• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFT War of the Lions translation sacrifices readability for pretentious prose

harry potter book said:
'She is no niece of ours, my Lord,' she cried over the outpouring of mirth. 'We – Narcissa and I – have never set eyes on our sister since she married the Mudblood. This brat has nothing to do with either of us, nor any beast she marries.

such an obscure word

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Hm. With all the vile garbage that gets said in gaming scripts now-a-days, what was put as examples here is absolutely pleasant! People think swears and speaking about "mature" themes makes gaming feel more adult; but I'd argue that having scripts that feel like they've taken more into account than "can a teen understand or laugh at this?" feels much more involved, and written for a well-developed reading audience.

There's such a similarity of narrative voice in much of gaming lately. Similar Narrative snark, similar irreverence, etc. I welcome the experiences that actually attempt to expand of enrich my vocabulary.

fvng

This thread made me excited to play this game on my phone sometime! Really enjoy well done dialogues in media, reminds me a lot of elmore leanord (well, it's been awhile since I've read anything of his, but I just rewatched justified and in my memory he wrote the short stories that way).

Top ten game of all time, don't slack

I doubt you've come across the word mirth before. And as a native speaker, if I and (most likely) the majority of other native speakers do not understand the meaning of key words in a mere 2 sentence passage, I would not call that passage surprisingly understandable.

Used countless of times in a series of children's books, originally written in English, that has sold half a billion copies, lol. Children's. Books.

I mean if people still missed that, then they should pick up a book. WotL's translation makes it read like a beautifully written book. It's fantastic, and difficult to pick up meaning from context. English isn't even my first language.

I feel that it's less of the translators being pretentious, and more of the readers complaining about words they don't know because they don't hear or read beyond social media. Instead of complaining, why not treat WotL like an alternative to reading a book? Depending the reader it can be more engaging than just reading a book.

There can definitely be a lot to grind. It is actually one of the reasons I prefer it to FFT. TO just kept on going and going and going. I actually enjoyed grinding up classes to try different strategies later.
For the most part, it is similar to FFT in that a few strategies that are available fairly early can carry you through most of the game so if you only wanted 1 run through for the overall story then you don't really need to grind too much.
Right, but it feels like such a missed opportunity to not use any of the new classes/characters. Wish I could find a save editor. I'm not even opposed to a bit of grind - say if the game had a steep curve- but grinding level 1 characters is SUPER BORING.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Look OP absolutely does not deserved to be attacked for this opinion. Calling OP an idiot, or worse, a Trump supporter ain't right.

That said I freaking love WotL's script. It's flowery in the best sense. It doesn't obfuscate it's meaning and manages to evoke the feel of an English-language play. I would argue that calling its prose pretentious is missing the point. It has no pretences of being more than what it is, and arguing that it "sacrifices readability for pretentious prose" is underestimating the reading level of the game's audience, I think.

I personally had no problem with any of the examples shown in the thread or the OP and, unless I'm misremembering (it's been a bit since I actually played the game), I had no problem with parsing the game.

Also, LOL at "mirth" being an obscure word.

Also also,
I am remind
<3

Feep

Banned
We can all point to this thread when others decry the lack of writing standards in video games.

Just giving the people what they want.

We can all point to this thread when others decry the lack of writing standards in video games.

Just giving the people what they want.
Every time I see a game where an nondescript force of evil called 'the darkness' takes over I want to kill myself.

Looking at you destiny .

WOTL's writing is mostly excellent.

The thread title states that this game's translation sacrifices readability. It doesn't.
You might not like the flavored prose, but it is not sacrificing readability over that.

I appreciate you think so man. I really like the localisation personally, but I can see where someone else might feel otherwise is all. Like literally, I've read through the thread and can see posts that say otherwise. I just don't see the point in trying to summarise the thread as OP being objectively wrong when not everyone has said that.

Loved the writing in this game. We only ever got the PSP release in Europe, so us Europeasants never got to experience the original PSX version, therefore since it was my first exposure to Ivalice, I ended up loving it and its dated prose that told me of what the worldview and setting was like right away. The dialogue with the music helped suck me into that atmosphere and storyline and I was engrossed throughout.

It's one of my favourite RPGs ever because of its writing (story, characters and the dialogue), actually, so I am like the complete opposite with regards to this opinion by the OP. But it's okay, since he's/she's a fan of Nier. ;)

I've never heard it before. I would have to look it up. What's it mean, money?

Um not really since he backed up his points well throughout the thread. I don't think you know what that word means.

The poster who's allegedly never heard the word "mirth" before is now lecturing us on the definition of a thread backfire. (And yeah, this thread qualifies. Most posters strongly disagree with the OP = backfire.)

To avoid misanthropy I'm going to just assume some of you are being ironic, or at worst deliberately contrary. Funny jokes, guys, now let's get back to understanding extremely basic English!

Also OP should maybe get a doctor to check out all that cringing he's apparently suffering from, that doesn't seem normal or healthy.

Voras

You're searching for the use of a word in a limited selection of books that are written by people with literary or journalistic backgrounds who tend to have larger vocabularies than the average person.

That in no way shows that the word isn't obscure in modern discourse or modern writings (and as my prior post implied, modern writings includes much more than works of fiction).

Stephen King and J.K. Rowling are two of the most popular writers in the world. This isn't old literature that people are talking about, but books for children and casual reading.You may not have come into contact with that word but it's silly to say because you didn't understand a word in a game that the translation is bad. Look for context clues if you don't get a word. Part of the point of reading is to expand your vocabulary.

Famassu

"I am come" and "I mislike this" are not cringe? haha, K bro. Not impossible to understand, just needlessly flowery
"I am come" is three very simple words. I don't think you understand what flowery means. "I mislike this" sounds a bit silly but flowery it is not, either.

I don't understand being so against slightly different style of speech or something that isn't exactly like a language in real life. It's an imaginary fantasy world, they are free to be creative in the usage of language so long as the intent isn't too obfuscated. It doesn't sound exactly like medieval English (or what a slightly poetic modern image of medieval speech is) because it doesn't take place in medieval England.

let's play a game

who? said:
Already men were jumping into the water on every side. Women and children were being huddled into laden boats in the market-pool. Weapons were flung down. There was mourning and weeping, where but a little time ago the old songs of mirth to come had been sung about the dwarves. Now men cursed their names. The Master himself was turning to his great gilded boat, hoping to row away in the confusion and save himself. Soon all the town would be deserted and burned down to the surface of the lake.

who? said:
The sellsword captain Bloodbeard accompanied them with a leathern sack slung across one massive shoulder and a look of mirth and murder on his face

who? said:
She smiled without mirth. "Now you know something of the real training they give us," she said. Hawat tried to swallow in a dry throat. Her command had been regal, preemptory--uttered in a tone and manner he had found completely irresistible. His body had obeyed her before he could think about it. Nothing could have prevented his response--not logic, not passionate anger . . . nothing. To do what she had done spoke of a sensitive, intimate knowledge of the person thus commanded, a depth of control he had not dreamed possible

which video game? said:
What's wrong? Is something stuck to my face? Why yes! There's my eyes, and my nose, and my mouth...But of course I jest. You need not restrain your mirth, my friend! It is okay to indulge in my cosmopolitan sense of humor. I will not think less of you.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Some somebody say... backfire?

RETRANSLATION:

Your desire has not played out as planned. The backfire is strong in this thread.

(Which isn't exactly true, as OP defended his points and has several people who agree with him)

Not liking purple prose =/= not wanting good writing in games. Let's not jump to extremes.

Famassu

Some somebody say... backfire?

RETRANSLATION:

Your desire has not played out as planned. The backfire is strong in this thread.

(Which isn't exactly true, as OP defended his points and has several people who agree with him)

Not liking purple prose =/= not wanting good writing in games. Let's not jump to extremes.
None of the examples except maybe the first in the OP are all that purple-y, and even then it has been pointed out in this thread why that particular character's style of dialogue makes sense. Purple prose is the kind that uses 30 words (often hard to pronounce ones) to describe something that could be done in less than 10. "I am come", "You speak false!", "Make your purpose plain", "What news have you?" and "Still your tongue" are about as far from purple prose as possible. Archaic, stylized and/or more poetic than typical speach, but far from purple prose. Even the longest line of dialogue in the OP's pics ("A soldier does not live to become old and grey charging onto the field of battle unawares") is fairly straightforward prose. The "and grey" could be argued to be a bit redundant but otherwise there's really not that many simpler ways of saying "A soldier won't live (a) long (life) by going into battle without a plan" or something.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
None of the examples except maybe the first in the OP are all that purple-y, and even then it has been pointed out in this thread why that particular character's style of dialogue makes sense. Purple prose is the kind that uses 30 words (often hard to pronounce ones) to describe something that could be done in less than 10. "I am come", "You speak false!", "Make your purpose plain", "What news have you?" and "Still your tongue" are about as far from purple prose as possible. Archaic, stylized and/or more poetic than typical speach, but far from purple prose. Even the longest line of dialogue in the OP's pics ("A soldier does not live to become old and grey charging onto the field of battle unawares") is fairly straightforward prose. The "and grey" could be argued to be a bit redundant but otherwise there's really not that many simpler ways of saying "A soldier won't live (a) long (life) by going into battle without a plan" or something.
Alright, then let's go with "superfluously stylized."

Lothar

Banned
The poster who's allegedly never heard the word "mirth" before is now lecturing us on the definition of a thread backfire. (And yeah, this thread qualifies. Most posters strongly disagree with the OP = backfire.)

The point of making the thread was making a case for something that most people disagreed with. That was expected that most would disagree. He made a controversial topic and it created a discussion. He was also capable of defending his opinion. Very successful and interesting thread. He did good.

Every time I see a game where an nondescript force of evil called 'the darkness' takes over I want to kill myself.

Looking at you destiny .

WOTL's writing is mostly excellent.

100% agreed. That kind of writing is painful and, at this point, generic.

This is the Enemy that killed Storytelling.

In the "so annoying to read it breaks the flow" category, nothing beats the DS remakes of Dragon Quest. FFT's new localization is great. As a non native speaker I almost had to speak aloud some words because those games are so heavy in the usage of contractions and words that are spelled as they are spoken with the local accent that I wouldn't recognize those words otherwise.

announce-ds-e.png

Japanese is also a much more direct language than (well written) English tends to be. There's a reason those old Final Fantasy fan translations are largely mocked around these parts.

This is the opposite of being true? Japanese is not generally very direct, requiring translators to fill in the blanks.

Time for a Trumpian translation. More people in the heartland need to play this game.

"Don't blame us. Blame yourself or God." stays in, of course.

That was one of the worst mistakes in the PS1 translation considering the Glabados Church is polytheistic, not monotheistic.

jblank83

In the "so annoying to read it breaks the flow" category, nothing beats the DS remakes of Dragon Quest. FFT's new localization is great. As a non native speaker I almost had to speak aloud some words because those games are so heavy in the usage of contractions and words spelled as they are spoken with the local accent that I wouldn't recognize those words otherwise.

announce-ds-e.png

To each their own.

Personally I loved the DQ 4 accents.
Made for amusing, entertaining reading.

mieumieu

In the "so annoying to read it breaks the flow" category, nothing beats the DS remakes of Dragon Quest. FFT's new localization is great. As a non native speaker I almost had to speak aloud some words because those games are so heavy in the usage of contractions and words that are spelled as they are spoken with the local accent that I wouldn't recognize those words otherwise.

announce-ds-e.png

DQIV was not voiced, so the text imitates the accent. If it was voiced, the subtitles would not have been like this.

edit: I read this in my former line managers voice (he is from Yorkshire) which is awesome :D

MechaX

What makes it superfluous?

Yeah, I feel like I am missing the plot at this point.

What makes WotL more superfluous than something like XII or Vagrant Story? If even those are "superfluous" in some kind of negative connotation...

And I don't think there is a video game that comes close to purple prose. And there damn sure isn't one that is "Old English." There are year long graduate courses dedicated to getting through something like Beowulf (which is not even that long) in Old English.

SolVanderlyn

What makes it superfluous?
I find the stylized translation unnecessary, and thus superfluous. "You speak false" could simply be "You're lying", "Make your purpose plain" could be "Speak clearly", "I mislike this" could be "I have a bad feeling about this".

I just much prefer something in line with the more straightforward Japanese script. I do acknowledge that it is a matter of taste.

What makes WotL more superfluous than something like XII or Vagrant Story? If even those are "superfluous" in some kind of negative connotation...
I didn't like it in those games either. In fact, it's the first thing I noticed. It's not as egregious in XII, though.

announce-ds-e.png
This, though. This is one that is far worse. WotL's translation annoys me, but not on this level.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I've never heard it before. I would have to look it up. What's it mean, money?
Don't you read ASoIaF?

I've never encountered it in any modern writing in the US. Not in television, movies, games, news articles, op-ed's or research papers. I've never heard anyone use it in conversation or during a speech either.
Can't help but notice books are notably absent from your little list.

Read more books, lol. I'm a non-native English speaker and I've known what mirth means since I started reading English novels (when I was 12-13)...

You're searching for the use of a word in a limited selection of books that are written by people with literary or journalistic backgrounds who tend to have larger vocabularies than the average person.

That in no way shows that the word isn't obscure in modern discourse or modern writings (and as my prior post implied, modern writings includes much more than works of fiction).
Stephen King and JK Rowling are obscure writers with highly advanced literary skills? LOL

This is honestly embarrassing. Seriously, read some goddamn books

"I mislike this" could be "I have a bad feeling about this".
Yes, that totally-not-cliched phrase would truly be superior writing /s

SolVanderlyn

Yes, that totally-not-cliched phrase would truly be superior writing /s
You know Star Wars didn't invent that commonly-used-in-everyday-life phrase.

Top Bottom