• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Nintendo Switch has been taken apart

Broken Hope is talking about the straw men hiding under his bed...

What is wrong with some people? I mean, most of the folk in this thread has been wonderfully active in the discussion, trying to figure out what's inside the Switch. Then we have some coming here, yelling about people talking about better than PS4Pro and how delusional people are...

Then we have the one who just loves Ls.

There has been absolutely no single person that has said that the Switch will be even on par with XBOne. They are speaking about what the Switch can theoretically achieve, as in best case scenario. They are not saying it will be that, in fact most of them add that they believe it's something little less powerful than the aforementioned best case. Why people try to derail a wonderful tech thread spouting nonsense about things no one has said?

Chinese speaking guys, the usual Switch thread suspects and other sensible folk who actually try to engage in discussion... You're great! Keep on trucking!

TLZ

Banned
Just out of interest, why do people repeatedly say they don't want a powerhouse console from Nintendo, that they would prefer they did their own thing and then spend many, many pages trying to work out if Nintendo have some hidden hardware, or if their hardware is actually more powerful than it first seems?

They did the same for the Wii U and now the Switch, I thought hardware power didn't matter?

Beats me. If it's weak, they say only art matters. If they ever do release a powerful one that makes Nintendo's art shine proper, they'll be over the moon and be nonstop raving. I know I will.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So it supports what is shown here?

81463e01213fb80ebd84706pkp.jpg

Again, the GPU clocks in this don't match the GFLOPS however you calculate. And there is a typo, core-croe. This is most likely a fake.

As for the actual leak in this thread, the fact that the storage is 32GB means that it is a retail like defective unit.

kikonawa

34zz9Nu.jpg

Dat L-shaped heat pipe. FoxConn leak strikes again!

[Edit: Nvidia weren't kidding about how much work went into this thing to make it possible, from all facets. Just looking at the dense, yet clean and thoughtful layout of the board is telling. It makes certain comments about the system hardware kinda lame, as though it's a trivial thing to add more RAM, Battery capacity, storage, etc, in a space this tiny. It's a real disservice to engineers who devoted that much time and effort. I'm impressed, and hope for a round-table event similar to "Iwata Ask" special that detailed Wii U design]

Begs the question, why this small? They could have made a bigger tablet

Cuningas de Häme;230645050 said:
Broken Hope is talking about the straw men hiding under his bed...

What is wrong with some people? I mean, most of the folk in this thread has been wonderfully active in the discussion, trying to figure out what's inside the Switch. Then we have some coming here, yelling about people talking about better than PS4Pro and how delusional people are...

Then we have the one who just loves Ls.

There has been absolutely no single person that has said that the Switch will be even on par with XBOne. They are speaking about what the Switch can theoretically achieve, as in best case scenario. They are not saying it will be that, in fact most of them add that they believe it's something little less powerful than the aforementioned best case. Why people try to derail a wonderful tech thread spouting nonsense about things no one has said?

Chinese speaking guys, the usual Switch thread suspects and other sensible folk who actually try to engage in discussion... You're great! Keep on trucking!

Just to get this out of the way before I'm accused of being a fanboy, I have the Switch pre-ordered and am getting it at launch, the first Nintendo console in years I've actually done that.

Nintendo have actually done a fair bit right with the console. It no longer looks like it was designed by Fisher Price, it has a screen that doesn't look like dog shit and it looks like they finally sorted out their account system.

But having said that, why aren't people allowed to criticise stuff without being jumped on?

Why is their a subset of Nintendo fans that will back up and defend every decision no matter now stupid?

As said before, if it was underpowered that's fine because art style is more important, if it was PS4 Pro level hardware that would suddenly be amazing too because only power matters.

Then you will have the people that are obsessed that the Switch is more powerful than it is and use games like ARMS to back that up, when the only reason it looks decent is it has good IQ and decent textures due to the system having more RAM.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Deeke[VRZ];230627538 said:
If this is the RAM code:

K4F6E30

4HBMGCH

Then the "F" in K4F means "FP" or "FPM" which translates to a variety of RAM called Fast Page Memory RAM.

https://gyazo.com/6591bbbecf2542c41515f9ba310b8b0b

If this is accurate, I think the two modules have different codes.

I'm not 100% sure if it's viable for both modules to be FPRAM or not. Still decoding!

Deeke[VRZ];230634322 said:
RE: Switch RAM

I think the K4F6E304HB-MGCH code is right. Searched the web and found this.

http://www.alldatasheet.com/view.jsp?Searchword=K4F6E304HBMGCH

AVNet distributes the RAM, and Samsung Electronics (SEC) makes it.

According to this link, K4F6E304HB-MGCH modules are 16Gb DDR4 modules (Gb = gigabit)

link: https://products.avnet.com/shop/en/...56?CMP=EMEA_FindChips_inventoryfeed_VSE&c=EUR

16 GIGABIT = 2 GIGABYTE

DRAM Chip Mobile LPDDR4 DRAM 16G-Bit 512Mx32 1.8V 200-Pin FBGA

Here's the datasheet.

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/products/dram/mobile-dram/K4F6E304HB-MGCH?ia=3107

EDIT: I'm told 3Gb/s isn't that fast. But it's LPDDR4 which is more efficient than previous RAM.

Deeke[VRZ];230636066 said:
More Switch RAM info:

I couldn't find exact frequencies for the K4F6E304HB-MGCH LPDDR4 modules, but I did find speeds for a K4F6E304HA-MGCH module, which are in 2GB densities.

Density 2GB
Organization x32 (2CS,2CKE)
Speed(Mbps) 1600MHz
Package 200-FBGA-10.0X15.0
Temperature(C) none
Production Status Preparation

These modules could be very much alike.They are built on the same 200-FBGA platform and have the same 16Gb (2GB) densities.

In fact, I'm thinking the "B" series is a derivative.

https://memorylink.samsung.com/ecom...4HA-MGCH&partSetNo=LPDDR4&partSetLabel=LPDDR4

I think this detective work needs more appreciation.

If I read this right, this would mean a 64bit memory bus, right?

Joy-con controls would be even more awkwardly spaced out than they are now when used in tabletop multiplayer mode, with the buttons being too far in on the left controller and the stick being too far in on the right controller.

z0m3le

Banned
Just to get this out of the way before I'm accused of being a fanboy, I have the Switch pre-ordered and am getting it at launch, the first Nintendo console in years I've actually done that.

Nintendo have actually done a fair bit right with the console. It no longer looks like it was designed by Fisher Price, it has a screen that doesn't look like dog shit and it looks like they finally sorted out their account system.

But having said that, why aren't people allowed to criticise stuff without being jumped on?

Why is their a subset of Nintendo fans that will back up and defend every decision no matter now stupid?

As said before, if it was underpowered that's fine because art style is more important, if it was PS4 Pro level hardware that would suddenly be amazing too because only power matters.

Then you will have the people that are obsessed that the Switch is more powerful than it is and use games like ARMS to back that up, when the only reason it looks decent is it has good IQ and decent textures due to the system having more RAM.

This isn't unique to Nintendo fans, and it doesn't really matter in context anyways, if someone likes something and gets excited in one way, it is fine.

It's not like Nintendo fans are a hive mind either, we don't all think alike, and grouping us together is just an easy way to dismiss us.

Eurogamer's leak is fine, it's actually pretty powerful considering the form factor and it being a handheld as well. In fact other than battery life, there is nothing stopping the switch from running at docked clocks and that is a pretty impressive feat for such a device.

If it ends up being more powerful and the indication we've heard from foxconn and rumors about the final hardware point to that being the case, there is reason to celebrate, why shouldn't someone be happy about more performance and closer to parity with other consoles, allowing for western 3rd parties to more easily port their games?

This isn't like a console situation in the past, there is a benefit to a game like KH3 coming to the Switch, there is no other portable outside of niche products that could offer this experience on the go, and that is exciting to portable gamers, of which most Nintendo fans are.

I think this detective work needs more appreciation.

If I read this right, this would mean a 64bit memory bus, right?

Yes, this confirms that a prototype at the end of july had 4GB of 64bit memory. Which is also likely the july devkit which we already have documentation for.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm not talking about English though. I'm talking about alphabet/writing. I'm sure you're aware about the existence of different writing, yeah?

A writing in which "L" doesn't exist.

I'd refer to anything that is basically a right angled item as 'L' shaped regardless of what orientation you actually deploy it in. L literally draws the shape and you instantly know what is being talked about. wtf is 'J' shaped - you'd just confuse someone talking about that.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yes, this confirms that a prototype at the end of july had 4GB of 64bit memory. Which is also likely the july devkit which we already have documentation for.

We don't know if it's a prototype or if it was manufactured at the end of July.

What we know is that the SoC was manufactured in July.

And we have a Reddit post claiming that he spoke with somebody who knows the person who posted these pictures and claims that it's a defective unit directly from Foxconn.

I'd refer to anything that is basically a right angled item as 'L' shaped regardless of what orientation you actually deploy it in. L literally draws the shape and you instantly know what is being talked about. wtf is 'J' shaped - you'd just confuse someone talking about that.

The "J" was more tongue in cheek. The other question has derailed the thread. I moved past this discussion.

z0m3le

Banned
We don't know if it's a prototype or if it was manufactured at the end of July.

What we know is that the SoC was manufactured in July.

And we have a Reddit post claiming that he spoke with somebody who knows the person who posted these pictures and claims that it's a defective unit directly from Foxconn.

All units were made at Foxconn afaik, we know of the FCC filing being approved on August 3rd, this is likely that device, and if they can get a device approved in august, that means it can be ready for the july devkit, the SoC was finished on july 18th-25th, there is no way you'd punch out 1000+ of these devices and sit on them for 3 to 4 months for final devkits, besides there is no reasonable point to use 2 32bit memory modules to hit 64bit bandwidth, or use a separate chip for the flash memory on final hardware, this looks like a devkit honestly.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
All units were made at Foxconn afaik, we know of the FCC filing being approved on August 3rd, this is likely that device, and if they can get a device approved in august, that means it can be ready for the july devkit, the SoC was finished on july 18th-25th, there is no way you'd punch out 1000+ of these devices and sit on them for 3 to 4 months for final devkits, besides there is no reasonable point to use 2 32bit memory modules to hit 64bit bandwidth, or use a separate chip for the flash memory on final hardware, this looks like a devkit honestly.

I remember a discussion about how devkits are not usually manufactured in the same place as the retail ones, but I can't seem to find it right now.

Besides that, we don't know when this unit was manufactured only the SoC, so being the FCC test unit is very speculative.

Whoa, settle down folks.

The thing that jumps out most immediately to me at an architectural level is the fact that the battery is a single discrete component rather than a conglomerate of smaller modules that are more evenly dispersed for heat and balance reasons. Tablets today have followed that design paradigm for the better part of a decade and I'm confused why that isn't the case here for something that has that form factor. I'd like to see more of it before I say any more but that's my take from a distance. I can't really speak to the hardware specs themselves until more is known about them.

raw

z0m3le

Banned
I remember a discussion about how devkits are not usually manufactured in the same place as the retail ones, but I can't seem to find it right now.

Besides that, we don't know when this unit was manufactured only the SoC, so being the FCC test unit is very speculative.

What about this design doesn't look like the july devkits to you? it fits everything we know about that device. It seems silly to produce a chip in july, as you are putting together devkits to go out and not use the new chips and instead wait 3+ months. Or does that sound right to you? what logic makes yours more sound than mine about this being an october devkit that would have some boost to performance over what we know about the july devkits and why would they sit on it for 3 months?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
What about this design doesn't look like the july devkits to you? it fits everything we know about that device. It seems silly to produce a chip in july, as you are putting together devkits to go out and not use the new chips and instead wait 3+ months. Or does that sound right to you? what logic makes yours more sound than mine about this being an october devkit that would have some boost to performance over what we know about the july devkits and why would they sit on it for 3 months?

The logic in which the logistics to manufacture chips, deliver them to Foxconn, manufacture the units, deliver them to NA or Europe and then deliver them to the developers takes more than 2 weeks. Plus we had reports that the july devkits have a standard X1 in them, not a custom one, no?

And seeing how this has only 32GB of storage, that makes this very unlikely to be a devkit. Maybe it's just a retail unit that broke down during the QA at Foxconn. Could be part of the trial production run that we had reports about happening in Q3 2016. There are so many possibilities, that stating something as a fact or very sure seems not very wise at this point.

Donnie

Wish someone would just take a final retail unit apart. Personally if I was that guy who got his Switch early I'd have sold it to DF, can't even play the thing for two weeks anyway.

oti

Banned

Now this is new. Haven't heard that one before. I was wondering that too tbh. I wouldn't mind a bigger Switch myself but surely others find it a perfect trade-off between portability and power. I don't play handhelds in short train rides so for me it could've been bigger. But I'm saying that without having actually tried it and I'm sure Nintendo has tested different sizes and weights extensively before choosing this one.

Donnie

The logic in which the logistics to manufacture chips, deliver them to Foxconn, manufacture the units, deliver them to NA or Europe and then deliver them to the developers takes more than 2 weeks. Plus we had reports that the july devkits have a standard X1 in them, not a custom one, no?

And seeing how this has only 32GB of storage, that makes this very unlikely to be a devkit. Maybe it's just a retail unit that broke down during the QA at Foxconn. Could be part of the trial production run that we had reports about happening in Q3 2016. There are so many possibilities, that stating something as a fact or very sure seems not very wise at this point.

To be fair I'd think that a July dev kit would be one produced in July, not necessarily reaching everyone in July.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
To be fair I'd think that a July dev kit would be one produced in July, not necessarily reaching everyone in July.

Didn't we got the info that devs received devkits in July? Together with the documentation that leaked earlier this month?

Edit: this report from Eurogamer was on 26th of July, so some devs got it before that.

Turrican3

space saved by removal of four Cortex A53s
This still baffles me: what would they gain by removing those cores?! Especially with the leaked documentation implying 1 "main" core reserved (likely for the OS, right?)

Wouldn't those A53s help with that, leaving all four (let's say) A57 cores free for games? I don't get it. :-\

It doesn't need quick charge. USB-C uses PD or power delivery. PD can provide up to 100W of power through 5 voltage level.

5V/3A = Up to 15W - Most USB-C smart phone uses this and maxed out at this level for safety and temperature reasons. The Nintendo switch itself most likely charge at this level since it takes 3 hours to charge it's 4000mAH battery.
So basically any USB charger could work? This might be interesting when gaming on the go, it would be nice to be able to connect a commonly available charger when/if needed.

And there is a typo, core-croe. This is most likely a fake.
That's consistent in the text output though (allegedly from issuing a command/executable) so it might simply be a typo made by the programmer who wrote the aforementioned software.

It would have been more suspicious if it only showed once.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
How long is typical soc manifacture to product release time?

If we look at the new Nvidia Shield, the SoC was produced 3 weeks later than Switch's and it just released. So it doesn't look that far fetched to have the SoC produced months before.

Especially since we know that Switch was planned to launch in March because the software wasn't ready, not the hardware.

z0m3le

Banned
Now this is new. Haven't heard that one before. I was wondering that too tbh. I wouldn't mind a bigger Switch myself but surely others find it a perfect trade-off between portability and power. I don't play handhelds in short train rides so for me it could've been bigger. But I'm saying that without having actually tried it and I'm sure Nintendo has tested different sizes and weights extensively before choosing this one.

They didn't need to make a bigger switch, they could have made a clamshell and separated the battery from the rest of the device, you could probably make something twice as powerful as the switch in the same form factor size (though clamshell) you'd end up with a $500 device though, but you could have a PS4's performance with a 16nm Nvidia GPU and 128bit 6GB memory, it's just not a device that you could sell to a handheld market which is Nintendo's strong point.

This logic also means you could create a smaller Switch for a better portable experience, and you can put a 6000-8000mah battery in it for ~4-5 hours minimum battery life.

Heck a 3rd party could come along and offer a bluetooth controller that slides on the rails and creates a clamshell design and even plugs into the bottom of the device and gives it that bigger battery. Even drew the idea up a couple weeks back:

The Switch tablet is about the same dimensions as the n3DSXL so adding a ~10mm clamshell would offer plenty of space for a larger battery while maintaining a similar size to that device.

Donnie

Didn't we got the info that devs received devkits in July? Together with the documentation that leaked earlier this month?

Edit: this report from Eurogamer was on 26th of July, so some devs got it before that.

Just saying that it wouldn't require being delivered to all or even most devs in July to be called the July kit. I mean just the documentation being dated as July would be enough. But as you say obviously the kit did start to be sent out in July, exactly how early it started is unknown.

So based on the speculation on RAM. Would the 25,6 GB/s bandwidth put it in the same ballpark as that in the Xbox 360 and PS3? (although with eight times the capacity)

Or would modern compression and/or hardware differences set it noticably apart?

z0m3le

Banned
Just saying that it wouldn't require being delivered to all or even most devs in July to be called the July kit. I mean just the documentation being dated as July would be enough. But as you say obviously the kit did start to be sent out in July, exactly how early it started is unknown.

The timeline is fine. Here is the logic with what he is suggestion. He is saying that they sent out devkits at the same time new chips were being produced and then sat on those for 3+ months.

There is no reason they wouldn't just wait a few extra days to get the new chips in these devkits. It still being July Devkits, just means it doesn't take as long as he is thinking to ship these to developers, I mean if the chips are done on the 18th and foxconn is making the devkit (or even Nintendo given this is a prototype, and foxconn leak confirmed that at least 1 switch was put together internally at Nintendo)

This isn't the first devkit so Foxconn could put the chips on the devkit in a single day, possibly 2 and ship them to Nintendo well before the end of july to be shipped out to developers. Nintendo not using these chips for developers make no sense.

No the X1 chip was custom even then, just think about it, this is Revision #2, there was an A0 and A1, so they would all be custom Maxwell GPUs based on X1.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The timeline is fine. Here is the logic with what he is suggestion. He is saying that they sent out devkits at the same time new chips were being produced and then sat on those for 3+ months.

There is no reason they wouldn't just wait a few extra days to get the new chips in these devkits. It still being July Devkits, just means it doesn't take as long as he is thinking to ship these to developers, I mean if the chips are done on the 18th and foxconn is making the devkit (or even Nintendo given this is a prototype, and foxconn leak confirmed that at least 1 switch was put together internally at Nintendo)

This isn't the first devkit so Foxconn could put the chips on the devkit in a single day, possibly 2 and ship them to Nintendo well before the end of july to be shipped out to developers. Nintendo not using these chips for developers make no sense.

No the X1 chip was custom even then, just think about it, this is Revision #2, there was an A0 and A1, so they would all be custom Maxwell GPUs based on X1.

I'm saying that this is no devkit at all anyhow. Because it has a 32 GB storage, not 64GB as the devkits.

I think if they decided to go with Maxwell instead of Pascal that's a really bad decision, Pascal would improve battery life and heat, which is really important for a "portable".

I really hope it's Pascal, even if it's a custom version of X1 instead of X2.

AmyS

Switch is what is, and I don't think there have been any major changes from the info in the Eurogamer leak. The only thing that could've possibly changed, if anything, are the clockspeeds. The amount of GPU cores hasn't doubled from 256 to 512.

That said, Nintendo has a good upgrade path because they're with Nvidia, and Iwata stated long ago (early 2014) that the new platform could be 1 or more devices.

It's not hard to imagine Nvidia will take the work they're doing for the 16nm FinFET Xavier SoC (8 CPU cores, 512 Volta GPU cores), and make a Tegra "V1" out of it, minus the stuff that isn't necessary for a gaming chip, shrink it to 7nm, use some of that low-cost HBM (that is in development for mainstream consumer electronics) put out a third Shield TV console in 2019. Then, 18-24 months later, a tweaked and down clocked version is made for Nintendo and Switch XX that launches in 2021. It would have 2x the CPU cores, 2x the GPU cores, the low-end HBM, reasonable clock speeds (lower than a Tegra "V1" but higher than current Switch. Overall a ~3x improvement in performance and a big boost to bandwidth compared to the current model. With Switch 2's docked mode, it would be roughly on par with original XBone, I personally hope Nintendo does something much better than that in 2022-2023 instead, because a Switch 2 or Switch Pro along those lines would not be a generational leap, but more along the lines of Wii U to Switch. Very conservative, again.

Blah blah, enough of my speculation. I just want to play Zelda, MK8 Deluxe, Mario odyssey , Dragon Quest XI and a new Monster Hunter, mostly on the go.

Shiggy

We know that the final devkits have 64GB of storage, all rumors before that only suggested 32GB of internal storage actually.

Are you sure? The documentation from last July only mentions 64GB dev kits. The 32GB kits must have then been before that. Do you have any source on that?

Donnie

I think if they decided to go with Maxwell instead of Pascal that's a really bad decision, Pascal would improve battery life and heat, which is really important for a "portable".

I really hope it's Pascal, even if it's a custom version of X1 instead of X2.

You mean you hope its a 16nm chip.

z0m3le

Banned
Wait, I thought you were talking about the dev kits and not the retail unit?

I was, I thought that outlined the devkits. I wonder if the FCC prototype would use the 32GB storage, since it is removable, it could be an easy solution to this problem. The timing is hard to believe for a retail unit, those just wouldn't have been made yet and we know there was a change in october, that being a chip they sat on for 3 months makes 0 sense.

Shiggy

I was, I thought that outlined the devkits. I wonder if the FCC prototype would use the 32GB storage, since it is removable, it could be an easy solution to this problem. The timing is hard to believe for a retail unit, those just wouldn't have been made yet and we know there was a change in october, that being a chip they sat on for 3 months makes 0 sense.

That's an outline for the retail unit (as of July 2016). They provide an overview of the differences to the two dev kits here: http://dystify.com/Overview/contents/Pages/Page_94755783.html

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

It could be part of the trial production that was rumour to take place in the Q3 2016. Would fit the timing perfectly.

z0m3le

Banned
It could be part of the trial production that was rumour to take place in the Q3 2016. Would fit the timing perfectly.

The prototype for the FCC makes the most sense, a trail run happened in October actually afaik, not before August 3rd. Final hardware actually wasn't ready until October either from rumors.

Also isn't Q3 usually referring to October, November and December? even "Fall Quarter" starts at the very end of September usually right?

Lastly, you'd put out final Devkits before a trial production run, since you have final hardware and want to get the software done ASAP.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The prototype for the FCC makes the most sense, a trail run happened in October actually afaik, not before August 3rd. Final hardware actually wasn't ready until October either from rumors.

Also isn't Q3 usually referring to October, November and December? even "Fall Quarter" starts at the very end of September usually right?

No, it was calendar year, not fiscal year.

Lucifon

Wish someone would just take a final retail unit apart. Personally if I was that guy who got his Switch early I'd have sold it to DF, can't even play the thing for two weeks anyway.

You do realise DF will have one right now right? They just won't be able to talk about it until the embargo lifts.

spekkeh

Banned
Just out of interest, why do people repeatedly say they don't want a powerhouse console from Nintendo, that they would prefer they did their own thing and then spend many, many pages trying to work out if Nintendo have some hidden hardware, or if their hardware is actually more powerful than it first seems?

They did the same for the Wii U and now the Switch, I thought hardware power didn't matter?
Everybody wants a 1000TFLOPS system with Nintendo games that have $1B budgets, but we just don't think it's feasible market or technology wise. And given the constraints and the competition, I'd rather have Sony focus on big blockbuster stuff, and Nintendo on creative play solutions, than the other way around. Within this framework though, we can want Nintendo to be as powerful as possible, and Sony to be as creative as possible. But it's not likely, or perhaps even preferable, that one will shift over into the other's expertise area.

Top Bottom