• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Stream Predictions

Red Fire

directly_thumb.jpg

- Direct is hosted exclusively by Hideki Kamiya
- The Wonderful 102 is announced, coming at launch. Kamiya and his team reveal they've just stepped out of the Hyperbolic Time Chamber and have been working on it for three years while only a few minutes of real time has passed
- It's so goddamn fucking sick that nobody even sees the rest of the Direct because they're too busy running around screaming.
- The trailer ends with each individual Wonderful One becoming leader of a planet, then all those planets combine into a giant Megazord to fight a galaxy-sized boss. GAF complains that Platinum spoiled the final boss in the trailer; it turns out it was only the first miniboss of the game.

PLS LET IT BE THIS
GOAT

directly_thumb.jpg

- Direct is hosted exclusively by Hideki Kamiya
- The Wonderful 102 is announced, coming at launch. Kamiya and his team reveal they've just stepped out of the Hyperbolic Time Chamber and have been working on it for three years while only a few minutes of real time has passed
- It's so goddamn fucking sick that nobody even sees the rest of the Direct because they're too busy running around screaming.
- The trailer ends with each individual Wonderful One becoming leader of a planet, then all those planets combine into a giant Megazord to fight a galaxy-sized boss. GAF complains that Platinum spoiled the final boss in the trailer; it turns out it was only the first miniboss of the game.

Reminds me I can't wait for whatever Kamiya is doing after Scalebound.

Trevelyan

Banned
Just predicting first party Nintendo games:

Breath of the Wild is obvious, will be ready for launch
Splatoon Remixed(1.5) at launch
Mario Kart 8.5 in late April
Mario Sports Superstars in May
New Nintendo-like IP(think more Animal Crossing and Splatoon, so internally developed)
Pikmin 4/reboot for Autumn
Retro's new game(not a new IP)
Mario Switch
Super Smash Bros for Switch
XCX remaster with a teaser for a new XC games
Luigi's Mansion 3 from NLG

Edit: I'd really, really love for a new AC to be there, but I just don't see that happening this year. I feel Nintendo's biggest IPs currently are MK, SSB, Mario, Zelda and AC. They'd have 4 of those within the first 9 months, presumably. I think it'd be wiser for them to hold onto AC until next spring, maybe May, and announce it at this E3.

13ruce

Banned
Snake in Smash.
Snake in Zelda.
Snake in Mario Kart.
Snake in Animal Crossing.
Snake in Pokemon Stars.

Seriously tho:
New Zelda Breath of the Wild trailer and Gameplay on the Switch game will release world wide or close to it but not a huge delay in eu mostly a few days or a week.

New Mario 3D game reveal it's got a unique style and it looks like it could be close to the Galaxy games in quality.

That Mario Rabbits RPG game.

Skyrim Switch.

Mario Kart Switch it's the same as Mario Kart 8 but with a new mechanic those 2 items and a bunch of new and old tracks all wii u tracks and dlc tracks are included. So it has like 50+ tracks in total wich is very cool.

Spaltoon Switch, More singleplayer and multiplayer content octolings are playable.

Hyrule Warriors Ultimate edition, all 3DS and Wii U content and new content included.

Pikmin 4.

Super Smash Bros Switch edition, All 3DS and Wii U content plus adventure mode making a come back.

Animal Crossing Switch, it's been a while already time for a new one:p

Retro's game.

And a bunch of third party games and a few other Nintendo titles.

Zoon

More of a personal hope than a prediction:
1) More new games than ports
2) Free online
3) No more than 250€

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I predict I'll come away disappointed as:

-It focuses most game attention on Zelda, Mario and the Wii U ports, none of which I'm really excited for.

-It ends up being $300 for a non-gimped internal storage wise sku, which is more than I'm willing to pay for a third platform that would see 5-10% of my gaming time.

Linkified

• Very dry presentation - presentation more of an investors conference not entertainment style big E3 press conference
  • Announcement of two SKUs - Basic and Premium, Premium contains the TV dock and a game based on region(America -Splatoon, Japan - Splatoon, PAL - Mario Kart)
  • Announcement of major collaborations - Ubisoft, Namco, Sega, Capcom.
  • Nintendo announces over 20 ports of Wii and Wii U titles coming to the Switch over the next year.
  • The online system has a major flaw - you can't add friends from another region.
  • Switch is announced as region free - but you need to set the area on the Switch, after 3 it locks the switch to that region.

• Very dry presentation - presentation more of an investors conference not entertainment style big E3 press conference
  • Announcement of two SKUs - Basic and Premium, Premium contains the TV dock and a game based on region(America -Splatoon, Japan - Splatoon, PAL - Mario Kart)
  • Nintendo announces over 20 ports of Wii and Wii U titles coming to the Switch over the next year.
  • The online system has a major flaw - you can't add friends from another region.
  • Switch is announced as region free - but you need to set the area on the Switch, after 3 it looks the switch to that region.

Oh God I can see this happening.

psyfi

Banned
  • Switch is announced as region free - but you need to set the area on the Switch, after 3 it looks the switch to that region.
Dude, what? lmao

Do you know something?

Last I had heard, which might have changed because it was like last summer, the Switch is region free for games and accounts, but

At the time, I was told you can't have multiple accounts on it that are from different regions. That is to say, yes your copy of SMT5 works on your US Switch regardless of your account, but if you're using a US account on that Switch, you can't access the Japanese store to download its DLC.

Who knows if this has changed or not. I remember thinking it was real dumb at the time.

NeonBlack

They will show BOTW and everyone else will be disappointed they didn't see F-Zero Forever, Metroid: A New Frontier, and Mario Galaxy 3.

And the dock is region locked.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Last I had heard, which might have changed because it was like last summer, the Switch is region free for games and accounts, but

At the time, I was told you can't have multiple accounts on it that are from different regions. That is to say, yes your copy of SMT5 works on your US Switch regardless of your account, but if you're using a US account on that Switch, you can't access the Japanese store to download its DLC.

Who knows if this has changed or not. I remember thinking it was real dumb at the time.

That's a start, at least.

If that's true, that would make it like the Vita which was annoying as hell.

Just let me have a bunch of accounts on the system and be done with it.

I can't see nintendo going all in on region free. That account thing sounds like a nintendo thing. Region free yes but can't figure out how to mesh multiple accounts with each other so fuck that. Lol.

-We see Mario, Zelda, Splatoon, Kart, Skyrim, Sports games, Rabbids, and 1-3 ports.
-One non-Ubisoft company will have a whole new IP.
-There will be working title reveals for Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Pikmin, and Kid Icarus but no gameplay.
-Virtual Console montage complete with Gamecube games announcement
-Smash gets shown with a 'New Challenger Approaches' tease featuring Ice Climbers OR if we get a surprise Metroid reveal, Ridley

specdot

The fact that Nintendo hasn't announced anything for the Wii U even before the switch was a known quantity has me thinking that all the games planned for the Wii U have now all moved to the Switch (safe bet, I know). I'm thinking this reveal is going to be full of first party game announcements.

I'm praying for Mario gameplay.

Zelda will be there for sure.

Maybe some surprise by Square?

I just need like three or four solid reasons to sell me over completely.

$199 base model, possible $249 deluxe model w/ game.

AniHawk

format:

roughly one hour, with a little room to go over since this is a live event. kicks off with a small sizzle reel.

hardware:

additional hardware features are explained, maybe philosophy of the platform. multitouch screen, next-gen rumble tech and motion control in the joycons, maybe battery life.

account:

ties in with my nintendo and the nintendo account that already exists. mobile games will be playable on switch. you will also be able to download games to your account/switch from your pc. one account future is finally here, but it's also a fresh start for eshop/virtual console again. subscription version might exist, with multiplayer going behind a paywall (i think this is doubtful though). this is where they might announce/showcase mother 3 as an 'example' of the games you can buy on the new virtual console.

first-party software:

focus is on year one, which means through holiday 2017. games i expect to see:

1. 3d mario platformer
2. mario kart
3. splatoon
4. breath of the wild
5. super smash bros. for nintendo switch
6. pikmin
7. new multiplayer ip/bundle game like wii sports or nintendoland
8. pokemon stars
9. possibly retro's new title
10. pokken tournament

third-party software:

focus is on exclusive games or stuff that hasn't been on nintendo platforms in a while or ever. release dates should be launch through the holiday, but some titles further off might be shown here too.

