• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This Sony handheld device patent looks familiar

You say that but you are about to buy a switch having already owned a Vita so you will buy two handhelds :)

Just face it. They already control your every move!

Lol, Vita means life, but seriously it's a dying plattform and we'll never get a single game coming even close to a Zelda ever again or a racing game like Mario Kart, or a 3d Plattformer or a shooter etc. etc. that's why I'll have to buy the Switch to satiate my handheld gaming and the fact, that Nintendo will/might/should focuse their entire dev teams on one plattform is THE killer app for me.

-shadow-

555x385.jpg
Damn it! What I thought of! 😂

Edit: oh why not!

Skyzard

Banned
Hnnnnnnnngggg

Lol, Vita means life, but seriously it's a dying plattform and we'll never get a single game coming even close to a Zelda ever again or a racing game like Mario Kart, or a 3d Plattformer or a shooter etc. etc. that's why I'll have to buy the Switch to satiate my handheld gaming and the fact, that Nintendo will/might/should focuse their entire dev teams on one plattform is THE killer app for me.

right.... I got a wiiu anyway. Not getting a switch for a while.

you got time sony.

Obviously Sony has a concept like this just simmering somewhere, with a very modest budget going to R&D.
In the off chance that the Nintendo Switch actually blows up and becomes hugely popular, Sony is going to enter that market as well.

A Sony mole infiltrated Nintendo while they were toying around with the idea of Switch and came back with this patent 👀👀👀

Now Sony is copying Nintendo's stuff almost 2 years before it's even announced?

Sad.

I heard this patent is not for new console but rather for a controller....
It might be just stuff you put on smart phone for remote play,
or just vita go with only remote play functionality.

Looking at the patent referenced in the article the device presented is not referencing a modular design or detachable controllers like you find in the Switch.

The reason why there's some space between the body of the console and the controlling parts is because of the vibration method intended to use, so the user warps the hands around the controllers better. This is also why it has two protunding elements or surfaces in the handles.

For what i could see the bulk of the patent description centers around a Vibration method. It does use a traditional off centered mass to generate the vibrations but there's also some up and down play with the handles themsleves.

Would like to hear what someone else who looked at the patent or a native speaker things of it.

Patent filed in 2015.

Your post is still amusing, though.
Well, Nintendo was showing the end product to various developers in early 2016 and it take years to reach that state. The Sony patent was filled in August of 2015. SO there was enough time.

But anywy, like i said above it seems it is not a modular device or have any emphasis on detachable parts.

I said this before and no one paid attention.
It's like everyone has short memories lol

Collectively as a society, we do tend to have a short-term memory that is often highlighted through social media.

That being said, I recall Sony filed a patent about the time the PS4 was releasing for a new design on Move controllers as well as a DualShock 4 that could split in two.

What. Is. This.

Fake?

Sony still thinking about dipping in the handheld field?

Patent was filed 3 years after the Vita was launched. When was it declared dead again??

Should I get my hopes up for a Vita successor?

Doesn't look fake. But I wouldn't get your hopes up either. Sony has a habit of patenting ideas that never come to fruition.

Yeah, this is not a tablet. It looks like PS Vita buttons.

I don't think this will ever come out though.

How can you discern those buttons for PS Vita ones? They literally are all the same style. Also, the VIta buttons were actually smaller than both the PSP and PS4. These look to be bigger than the Vita's.

Come on Sony, please do this. Unashamedly copy what you need to copy from the Switch, improve on the core concepts and us dozen Vita owners will enjoy the successor!!!!

Salex_

"Proper dpad"
d4%20dpad%20close.jpg

http://replygif.net/i/189.gif

My, how the world has changed.

I didn't notice the Dualshock 4 didn't have a proper d-pad until people kept talking about the Switch's dpad. I don't have any execution problems in any fighting games using the Dualshock 4 dpad and 2d platformers feels perfectly fine. I hope the Switch controller feels the same.

I think the lack of the downward slope towards the middle of the dpad is going to prevent it from feeling as good as the DS4. The Switch dpad really just looks like regular buttons from the screenshots.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Oh we're doing that thing where Nintendo invented everything again.

Jlp2dPi.jpg

Branduil

The Vita was a massive failure even though it had a number of technological advantages versus the 3DS. I can't imagine how badly a new Sony handheld would do when it would basically just be "Nintendo Switch minus the Nintendo games." Ultimately it would die for the same reason Wii U died: because it's impossible for first parties to actually support two separate platforms in the context of modern AAA game development. And it wouldn't even have the indie advantage this time, since all those games would be on the Switch too. I don't doubt this patent is real, but there's really no reason for Sony to ever follow through on it. It makes just as much sense for Sony to try and compete in the handheld arena as it does for Nintendo to try and compete in the cutting-edge home console arena, which is to say none.

Mediking

The Vita was a massive failure even though it had a number of technological advantages versus the 3DS. I can't imagine how badly a new Sony handheld would do when it would basically just be "Nintendo Switch minus the Nintendo games." Ultimately it would die for the same reason Wii U died: because it's impossible for first parties to actually support two separate platforms in the context of modern AAA game development. And it wouldn't even have the indie advantage this time, since all those games would be on the Switch too. I don't doubt this patent is real, but there's really no reason for Sony to ever follow through on it. It makes just as much sense for Sony to try and compete in the handheld arena as it does for Nintendo to try and compete in the cutting-edge home console arena, which is to say none.

+2000000 You explained the situation very well and clearly and I agree with you fully.

KarmaCow

I didn't notice the Dualshock 4 didn't have a proper d-pad until people kept talking about the Switch's dpad. I don't have any execution problems in any fighting games using the Dualshock 4 dpad and 2d platformers feels perfectly fine. I hope the Switch controller feels the same.

I think the lack of the downward slope towards the middle of the dpad is going to prevent it from feeling as good as the DS4. The Switch dpad really just looks like regular buttons from the screenshots.

That's because the DS4 dpad is not split despite its appearance and is actually a single element on a rocker like every other good dpad.

OCD Guy

because it's impossible for first parties to actually support two separate platforms in the context of modern AAA game development. .

Exactly, which is why b teams were making games.

The best solution is to simply have one library and multiple hardware. The same principle steam uses, app stores etc.

To be honest it's already the path Sony and Microsoft seem to be taking, so consumers would be used to it, and I can see Nintendo going down that route too. If the switch does well they'll replace the 3ds with a device without detachable joycons perhaps that is cheaper, and again access to the same games.

I certainly wouldn't rule it out that Sony could come out with a portable device that has access to the same library as their consoles.

I think that's the way forward now, as opposed to having lot's of different titles specific to certain hardware, even exclusives themselves are becoming a thing of the past, and certainly not as common as they were.

Salex_

That's because the DS4 dpad is not split despite its appearance and is actually a single element on a rocker like every other good dpad.

Ah, makes sense. This is definitely why it feels great (never looked at the dpad after pressing it lol) . I have no hope for the Switch's dpad now.

Wii U Pro Controller needs to be patched in.

Blueingreen

That being said, I recall Sony filed a patent about the time the PS4 was releasing for a new design on Move controllers as well as a DualShock 4 that could split in two.

I remember reading about this concept way back in 09/10, These companies file hundreds of patents but the vast majority never make it past the diagram .

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
There is no way Sony is making another handheld. They don't have enough developers to support PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5 in 2019 AND a handheld which would be pushing 1tflop of performance.

That is a great D-pad.

Sure it's not an original Nintendo D-pad but even Nintendo is ditching that shit because of reasons.

yeah, reasons. i guess the player with the left joy con would be happy to have an analog stick and a D pad to play.

I'm quite pissed that there isn't a D pad on the thing but come on, the reason is obvious.

I'm genuinely not adverse to another Sony handheld.
I've squeezed as much life as I can with my Vita since launch day (although hilariously, I'm still trying to beat P4G!)

But Sony doesn't have the studio manpower to ever give such a device a good software push. PS4 and PSVR are the focus for all resources currently.

Hahahaha 10/10

Hoo-doo

Banned
yeah, reasons. i guess the player with the left joy con would be happy to have an analog stick and a D pad to play.

I'm quite pissed that there isn't a D pad on the thing but come on, the reason is obvious.

It's a compromised D-pad because of the form-factor they decided on. The reason why was never in contention, but the fact that it's not a proper D-pad remains.
The hybrid design comes with a ton of compromises like that, it's up in the air whether the positives outweigh the negatives in the end.

Zomba13

"Proper dpad"
d4%20dpad%20close.jpg

189.gif

My, how the world has changed.

You do realise that the DS4 D-Pad is all a singular piece of plastic? Like a normal D-Pad? It's just underneath the shell as opposed to above it like on other things. The Switch doesn't have a D-Pad but individual buttons, like the ABXY buttons, and not a singular d-pad. It being a single thing is what makes them feel good and make diagonals and fighting game motions feel smooth.

yurinka

You guys know that if Sony comes out with a new handheld it's not going to be a PS4 portable. That's not feasible with current technology, especially the architecture they went with for PS4.
If some day Sony releases a new portable, makes sense that it would be a PS4 -or PS5- portable. Other than that it wouldn't make sense.

Exclusive Vita games were too expensive and its market too small, but if all the games of the portable are crossbuy and the port takes virtually zero effort, it would work.

Today, a PS4 portable wouldn't be possible specially at a reasonable price, but maybe in a few years will be possible, for a PS4p or a PS5p.

DS had arguably more support than any home console. I'm solely basing this on memory and not researched facts.
Only a few non-portable AAA IPs got decent versions for DS. Some of them got decent PSP/Vita versions instead, and a lot don't decent portable versions.

Branduil

The Switch doesn't actually have a D-pad... even Nintendo explicitly calls them "direction buttons" because there's no actual pad. The best hope for a decent D-pad will probably require an after-market add-on that sticks over the top of them.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Now Sony is copying Nintendo's stuff almost 2 years before it's even announced?

Sad.

Like Bill Hicks said about Denis Leary stealing his material: "I have a scoop for you. I stole his act. I camouflaged it with punchlines, and to really throw people off, I did it before he did.”

hemo memo

Gold Member

I think the majority bought the PS4 becuase it's a good platform to play 3rd party games. PS4 was selling like crazy with all Sony 1st party games getting delayed.

newbong95

If some day Sony releases a new portable, makes sense that it would be a PS4 -or PS5- portable.

Exclusive Vita games were too expensive and its market too small, but if all the games of the portable are crossbuy and the port takes virtually zero effort, it would work.

Today, a PS4 portable wouldn't be possible specially at a reasonable price, but maybe in a few years will be possible, for a PS4p or a PS5p.

If ps5 features arm cpu as a base and a low power custom amd gpu then maybe it will enable scalability beautifully . A portable and a home based sku .

OryoN

I actually wish Sony was releasing something like this later this fall. If for nothing, at least just for some people to understand how unrealistic and flawed their ideas are of what "powerful hardware" means in the hybrid console space. With Nintendo being the only ones, certain folks don't quite know where to set realistic expectations, I believe.

Some want 1080p screen, near PS4 power, 8 CPU cores, hundreds of GB of storace, 8 GB RAM, with several hrs battery life, all at $199.99 tops, in a device that can fit comfortably into your pocket. Obviously, I threw several individual requests/comments together for greater effect, but the point is the same; Having another hybrid system may actually bring some much-needed perspective adjustment.

This is really interesting. It looks fully functional with shoulder buttons, triggers, stick clicks, etc. And it doesn't look like a bitch to hold either.

This is really interesting. It looks fully functional with shoulder buttons, triggers, stick clicks, etc. And it doesn't look like a bitch to hold either.

Yeah I like the design. Even if they just released it as a cheapish remote play device I'd be down for it.

Kill3r7

Sure in the the sense that hey the TV is occupied, I will use this device to play Bloodborne on rather than streaming it on my iPad and using a PS4 controller. This thing is not really portable friendly but neither is the switch.

Top Bottom