• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Codemasters just announced Dirt 4

Ogs

Looks like 60 FPS to me, cockpit view, and no Gymkhana stuff (not that I have anything against it, its just not my cup of tea). To seal the deal I hope they don't have any "haha come on guys !" type announcers (like FH3). All signs point to a bloody good game so far :)

LostDonkey

Dirt 1 was absolutely amazing for the time. The moment they added that Travis pastrana and Ken block was it in 2 and 3 was when it went to shit.

UNCyrus

Look at all the excitement in this thread! So happy you guys are enjoying the announcement! <3

l0Ex31ichbgCq1ANW.gif

Amazing video! Can I add it to the OP?

Thanks for sharing!

That would be rad, dude. Thanks for the compliment (seriously, it means a lot!).

Cheers for the video, was good to see footage and hear your impressions. You mentioned playing on the lowest difficulty - was there any option to have flashbacks at all? (i.e. Rewind about 10 seconds or so if you have an accident)

No problem. I had the option to reset the vehicle when I royally messed up (when the car flipped over and whatnot). I tried using it outside of my car being destroyed but it didn't seem to work.

(Everyone is being so nice about the YouTube video... we really need to do these more often!)

Looks like 60 FPS to me, cockpit view, and no Gymkhana stuff (not that I have anything against it, its just not my cup of tea). To seal the deal I hope they don't have any "haha come on guys !" type announcers (like FH3). All signs point to a bloody good game so far :)
I do. The Gymkhana bullshit brought my gaming to a halt. It'd be enjoying the game until I was forced to do it to advance. It should've been a separate, optional, play mode.

I was hoping too the ex-Evolution guys will push the new GRID but Rushy said it's a totally new IP made from scratch. Maybe starting from scratch will be better, but I think we will have to wait a bit longer than we would like to see some kind of Driveclub 2 on PC.

A new DIRT mixing Rally with 2 & 3 and VR seems cool enough for the time being. Really hope Paul and his team get all the time they need to make the game as perfect as they can.
yeah let's hope that the Evo guys just need some more time to practice their magic on a GRID-like game.

Piggus

Sweet. I hope that "improved" damage model really is improved though. DiRt 1 has amazing damage for the time, and I really hope they push it further.

finley83

Banned
I do. The Gymkhana bullshit brought my gaming to a halt. It'd be enjoying the game until I was forced to do it to advance. It should've been a separate, optional, play mode.

It's annoying but setting the difficulty to easy for those events lets you breeze through it with no problem. I couldn't stand the Gymkhana either but the rest of the game was so good that I persevered.

Just got a copy of Dirt 2 this week and man the presentation in that game is incredibly annoying. Every time you finish a race/level up/unlock something the screen sort of explodes like you just got punched in the face and it's doing my head in. Managed to find the right file to delete to shut up Travis Pastrana and everyone else though which is a bonus.

Bobnob

Dirt Rally physics with a traditional online rally mode im in day 1 ?????, it still bugs that DR doesn't have this.

Grassy

It seems strange they'd do a full-blown Dirt game so soon after Dirt Rally, but I'll take whatever racing games we can get.

C'mon Codies WHERE THE FUCK IS GRID 4!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Maybe this is what the former Evolution Studios people are working on? That would be more up their alley with road courses and such.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Did you even bother to check out the OP?

Don't see why they would lie about it. Especially after having such great feedback on DiRT Rally.

Well they at least mislead about the rally content/focus of dirt 3... still, you are right, dirt rally really bought them the benefit of the doubt.

Helznicht

Fuck Codemasters.

I am a Steam user
I supported Dirt Rally as a Steam Early Access
I bought the Steam VR headset

They added Oculus support
They are adding PSVR support
They refuse to even comment on if they are adding Vive support

They will not get another dime from me until they add Vive support.

PFD

Fuck Codemasters.

I am a Steam user

Did they ever promise Vive support?

Why do you feel they owe it to you?

OmahaG8

Let's pretend I think Rallisport Challenge 1 and 2 are some of the best, if not the best, racing games of all time.

I've never played a Dirt.

Should I be playing Dirt?

Dirt Fish Rally School in Washington? Hah.

Their offices were the Sheriff's office in Twin Peaks. I've been there. Sat in a bunch of their rally cars and seen people out on the course driving around. Some year I'd like to do a course. They've got a room full of gaming stuff too, with full wheels and seats and everything.

I've played all the dirt games, so I was probably going to get this anyway, but I'm not going to complain about a bit of Twin Peaks in this.

Their track still has one of the standing chimneys from the old mill (that was the Packard Saw Mill in Twin Peaks).

Let's pretend I think Rallisport Challenge 1 and 2 are some of the best, if not the best, racing games of all time.

You should be playing Dirt Rally. Not so sure about the other games.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

Yes? Maybe. I fucking adore rsc 1 and 2 (1 maybe a bit more despite all the content of 2). Dirt 2 and 3 are fairly close in terms of exciting rally, but are definitely more arcade feeling. Dirt rally is much more sim, like rbr. Dirt 1 is somewhere between dirt 2/3 and rally, but with kind of shitty controls. Ypu should for sure play dirt 2/3 and rally, i think at least one of these two styles would be right up your alley - if not both

Damn, i miss rsc

Edit: i should add that some of my favorie racers of all time are easily rsc1, 2, rbr, and now (the new king) dirt rally. Yes, give them a shot

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Woah, surprise announcement, and June of this year too???!!!!

I own all of the DiRT games but man, DiRT Rally is my absolute favorite rally game of all freaking time. If DiRT 4 can live up to a true DiRT Rally sequel then I'll buy it day one at any fucking price. I'm not even kidding. If it's less sim and more like the previous DiRT games then I'll have to be cautious and maybe even pass it up. DiRT Rally is just too damned good to go back to what the franchise used to be.

I'm hoping it's an actual DiRT Rally 2 through and through!

Hip Hop

So trucks and buggies will be boxed in to circuit racing only once again.

I would really, really love for someone to do point to point with these one day.

ala Baja 1000.

drotahorror

So trucks and buggies will be boxed in to circuit racing only once again.

I would really, really love for someone to do point to point with these one day.

ala Baja 1000.

With the way they talk about these infinite track possibilities and whatnot, I don't see why you won't? But yeah you may be right.

Mohonky

Dirt 1 was absolutely amazing for the time. The moment they added that Travis pastrana and Ken block was it in 2 and 3 was when it went to shit.

Agreed, the first Dirt was awesome with its mix of vehicles. Then when Dirt 2 came along they completely fucked it with all the dude bro Pastrana and Block shit.

If they keep the simulation of Rally with the expanded vehicle disciplines and tracks of the first, I'll be a super happy camper.

"Did they ever promise Vive support?

Why do you feel they owe it to you?"

They don't owe it to him and he doesn't owe it to them to buy their games if it does not support the features he wants.

It's definitely a bit wack that Dirt Rally got Rift support and now PSVR but no mention of Vive, but I'm guessing they were thinking the sales trajectory of the Rift would outpace the Vive significantly (most did, myself included).

AllenShrz

Fuck Codemasters.

I am a Steam user

This, Im not buying unless it supports vive.

MGR

I hope the procedural tracks can be automatically randomly generated in online mode. Would be fantastic to line up at a brand new stage each time with nothing but the co-driver pace notes to guide you. All the stages in Dirt Rally just get memorized by those with enough free time and become sprints as opposed to having a real rally vibe.

Also, why is that the only Dirt 4 gameplay out there?

They didn't get the NDA memo or what? lol

Not sure if they got the memo or not, but the words "PRE-ALPHA - WORK IN PROGRESS - NOT FOR DISTRIBUTION" permanently plastered across the top of the screen should've been a clue haha.

Bless them for ignoring it though :)

finley83

Banned
Not sure if they got the memo or not, but the words "PRE-ALPHA - WORK IN PROGRESS - NOT FOR DISTRIBUTION" permanently plastered across the top of the screen should've been a clue haha.

That just means not to distribute the build though doesn't it? Unless they had to physically sign an NDA there's nothing stopping them from sharing video of it.

DD

Okay, blood pressure is back to normal, so now I think: this better have those long ass championships Dirt Rally had. I hate those mini events, those 2 races championships Dirt 1, 2 and 3 had. I wanna dive on the Marianas Trench, not on a fancy jacuzzi.

Yes? Maybe. I fucking adore rsc 1 and 2 (1 maybe a bit more despite all the content of 2). Dirt 2 and 3 are fairly close in terms of exciting rally, but are definitely more arcade feeling. Dirt rally is much more sim, like rbr. Dirt 1 is somewhere between dirt 2/3 and rally, but with kind of shitty controls. Ypu should for sure play dirt 2/3 and rally, i think at least one of these two styles would be right up your alley - if not both

Damn, i miss rsc

Edit: i should add that some of my favorie racers of all time are easily rsc1, 2, rbr, and now (the new king) dirt rally. Yes, give them a shot

I don't know if you are saying that Dirt 2 and 3 are more arcadey comparing them with Dirt Rally or Rallisports Challange. If its the second, I'm sorry, but your memory is playing tricks on you. RSC is almost a kart racer. :D

In my opinion, Dirt 2 is still the king of the perfect arcade handling. Dirt 3 was a step back, and Dirt 1 had a really poor gameplay and physics.

MGR

That just means not to distribute the build though doesn't it? Unless they had to physically sign an NDA there's nothing stopping them from sharing video of it.

Ah yes you're probably right. Surprising this is the only footage available then.

Top Bottom