• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] New Scorpio Spec Leak: ESRAM Gone, GPU Features Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Microsoft have made a power gamble.
Sony have gone for a cut price stop gap while waiting for 4k appetite to increase and technology to become affordable.

Be interesting to see which one pans out for the best.

It seems like both companies made the exact same gamble, to be honest.
Only thing is that Microsoft waited a year and was able to squeeze a bit more power out of the box. I wonder whether that will have been worth it.

I've mulled over this news and here are my thoughts
  • GPU / CPU capability sound in line with what the realistic expectations were. The fantasy of a Vega and Ryzen equipped walking nuclear battle tank were tantalizing, but not based on reality, unless Microsoft was willing to have a massively expensive box and start a new generation.
  • I believe the GPU boost is significant enough to run more native 4K games then the PS4 Pro. But I think Microsoft botched messaging again by putting the 4K albatross on this console by calling it something akin to the "true 4K console." Anyone familiar with PCs and the power required for 4K could tell you that 6 TF and a netbook CPU is not enough to consistently run 4K games at high framerates, even with coded to the metal console games. They've walked this back by saying developers have the freedom to use the resources whereever. But they really hammered the 4K edge on the Pro and in the end they will both be using IQ tricks to hit that massive resolution bump in some games.
  • I still think the Scorpio is going to be a great console, and if priced right, is going to provide big boost to the Xbox ecosystem. I just want them to smartly market and develop a robust lineup. 4K Cuphead and Below. 60 FPS Halo. 1080P supersampled games, etc. I want to be excited after the letdowns of Fable and Scalebound being cancelled. They already have the preeminent gaming network and a big library of apps and services. So there is lot to leverage there.

So, undoubtedly, some segments are going to be dissapointed by the trade-offs that were always going to be part of the product. However, there is a lot there to be excited about if they can execute.

Probably the best post I've seen in here. A $600 video card can't run most games at 4K60 today. Sure there's some coding benefits for consoles, but certainly not to the extent that a $400-$500 box was magically going to be able to do what a $600 video card (let alone entire PC) can't.

Trago

Part of me was hoping they'd bite the bullet and pull an Xbox360 - kill the existing system and start the next gen early.

That would be rather pointless. They're making money off of the existing Xbox One userbase. Starting from zero at this point would be a mistake.

Ushay

I'm confused.

We knew from the start that this is a 6TF console and that hasn't changed.

Developers are free to use that power however they want. So why are people disappointed all of a sudden?
The usual crowd, the system will still comfortably be the most powerful among consoles.

ironcreed

Banned
How will it have the best versions of multi platform games? If they both do 1080 @60 fps or 1080 @30 locked. Or are you talking 4k?

The same way the PS4 has games that look and run better than Xbox One. It is going to be the more powerful system by a nice chunk.

MarveI

Yeah, that doesn't mean fans weren't running wild with crazy hopes and dreams though.

Unfair to put the spotlight on the fans.
The spotlight should be on MS. They should be heavily critisized for their BS lies.
I mean uncompressed pixels, native 4K and all that and it turns out it's just a slightly improved PS4Pro ? That's a lot of shady sh...they've said. They should be called out on that.

In hindsight Sony won again. They released the same machine a year earlier and they'll release the next gen machine earlier too. Win-win for them.
Also what a bad choice to release this machine at the end of 2017 when they could've done this in 2016 (technology wasn't available that time Phil said yeah right). Or they could've opted to wait a year extra and release a Zen machine which they didn't do either and to be frank the S was doing pretty well so it could've gone for another year or 2 no problem. The gap isn't going to be closed with Sony and with the way the Pro was selling they really could've hung on the S for a bit more.

Lmao, if those specs turn out to be true then this Spencer guy is even more full of shit than I originally thought.

Scorpio over XB1
GPU = 360% increase
RAM = 50% increase
Bandwith = 370% increase (- whatever ESRAM did)
CPU = we don't know shit about it yet

Ps4 Pro over Ps4
GPU = 130% increase
RAM = 6.5% more usable ram for games
Bandwith = 24% increase
CPU = 30% increase

novabolt

Oh well, you take what your given. I personally don't mind if it follows a PS4 PRO like console, I just want the 6TF to be used properly and in a smart way.

