• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ACCESS' NetFront Browser NX Selected for Nintendo Switch

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
From a press release on March 3, 2017:

TOKYO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--ACCESS CO., LTD a global provider of advanced software technologies to the mobile, automotive, Internet of Things (IoT) and digital TV markets, today announced that its NetFront™ Browser NX has been selected by Nintendo for the new Nintendo Switch™ game console. The Nintendo Switch launches in Japan, the United States, Canada, major European countries, Australia, Hong Kong and other countries on March 3, 2017.

NetFront Browser NX is a WebKit-based browser component that features ultra-low levels of memory usage, enabled by ACCESS’ unique technology that improves memory usage efficiency and ensures powerful rendering on a variety of devices and operating systems. The browser supports the latest Web technologies, including HTML5, CSS3, Gamepad API, WebP, WebSocket, and HTTP Cache. In addition, using proprietary expansion spatial navigation technology, it enables smooth movement controlled by the arrow keys, maximizes the usability of directional keypads on game controllers and more. NetFront Browser NX is deployed in a wide variety of devices including Nintendo game consoles, TVs, and in-vehicle infotainment systems (IVI) that are shipped globally.

The NetFront™ Browser series developed and provided by ACCESS is used in models of Nintendo 3DS™, Nintendo 3DS XL, Wii U™, Nintendo 2DS™, New Nintendo 3DS, and New Nintendo 3DS XL released since 2011. The Nintendo Switch is the seventh model to use the ACCESS NetFront Browser series.

The key features of NetFront Browser NX include:

• Platform agnostic
  • Unique technology that ensures both efficient memory usage and system stability
  • World leading enhanced HTML5 support
  • Flexible customization of the user interface
  • Supported operating systems: Linux (Qt/Embedded, GTK+, etc.) and others
  • Compatibility: Game consoles, TVs, set-top-boxes, IVI, smartphones, tablets, multifunction printers and others
For information about NetFront Browser NX’s other advanced features, please visit: http://jp.access-company.com/products/browser/nx/

On Nintendo Switch, NetFront Browser NX is used as cooperation function with Nintendo Account, Nintendo eShop, upload of screen photos on SNS and more. For information on the features and specifications supported by the Nintendo Switch game console, please refer to the official information provided by Nintendo.
I have seen some posts on this topic, but not a thread.

Right now it seems this browser is not intended for Internet browsing, but perhaps that's a feature that will be enabled in the future.

Eolz

The WiiU browser was really good, so I hope they enable more features in the future.
Sounds like a good deal.

When my phone charge port failed a few weeks ago I was using the Wii U browser extensively for a week or two.

It's still very, very good. Great to play a YouTube video for music while browsing.

It's still funny that whenever you go to YouTube that little window message about using the official app still shows up. I think I turned that on one time.

patientx

By using reverse proxy, we can redirect nintendo.com -from about page on social networking- to some other address, thus for example youtube access -without logging in because there is no https- or like a home web server/file server.

The following image taken from a gbatemp thread.

source : thread on gbatemp

gvsJEIJ.jpg

Effect

I'm shocked how youtube in the browser >>>>> youtube app

This. I would mess around with the app once in a while but would always return to accessing youtube via the browser. The app ran okay but it's so limited in weird. In weird ways too. If only Twitch would play nice though. Sometimes you could get it working if you knew the exact url but forget about browsing any list.

Neoxon

I'd imagine that Nintendo would give us an actual web-browsing app at some point in the near future, so hopefully said browser lives up to the greatness of the Wii U web browser.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Topic is a little misleading imo.
I simply shortened the title of the press release which is "ACCESS' NetFront Browser NX Selected by Nintendo for Its Latest Nintendo Switch Game Console".

sangreal

They should really add an 's. It's okay, even though their name ends in s. Their way is annoying to read and easily confused considering 'access' is a common verb

Rösti;231585354 said:
I simply shortened the title of the press release which is "ACCESS' NetFront Browser NX Selected by Nintendo for Its Latest Nintendo Switch Game Console".

Everyone is going to assume this is an announcement of an internet browser application for consumer usage because people have been sad about its absence.

At the moment, but I have no doubt they'll allow you to browse using the full browser at some later point in time

Hmm, in my opinion that's far from certain. Nintendo needs a browser for captive portals (in fact that's in the system already) and for HTML5 apps, which they were experimenting with on the Wii U. But the browser has been a target for exploits on their previous systems and Nintendo has proven themselves to be willing to cut features if it means improved security.

KageZero

I just tried it and it seems to work fine for the sites i have tested, even youtube is playing videos in 720p without problems.

SURGEdude

By using reverse proxy, we can redirect nintendo.com -from about page on social networking- to some other address, thus for example youtube access -without logging in because there is no https- or like a home web server/file server.

gvsJEIJ.jpg

This is why keeping the browser hidden for security reasons is so pointless.

nampad

gvsJEIJ.jpg

So the browser is good enough to run movies from a piracy streaming site but Nintendo still decided to launch without officially supporting it? :/

So the browser is good enough to run movies from a piracy streaming site but Nintendo still decided to launch without officially supporting it? :/
It could just be a locally stored MP4. Also they have video playback in the eShop for trailers, which is why it's there.

Top Bottom