• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extensive new details on Zelda Breath of the Wild from Game Informer (Maybe spoilers)

Chaos17

2017_2D00_03_2D00_coverspread_2D00_610_2D00_watermark.jpg

You should consider picking up the issue for the full article and additional information.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...l-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild.aspx

General / world

– Nintendo previously made Zelda games by making small areas and connecting them together
– For Breath of the Wild, the team first had to figure out what needed to be placed on the map
– Groups were created out of the over 300 devs to work on specific sections of the world
– Game Informer's demo starts at Serenne Stable
– Yammo runs this place
– Link can rest in bed and restore health here
– Stable also lets you store horses, meet with merchants, NPCs
– Stables are located throughout the world
– Each one is run by a distinct character
– You can spend rupees on a more expensive bed, giving you an extra heart the next morning
– These hearts are yellow and can't be recovered if you're hit in combat
– Spending time by fires in the world passes time
– Dynamic weather system in the game, with the world reacting as a result
– Ex: when it starts raining, NPCs outside the stable quickly go inside
– Beedle is back to sell you goods
– Have to be careful during a thunderstorm, since your metal items can attract thunder
– Metal weapons and shields can be discarded or thrown at enemies
– Link can get killed by lightning
– Difficulty dips/spikes depending on where you are, since you can go around it and avoid it until you're stronger
– Over 100 Shrines
– You can find an item that identifies Shrines
– Discover a Shrine for it to be a fast-travel point
– Shrines also give a Spirit Orb
– Trade in orbs for unknown items
– Dedicated team handled animal A.I.
– Bears, wolves, deer move through the snow
– You can get overwhelmed by enemies quickly
– Link can keep multiple horses at a time
– Affection/loyalty important with horses
– Feed and take care of horses to raise their stats
– Can call horses over to you, but horses need to be within a certain proximity to be called
– Horses can be killed by enemies
– Aonuma ”wanted players to choose their own path", so no companion character in this game
– Stamina meter encopasses sprinting, paragliding, climbing
– Meter can be upgraded, but Nintendo won't say how
– Different shields have different speeds and level of control for snowboarding
– Can mine rocks which can be solid for rupees or used for crafting
– Can place stamps to mark areas of interest
– 100 of these symbols can be used on the map, including sword, shield, bow and arrow, pot, star, chest, skull, leaf, diamond
– Every style of weapon has a unique set of animations and feel different
– No invincible weapons in the game, Nintendo says
– UPDATE 2: Zelda can get mad at you and scold you (See below for more details)
– Players can see the ending without seeing everything from the story
– A certain element was added in the game to make for a more cohesive storyline

New dungeon

– Nintendo took Game Informer directly to a dungeon
– This dungeon is constantly moving
– Game Informer says ”Link must manipulate the entire enormous mechanism through his own ingenuity"
– Players can skip dungeons if they want and go straight to Calamity Ganon
– The substance known as malice covers the dungeon
– Link gets hurt if he touches it
– Can be destroyed by finding and attacking each pocket of malice's eyeball
– Sheikah Slate serves as Link's map, binoculars, more
– Use the slate in the dungeon to see a 3D model, tilt the entire dungeon from here
– Doing so slides blocks into place and opens up angles you can use to paraglide to new locations
– Voice tells you that you need to access terminals with the slate across the dungeon, marked on your map
– All bombs in the game are remote and don't blow up on a timer
– UPDATE 1 : Simpler approach with dungeons in Breath of the WIld (Read below for more details)
– Game Informer didn't see the familiar chest opening animation and signature music
– Never found a signature Zelda item or compass
– Wind Blight Ganon is the dungeon boss here
– Voice tells you, ”It's one of Ganon's own. It plays dirty."
– Wind Blight Ganon is a huge monster, has no face, gun-like arm
– Wind Blight Ganon can create tornadoes and will fire large spikes

Credit to: http://nintendoeverything.com/tons-of-new-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-details/
For resume of the article.

UPDATE 1:

Let's talk about the dungeon that GI described. They didn't say it was simpler, they said that Nintendo took a simpler approach to designing the dungeon. First, the dungeons are smaller and less confusing, which means they're not mean to be large maze type dungeons. But stay with me here, he makes it very clear that the elements of what makes a Zelda dungeon a dungeon are very much there. First, there -is- a map "item", it's just not an item, it's a place in the dungeon you have to find to place your Slate into, to "download" the map before you can access it. Secondly, there is no compass item because there's no need for one to point out where the boss room is. Like much of BotW's design, they want the ultimate objective to be clear, so you can see where you need to go from the start. The trick is figuring out how to get there, and to do so you need to naturally path your way through the puzzles and various parts of the dungeon to gain access to your objective. In this case it's an opening at the top, and the solutions are wind based, leading you to an outside area at the top where you fight the boss. Open air battle. So much for "no themes", "all look same", "mechanical assets", or whatever. Lol.

They also mention that Aonuma points out that they are putting a lot of effort into making sure the -approach- to the dungeons are unique and fun as well, so getting into the dungeon feels as fun or more fun than the dungeon itself.

UPDATE 2:

Aonuma talks about Zelda as a character and how reactive she is in the game. He says she has a lot of different emotions in the game and you can discover different sides of her. She will also get mad at you and scold you rather than being passive. But he also says that players might completely miss out on these details depending on what they choose to ignore in the game. Sounds like there's going to be some extensive time spent with an AI Zelda at least.

Alienous

– Simpler approach with dungeons in Breath of the WIld
– Game Informer didn’t see the familiar chest opening animation and signature music
– Never found a signature Zelda item or compass

Well, that's a shame.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
What does "simpler approach" mean? Just that there are no dungeon items?

– No invincible weapons in the game, Nintendo says

What about the Master Sword? Maybe you can use it while it's rusted and it'll break so you have to let it rest/obtain more items or stuff to restore it again.

duckroll

Reopening and bumping this thread because I think the OP is much more informative. Plus the other thread is scary and filled with weirdos talking about pregnant Zelda.

Things I find very interesting in the article:

- Dungeons are confirmed and they are NOT shrines, and furthermore they "move" in the world and getting to the dungeon is as much a challenge as the dungeon itself. Hence dungeons are smaller than those from TP onwards. This lines up perfectly with my expectation that they are making the areas that lead towards dungeons in the world "dungeon-ish" as well. Very cool.

- Again Aonuma confirms you can beat the game without seeing most of the story and can actively ignore events, and suggests that doing so will even change some outcomes. He also talks about his "secret 20 year idea" again and it seems related to the storyline presentation. Maybe related to how it ties into multiple endings?

- You can face the final boss from the start, and you can beat the final boss without completing everything. This... is very interesting to me.

RPGCrazied

I don't like all weapons breaking, that will get annoying fast constantly getting new weapons. Not having the chest jingle is pretty sad too, its been in like every fucking Zelda game.

Reopening and bumping this thread because I think the OP is much more informative. Plus the other thread is scary and filled with weirdos talking about pregnant Zelda.

- Dungeons are confirmed and they are NOT shrines, and furthermore they "move" in the world and getting to the dungeon is as much a challenge as the dungeon itself. Hence dungeons are smaller than those from TP onwards. This lines up perfectly with my expectation that they are making the areas that lead towards dungeons in the world "dungeon-ish" as well. Very cool.

- Again Aonuma confirms you can beat the game without seeing most of the story and can actively ignore events, and suggests that doing so will even change some outcomes. He also talks about his "secret 20 year idea" again and it seems related to the storyline presentation. Maybe related to how it ties into multiple endings?

- You can face the final boss from the start, and you can beat the final boss without completing everything. This... is very interesting to me.
So the dungeons are the moving monsters?

I don't like all weapons breaking, that will get annoying fast constantly get new weapons. Not having the chest jingle is pretty sad too, its been in like every fucking Zelda game.

I mean, from what we've seen spare weapons are fucking everywhere, and you're inventory will probably only grow as you progress so I don't see a huge issue

duckroll

So the dungeons are the moving monsters?

Probably, but no one knows for sure because the GI reporter previewing it wasn't allowed to go find the dungeon himself. Nintendo specifically warped him into the dungeon to allow him to play through it, without knowing the full context of how to get there or where it is.

Chaos17

Thanks mods :)

– Horses can be killed by enemies
I wasn't expecting this, usually horse are invisible in games. I will be so sad if this happen to my horse, lol

– Zelda can get mad at you and scold you
This... need more explanation xD
and details of course.

Waji

But what about the Master Sword?!

So you'll be interacting with Zelda in a non-cutscene type of way. Interesting...maybe she is a companion that joins you
– Aonuma ”wanted players to choose their own path", so no companion character in this game

Maybe the master Sword has to be repaired or something... or just explodes and thats it : D .

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Is there anything in the article to indicate that there are more dungeons then just the 4 big guardians?

duckroll

This... need more explanation xD
and details of course.

Aonuma talks about Zelda as a character and how reactive she is in the game. He says she has a lot of different emotions in the game and you can discover different sides of her. She will also get mad at you and scold you rather than being passive. But he also says that players might completely miss out on these details depending on what they choose to ignore in the game. Sounds like there's going to be some extensive time spent with an AI Zelda at least.

Yup I'm afraid of the dungeons now, I knew something was going to be off with this game and I fear the shrines and dungeons are all going to look alike and have no themes to them.

Jb

I almost regret reading the OP now. All the new small gameplay mechanics sound awesome.

300 devs on a Zelda game sounds insane. Obviously Monolith is helping but still...

