• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reviews for Rings (2017) Currently at 0% on RT

Status
Not open for further replies.
PH7Mkx5mKKfEae_1_l.jpg

A new chapter in the beloved RING horror franchise. A young woman becomes worried about her boyfriend when he explores a dark subculture surrounding a mysterious videotape said to kill the watcher seven days after he has viewed it. She sacrifices herself to save her boyfriend and in doing so makes a horrifying discovery: there is a "movie within the movie" that no one has ever seen before...

Trailer

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/rings_2017

Now at 6%

2017 is off to a great start.

Variety
- It's now the file-share that kills. I don't know why that's less threatening, but it is, kind of like seeing your favorite album cover reduced to a digital postage stamp.

Blu-ray.com
- An entirely useless film.

Hollywood Reporter
- Unlikely to fire up the faithful and almost sure not to attract new fans to this J-horror-derived property.

We Live - What is The Ring when nobody uses VHS anymore and instead watches all their video online? Rings does not explore that. Instead it just rehashes The Ring but using copied video files instead of tapes.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
It's only February and the trash is already piled to the ceiling.

hampig

Did anyone expect any different? The movie's been delayed due to bad screenings, the director doesn't really have any sort of good track record, the trailers looked terrible.

That said, I'll still see it, hoping it's bad enough to be entertaining.

All ya'll tripping over yourselves to be the first one to say "endless trash" need to wake up a little earlier in the morning.

Jesus Christ enough with these fucking horror films. I'm sick of the genre. It should go away for a while.

What lol

What kind of opinion is this?

Schlorgan

Did anyone expect any different? The movie's been delayed due to bad screenings, the director doesn't really have any sort of good track record, the trailers looked terrible.

I was doing to go see it for discount Tuesday next week but now I'm not so sure.

I just can't believe that they apparently failed to address the advent of online streaming and viral videos in a sequel to the Ring. How fucking out of touch can you be?

This should be hilariously bad.

All ya'll tripping over yourselves to be the first one to say "endless trash" need to wake up a little earlier in the morning.

What lol

What kind of opinion is this?

lol I overreacted. I actually don't watch the genre at all. I guess it's more frustration at having seen a number of them over the years and . . not getting scared while watching. Jacob's Ladder is the scariest movie I've ever seen and I'm not even sure it qualifies as a horror film. Sorry for popping off haha

hampig

I was doing to go see it for discount Tuesday next week but now I'm not so sure.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, there are some middling reviews out there that suggest maybe it's not 100% bad. I've been hearing The Ring > Rings > The Ring 2.

To me it sounds like a "The Blair Witch -> Blair Witch" kind of deal, and even though I thought that movie was bad, I was happy to have seen it. People are mentioning that Rings is more focused on mystery instead of horror, which is actually what the original novel is like anyways, so I could be OK with that. Don't like the sound of cheap jump scares though, which this is apparently full of.

Not surprising. I thought for months that the trailer was fake and made by someone making fun of the state of hollywood. It blew my fucking mind when I found out it wasn't.

evanmisha

Not surprising. I thought for months that the trailer was fake and made by someone making fun of the state of hollywood. It blew my fucking mind when I found out it wasn't.

Oh, come on. Was the trailer THAT BAD? Outside of Vincent D'onofrio who gives a performance that seems so terrible it does admittedly border on parody

That's one awfully sloppy poster. I'm not a trained graphic designer, have done some freelance work, and can say that even I can look at that poster and say it's horrible.

Vinc

^ Anaylze that ring.

Looks funny though in a so bad it's good sort of way.

It really isn't, it's just completely boring. The trailer made it look "worse" than it actually is. And when I say worse, I really mean better/funnier.

Yeah, pretty much. I wanted to hope it wouldn't be that bad and maybe something would be salvagable enough to be decent, but this project never inspired hope.

lol I overreacted. I actually don't watch the genre at all. I guess it's more frustration at having seen a number of them over the years and . . not getting scared while watching. Jacob's Ladder is the scariest movie I've ever seen and I'm not even sure it qualifies as a horror film. Sorry for popping off haha

Yeah maybe. I love horror movies, even bad ones, but I don't really get scared many by them. It's a different sort of sensation they give me. The good ones put me at unease, the bad ones are just smorgasbords of "so bad it's good" entertainment.

It's bad PG-13 horror movies that have no value. This stuff made to scare small children with loud noises and stuff popping into the frame is just garbage. They're not even movies, they're cheap haunted house attractions with a bored teenage staff.

Roo

If you were wondering how a movie series about a killer VHS tape would transition from the analog age to the digital age, keep wondering.

This review made me laugh for some reason.

Now you can die in HD. Buy the Samara blu-ray Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom