• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound cancelled [Platinum Games and Kamiya have commented]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
zKNLAKB.png

Microsoft, take notes!
Their exclusives still look abysmal.

MsFOScf.png

This makes no sense and RE7, Yooka Laylee, For Honor and Tekken 7 aren't even exclusive. Weird post.

Why does there have to be so much unilateral blame? Considering the timeframe, this seems like something that just didn't work out for both parties involved.

Going by the tweet it sounds like Microsoft started meddling in shit and forcing options into the game that no one on the dev team wanted.

LewieP

I think this really speaks to the different philosophies that Sony and Microsoft.

You've got Sony keeping shit around for 10 years (the last guardian) and Microsoft seemingly axing things left and right.
To be fair I don't think Sony would give that level of support to a team that hadn't made ICO and SOTC, although I agree it is comendable.

Considering the multiplayer focus of Halo 5, Forza, Crackdown, Sea of Thieves, Gears of War it makes sense that Microsoft would have wanted Scalebound to follow the same pattern. It was clear that wasn't what the game was when it was announced. Look at what they did to Fable as well with Fable Legends as another example. What made Scalebound stand out at the time, at least for me, is that it wasn't another mulitplayer or co-op focused game.

Yeah, there are exceptions like Ori but if Microsoft Studios sees any potential multiplayer, then they are going to make your game into an XBL sub seller whether you considered multiplayer or if you even like that idea or not. Platinum got fucked by that.

HeelPower

Souls games aren't open world so much as several incredibly linear and tightly designed levels that're interconnected with each other, certainly not open world in the sense of what people typically mean. Like having villages with roaming npcs. Hell Souls npcs don't even roam.
Scaleboundtown.gif

They're seamlessly connected often times massive,geometrically complex areas.

Not to mention that they managed to get seamless multiplayer to work on almost every part of the game.

The souls games are a stunning achievement on so many levels,especially in the japanese industry scene.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
zKNLAKB.png

Microsoft, take notes!
Their exclusives still look abysmal.

MsFOScf.png
if you wanna play list wars it's probably best not to include a picture where half the games aren't actually exclusives.

They're seamlessly connected often times massive,geometrically complex areas.

Not to mention that they managed to get seamless multiplayer to work on almost every part of the game.

The souls games are a stunning achievement on so many levels,especially in the japanese industry scene.
Remember how Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 run during co-op...not to mention Souls games are always geometrically complex but rarely are they "open." And you certainly aren't doing anything like flying a dragon my dude come on.

Dlacy13g

After the last showing at E3... the game looked like it was in trouble. Could it have been saved... Maybe? Hard to say but this does cast a bit of a shadow over the rest of the year as of now software wise. Sure, Scorpio may be coming....but if Scorpio is to follow the PS4 Pro route as in it will just play X1 games better then... is there really a reason to buy it? I guess that is what MS will need to prove to the world on or before E3.

So Microsoft is back to no Japanese games which means I'm still waiting for a game to sell me on the console. Shame it went as bad as it did with platinum.

Put more money, because without that boldness we wouldn't got The Last Guardian.

TLG had much more positive feedback from when it was shown though, also history with Team Ico's previous games. As much as I wanted Scalebound to turn out great, it never had an official great showing, the best clips (flying and towns) were filmed off-screen with a potato-cam and I personally disliked the protagonist and co-op mode.

Going by what we've seen of it, and assuming what we haven't seen isn't much better, I can wholly understand why Microsoft decided to cancel it.

Dehnus

Great, so the only thing Microsoft had to even get me to buy that POS install box (Don't get me wrong I also think the PS4 is a POS install box. I want my games to run not to be installed, and I know that isn't a popular opinion, on a console :( ).... get's cancelled.

The headphoneguy haters can rejoice. MORE ultra muscular dudebro shooters for them with no couch MP and more Online MP where they can go "that's gay.. huhuhuhu" and think it is a hilarious gay joke. (As a gay man, I love good gay jokes, but not when Dudebros consider that the word or a stereotype is the wholejoke :( ).

Way to drive of people AGAIN MS! Just like you did with the Xbox crowd moving to the 360.. (Xbox had a lot of great exclusives)... and the few Japanese Xbox fans you had with the 360... by making the latter half of that console into "DUDEBROK FUCK YEAH!" gaming.

Sorry just pissed of at the decision. It is like MS WANTS to lose.

Maybe it is all the activist shareholder Value act jerking about to get them to drop the XBox brand, as otherwise MS is just ... too...bloody... stupid!.

Going by the tweet it sounds like Microsoft started meddling in shit and forcing options into the game that no one on the dev team wanted.

I guess. You would just think if there was such a discrepancy in creative direction, that it would have showed up earlier. But what do I know lol. I was excited for it, so it's a bummer.

Phu

Banned
This had years and so much effort put into it. I always wonder where the 'not worth it point' hits and it's no longer worth trying to cobble together a 'complete' game out of what they've done.

Theorry

Souls games aren't open world so much as several incredibly linear and tightly designed levels that're interconnected with each other, certainly not open world in the sense of what people typically mean. Like having villages with roaming npcs. Hell Souls npcs don't even roam.
Scaleboundtown.gif

Stop this is gonna hurt even more now. :(

Shit like this is fucking dangerous. That is not what happened and that tweet has nothing to do with it. But people will start quoting this and eventually actually believing it when it's completely baseless speculation pulled from nothing.

Its all over the thread. Lots of people all over the thread are already talking about how it was damn MS meddling in beloved Kamiya's work that caused all of this.

When the actual people who know about this stuff, Jason, Shinobi, and EG have never stated this.

Ah, here's what I was looking for

XucL0OR.jpg

July 2015: "Those shits at MS...are they fucking with me?"

So, let's set a timeline HEAVY with speculation. Game was announced at E3 2014 without much notice. It skipped E3 2015, but showed up at Gamescom that year in August with an announcement of four-player co-op, which was shown off with a much rougher game in E3 2016's conference. The game was then cancelled soon after.

My guess is that, in July, Kamiya was told he had to rejigger the game into a four-player co-op thing. There were never any hints he wanted to make the game a Monster Hunter-like, but I am guessing people in charge of money were expecting him to do so. It gets announced, shown off, and the response is tepid. Changing tides at Microsoft, a desire to free up the UE4 team they put together to work with Kamiya, and being unhappy with the state of the game lead to it being cancelled.

If my guess is correct, that's really sad.

This breaks my heart. I love Mr Kamiya, and I hope he and his team the best in this shit storm of a mess.

Man MS have been a really piece of shit this gen. I laugh at all of the "Phil Spencer is the saviour" fucking lying piece of shit. What a waste, can't wait to not buy more Halo, Gears and Forza, those IP's got stale years and years ago. Same recycled shitty games with no imagination and no risk.

Sony sticks with The Last Guardian for what, 10 years? And MS cancels this after less than half of that. The project really must not have been any good or inspiring guys.

To be fair, Sony sticking with a project like Last Guardian for 10 years is extremely rare in the industry and many would argue is actually bad business. But the optics of keeping a fan-favorite alive and well and seeing it through to the end is worth more than lost revenue to Sony.

And I say it works, I think Sony's commitment to new IPs from their studios and keeping "darlings" around, even if they don't pan out 100% of the time, is what keeps that platform infinitely more interesting to me than what MS is doing with theirs. 343i should be doing stuff other than Halo. The Coalition should be doing stuff other than Gears. MS has no "auteurs" like Ueda* or Kojima. I get that launching a new IP is extremely difficult, but even when the new entries in their series are good, the fact that the series are so old really tempers their reception. "It's pretty good actually, but it's another one of these" is the critique that comes to MS exclusives this generation time and time again. And the ones that show promise like ReCore are shoved out the door well before they're ready.

*I know Ueda is no longer with Sony technically, but he's expressed the fact that he wants to keep making games. I would be honestly surprised if he doesn't collaborate with Sony again.

that's not how game development works

you can't just "release" something mid development lol

I know that - I'm a developer - but this is something where the game has been announced, shown, played, we're in an era of unfinished products, beta, early-access etc. - we can do things that haven't been done before.

If my tone sounds like I'm annoyed about this whole debacle, it's because I am.

Rad-

You overestimate the importance of Power. If power were the case the Xbox and Gamecube should of destroyed the PS2, but they didn't. The PS4 is winning not because its more powerful but because it was cheaper and had a better marketing campain. Power was just the cherry on top.

I agree with those points. My main point was that exclusives don't matter that much, multiple other factors are bigger (like the ones you now mentioned and 3rd party titles).

Don't devolve a thread like this into dumb list wars. It's pathetic.

--

Sorry to all the fans who were looking forward to Scalebound. Hopefully Kamiya feels better soon.

T.O.P

Banned
Scaleboundtown.gif

Fuckkkk :(

Phantom dust. Now scale bound. I'm definitely blaming Microsoft on these things. Terrible that the few things I was looking forward to from then are gone. Wtf are they doing over there???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom