• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

NYR

Isn't the B7 this year just last years B6 repackaged and sold at warehouse stores like Costco? And the C7 is it's equivalent this year, what with dropping the curve and all? Thought I read that somewhere but don't remember if it was confirmed.
This is correct.

Clipjoint

So I'm having an annoying issue, hoping someone can help.

I have all of my devices connected to my B6, and then my B6 outputting to my receiver through the ARC input. This makes it easy for me to control everything with the LG remote, and have all my settings saved the way I like them on each input.

Everything looks and sounds fine, except my PC is only outputting stereo audio. When I look in my sound settings, it doesn't recognize the ability to play 5.1 through that device. From what I can tell, it looks like the B6 driver doesn't support anything beyond stereo audio.

Am I missing a setting that would allow my PC to recognize that it can pass through 5.1 audio? Right now I have Sound Out as Audio Out (Optical/HDMI ARC) with Digital Sound OUt set to Auto and SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC) set to On. Everything else besides my PC is working great, so it's super frustrating!

Should I be running everything through my receiver instead? Doesn't that setup tie you to a single input setting?

holygeesus

Banned
So I'm having an annoying issue, hoping someone can help.

I have all of my devices connected to my B6, and then my B6 outputting to my receiver through the ARC input. This makes it easy for me to control everything with the LG remote, and have all my settings saved the way I like them on each input.

Everything looks and sounds fine, except my PC is only outputting stereo audio. When I look in my sound settings, it doesn't recognize the ability to play 5.1 through that device. From what I can tell, it looks like the B6 driver doesn't support anything beyond stereo audio.

Am I missing a setting that would allow my PC to recognize that it can pass through 5.1 audio? Right now I have Sound Out as Audio Out (Optical/HDMI ARC) with Digital Sound OUt set to Auto and SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC) set to On. Everything else besides my PC is working great, so it's super frustrating!

Should I be running everything through my receiver instead? Doesn't that setup tie you to a single input setting?

You are limited to 2.0 with a PCM signal unfortunately.

Clipjoint

You are limited to 2.0 with a PCM signal unfortunately.

That blows! Why is it different with the PS4 for example? I'm able to get DTS running the PS4 through the TV to the receiver.

I guess I can connect everything direct to the receiver, it's just so much more convenient having the TV manage each input separately!

ascii42

That blows! Why is it different with the PS4 for example? I'm able to get DTS running the PS4 through the TV to the receiver.

I guess I can connect everything direct to the receiver, it's just so much more convenient having the TV manage each input separately!

5.1 DTS and Dolby Digital are available through ARC, just not PCM. Compressed vs. uncompressed. Can't do DTS Master or Dolby HD through ARC, at least not yet.

Dunno if this is the place to ask but I'll give it a shot!

A couple days ago I bought an LG 55uh60 and am really enjoying it, but I'm not the greatest when it comes to judging 4k/1080p differences and calibrating screens.

Is there a good guide I can use to figure out the best settings to make my PS4/Switch look as good as possible? Right now I have HDR enabled but I'm also using the HDR picture filter, which makes the image very dark. If I'm not supposed to use these two settings in tandem please let me know as I'm not sure what the best combo is.

But yeah, I'm enjoying the TV so far. Even more so because I got it for $400.

Madness

LG OLED 2017 hands-on review. http://referencehometheater.com/review/lg-2017-oled-hands-review/

Seems LG hit a home run with their 2017 OLED TV's! Now i can finally replace my VT60 plasma.

My PS4 Pro and Scorpio later this year are ready.

Man, i can't wait! I think i go with the B7.

I would still hold off until we get proper and better reviews. The Sony OLED and the flagship Samsung QLED are going to be interesting to see how they hold up. I do like the fact they were able to increase the brightness of the set. 2017 going to be a good year for television technology, here is hoping content creators get a fire under their ass to start a lot more 4k and HDR content.

The Sony A1E is the company’s true innovation for 2017 and is promising to be one spectacularly impressive 4K HDR TV. It is after all going to combine the latest and absolute best in LG OLED display panel performance with Sony’s own arguably superior internal processing hardware, in the form of the X1 Extreme processer engine. The combination of the two is virtually guaranteed to be a powerhouse of insanely good picture quality. The A1E will also support Dolby Vision, HDR10 and even HLG high dynamic range standards, like all of Sony’s 2017 TVs.

The European price of the A1E has been released (the model is called the A1 on the other side of the Atlantic pond) and we have it pegged at 3,799 Euros for the 55 inch model and 5499 Euros for the 65 inch version. These prices translate to about $4,060 and $5877 dollars and when we see formal U.S price releases, they’ll probably come pretty close to these numbers after US conversion here. In other words, the Sony A1E OLED will definitely not be a very affordable TV compared to LG’s main OLED models like the B7 and C7 for 2017.

Sony is also releasing a 77 inch A1E model but this will come later in the year an d we don’t yet know how much it will cost.

Idk if this has been posted already. It's from 4k.com

When do 2017 models come out?

That's a great point, hadn't really thought about that. Is LCD typically the worst for response time?

Cerrtain LCD's do better than others. But on average LCD's won't give you better than average 10ms pixel response. Unless it's a TA basesd panel but those have bad image quality and only exist on smaller end PC monitors.

Is this a great price for the KS8000 55" and worth grabbing from this eBay listing? It's $854 after a coupon from slick deals for eBay.

https://slickdeals.net/f/9836975-sa...0-854-w-ebay-code-free-shipping?src=catpagev2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/32214266964...p_id=117&ipn=icep&afepn=5337259887&rmvSB=true

Or should I just wait for that LG OLED TV to go back down to $1400?

It's actually $1400 right now for the B6 on this site: http://www.ebuyusa.com/prodinfo.phtml?id=2876&ref=google&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse

Also, did the B6 TVs get the input lag patch and it's good now?

NYR

Looking at the Sony OLED right now.

55" - $4,000
mr_chang_senor_chang_laugh_spits_milk.gif

Miker

This is getting ridiculous. USA gets another firmware update(to fix hdr game mode tearing) for the b6 oled while the rest of the world still doesn't have the update for Hdr game mode at all, aka 2 firmwares behind.

It's been 2 months now and still nothing, how can we get in contact with someone higher up in LG to get a proper answer? Customer service is useless.

Where did LG say they're pushing out new firmware to fix tearing in HDR game mode?

EDIT: Nvm, http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=231458324&postcount=1155

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Honestly 4 grand for a Sony OLED TV at 55" is actually not bad at least for Sony TV's. I was expecting as much as the 65 inch cost

If anyone was expecting Sony to be cheap, I don't know what you were thinking. Honestly I would have expected way more than $4,000 for a Sony OLED.

Let's see if Sony brings the goods on superior image quality using LG's own panels.

This is the kind of thing I was waiting to hear. Just a few more reviews and I'm sold. Any word on when rtings is getting a few of the sets?

Also side note. Isn't the B7 this year just last years B6 repackaged and sold at warehouse stores like Costco? And the C7 is it's equivalent this year, what with dropping the curve and all? Thought I read that somewhere but don't remember if it was confirmed.

Costco has LG Oleds? I didn't see any on their website just now.

wege12

What's the best deal on the internet right now for a 55 inch B6 OLED? Preferably from a reliable retailer with a return policy.

Thanks!

Madness

haha :)

called it in early january as well. its sony ffs.

They're also comparing LG OLED pricing to Sony. LG has been releasing OLED for over 3 years now and offers slightly budget variants and even discounts OLED every November to move units and get more sale sales. This is Sony's first major OLED TV, their sets are always more expensive than other brands, and their build quality on flagships is crazy, and their image processing is unbeatable I'd say.

I don't think it will be $4000 USD... will probably be $3499 for 55".

Well there's a saying that goes "I'm too poor to buy cheap", that's probably why more often than not I end up buying Sony.

I've tried to buy Samsung over the years. TVs, Blu-ray players, even washing machines. It's never worked out. I end up returning the Samsung product because of some stupid flaw or defect. To this day, the only Samsung products I buy and end up keeping are phones.

I also tried to buy an LG TV once. That's never going to happen again LOL. I also tried to buy Sharp and Vizio. Neither of those worked out either, although my parents have a Vizio and they seem happy with it. I've never allowed it to go online though, my parents don't use Netflix or anything and I'm not planning on letting Vizio spy on my parents.

I've tried lots of brands over the years and somehow I've always found my way back to Sony. My receiver is a Denon though.

yamo

ITT, people pretending to be shocked that this years TV models has a launch MSRP that is significantly higher than the current price of last years model.

iLoc.gif

Costco has LG Oleds? I didn't see any on their website just now.

The 2017 ones when released. Well the word is the "B7" for sure, but like I said it was reported to just be a B6 repackaged for warehouse stores. You see warehouse store exclusive things like this all the time. It also makes sense since the "B" series is now redundant in LG's line, what with them removing the curve from the "C" series.

Again, I don't have confirmation on this and was asking if it was the case since I've read about it.

This is correct.

Thank you.

b0bbyJ03

Hey all, for the B6 (should be the same for any of the 2016 LG OLEDs), what should the black level be set to when playing HDR games? I currently have it set to low.

Kyoufu

Hey all, for the B6 (should be the same for any of the 2016 LG OLEDs), what should the black level be set to when playing HDR games? I currently have it set to low.

I have mine set to High on the TV and Full on the PS4. For Low. you'd want Limited.

BumRush

It's fine for premium pricing. People are just upset because of that $2000 rumour which was nonsense to begin with.

Agreed. No one in here thought Sony would undercut LG pricing, given history and the fact that they are purchasing the panels from LG

The B6 prices are trending downwards on the shady sites. The 55" is now $1250 and 65" is $1999. With price protection, the 55" could be had for $1250 and 65" for $2100 unless Cleveland Plasma's prices have changed. Still waiting on the price drop either March 6th or 12th (have seen both dates listed) before I pull the trigger. There's a very real possibility the 65" will drop back to $23xx and the shady sites could hit the $18xx range. Maybe it will drop even lower.

Kyoufu

Agreed. No one in here thought Sony would undercut LG pricing, given history and the fact that they are purchasing the panels from LG

Don't make me go back and quote the believers hahaha.

The limited or full options on the PS4 are specifically for RGB though. The hdr mode switches the PS4 to YUV422. Do u know what the match for that would be?

Black Level on the LG OLEDs refers to the RGB setting, so you will want to match the two. Low = Limited. High = Full.

KillGore

The B6 prices are trending downwards on the shady sites. The 55" is now $1250 and 65" is $1999. With price protection, the 55" could be had for $1250 and 65" for $2100 unless Cleveland Plasma's prices have changed. Still waiting on the price drop either March 6th or 12th (have seen both dates listed) before I pull the trigger. There's a very real possibility the 65" will drop back to $23xx and the shady sites could hit the $18xx range. Maybe it will drop even lower.

Can you send me a link, please?

holygeesus

Banned
The limited or full options on the PS4 are specifically for RGB though. The hdr mode switches the PS4 to YUV422. Do u know what the match for that would be?

If you set resolution to 2160p RGB you get YUV422 if you set it to 2160p YUV420 you get that in HDR.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
A few pictures.
It wasn't an ideal setting to view the TV and they were just playing a compressed baseball game, but it was still neat to see. It looked like you'd expect an OLED to look.
They had the Sony UHD player hooked up but weren't using it...

I did check out the Sony ZD9 for the first time though. Wow, it does look fantastic.

Sony A1E

Sony 880GTZ1000 (this was listed as the model, but I can't find it online?)
4K UHD Short Throw projector

They were playing the 4K/60 flick Billy Lynn's Long Halftime.
Can't really tell from the screens, but it detail as astounding even in the bright enviroment. Strange to see a 60fps movie.

And lastly some more Wallpaper shots. :)

tokkun

The 2017 ones when released. Well the word is the "B7" for sure, but like I said it was reported to just be a B6 repackaged for warehouse stores. You see warehouse store exclusive things like this all the time. It also makes sense since the "B" series is now redundant in LG's line, what with them removing the curve from the "C" series.

Again, I don't have confirmation on this and was asking if it was the case since I've read about it.

If you go to LG's official website, you can see that it lists features for the B7 that are only available on other 7-series TVs, like Active HDR and WebOS 3.5. So that at least is different from the B6.

I don't really understand the "redundant" argument. It has less premium styling than the higher end models. That is the main difference between all of the 7-series models. It's no more redundant than the C7 is.

Q8D3vil

I live in middle easy and the prices of 4k tvs are insanely high.
LG OLED cost about 3300$ so its of out the question to buy one and waiting for new sets means that i have to pay insane markups (probably double the price of United states).
So should i buy KS8500 for 1480$ or is there any good acceptable HDR10 tv's that dont cost shitton ( prefer 46 to 55 inch) from LG/Panasonic/Samsung.

Dave_6

Just watched Fury Road in 3D on my E6, incredible. You need to WITNESS this.

Posts like this make me regret getting a B instead of an E. I liked well done 3D in theaters but I've never owned a 3D display at home and only own ~10 3D Blu-rays. Oh well. :)

I'm not seeing how that Sony OLED stand works. It looks like the TV is always going to be leaning backwards some. Right?

Just read some impressions on Samsung's QLEDs... they were... not good. I mean, about what you could expect from an edge lit LCD TV. And some shots showed quite a bit of bleed...

Tiandrad

Banned
I wish one of these makers would make a highend tv line 32" and lower, I would love that. I just don't have the room for these huge TVs.

Dave_6

New firmware update is out in the US for the B6. Supposed to fix the tearing at the bottom of the screen and possibly even lower input lag.

Top Bottom