• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 Thread: Joy-Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly were Nintendo doing when they were leaving the Wii U to die with no releases anyway, they have basically no new games at launch, it can't take that long to port games surely?

Kikorin

I don't know, I would buy it at dayone only for Zelda, than I would have to wait more than a month for MK8 Deluxe... I just woke up, is Zelda confirmed 3 March on Wii U too? Fuck, if they would have give me Zelda and MK8 at dayone both I would have preordered, but like that I'm still not sure.

I've always bought Nintendo consoles at dayone, but I'm a bit scared of a 3DS situation again.

lttp but

Already with that brutal response:

Y8lRxhf.jpg

*slow clap*

Absolutely savage. Absolutely perfect.

This whole charade has been such a shitshow. -_-

jimboton

The biggest thing I was excited for with the Switch, 3rd parties be damned, it was a unification of their software divisions. This meant more games in one place. Where the hell are the games!?

This is the biggest wtf for me. The Switch was supposed to mean more games. Istead, it looks to be the stingiest Nintendo launch ever (and that's saying something).

Hoo-doo

Banned
does anyone know what amazing thing the switch did they they held for the reveal was? I must have missed it..

The joy-cons are packed with tech. HD-rumble and a proximity sensor.

Shame it's going to get massively underutilized as it is only useful in tabletop mode, which will likely be rather niche.

Mendrox

I think the Wii U's problem was value not price. People just didn't see the value in that price. The Xbox One was more expensive and sold more. Same with the PS4. If the value is there, people will buy. I don't think it gets any simpler than that.

That said, I do agree that the price of the extra stuff is high. I think they need to drop the price $10 across the board, because they're really too expensive. Luckily, it hasn't released yet so they still have time to do something about it. I don't think there's any problem with the cost of the system, though. $299 for the power and what it can do sounds about right.

The value was a big point at launch, but when cool launched many of my casual friends wanted to buy a Wii U because of Mario Kart and Smash and all, but the price was still to high for many of them, because they still had the Wii mentality (low price, low priced games which still was true for Wii U in that regard).

300$/300€ (it's 329 nice) with 1-2 Switch included and 10-15€/$ cheaper controllers and everything would be fine for launch.

JoeM86

Paid online on a Nintendo console in general is a horrible idea.

Why? People say they want a better online system on Nintendo platforms. Doing so isn't cheap and requires subsidisation. It sucks, but it makes sense. You can't have it both ways. They're not a charity.

wapplew

What exactly were Nintendo doing when they were leaving the Wii U to die with no releases anyway, they have basically no new games at launch, it can't take that long to port games surely?

Wait for E3? Launch titles seems fine, I'm sure we will get new Retro game, Pokemon etc at E3.

jdstorm

Banned
you dont think the switch maybe iterative?

Its designed to be. But that hardly matters. Unless you think the next switch itteration will be somewhat comparable to whatever Sony and Microsoft launch to top Scorpio in 2-3 years

Which given its need to be itterative with the Switch 1 seems unlikely

Ashe Nei

I don't understand though.

It's a hybrid device so specs are limited somewhat. If it was a PS4 Pro level device, it couldn't be portable and it'd be a fuckton more expensive.

What do you guys want? Seriously?

You want the highest of spec with the lowest of price. In an ideal world, yeah that'd be great, but get a grip on realism

Focus? Is a tablet/handheld/portable screen/console with motion controls, touch screen, classic controls all in one. Of course it could be expensive. And that says nothing about the high-tech or the power of the device. Only how bloated of things the Switch is...

Seeing the cost of the accesories (Dock at 90, joy-cons at 80, joy-grip at 30) they are either overcharging HEAVILY for them (which is also bad in my book, especially for the controllers and the console being marketed as a social platform) or the cost of the tablet/console itself is not that high but what comes with the package is...

Either way, we get a handheld restricted for its battery-life and size (hopefully it doesn't heats up as much as i fear) and a console limited by its size and portability (you can't put that much power inside a relatively tiny case like the Switch).

The on-line fee, the price of the console&accesories and the poor line-up of games (taking into account that WiiU, and to a lesser extent 3DS, where being neglected supposedly because of Switch) just add salt to the wound. At least in my case.

Raide

Only Zelda is of interest for me. Probably do the same thing as the Wii. Buy one for Zelda, smash a load of hours into it and then shelve it till more games. Any news on a Monster Hunter yet?

Gonna go ahead and say it now, I dont expect this thing to outperform the WiiU by much. It needed to be a budget console. All the useless rumble and motion control crap in the controllers jacked up the price too much. A $249 bundle with a pro controller in lieu of the detachable things MIGHT tempt me to get one, since I dont plan to use it portably, but $299 plus extra to buy a pro controller? Nope.

Yes I realize I dont represent everyone, but the underwhelmed status of even a lot of Nintendo fans here is pretty damning for this thing's success. That's to say nothing of the idea that you need a smartphone for online chat for fuck's sake, and other issues. SMFH Nintendo.

It's a shame really. The actual device looks like a decent bit of kit and it is odd to be disappointed in a reveal that included splatoon 2, new mario, Zelda, and x2.

The reveal was a fumbled mess really. Which I found odd. The last 6 months has seen Nintendo earn a lot of good will back with good marketing , good switch showings and well received smart phone games. I just expected them to pretty much nail the presentation, but I've come out none the wiser. I don't know whether they are keeping things back for e3 and relying on Zelda and kart to sell out Initial stock and launch it proper in time for the fall.

So gone from day one pre-order to wait and see come later in the year. Still think the Device looks great and has potential. Just Nintendo fluffed it when it stated to look like they were starting to get back on top of their A game.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Why? People say they want a better online system on Nintendo platforms. Doing so isn't cheap and requires subsidisation. It sucks, but it makes sense. You can't have it both ways. They're not a charity.

The fact that you think paying more in-arguably leads to a more quality service is quite naive.

Nintendo has a piss-poor track record for online functionality, reliability and featureset. The things we do know about their paid service doesn't inspire much confidence, what with them giving away a single NES/SNES ROM a month and offloading functionality to smartphones.

All i'm saying is that if Nintendo deems it worth charging for, they better have stepped up their game tenfold. Because the competition is currently setting the bar for what's the bare minimum of value for a subscription service like this and I have real doubts on Nintendo ever hoping to match them.

7roject28

The presentation came across as unpolished and messy at times. The games they presented were fine but the weak launch day games isn't great. They needed Mario or Splatoon to give it a decent Day One. I can buy Raymond Legends for $15 bucks in Australia. Some thoughts on the poor prices - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28LLC2brMhg

My Australian wallet is going to hurt.

Sounds like your wallet is going down under.

Uff, I was really excited by the October preview video but this has been a hell of a disappointing reveal for me. And that price point... That's really gonna be an impossible sell for Nintendo.
In the end the average consumer is going to compare the Switch to the PS4 (Pro) and the Xbone and not see it as a portable device. So this is going to kill the Switch right from the start. I predict a worse launch than with the WiiU.
And after two years of basically getting nothing on the WiiU this is all the launch games they could come up with? What the hell happened there? What has everybody been working on since 2014?
And then paid online to add insult to injury? This is surely gonna be 60 bucks per year. wow, just wow Nintendo.
At this point I don't feel like getting the Switch at all which will be a first for a Nintendo console since the SNES :/

haimon

Because they have shown that they are not only incompetent when it comes to online, they have been against including it in cases where it could have been useful and fun.

Nintendo is no where near the point where the online they have shown can be charged for.

When xbl started it was the only high speed network of its kind and had many features that we're never seen before on consoles. And it was a mid gen start where they were not able to get lots of people to buy in.

However since they proved they knew how to run it and showed how it would work on 360 they were able to keep charging for it.

Sony had the entire ps3 gen to build on a free network and show they were improving.

Nintendo has not been able to show enough experience and competence with online to start charging for it.

Gonna go ahead and say it now, I dont expect this thing to outperform the WiiU by much. It needed to be a budget console. All the useless rumble and motion control crap in the controllers jacked up the price too much. A $249 bundle with a pro controller in lieu of the detachable things MIGHT tempt me to get one, since I dont plan to use it portably, but $299 plus extra to buy a pro controller? Nope.

Yes I realize I dont represent everyone, but the underwhelmed status of even a lot of Nintendo fans here is pretty damning for this thing's success. SMFH Nintendo.

Not sure why the Pro controller is even needed if the console is coming with 2 joycons and a grip for it.

Also I asked this in another thread but it went unanswered. Does the joycon controller have pointer functionality? Seems crazy to have motion controls without a pointer.

Also is the touch screen multi touch?

