• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shaq believes in a flat earth. Edit: Claims he doesn't believe in a flat earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Rob_

It's amazing how even flat earthers now feel they have a voice of reason.

I think the crux of it is that most people believe themselves to be the voice of reason in any given situation. I think it also has a lot to do with the first instinct fallacy. By which I mean once someone has chosen a side regardless of how the conclusion was reached, it's very hard to change their thinking because logic is no longer the winning factor.

rjinaz

I think the crux of it is that most people believe themselves to be the voice of reason in any given situation.

Well that's true too. I believe my gut over anything anybody else says regardless of the "evidence"

It's also confusing critical thinking with not believing anything. The two are not the same thing.

Even worse is that these same people often time are religious. Will believe in a man in the sky but not that the Earth is round because they have never seen it so it's not true.

bigJP

I wonder what it's like trying to argue with someone about this in real life.

i would straight up slap them across the face

it the earth is flat then im proposing that we are living in the matrix. can probably make a stronger argument about that

MrGerbils

I want someone to just kidnap Shaq and stick him in one of those insane hot air balloons like the Red Bull dude jumped out of from the upper atmosphere, then shove him out the door.

felix-baumgartner-capsule-jump.jpg

M3d10n

The argument for a flat Earth gets torpedoed as soon as different time zones enter the conversation. There's no way the sun could both be a "spotlight" and still look round during a sunset: if it were an spotlight, it would become elliptical when viewed at an angle. Unless the spotlight is orbiting the disc, but then time zones wouldn't work because it would be night everywhere during the time it was at the other side of the disc.

God, my head hurts.

In another thread someone explained the phenomena, and it makes sense: some people, frustrated with the own lack of knowledge, decide to make themselves look smart by rejecting all existing knowledge and making up their own.

Manu

I want someone to just kidnap Shaq and stick him in one of those insane hot air balloons like the Red Bull dude jumped out of from the upper atmosphere, then shove him out the door.

Dude, I was literally thinking the same thing while reading the thread.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Permanently A said:
flat earth society got u covered
That would require the "vanishing point"/"perspective" to be true first - 9/11 conspiracy analysis clearly shows our eyes and cameras see the world through ortographic projection, and nothing actually gets smaller(or bigger) with distance.

louiedog

Why do people believe this?

For what reason would there be a round Earth conspiracy?

27647609.jpg

Some people wear their ignorance with pride. They see themselves as smart and if they don't understand something they know it can't possibly be because they're stupid or lacking information, so there's something wrong.

imo this is very telling of the internet. the nature of how it shapes communication. what gets popular and what gets copied.

another case is, maybe it has always been like this, and wherever and whenever there are humans a certain percentage of them are going to think there are crazy conspiracies. there will always be that media market. it could be that this is really the case and the internet just makes it easier for crazy people to find each other/connect/communicate/collaborate.

still, a flat earth has its appeal. for one, there are many classical models to draw from, and you could easily go down a rabbit hole Wikipedia searching historical examples. personally i think Stanley Kubrick or an experimental film artist in the 60s could have easily replicated fabricated those images themselves. but i still believe they went to the moon. i read "Return to Earth" and "Invasion of the Moon" and the photography debunkers are out of their minds. think about it. it doesn't seem that far-fetched. we can do nuclear weapons, we can go to the moon.

one of the flat earth arguments is that they even admitted to using computers to fill in missing gaps. which is, like, duh, they are using computers to fly these rockets into space in the first place. some of these images have to be composited from multiple shots, since the camera is on a satellite that is spinning around a sphere, they may use shots from multiple passes or yes even generating computer imagery at times. this tends to be a good thing though, as computer generated imagery still references geological/topographical data.

loudbill

Im sorry, but who cares? I don't look to Shaq when i need scientific information. He can have whatever shitty opinion he wants.

i would straight up slap them across the face

it the earth is flat then im proposing that we are living in the matrix. can probably make a stronger argument about that

I actually saw an old guy on the bus yesterday talking about how we're all "living in a hologram" and that "the government kidnapped us and put us in giant computers". Nobody dared to question his logic. Dude was really into it and didn't look homeless or anything.

rjinaz

I actually saw an old guy on the bus yesterday talking about how we're all "living in a hologram" and that "the government kidnapped us and put us in giant computers". Nobody dared to question his logic. Dude was really into it and didn't look homeless or anything.

You know you'd think if the government did that they'd do a better job at representing itself.
But yeah sounds like early Dementia

Im sorry, but who cares? I don't look to Shaq when i need scientific information. He can have whatever shitty opinion he wants.

Maybe it's just me being a shitty cynic, but if it were revealed that someone in the media you like turned out to not know basic addition or didn't know how to spell their own name wouldn't you think less of them (they'd obviously be forgiven if they had a mental disability that excused it)?

If someone is dumb enough to believe the earth is flat... I'm not really sure I can respect them. Like I said, it's probably just due to me being an asshole. Maybe I should forgive someone for having that belief, but I'd struggle to.

DevilDog

When there are experts around you everywhere, knowing almost every better than you do, people can end up feeling insecure and afraid. This gives them the feeling of control and makes their lives more interesting. At the expense of science, and truth.

I wish I lived in a world where the nations of this world worked together like that.

It's already happening. Wake up sheep.

sometimes I wonder how some people can get hoodwinked into certain ideologies and conspiracies, and then I read what they say and remember it's because they are stupid

tehbible

am i the only one that feels that flat earthers are onto something?

there is evidence of NASA faking spacewalks, interviews with astronauts on the alleged ISS doing somersaults but they're actually on harnesses. interviews with astronauts where they are literally talking out of their ass and bullshitting.

as for the motivations of lying to the public as to the shape of the Earth, the purpose is to promote a nihilistic belief system thats being propagated to the masses through the media and education system. and yes, its been going on for centuries. lie long enough and its no longer something you question but a fact.

many that try to debunk the flat earth come away with more questions than answers. in the end, you're relying on government institutions and agencies for answers.

Matt

there is evidence of NASA faking spacewalks, interviews with astronauts on the alleged ISS doing somersaults but they're actually on harnesses. interviews with astronauts where they are literally talking out of their ass and bullshitting.

as for the motivations of lying to the public as to the shape of the Earth, the purpose is to promote a nihilistic belief system thats being propagated to the masses through the media and education system. and yes, its been going on for centuries. lie long enough and its no longer something you question but a fact.

many that try to debunk the flat earth come away with more questions than answers. in the end, you're relying on government institutions and agencies for answers.
None of what you just wrote is true, or even makes any sense.

Matt

what part doesn't make sense? elaborate please
1. We've gone to the moon, we have space stations, humans from many nations have gone on space walks, NASA isn't in the business of faking anything.

2. This

doesn't mean anything. "Promote a nihilistic belief system"? Why would people do that for thousands of years and across the world?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Do you have evidence of any of your allegations?

people have done the math. people have filmed distant markers and was expecting to see a curvature but did not.

There is curvature and we experience effects from it. You can't see the bottoms of really tall objects in the distance because of the curvature. When a ship sails away in the distance, the hull disappears before the top of the sail. Look up all the various calculations that a sniper needs to consider when taking an extremely long distance shot.

what part doesn't make sense? elaborate please
All of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom