• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound cancelled [Platinum Games and Kamiya have commented]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I imagine this will be an issue for Platinum.

1.) They have over 200 staff, presumably at least half of which were making Scalebound.
2.) Nier Automata is about to go gold, and Yoko Taro makes it sound like it's not going into sequel mode right away.
3.) Activision killed off their licensed game division, so that's not an option anymore.
4.) They have the Gran Blue Fantasy project and Lost Order, but I'm assuming that was going to take on Nier's staff given Kamiya wasn't attached to it.

Now they need to get a project from someone on a short turnaround for a ton of staff in an era where that kind of thing is pretty hard to do, and they were struggling to get contracts even when that was less true.

Damn. I may have disliked the main character and a bunch of other stuff but it was one of the very, very few Xbox exclusives I have interest in.

Flying dragons and hack and slash combat still looked awesome.

First the mess of Recore and now this?

I have bad feelings about any first-party games that aren't Halo, Gears or Forza.

Crazy that Kamiya could lose 3.5 years of work.

Jarmel

Banned
Why did Microsoft announce these games? Fable Legends, Scalebound, Phantom Dust...There's clearly a problem here.

The only game that should be laid at Microsoft's feet is Phantom Dust, in that Microsoft was being too cheap. Both Fable Legends and Scalebound looked bad (although Scalebound had promise). They should have canned Legends earlier and Scalebound seems like it was Platinum fucking up.

Vamphuntr

It always had bizarre showings outside of the initial gameplay reveal. At first it seemed like a third person action RPG then it switched to some multiplayer arena hunting game. MS doesn't seem to like playing around with development issues.

I was wondering in another thread how much money they threw at Scalebound since it's been on development for so long.

higemaru

scaleboundchznd.png

Ninja'd, but still, shows a lot about GAF I guess
We really care about Scalebound even if we don't show it.

I'd hope this doesn't get cancelled because it always seemed like a cool concept but I was always underwhelmed by its showings at E3. I was hoping they would be able to pull it together.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Literally the only Platinum game I can think of in the past year or two that doesn't seem like a "paying the rent" game is Automata.
Scalebound looked a shit ton more ambitious at the very least in terms of graphical fidelity.

KooopaKid

Banned
Yea, heard it's been canned. Super rough development, milestones missed, payments stopped. Kamiya stressed as hell.

Ouch. Feels bad for Kamiya and Platinum. What happened?
Not used to engines outside of theirs? Weak game design?
Or the online portion just didn't work? (It was a bad idea IMO).
Such a waste.

Really disappointing if true. Even if marketing has no faith in it (i.e. MS doesn't want to spend money it feels has no return) they should still release it as a lower key release like Sony is doing Gravity Rush 2 in the west, and Nintendo did with Fatal Frame 5 and Tokyo Mirage Sessions in the west.

Do we know if Microsoft has the IP rights? They didn't with D4 and Sunset Overdrive, but if they do I wonder if what's happened is that the IP rights have been sold back to Platinum and it'll now be multiplatform. What are the chances? We know Press Play's successor, Flashbulb Games, bought back IP rights of Max and Kalimba after they were shut down by Microsoft last year.

I imagine this will be an issue for Platinum.

1.) They have over 200 staff, presumably at least half of which were making Scalebound.
2.) Nier Automata is about to go gold, and Yoko Taro makes it sound like it's not going into sequel mode right away.
3.) Activision killed off their licensed game division, so that's not an option anymore.
4.) They have the Gran Blue Fantasy project and Lost Order, but I'm assuming that was going to take on Nier's staff given Kamiya wasn't attached to it.

Now they need to get a project from someone on a short turnaround for a ton of staff in an era where that kind of thing is pretty hard to do, and they were struggling to get contracts even when that was less true.

giphy.gif

If PG dies, my heart could not take it.

Mother f..... Was just saying about slow news day.

This is the wrong kind of news for me. Literally bought Xbox 1 for this (thank God it was only 125$)

LordKasual

Banned
Come on square! Pick it up!

....this game is doomed.

Why does Platinum always have such trouble getting their shit out? I wonder what the issue is.

It's not as though they're known for bad titles. Is it appeal? Marketing? Maybe it's a management issue?

spekkeh

Banned
Microsoft probably figured they have enough goodwill between Xbox One S and Scorpio, so they can start killing off all their more risky projects again.

Rootbeer

Banned
the last live demo they showed was so incredibly bad... the game needed a huge amount of retooling. guess the question is rather MS decided to double down and fix the game, or just walk away from it...

I will say, this looks really bad for MS when Sony is about to release their own much-anticipated RPG Zero Dawn which looks A-M-A-Z-I-N-G... MS can't seem to get the talent together to properly compete... really putting me off from ever buying an xbox. I've held off this long.

This is shocking... Platinum always came off as the guys so capable of making a good game on a smaller budget on time that they should be the ones you CALL to rescue a project like this, not the ones to bungle it.

I'm way more willing to give Kamiya and co. the benefit of the doubt than MS, that's for sure.

Stormlands, Phantom Dust, now Scalebound... Except for Killer Instinct MS managed to can every one of their exclusives I was interested in.

Not to mention a total of 3-4 closed studios last year by MS alone.

Are people here really blaming MS if true?

Game isnt coming together and we've seen the weird ass demos that kinda prove it. Thats not MS's fault.

It also doesnt mean MS didnt say "this shit aint working but lets do something ELSE"

And yeah this game looked like it had trouble running on an xbox one, its not gonna run on the switch lol

Of course I blame Microsoft. Look at the list of cancelled games and closed studios.

Fuck MS if true. I'm so sick of Halo, Gears and Forza.

Shit happens. MS took a risk with this game and it's probably not living up to expectations (and don't want to blow more money on it).

GHG

Gold Member
It's looking less about 'screwing over a dev' If they were missing milestones that's a massive red flag for any sensible company who's paying for the game.

That can happen though, its games development. There are so many great games that would have never seen the light of day if they were cancelled after milestones were missed.

JP

I can't help wonder if Platinum have been spreading themselves a little too thinly over the past few years, their releases seem to have been all over the place in terms of quality. If this is really true then hopefully they'll be able to invest their time into Nier: Automata as i think that's all they have this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom