• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku's Schreier: Eidos Montreal is making Tomb Raider and 2 different Marvel games

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Alternative title: Deus Ex Memorial Thread

eidoskotakuoipwb.png

Source: https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/824637138662617091

Gator86

The last Tomb Raider and Deus Ex were both fantastic, so clearly it's time to blow everything up and throw different teams on stuff, seemingly at random.

Fury451

Banned
Shadow of the Tomb Raider?

Is that the real title? Because damn that sounds kinda terrible.

It's better than Rise of the? Sort of? Maybe?

I don't know. I'll play it though.

I actually found Endurance mode to be some serious fun with that.

sense

as much as this sucks, this makes a ton of business sense for square. deus ex bombed sadly and tomb raider didn't light the charts on fire so this had to happen to keep the studios alive

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Deus Ex is probably not gone forever, it's just going to take longer until there's a new reboot/sequel with a brand new protagonist.

Simo

Well...shit. That's fucking sad as I loved both Deus Ex games and was hoping for a third before this gen was over. :(

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wait, there are 2 different studios?

Yes. They have a dedicated premium mobile studio (Square Enix Montreal) in the same city.

They were originally going to work on a AAA Hitman game, but that got canceled.

Square Enix actually gave them oversight of two other studios that will also make premium mobile games in London and Copenhagen.

Zukkoyaki

Mankind Divided was such a great game. It's a damn shame that we aren't going to get another one (for now). With that said, I'm ALWAYS intrigued by new projects from such a talented developer. I can't wait to see their Tomb Raider and the Marvel games they're cooking up. They should all get excellent.

Lakitu

st5fu
This is the worst gaming related news I've heard in a long time. Guess that means Deus Ex is dead.

Not only that but wasting two talented developers on Marvel crap is very disappointing /IMO

opricnik

Banned
This already kill my interest for "Shadow of Tomb Raider".

It sure looks like gonna be samey -uncharted type of game. Doubt they have any time to turn back to franchise into roots , instead they will use engine and all mechanics make another copy paste game.

Drayco21

So they cut Mankind Divided in half to maximize profit and sell two games instead of one. Then when that game underperforms and people are upset because of it, they just cancel the second half?

Cool, thanks Square. Shame, because their work on Deus Ex has been fantastic.

Hopefully they get to do something real cool with one of the Marvel properties then.

icespide

Banned
This already kill my interest for "Shadow of Tomb Raider".

It sure looks like gonna be samey -uncharted type of game. Doubt they have any time to turn back to franchise into roots , instead they will use engine and all mechanics make another copy paste game.
Rise already strayed away from the Uncharted formula quite a bit

PensOwl

Banned
So Mankind Divided wasn't cut in half for a sequel, it was cut in half because bisected things are cool or something

It's a shame we don't seem to be getting another Deus Ex. But... I'm actually excited for once with regards to the Tomb Raider title. Same with the Marvel properties.

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
But but the ending of Mankind Divided suggests that...

*yes, but Half-Life 2 Ep2*

oh...

Square Enix really fucked Deus Ex by splitting it into two games and piling on the micro transactions.

At the same time, Eidos spending 5 years on a sequel also fucked the game because of how development works nowadays. I'd love to see a post-mortem of what really happened to this game: over ambition, corporate muddling, or multiple scrapped visions for the game.

Crawl

So let me get this straight.

Eidos Montreal (deus ex fame): Is now on Avengers + Tomb Raider + Unknown project?

Crystal Dynamics (tomb raider fame): Is Avengers + Another tomb raider???

Square Enix Montreal (mobile game fame): Is making more mobile games?

Is that right?

Top Bottom