The Lamp

I don't want to read the dungeon info but I'm reposting from the other thread.

if anyone knows, could they answer me in PM or spoiler tag the following question with JUST ONE of the answer choices:

Compared to the rumors (rumor spoilers:
), how many traditional dungeons are there?
A) Few
B) Comparable to rumors
C) Many

wrowa

"–Simpler approach with dungeons in Breath of the WIld
– Game Informer didn’t see the familiar chest opening animation and signature music
– Never found a signature Zelda item or compass"

Well, damn. With the assumption going around that there will only be four proper dungeons, I've hoped that those four dungeons will at least be very complex. This, however, kinda reads like the opposite.

Would be rather disappointing to me as I'm kinda worried that the open world gameplay loop could get old relatively quickly.

"– Groups were created out of the over 300 devs to work on specific sections of the world"

I dislike this as well. It obviously makes sense to handle it this way, but they did the same thing in Skyward Sword and as a result the different areas' quality varied wildly.

Chaos17

if anyone knows, could they answer me in PM or spoiler tag the following question with JUST ONE of the answer choices:

A) Few
B) Comparable to rumors
C) Many

There is
0 infos about that

Aurongel

Honestly, even if the game disappoints I have nothing but respect for their team taking the creative risks that they are.

If anything else, it's exciting and fresh.

A) Few
B) Comparable to rumors
C) Many

The article doesn't say, but your spoiler is very likely true. It came from a pre-E3 leak that talked about the 100+ shrines before anyone knew about those. Plus, that number lines up with
the four beasts on the special edition map.

Air

Banned
I'm really excited for this game.

People worrying about the dungeons: I don't think it'll be an issue. Skyward Sword's biggest strength was the lead-up to the dungeon from the over world. In fact, the actual getting to the dungeon part was the best part of the game. If they designed the whole game around that concept in the seamless world, I think it will be a really amazing experience.

Waji

A) Few
B) Comparable to rumors
C) Many
D)
None

Alienous

I like the idea of the bosses being manifestations of Ganon. We can't be sure that all of them are like that, but I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

I hope when they call Wind Blight Ganon 'huge' they're talking Shadow of the Colossus huge. I can't think of a better game to follow up the bosses in that one. Let me put those climbing mechanics to good use, and face big bosses that are better designed than 'The Imprisoned' from Skyward Sword.

duckroll

"–Simpler approach with dungeons in Breath of the WIld
– Never found a signature Zelda item or compass"

Well, damn. With the assumption going around that there will only be four proper dungeons, I've hoped that those four dungeons will at least be very complex. This, however, kinda reads like the opposite.

Would be rather disappointing to me as I'm kinda worried that the open world gameplay loop could get old relatively quickly.

"– Groups were created out of the over 300 devs to work on specific sections of the world"

I dislike this as well. It obviously makes sense to handle it this way, but they did the same thing in Skyward Sword and as a result the different areas' quality varied wildly.

Based on what I've seen, I think Shrines are replacing the parts of dungeons which normally give you new toys and puzzles. So we still have that, but they're in Shrines. The proper dungeons sound like major challenges that are more objective based rather than the toybox design, and getting to the dungeon in the first place sounds like an outdoors dungeon in itself.

MoonFrog

Hmmmmm.....We'll see. I'm hyped despite myself, but I'm pretty leery of just how far from aLttP-SS this thing seems to be going. IDK. I hope I like it, but I'm really into the Zelda formula so it definitely could fail to go over well with me.

Well, I guess I liked SS when that went over so poorly with so many and my issues with TP were fairly mild as well. So perhaps it is my turn.

It is just that the dungeon talk sounds really weird to me. That and I liked my Zelda gadgets. I don't really like the idea of physics puzzles and an open tool chest.

But yet, I'm really excited. Have been ever since they started showing trailers with towns, airships, Zelda, etc. I just hope all my misgivings melt away instead of being juxtaposed against this hype for deep disappointment.

What I really hope is that a traditional Metroid or Zelda comes out at some point. I've been starved of that content for too long.

– Aonuma “wanted players to choose their own path”, so no companion character in this game

No companion as in no navi or fi, not no companion as in no NPC to help you out. Clearly that isn't the case since wolf Link is a companion, we've seen the different races have a larger role, AND a Gamexplains video has a character fighting with link that looks like the Ruto

The Lamp

Based on what I've seen, I think Shrines are replacing the parts of dungeons which normally give you new toys and puzzles. So we still have that, but they're in Shrines. The proper dungeons sound like major challenges that are more objective based rather than the toybox design, and getting to the dungeon in the first place sounds like an outdoors dungeon in itself.

I hope so. My favorite part of SS is the lead into dungeons.

RPGCrazied

Wonder what happens when you complete a main dungeon. Get an extra heart piece, equipment upgrade(but I guess that is what the mini shrines are for)? Apparently not story related items will be in them.

I'm okay with all of this.

Top Bottom