What an awkward presentation

No doubt the bored as fuck translators didn't help, but what about the lifeless crowd? Nintendo should have got some fans in there or something. Then again Suda falling so flat was hilarious. And what on Earth was that announcement? It's not even in conceptual stages

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
It seems to have fallen right into the hybrid curse of being quite poor at the two functions it's a hybrid of; a weak home console that won't get any ports of recent games, or a handheld with a battery life so short that it's only really useful for short trips.

Vena

What an awkward presentation

No doubt the bored as fuck translators didn't help, but what about the lifeless crowd? Nintendo should have got some fans in there or something. Then again Suda falling so flat was hilarious. And what on Earth was that announcement? It's not even in conceptual stages

Japan. The crowd was as it would always have been.

jdstorm

Banned
The fact that you think paying more in-arguably leads to a more quality service is quite naive.

Nintendo has a piss-poor track record for online functionality, reliability and featureset. The things we do know about their paid service doesn't inspire much confidence, what with them giving away a single NES/SNES ROM a month and offloading functionality to smartphones.

All i'm saying is that if Nintendo deems it worth charging for, they better have stepped up their game tenfold. Because the competition is currently setting the bar for what's the bare minimum of value for a subscription service like this and I have real doubts on Nintendo ever hoping to match them.

This.... Agree 100%

What Nintendo needs is free online and then a Netflix model subscription model for Virtual Console. I think most nintendo constomers would pay $10 a month for 100s of titles across 7 generations of gaming.

10 dollars a month for a worse version of skype and a crappy NES game. No thanks

When you announce that Skyrim is on your console like it's a big deal when it has been out for YEARS (and remastered already on this gen no less), it just comes off feeling like you are so far behind in the market that you are stuck in quicksand with no help in sight.

Inviusx

When you announce that Skyrim is on your console like it's a big deal when it has been out for YEARS (and remastered already on this gen no less), it just comes off feeling like you are so far behind in the market that you are stuck in quicksand with no help in sight.

I would also wager that it has none of the console mod support either.

MaxiLive

Shame the launch lineup seems a little weak but I was expecting that with the launch date being March and everyone being hush hush about games coming to the device.

I think the price is reasonable and I'm in the UK. £280 for an electronic device with this feature set is very reasonable.

Hell, I just paid £150 for a GPD XD which is a Chinese, android knockoff mobile device. An extra £130 for higher spec, a docking station, larger screen, better build quality, accessories, decent software and a decent gaming platform seems pretty good.

Echoing what other people have said I think everyone expects far too much for far too little these days. Most people moaning about cost probably have a £600 iPhone/iPad or a £300-500 GPU in their PC or some other large expenditure electronic device.

If the Switch is out of your justifiable price range you have to do one thing, it's super simple. Just wait, wait 6 months and you'll find some cheap 2nd hand deals, wait 12 months and you'll see official discount. As mentioned above most probably have a £500-600 smartphone/tablet, you may not of paid that but when it came out it cost that much without a contract.

But I think for the hardware you are getting along with the accessories the price is very reasonable.

Please Joe. Get a bit more real yourself. The Wii U had definitely a price problem. It was a problem for many people and is also currently the reason people try to buy refurbished Wii Us because they are cheaper and even though Wii U had many great games (I got 14 great games, more than for my PS4) it didn't take off.

Now we are getting a portable X360 with new shaders and all (Wow), Skyrim 360 Port, 3rd Parties? They were on stage and said "Yeah we will make games k bye". HD rumble is cool, but is nothing special. 3 hours battery life and 300 Euros + are just horrible.

I got to work this morning and the people I talked to yesterday that wanted to preorder this immediately are just disappointed like me now. Where are our games on launch and this year in general? Nintendo had more than enough time.

Selling so many different accessories for these horrible prices is just another hit to my face. They didn't even show the UI and all. It will be a trainwreck again.
if they showed the UI people would be complaining about wasted presentation time.

also the comparison to the xbox handheld is flawed as switch has nintendo games

also lets not forget that E3 is around the corner once this launches. there will be more announcements there. Zelda, Mario, Xenoblade 2, Arms, Splatoon 2 does not seem to bad and we may also see some more ports (if anybody is excited for that. I for one am at least excited to see mario kart 8 as a portable game)

its skyrim portable though. there was a time when FF6 on GBA was a big deal

Since they don't offer the same amount of games, maybe it's cheaper.

Or it will be the same like they overpriced everything about the Switch.

Wasn't there a rumour going round that it was going to be cheaper than the other two, something like 2.99 a month or something. Saying that i think that rumour said paid online was optional, but would get you perks like free game(s).

YourMaster

Truly horrible price. I would kinda understand 50$ more than DS/3DS launch prices because it features the option to play on a TV as well, but double the price from their previous devices is ridiculous.

Comparing it with consoles also won't work out well for them, as people will remember the wii from it's final years and the WiiU was a deserved failure even if it did get some very nice games from Nintendo themselves.

People are right to expect this thing to bomb, which is a self-fulfilling prophecy. I'm a big fan of their games, but I certainly won't buy this until it both drops heavily in price and it has a solid library.

Not sure why the Pro controller is even needed if the console is coming with 2 joycons and a grip for it.

Also I asked this in another thread but it went unanswered. Does the joycon controller have pointer functionality? Seems crazy to have motion controls without a pointer.

Also is the touch screen multi touch?

Pro controller is preferred because that joycons + grip monstrousity would be awkward as hell to hold for someone that has grown accustomed to and prefers the types of controllers we've had on PS1/2/3/4 and Xbox OG/360/One. Controllers have been refined and perfected so much that I have little desire to wrap my hands around something as awkwardly shaped as that joycon+grip sillyness.

For folks that dont want the portability, a switch + pro option for home use only would likely outsell the switch + joycon version, especially if it was a cost savings by ditching the motion controller and "HD rumble" tax the joycons add. Nintendo acts like they always need to reinvent the wheel. I dont need a car with square tires Nintendo. Run flats would do just fine.

Nev

Banned
So, let us see:

- 330€/280£
- Online paywall
- 70€ regular controller.
- 32GB.
- 720p, 1080p with slightly better Wii U / PS3 / 360 graphics.
- Remember the "no games" PS3 meme? Well it's back, except this time it's infinitely worse.
- Biggest game comes out for the Wii U too.
- 32GB

In a market where both Microsoft and Sony –which have sold millions of their more powerful consoles already– are releasing even better hardware.
Nintendo rushes a ridiculously overpriced, severely underpowered console that will 100% have less third party support than Wii U. The same mistake they did two times already. Third time's a charm I guess?

Are we missing something? Are they completely out of their minds? Is this actually a joke? I mean, anyone who knows anything about this industry knows this is a death sentence.

It's not necessarily a good thing that Nintendo will go third party after they bankrupt because of this complete disaster, but I'm glad the console itself will tank hard for trying to jump on the scammy online paywall.

They are absolutely done for.

sanstesy

It's a shame really. The actual device looks like a decent bit of kit and it is odd to be disappointed in a reveal that included splatoon 2, new mario, Zelda, and x2.

The reveal was a fumbled mess really. Which I found odd. The last 6 months has seen Nintendo earn a lot of good will back with good marketing , good switch showings and well received smart phone games. I just expected them to pretty much nail the presentation, but I've come out none the wiser. I don't know whether they are keeping things back for e3 and relying on Zelda and kart to sell out Initial stock and launch it proper in time for the fall.

So gone from day one pre-order to wait and see come later in the year. Still think the Device looks great and has potential. Just Nintendo fluffed it when it stated to look like they were starting to get back on top of their A game.

Pretty much. I still think the hardware itself is extremely appealing but the circumstances surrounding it - be it the online paywall, 1-2-Switch not being packed in, the general uncertainty surrounding future games support after launch games being already meagre makes the whole product relatively unappealing. And I really think it can't be overstated enough the effect both the online paywall and 1-2-Switch not being packed-in makes to the general public. I really think the price is not as big of a problem overall concerning the full product.

I'm still going to get it at launch because I want to play Zelda but I know this won't fly for the majority.

pelican

Would be quite good if we could get a poll going to take a temperature check on how GAF as a whole feels about the reveal, etc.

saskuatch

I have to say it guys, Nintendo is lost.

They are just trying to go for the lottery win, spending their r and d on creating gimmicks they think will catch fire like the Wii did instead of just making a good gaming console. At least they have ambition I guess, they tried to go big.

SMG

they coulda really called this "New" Wii U ...like they did with the 3ds. Feels just like a small upgrade from Wiiu. You can take the gamepad on the go, updated graphics for games you have on WiiU

The biggest thing this has in its favor is a clean break from the Wii / U branding.
Marking has already been good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom