the presentation itself, with it being in Japan.

javadoze

If I'm only basing my expectations strictly on stuff shown in the Switch reveal trailer, then that's still a lot for me to be excited about.

Speely

Banned
Torment curve ball for launch would be really really great

As much as I would love this, no way. We are lucky to be getting the ostensibly-functioning game on even one platform as it is.

I know I sound negative. Torment is my most anticipated game of 2017, but we have to be realistic here.

Neoxon

This all day. LKD and Eurogamer obviously have some Ubi sources.

That's been pretty much it. I think there will be some surprises on the 12th.
The problem is that we may not get a whole lot from other third parties at the event (as much as I would love MvCI to come to the Switch, I'm not getting my hopes up). And the potentially most exciting part of the presentation, Nintendo's games, may have mostly been leaked (with maybe two or three remaining surprises).

TDLink

My main concern is that most of the surprises may have already been spoiled.

I really don't think we know much. Most of what we know are what Wii U ports are coming (but not details of what's being added for each) and Ubisoft software (but not really knowing what those are like either).

We haven't seen more than 15 seconds of the new Mario. We don't know what new games Nintendo will be bringing to the system other than Mario and Zelda (and you can bet there will be some). We also don't know what Retro has been working on and what the alleged new IP is.

We don't know any of the third party stuff for sure out of Ubisoft other than Skyrim and Dragon Quest 11.

There's clearly going to be a ton of surprises still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom