• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch dev talk – 50,000 yen for a kit, Capcom wants to make AAA games, much more

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://nintendoeverything.com/switc...kit-capcom-wants-to-make-aaa-games-much-more/

Much more at the jump above.

Earlier today, the Game Creators Conference was held in Japan. At the event, Nintendo's Masaru Mitsuyoshi held a joint session with Capcom's Masaru Ijuin about Switch.

One big thing to get out of the way: Switch development kits. These are planned for a cost of roughly 50,000 yen. If you're doing a direct conversion, that'd be about $450 / $500.

Originally, the Joy-Con controllers were still in the research phase and weren't included in explanation document.
Ijuin from Capcom said that there was only a touch panel form factor and nothing like the Joy-Con. Because of that, he wasn't sure in what way the device would be portable. Then after the Joy-Con appeared, he though ”I got it!".

Hardware specs for Switch focus on high performance and low power. It means you can achieve nVidia GeForce's high performance capability in TV mode, and you also can use the same device running with battery in tabletop mode and portable mode.

jonno394

Hopefully this means indie devs can start getting them soon (the one's that weren't already companies Nintendo wanted to work with, like Zeboyd Games)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The tidbits from Capcom's Masaru Ijuin are interesting as well

Next, the talk shifted to developing games while hardware is also in development. Capcom had been working on Ultra Street Fighter II for the new system. They are using their original engine MT Framework for the time being. The engine has plenty of actual results already and it had previously run on Nintendo hardware, so it made sense to use the technology. Lots of staff at Capcom are used to the engine as well.

To implement Switch compatibility with the MT Framework, Capcom begin to develop an environment to quickly examine the hardware right away. They initially excluded support of hardware-specific features and also excluded sound and network support. After this, Capcom began to develop a PC emulation environment in parallel. If you use Nintendo providing GPU emulator, you can recreate same shader on PC. With Switch, the emulator is enhanced and it is now more easy to create a PC emulator. It’s very easy to do iterations on PC, so the advantage is quite big.

One month was used to understand tools, development environment, and the SDK. Since they had been busy working on other titles, they only could secure two programmers. But with only one month with two people, they could port basic engine features.

The reason why it only took a couple of months was because the staff were accustomed to porting. Previously, they developed a Wii U version MT Framework. Also helping the situation was how the hardware structure was easy to understand, and they could use experience of creating convert process from HLSL to GLSL.

The port process was overwhelmingly faster than 3DS or Wii U. On 3DS, it took four months with four people. On Wii U, it took three months with five people. Hardware structure was very easy to understand and it also had similarity to Wii U, so that they could achieve it in a month with two people.

About main memory space, Capcom had told Nintendo that the initially planned space wasn’t enough. If you comparing to what’s inside other current-gen systems, it would definitely be short. In the end, Capcom’s request was accepted and the memory capacity became as per to their expectation.

Finally, Capcom is looking into having the Resident Evil engine be capable for Nintendo Switch. The company also wants to develop AAA titles for Switch.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
😈😈😈

sounds like they really got their shit together for Switch

bring on MonHun, RE: Revelations 3 and all sorts of goodies

why buy a dev kit for 50k when you can buy the switch itself for 30k???

rofl idiots
61536158.jpg

Juice

Of course the price that Nintendo charges doesn't matter if they don't make the kits widely available.

The stories of developers having to hound Nintendo for kits in past generations come to mind.

Soph

About main memory space, Capcom had told Nintendo that the initially planned space wasn’t enough. If you comparing to what’s inside other current-gen systems, it would definitely be short. In the end, Capcom’s request was accepted and the memory capacity became as per to their expectation.

Really, but gaf told me Nintendo never listened to third party

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

Yes I thought that was very interesting.

Cartho

Give us Monster Hunter Capcom! Or.... DINO CRISIS REBOOT.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what games can look like on Switch when they've been 100% from the ground up built for it. Let's face it, most of the stuff we've seen so far has been Wii U ports / originally designed for Wii U.

That's... Incredibly cheap for a dev kit. For reference, previous dev kits from any of the big three can range into the thousands of dollars. The dev kit costs are still higher than the retail system, but the extra bits that enable stuff like real-time debugging is a big part of the extra cost.

Im a big ninty fan myself but you are not being very fair here. Nintendo has historically operated in a vaccuum. Im glad they are righting the ship so to speak with the switch but yeah. Be fair.

I wonder what the original memory size was - Wii U has 2GB, Switch 4GB, did Nintendo really plan on having only 2GB again?! Good thing third-party developers complained!

KAL2006

Banned
What Capcom games use MT Framework. I know MvC4 will use Unreal 4 which is also supported on Switch.

I'm hoping we get MvC4 on Switch even if it means it's a watered down version. The game doesn't look that demanding and MvC3 managed to be ported on the Vita.

nightside

The tidbits from Capcom's Masaru Ijuin are interesting as well

Well, nice. It's quite interesting that capcom specifically requested the memory to be upped. Even the thing that they are looking into porting REengine to the switch. Quite the opposite of what happened with the wii u "are you gonna use your new engine on wii u?" "oh lol, no, but our last generation engine will be perfect".

What Capcom games use MT Framework. I know MvC4 will use Unreal 4 which is also supported on Switch.

I'm hoping we get MvC4 on Switch even if it means it's a watered down version. The game doesn't look that demanding and MvC3 managed to be ported on the Vita.

Because i plan on using the switch mostly in portable mode, downgrades and such just wont matter to me as much. Plus maybe I just dont have an eye for these things.

Went too a buds house last night and he showed me the witcher 3 on his computer and I couldnt really tell the difference from my ps4. Too be fair though I was sitting much closer to his tv then I was to mine so.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Talking about devkits a couple of weeks before launch.

Soph

Im a big ninty fan myself but you are not being very fair here. Nintendo has historically operated in a vaccuum. Im glad they are righting the ship so to speak with the switch but yeah. Be fair.

I'm sure you were present at every talk Capcom and Nintendo ever had I imagine?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yes I thought that was very interesting.

Strangely enough, Nintendo listening to what Capcom says is not exactly unprecedented (unlike some Western partnerships)

http://www.revogamers.net/noticias/...-modo-control-tactil-y-una-sorpresa-5401.html

via

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=404493

According to Ono (Street Fighter 4 producer), Nintendo will improve the D-Pad
We just interviewed Ono-san on the 3DS versions. He talked TONS of stuff, such a nice guy!

I'll have more details after reviewing the interview, but for now, he told us there will be a new, easier touch control mode aside from traditional controls, same 35 characters - version will be 'exactly the same' as in HD, and 3D effect is like if you put the characters in a box and you can feel the depth.

Moreover, he presented 'Street Fighter Fit' to Capcom. It was a Wii game, but then he was told about the 3DS. The 3DS D-Pad is not final, still changing and 'coming closer to what the SFIV team prefers'. Oh, SSFIV 3DS will have a 'surprise that can only be done on the 3DS'. He says we'll know more on a month an a half

Lol...here we go. Save your snark for someone else. Its fact that Nintendo has often turned many a blind eye to the wants/wishes of third parties. For the sake of not shitting up this thread lets agree to disagree.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
The port process was overwhelmingly faster than 3DS or Wii U. On 3DS, it took four months with four people. On Wii U, it took three months with five people. The hardware structure was very easy to understand and it also had similarities to Wii U, so that they could achieve it in a month with two people.

I am glad with this.

Talking about devkits a couple of weeks before launch.

What's wrong with that? Honest question

But he is right. Nintendo often lived in their own bubble and didn't care for what others wanted.
Look at cardridges for the N64, no DVD for the GC and so on.
As in everything else they go their own way but sometimes it is not wrong to take some advice. They learned it the hard way with the Wii U.

opricnik

Banned

SF5 runs pretty bad on laptops. Not sure if its any indicator but. For example mortal kombat XL runs much better on same laptops(ue 3 modified)

Top Bottom