1. mario x rabbids rpg
2. beyond good & evil 2
3. skyrim
4. nis's game
5. dragon quest xi
6. monster hunter 5
7. sonic the hedgehog 2017
8. sizzle reel of western stuff (madden/fifa/nba2k)
9. sizzle reel of indie stuff (bloodstained/stardew valley/undertale)

price:

$299.99/299.99 eur/30,000 yen. comes packed in with aforementioned bundle game/new party game ip.

other:

miis are dead, miiverse is dead, streetpass is dead - focus is entirely on the more generalized account stuff.

Plum

That'd be extremely bizarre considering Miis are still being used in Miitomo and MyNintendo.

This. Miis are the least "toxic" thing about the Wii brand; I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo used them again for the Switch. I'm not expecting something like the Mii Plaza though, just a Mii Maker and avatars.

dyergram

1) No specs, no discussion of power at all
2) Big focus on Zelda
3) Official Announcement of MK8 and Splatoon ports, both framed like they're not ports (but they are)
4) Tiny bit more of Mario
5) Beyond Good and Evil 2 is the only third party game officially announced. No Skyrim.
6) List of partners shown with lots of logos of people who have expressed interest
7) Price is a bit too high
8) IR pointer is confirmed
Don't forget slightly more expensive in Europe and confusing hardware bundles.

Jaymageck

• Switch is announced as region free - but you need to set the area on the Switch, after 3 it locks the switch to that region.

I like the cut of your jib.

BumRush

Outside the box prediction: online will cost $50 per year, but you will get 3 virtual console games (per year) with a membership.

Linkified

Don't see why that'd happen when you can add out-of-region friends now and play with them.

You add them as friend codes - this is Nintendo we are talking about here even if DeNa is doing the heavy lifting of an accounting system - they'll use that as a reason of level of protection for people.

sphinx

the piano man
they really really really can't do this man . xD

I may very well be wrong but my bet is that the very first second Switch stuff is being sold in stores, eveything and anything WiiU disappears from the face of earth

onionfrog

This would be a very nintendo-esque way to fuck up region free functionality.
...So I could see it happening

JB2448

You add them as friend codes - this is Nintendo we are talking about here even if DeNa is doing the heavy lifting of an accounting system - they'll use that as a reason of level of protection for people.
Predators can only exist outside of your region. Got it.

I swear, some of the pessimistic predictions here are being made just for pessimism's sake.

I can see the region locked storefronts and account limit (a la PS Vita). That seems like something that Nintendo would do. Not being able to add friends outside of your region (which you can already do with Nintendo Network IDs on Wii U)? That's ridiculous.

Edit:
1. Presentation happens
2. People complain
The only right answer.

First Party
  • Breath of the Wild is indeed a launch title, in NA. EU is delayed 1-2 weeks. Please understand.
  • Mario Switch is very similar to 3D World; Wario appears as a character this time.
  • Splatoon is not quite a sequel, but is a massively updated port. Octolings are finally playable.
  • Smash is shown; at least one newcomer will be revealed.
  • Mario Kart is MK8 with 4 additional cups, more characters, and classic Battle Mode. Called Mario Kart Infinite and will be updated for the Switch's lifespan.
  • A bizarre new IP, even stranger than Splatoon is revealed.
  • Pikmin 4 is revealed.
  • Pokemon Stars is not mentioned.
  • A brief sizzle reel teases games to be elaborated on during the Treehouse stream.
  • MOTHER 3
  • Rabbids Kingdom Battle is revealed to little applause.
  • New Mario Strikers revealed; gritty Rosalina quickly proves a fan favorite.

Third Party
  • Skyrim Remastered is confirmed, obviously. Launch day.
  • Sonic Mania is confirmed; Project 2017 gets a new teaser.
  • Monster Hunter is shown in some capacity.
  • Marvel VS Capcom Infinite shown off; one new Marvel and one new Capcom fighter revealed.
  • Tecmo shows off a new Nintendo-themed Warriors game. Fire Emblem?
  • Tekken 7.
  • Dark Souls Trilogy confirmed.
  • Dragon Quest incoming.
  • Indie sizzle reel that contains conspicuous UNDERTALE footage, with no comment on Nintendo's part.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
$249.99 with Splatoon 1.5 included

First party Launch Games are Zelda, Mario, and Wave Race.

First parts titles before the end of 2017:

Pokemon
Smash 4.5
Mario Kart 9
Fire Emblem Warriors
Mario RPG
Mario Maker
Retro Studios New IP
Luigis Mansion 3
Mother 3

Random 3rd party predictions
Bayo 3 is in development