• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Moriarty starts a new Patreon/YouTube channel about History and Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh... Say what you want about Colin (I'd probably agree with you), but the dude has a B.A. in American History. You comparing him to a line cook doesn't add up.

Having a B.A. in American History (WHOA!) qualifies one to publicly opine about history about as much as physically giving birth to a baby qualifies one to give public lectures on child rearing.

Siege.exe

I mean, have most of you actually listened to him talk about history before? Like his politics or not, he's gone in-depth on things during various podcasts and presented the information well. If he ever has his dad on to talk about being a first responder during 9/11 like he had planned to at KF, I think you should give it a listen. Check out the few episodes of Colin Was Right he did before he left, or the History of Naughty Dog piece he did back at IGN. I don't think it's fair to assume the topics he covers not to be well researched or his videos to not be well produced, especially not when those two things are what he's going to make a living on now.

Moppeh

Banned
KqYg5iJ.png

shock and awe

Oh God...

I didn't respect Colin that much to begin with but seeing who he now follows on Twitter and subscribes to on Youtube are making me think even less of him.

RedAssedApe

Banned
The titles of his shows crack me up. Seems more about giving the finger/troll people than actually coming up with a good title like psilu xoxo

Eidan

Never underestimate how much money there is in being a right-wing douchebag, and telling other right-wing douchebags what they want to hear. Honestly I should get in on the game. I'm black, and there's nothing conservatives love more than a black person to hold up as an example of how their views can't possibly be racist.

If saying Jeff Sessions is "more than qualified" isn't an endorsement, I don't know what is

You don't get to separate a racist from his racism

Saying that someone has the qualifications for a position doesn't mean you think they deserve to get it or are the best option for that position.

Having a B.A. in American History (WHOA!) qualifies one to publicly opine about history about as much as physically giving birth to a baby qualifies one to give public lectures on child rearing.

You originally compared Colin to a line cook trying to produce a video series about deontic logic. That comparison is silly.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
This post ain't right, if it's implying what I think it is.

Care to elaborate? The poster was making a dig at it being truly his "last" stand given the hill he chooses to as he put it "die" on. But we live in a world where the American people elected an orange buffoon so I have no doubt people will keep voices alive that give 0 shits about empathy. The loudest part of his following is disgusting scum. Can't say it makes me happy that it has a voice.

He's leaving San Francisco too according to the FAQ. If he goes somewhere with cheaper rent and builds himself a home studio... hot damn. Also confirms no video game talk.
Well he is not going to find cheaper rent back home where it's the second most expensive place to live in the country.

Ishan

Wait is this normal ? Do ppl make 20k a month for conservative oriented YouTube videos ? Or is it just the initial amt which later peters off . 20 k is no chump change .

Tagg9

That is the point. He endorsed him DESPITE the extreme racist past. The fact he thinks Sessions will be a great AG despite Sessions record of explicitly targeting minorities is a text book example of diet racism.

His tweets mocking of BLM protesting is buried off in the old thread.

You're talking about a single tweet - it's impossible to get the full story from 140 characters. There could be many explanations - that Colin thought he was the best candidate amongst the nominees that Trump's administration had picked, that he wasn't aware of his past, etc. There's no need to immediately yell "racist!". Doing this only gives Colin and similar figures more ammunition to pull the victim card, which is a legitimate defense for a situation like this, where a comment is blown up out of proportion.

You're talking about a single tweet - it's impossible to get the full story from 140 characters. There could be many explanations - that Colin thought he was the best candidate amongst the nominees that Trump's administration had picked, that he wasn't aware of his past, etc. There's no need to immediately yell "racist!". Doing this only gives Colin and similar figures more ammunition to pull the victim card, which is a legitimate defense for a situation like this, where a comment is blown up out of proportion.
How can he think Sessions is more than qualified while also pleading ignorance at his well known racist past? That doesn't make any sense at all

Sane_Man

Haha, jesus... i'm not sure the kind of dumb fucks who'd donate money to this ignorant prick have the patience or mental capacity to sit through a video about history. Not sure this will work out long term.

My dude, Sessions is a racist, anyone ok with him being in power deserves the ire of others.

Two Words

Having a degree in History doesn't mean much on its own when all of your work history is about writing about video games. The degree doesn't make him a historian. What he has done with that degree is what will make him a historian. So what has he done with his History degree to make him a reputable historian?

Don't die for this Sora. You are better than this.

Jebusman

Banned

You know, this doesn't really explain why when confronted with that specific past, Colin just doubles down on his opinion, or proceeds to ignore it and continue to issue hot takes on twitter.

Also, we can't really play "Colin is an intelligent and studied person" with "maybe he wasn't aware of his past".

You don't really get both sides of that.

Wait is this normal ? Do ppl make 20k a month for conservative oriented YouTube videos ? Or is it just the initial amt which later peters off . 20 k is no chump change .

colin has a brand built off of years and years of his games coverage, so that has something to do with his initial success. it also seems like over the course of the past few months he has done a lot to intentionally invite controversy, doing his best to position himself as a rational bulwark against encroaching PC culture (or something). i think that this has helped increase people's willingness to support him like it's a conservative or centrist political statement as opposed to just throwing some money at another random youtuber.

Maxim726X

Wait, wait- This guy is making 20k a month now??

Uhh... With all due respect to Colin- What is his authority to speak intelligently on either subject? Why does he deserve that kind of money?

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
fuck I may as well start a patreon and say the most random shit that is in line with what people think= easy money, should I quit my teaching career though hmm?

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, wait- This guy is making 20k a month now??

Uhh... With all due respect to Colin- What is his authority to speak intelligently on either subject? Why does he deserve that kind of money?

He has a following of disgusting scum. That Milo guy would have had a bestseller too if he didn't go off rails with pedophilia that's just the world we live in.

Choomp

Banned
Going to be weird to see him on his own and away from Greg, sad, really. Surreal seeing that kitchen background in the opening video. Hope this goes well for him though.

TankRizzo

Banned
Eh... Say what you want about Colin (I'd probably agree with you), but the dude has a B.A. in American History. You comparing him to a line cook doesn't add up.

so he wasted his parents money and now he's wasting his fans money.

But most History majors become line cooks anyways. Student loans don't pay themselves.

LiK

He got some big spenders. Well, good luck to him and his safe space. I'm not interested in his politics at all. Farewell gaming Colin.

dakun

This a man that deserves a $20K+ Patreon

this is the man that deserves all the hate and huge ass threads on this forum?

I'm not saying that anyone should like him, i certainly have my issues with his views.. but in the grand scheme of things this is so mild, unimportant, irrelevant.

You originally compared Colin to a line cook trying to produce a video series about deontic logic. That comparison is silly.

Let me try this another way.

The Internet will be paying this guy more than he would be making if he were a typical mid-career history/politics professor tenured at an Ivy League school with a BPhil from Oxford and a PhD from Princeton. Colin will be making more money than senior scholars at elite institutions who are the foremost experts in their fields. Meanwhile, Colin is just an older version of that annoyingly overconfident undergrad who writes shit essays but sure loves to hear himself talk.

So, yes, I do think this is like giving buckets of cash to a line cook to produce videos on abstruse topics formal logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom