• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Zedark

I've never seen any post say that and I've clicked on that thread whenever it was on the first page.

I don't see a reason to try to create drama to fuel this stupid fanboy war.

The thought of people feeling threatened by having multiple great games coming out in the same week is weird.

So did I, I can point you to page 68 off the top of my head where someone is wishing to see the thread where Zelda scores below Horizon. Horizon has been my most anticipated game, so I am not feeling threatened at all by either game, love them both, and don't care which scores higher (though I think Zelda will).

Jonboy

Dude...GOTY is going to be an absolute bloodbath. Imagine if RDR2 actually hits this year.

Zelda, Red Dead 2, Persona 5, Mass Effect, and Horizon....I mean, are you kidding me? Those heavyweights all in the same year?!

Almost a shame for those devs they'll be competing against one another, but man, what an incredible year for gamers.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think we can put to rest any fear the grass was downgraded

Are you sure you want to open the discussion about the technical aspects of Zelda in this thread? Think this through.

I would say it's better to enjoy the glowing previews than to move the discussion in that area.

DooMAGE

I think we can put to rest any fear the grass was downgraded

3199635-2017022317584100-f1c11a22faee3b82f21b330e1b786a39.jpg

Getting strong OoT vibes.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Some of the content of the previews are a little disappointing, for example, it doesn't seem like the Retronauts author has even left the Plateau yet.

Dude...GOTY is going to be an absolute bloodbath. Imagine if RDR2 actually hits this year.

Zelda, Red Dead 2, Persona 5, Mass Effect, and Horizon....I mean, are you kidding me? Those heavyweights all in the same year?!

Almost a shame for those devs they'll be competing against one another, but man, what an incredible year for gamers.

Mario Odyssey comes out this year too, mate.

Lunar15

It doesn't. It doesn't at all! >=(

Well, like I said: I haven't played a whole lot. We had a decent amount of good weapons, but I've just had bad luck where I've had to go through a bunch of weapons during battle. I've always been iffy about weapon durability and inventory management though.

jmaine_ph

Gamecentral's:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/24/the-l...the-wild-hands-on-preview-eye-opener-6470487/

Some exceprts:

Nintendo has talked about how they went back to the very first NES game for inspiration, which sounds like hyperbole given the technology gulf between 1986 and now. But actually, the comparisons are entirely valid.

Having just completed it, we couldn’t help but think of Horizon Zero Dawn while playing Breath Of The Wild, and how simplistic it now seems compared to Zelda. You also have a bow in Breath Of The Wild, but you have to account for how arrows arc through the air, rather than it just acting like a low-tech sniper rifle. Boomerangs have to be caught manually on their return and the best way to defeat the skeletons that appear at night is to chop of their head and punt it into a river, like a goalkeeper trying to make a clearance.

You always expect a Zelda game to be good, but the attention to detail and willingness to innovate in Breath Of The Wild is well beyond our expectations. We wouldn’t suggest that any of this necessarily has anything to do with the Switch though, as the game was originally designed for the Wii U. As such the graphics are certainly not a match for the likes of Horizon, with often very simple geometry and textures. The frame rate sometimes becomes a little syrupy too, and there’s obvious object pop-in if you look for it.

We’re doing our best to find faults here but the truth is we’re hugely impressed. We already know some things we can’t talk about here, and other secrets that have been hinted to us by Nintendo. At this stage we’d shocked if this didn’t turn out to be the best Zelda since Ocarina Of Time. It may even surpass it, and since many still regard that as the best video game ever made it becomes almost impossible to overstate just how good Breath Of The Wild is.

Jesus!!!!!!

Rodin

Yeah, like I said, I don't know what causes it. Happens occasionally. Either lighting or a draw distance thing. I have no clue.

It doesn't. It doesn't at all! >=(

This is my take on weapon degradation from the footage i've seen at E3

About the weapons management, i don't really see a problem. They're almost akin to ammunitions the way they're treated here. Let's say you find a nice weapon with 15 ammo in MGS V, you use it in an enemy camp and you finish all of them. What happens next? You search for more in enemies bodies and around the camps. What happens in Zelda? You have a weapon that gives you (for example) 15-20 hits, when it breaks you go around the world or in enemy camps and search for more, with the addition that you can also throw it before it breaks to deal 2x damage. With ammo you press a combination of keys to reload, in Zelda you use a button on your dpad to change the weapon you're using. The fact that each sword/spear/hammer/etc has its own moveset also adds a lot in terms of gameplay variety and strategies because you will be using the weapon with the most effective moveset for each enemy.

The fact that you always find new weapons with very different movesets and you can select them via quick inventory makes it very different from games like TW3, where it's just a pain in the ass to restore them if you don't want them to deal less damage. It's done right here, what aren't you liking?

From Gamexplain: NPCs have schedules, react to changes in weather, even more dynamic than Majora's mask schedules
Figured.

foxbeldin

I can already see the thread in two years. "2017 was the best year in gaming. Period."

Haha that quote about the other game being simplistic. DANG.

I'm ready to be blown away. Just take me, Zelda.

Just take me now.

rewkol

I think I'll start my media blackout with this thread (well, this will be the last thread). Based on their previews this game sounds even better than I could have possibly expected, and I can't wait to explore it on my own next week.

Hard to believe we're finally down to the 7 day mark...

ChaosXVI

Fuck me man...I'm going to have to wait a few months to buy Horizon, somehow I didn't realize that it and Zelda were coming out during the same fucking week! Why would they do that?! And then once I play the shit out of Zelda, Mass Effect Andromeda is out, which also takes precedent...

Also Nier...I feel so, so sorry for Nier.

Does that actually reduce your enjoyment of the game? Or do you find the introduction of a sorta of mandatory creativity a good thing?

I think weapon durability might be the one major point of contention between different reviews.

I find myself carrying extra crap weapons just because I'm not sure when my good stuff is going to break. I also stamped locations of good weapons on the map, so I can go back to restock.

Like this shot:

I'm carrying weapons of wildly divergent quality because of the durability thing. I only have Bokoblin Arm because of that! It turns the game into a "What's on hand?" combat experience. I don't enjoy it, but it is what it is. I played through Scholar of the First Sin with its durability bug because I didn't know better. This feels about the same.

I know I may be buried under the vast ammount of activity in this thread, but does this game set the new bar for every Zelda game going forward? Will every Zelda title from here on out be expected to be a vast, open world experience?

Kthulhu

Gamecentral's:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/24/the-l...the-wild-hands-on-preview-eye-opener-6470487/

Some exceprts:

Nintendo has talked about how they went back to the very first NES game for inspiration, which sounds like hyperbole given the technology gulf between 1986 and now. But actually, the comparisons are entirely valid.

Having just completed it, we couldn’t help but think of Horizon Zero Dawn while playing Breath Of The Wild, and how simplistic it now seems compared to Zelda. You also have a bow in Breath Of The Wild, but you have to account for how arrows arc through the air, rather than it just acting like a low-tech sniper rifle. Boomerangs have to be caught manually on their return and the best way to defeat the skeletons that appear at night is to chop of their head and punt it into a river, like a goalkeeper trying to make a clearance.

You always expect a Zelda game to be good, but the attention to detail and willingness to innovate in Breath Of The Wild is well beyond our expectations. We wouldn’t suggest that any of this necessarily has anything to do with the Switch though, as the game was originally designed for the Wii U. As such the graphics are certainly not a match for the likes of Horizon, with often very simple geometry and textures. The frame rate sometimes becomes a little syrupy too, and there’s obvious object pop-in if you look for it.

We’re doing our best to find faults here but the truth is we’re hugely impressed. We already know some things we can’t talk about here, and other secrets that have been hinted to us by Nintendo. At this stage we’d shocked if this didn’t turn out to be the best Zelda since Ocarina Of Time. It may even surpass it, and since many still regard that as the best video game ever made it becomes almost impossible to overstate just how good Breath Of The Wild is.

eb9.gif

13ruce

Banned
I know I may be buried under the vast ammount of activity in this thread, but does this game set the new bar for every Zelda game going forward? Will every Zelda title from here on out be expected to be a vast, open world experience?

I hope it is, sure we will have to wait longer but maybe a second team can make oldskool like Zelda games to fill those waiting gaps?

Delstius

Vast, fully open, smart npc schedule, dynamic weather, you can ride a deer, difficulty is back, crazy tiny details everywhere, and there's so much more...
Yeah I'm going to enjoy this game alright, goodbye real life once it's out.

Frostman

I find myself carrying extra crap weapons just because I'm not sure when my good stuff is going to break. I also stamped locations of good weapons on the map, so I can go back to restock.

Like this shot:

I'm carrying weapons of wildly divergent quality because of the durability thing. I only have Bokoblin Arm because of that! It turns the game into a "What's on hand?" combat experience. I don't enjoy it, but it is what it is. I played through Scholar of the First Sin with its durability bug because I didn't know better. This feels about the same.

Do bows have durability?

Jonboy

To be honest, Skyward Sword bore me to tears. I simply stopped playing one day and never looked back.
Yep. Skyward Sword was definitely a low point in the series for me and I never understood the high scores.

It's why I'm trying to contain my hype for BotW. I won't believe it until I experience it for myself. These previews are sure doing their best to convince me, however.

Top Bottom