• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIVE is coming to the Nintendo Switch this year

LordKano

https://twitter.com/TwoTribesGames/status/836165883366109185
We have something sweet to announce: our twin-stick shooter/platformer RIVE is coming to Nintendo Switch this year!

RIVE was previously announced, then cancelled on Wii U, and the studio was supposed to close on the game was shipped to PS4/One/PC. It seems like they will ultimately deliver the game on Switch before the end.

Trailer from the PS4 version : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fVr3bBKJzY
action.png
rive_screenshot_4.jpg
2888515-wiiu_rive_screenshot_2.jpg

I've entered the official topic lol.

Good news getting more indie games and we still have the indie presentation tomorrow.

gunstarhero

Nice! I recently started playing this game again after they patched in a normal difficulty mode. The game is so a lot more balanced and fun now imo - quickly becoming one of my favorite twin stick shooters this gen.

Great game. Shame it didn't receive much recognition (what with it being Two Tribes' last title) since it's a really tightly woven little gem. Good soundtrack too.

Seems like there will be an exclusive expansion for the Switch version :
https://twitter.com/TwoTribesGames/status/836166333503057921
Hopefully it's like FURI's extra content, namely 'only' a temporary exclusive.

Nice! I recently started playing this game again after they patched in a normal difficulty mode. The game is so a lot more balanced and fun now imo - quickly becoming one of my favorite twin stick shooters this gen.
It's nice and all that there's a normal mode now, but RIVE received an undue rep (with the press unsurprisingly) for being too difficult when it released. The launch build was entirely fair in its challenges, with only parts of the final stretch being rather overwhelming with how much chaos was unfolding around you at times.

gunstarhero

Great game. Shame it didn't receive much recognition (what with it being Two Tribes' last title) since it's a really tightly woven little gem. Good soundtrack too.

Hopefully it's like FURI's extra content, namely 'only' a temporary exclusive.

It's nice and all that there's a normal mode now, but RIVE received an undue rep (with the press unsurprisingly) for being too difficult when it released. The launch build was entirely fair in its challenges, with only parts of the final stretch being rather overwhelming with how much chaos was unfolding around you at times.

Not sure I agree - the difficulty was a little out of control in a lot of early areas. It mostly had to do with the amount of enemies on the screen, resulting in an obscene amount of camera shakes and explosions. You just couldn't see what was going on.

Either that or my aging ass can't handle all that pyro!

Fredrik

Nice! This game is great, been playing it on PC, if the Switch version has the performance needed I'll definitely buy this version too.

Not sure I agree - the difficulty was a little out of control in a lot of early areas. It mostly had to do with the amount of enemies on the screen, resulting in an obscene amount of camera shakes and explosions. You just couldn't see what was going on.

Either that or my aging ass can't handle all that pyro!
With the special weapons there was usually ample legroom I'd say. Not sure if you were like them, but usually when I saw people struggle during the early game (or elsewhere) on streams when RIVE had just come out, it was due to them fixating on standard gunfire as opposed to liberally using the shotgun (or other alt fires when appropriate) with how frequently ammo drops were handed out. Also had no qualms with the overall visbility personally save for bits of the final stretch, but the screen shake can be disabled by now for what it's worth if that's what pushed it over the edge for you.

I didn't run into too much trouble in my time with the game. I reviewed it at around September of last year (PC version), which was IIRC before the implementation of normal mode and a number of other fixes/difficulty nerfs.

RIVE is a class act btw.

IMO reviewers need to play more shmups. If they can get comfortable with games where 3-5 hits = game over, then everything else is just a little bit easier to deal with.

wouwie

I hope it finds more recognition on the Switch. I felt it was seriously overlooked on pc and consoles last year. I loved it from start to finish (ended up 3rd in my GOTY list iirc) and it had an awesome soundtrack. I played through it twice and was quite happy about finishing it on hard (which is an achievement for me).

I only got to know Two Tribes with Toki Tori 2 and Rive but they were an awesome game developer.

Top Bottom