DesertFox

Zen CPU Arch from AMD marketing (the CPU was not released yet) is suppose to reach close to actual IPC (instructions per cycle) and power draw of Intel CPUs... something AMD lacks in the last decade being crushed by Intel in CPU performance.

So it everything goes right then AMD will launch a new CPU Arch on par with at least Skylake from Intel.

But that is easy than done and AMD just showed prefabricated demos until now.

Jaguar is like the low tier of AMD lineup from 5 years ago... it is probably weaker than Atom or ARM actually.
Ok thanks. That's disappointing if true, then.

However, since this "leak" is 7 months old, I'm going to wait and see what the official word is from MS before creating any solid plans for where I spend my money this year.

patapuf

The guy talks a lot of fluff. Been saying for years that we'd see them focus on new IP by expanding their first party teams. Instead they've shrunk.

I'm very sceptical of what spencer says but this is pretty much exactly what was announced when scorpio was unveiled.

Expectations that went beyond that are entirely fanmade and not based on anything he said.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The spotlight should be on MS. They should be heavily critisized for their BS lies.
I mean uncompressed pixels, native 4K and all that and it turns out it's just a slightly improved PS4Pro ? That's a lot of shady sh...they've said. They should be called out on that.

In hindsight Sony won again. They released the same machine a year earlier and they'll release the next gen machine earlier too. Win-win for them.

They will be releasing native 4K games, Forza is almost a lock.
They still have 6 TFLOP of processing power.

There were no lies at all. Just misinterpretation. That's on the audience that can't resist overestimating everything.

Ouch.

Correct. And for Microsoft's part, if Scorpio wasn't going to be dramatically more powerful than PS4 Pro than it should've launched last year. ...Remind me why I shouldn't just get a PS4 Pro this afternoon?

It will have marginally better native 4k game support, marginally better VR support, a UHD player, and Xbox games. And it might up-res non-patched One and 360 BC games. That's the selling point.

AP90

Scorpio over XB1
GPU = 360% increase
RAM = 50% increase

Ps4 Pro over Ps4
GPU = 130% increase
Bandwith = 24% increase
CPU = 30% increase

👍

What in the world are people in here talking about? I read through the article.

There's NOTHING that is disappointing or not what was expected.

It looks like the system is on target for 6TF at the minimum. It's a huge step up from Xbox One and significantly more powerful than the PS4 Pro.

I'm not sure if I'll buy it...with my PC already being more powerful, but I see the hyperbole arrived and took off.

The truth about what? The exact thing any sane person expected and was told. It's on target to be a 6TF system that is capable of 4k, or other enhancements.....just as they said it would be.

Honestly I am confused, I read the article and didn't read anything for anyone to be disappointed in...seems like they are delivering on what they intended. End of the article states its going to be a good 4K contender machine. Are people even reading the actual article or just jumping on the bandwagon train?

What's the problem here? Also....ESRAM is gone...good riddance.

Trago

They will be releasing native 4K games, Forza is almost a lock.
They still have 6 TFLOP of processing power.

There were no lies at all. Just misinterpretation. That's on the audience that can't resist overestimating everything.

And crazy expectations.

Unknown?

Yup I was saying it was going to have the same problems as the Pro. All these people romanticizing their own expectations are in for disappointment.

Looks like it really is a knee jerk reaction to the Pro. They were caught with their pants down just like with the OG PS4 getting 8gb of ram. By the time Scorpio comes out the Pro will have a vast amount of games that utilize it and by the end of the year games will be optimized for it and looking way better than games are now. Scorpio is late to the party and will be behind in games and pricing!

ironcreed

Banned
Scorpio over XB1
GPU = 360% increase
RAM = 50% increase

Ps4 Pro over Ps4
GPU = 130% increase
Bandwith = 24% increase
CPU = 30% increase

And this is supposed to be disappointing?

Fh3ro.gif

Alrighty then.

ultrazilla

The Scorpio is about 4-5x as powerful. The S had a very slight bump because of it becoming more efficient as well as better support for HDR.

That's way more of a power bump for MS than what Sony did with a Pro right? Is a PS4 Pro 4-5x more powerful than a PS4?

Edit: I saw the breakdown hanspampel posted.

shandy706

Lmao, if those specs turn out to be true then this Spencer guy is even more full of shit than I originally thought.

You people need to explain yourself. This is embarrassing.

Explain how a system on target for 6TF is not what was promised. Explain where the lies are. Explain your stance.

RibMan

Interesting specs! I think the good news is that a small improvement on the PS4 Pro means they can hit $399.99 this fall. The bad news is that based on this information, the uncompressed pixels/everything is native looks like it could end up being another lie, so the final Scorpio product could end up having a number of unforeseen tradeoffs. Obviously, we're dealing with hypotheticals and unconfirmed information, so DF could be wrong and these specs could change and improve for the better. I guess my current opinion is thumbs up for the price ��, thumbs down for the hardware ��.

Complicated said:
Ps4 Pro seems very rushed and messy with games running worse on Pro than reg Ps4, and no real infrastructure to explain the differences to consumers on a game by game basis. I dunno, you can spin it whichever way you want. It's more likely they both saw 4k coming and knew they could leverage it to keep charging high prices for hardware while discounting their base models and making up for how weak the base consoles are.

The keyword in your analysis is "seems", because in reality, the vast majority of games on the PS4 Pro run better than the regular PS4. There's an excellent thread on here that highlights the improvements on regular games (on mobile so I can't find it fast).

FrankWza

The same way the PS4 has games that look and run better than Xbox One. It is going to be the more powerful system by a nice chunk.

Yeah but, thats 720 or 900p vs 1080p. If theyre both super sampled down it wont be anywhere near the difference of ps4 og vs xboxone. Unless all the scorpio games run at locked 60fps.

Which is a given with the extra year in development.

As it seems for now, if MS is just following Sony footsteps, then im not sure 'waiting' another year is a good move. I say 'waiting' because Scorpio may just be a reactionary step.

Whether they are following in Sony's footsteps or not, I do think the Scorpio holds some appeal and is still going to do well for MS.

Theorry

Scorpio over XB1
GPU = 360% increase
RAM = 50% increase

Ps4 Pro over Ps4
GPU = 130% increase
Bandwith = 24% increase
CPU = 30% increase

Meh slight upgrade.

/s

Honestly I am confused, I read the article and didn't read anything for anyone to be disappointed in...seems like they are delivering on what they intended. End of the article states its going to be a good 4K contender machine. Are people even reading the actual article or just jumping on the bandwagon train?

What's the problem here? Also....ESRAM is gone...good riddance.

Don't forget a certain group of fanboys will put it down since it's not their favorite console manufacturer.

What in the world are people in here talking about? I read through the article.

There's NOTHING that is disappointing or not what was expected.

It looks like the system is on target for 6TF at the minimum. It's a huge step up from Xbox One and significantly more powerful than the PS4 Pro.

Not sure what's going on either. Nah, I think we all know exactly what's going on. Anyways, it all sounds good and I'm on board. Need to figure out when I'm gonna get a TV though. Too much shit to buy this year.

Scorpio over XB1
GPU = 360% increase
RAM = 50% increase

Ps4 Pro over Ps4
GPU = 130% increase
Bandwith = 24% increase
CPU = 30% increase
And the PS4 Pro over the XB1 comparison?

Phamit

Isn't that basically what people expected and isn't any different what MS has announced so far?

This is good sign

Head.spawn

Scorpio over XB1
GPU = 360% increase
RAM = 50% increase

Ps4 Pro over Ps4
GPU = 130% increase
Bandwith = 24% increase
CPU = 30% increase

This is what gets me. DF literally read exactly what MS confirmed at e3 (a white paper from that same date) word for word, speculated on CPU and now people are saying MS lied about something...

I swear people can't think for themselves.

DrewDawg

Neo Member
With the supposedly mid generation refresh Scorpio releasing Holiday '17, what is the timeline for the next gen XBOX(after Scorpio)? Assuming that there is another three years in the 8th generation, would the Scorpio being a refresh make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom