• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What gaming sentiment bothers you the most overall?

I don't like how cultish some of you are with Nintendo. It's possible to like Nintendo without liking every single one of their IPs, or agreeing with every single business decision they make.
This not only a Nintendo thing.

Heck, you can find PC gamers that way.

Murkas

"It's just optional/more options are always good."

You can say that about everything. Not every game has to appeal to everyone at all times.

Mman235

Focusing purely on game design stuff, since otherwise bigotry is the obvious option. The idea that certain types of design are objectively better/worse than others, and that some just shouldn't exist. The fact that it's frequently based on fuzzy subjective stuff and doesn't even have a guiding philosophy behind it a lot of the time just makes it worse.

A lot of other game design related things in this thread (Turn-based vs Real-time, Fighting Games, "old games are bad") are all micro versions of this.

ryushe

"Old games have no value"

I hate how people spit on things like retro releases claiming they're worthless now.

Just because something is old, doesn't mean it's not worth any money at all anymore.
This. I dislike this thought process so much.

Oh yeah, and "I don't play Nintendo games."

Like, what?

Usobuko

Banned
The huge defense for artistic integrity only when said game don't align with their world views and politics.

It only show a strong resistance to what they think should be the default of the world.

Deja

The turn based thing bothers me too. I understand fully why people don't like it, but as you said, Dude, there are so many games that offer action combat. When I saw comments in the DQXI threads regarding the battle speculation where people say "good, it's time for change", or something to that effect, my first thought is: You don't actually like this game, because this game is designed X way and you're wanting to change a basic concept.

I wouldn't play Devil May Cry and complain that it's action based and ask for a turn based game because that is not what the game is trying to put across and for me to expect it to change is unreasonable.

i mean if you want turn-based combat, there are plenty of niche and/or indie games that provide that

but for larger-budget titles, like final fantasy, they need to move on to something that is palatable to a larger market

final fantasy has always been about change. if you want 80s game design, why don't you just stick to something like dragon quest

Fighting games need to change completely because I don't want to put any effort in, but I hate losing.
This is my big one also. I see it a lot with Monster Hunter too.

If you don't like the main systems of a game, don't play it. Leave it for the people who like it as it is and go play something else.

I could list all manner of things similar to what has already been listed here.

But nothing compares to the worst side of the gaming community. The sentiment that any minority representation (let alone a minority lead character) is clearly pandering to SJWs or some politically correct agenda because it isn't a straight white dude. The abject misogyny rampant that perpetuates a hostile environment for women in the industry. Hell, the latest we've seen is the notion that BioWare deliberately made "ugly" women to pander to SJWs whatever the hell that is supposed to mean. The frothing hatred for individuals like Anita Sarkeesian for even daring to posit a series of feminist critiques about video games as if it somehow removes their ability to brainlessly enjoy their video games. Everything about Gamergate as a whole.

compo

Banned
This not only a Nintendo thing.

Heck, you can find PC gamers that way.

True, but that falls along the console wars topic of argument. What I'm referring to is infighting within the Nintendo camp. I wouldn't even call it infighting, really. It's more like a small niche of fanboys who feel the constant need to shit on people.

Edit: Though, on second thought, I guess you're still right, since there is a lot of infighting within pc gaming about AMD vs. Nvidia, and so on.

Apathy

"Indies suck"

First off Indies isn't a genre, second indies come in ever fucking form possible from 2d pixel style to 3d realistic

And

"Only 60fps"

A game that runs at a locked 30 is fine too, even if it dips to out 28 at times. There is a limit to how low it should go just for payability sake but 30 is still great.

Rezae

Mostly things already mentioned or worded better, but the ones that immediately come to mind for me:

If a game just isn't your thing, "it sucks".

Vita has no games.

Agree completely on turn-based OP.

Mostly anything about graphics. Gameplay > graphics. More TF doesn't mean your system will rock. I'll play an 8-bit looking game any day if it has sound mechanics and is fun.

Pre-order/DLC culture. I could rant multiple paragraphs on this.

fhqwhgads

Also the idea that a dev making a game that isn't their usual output is "wasting their talent". Retro Studios got this when they were making the Donkey Kong Country games.

Deja

final fantasy has always been about change. if you want 80s game design, why don't you just stick to something like dragon quest

I disagree with your comments about moving on to be more palatable as a need, it did just fine before action based became a thing.

As for the comment I quoted, that's the plan, Stan.

"I watched an entire let's play, so I know what the fuck Im talking about. Im glad I didn't buy it."

"These games kinda sorta maybe look similar. Lets ALWAYS compare them when one is mentioned."

"This is just more of the same, which I previously liked but now I don't."

"Games suck nowadays because I only play ones that cost 20 millions dollars to make. But they're ALL the same. I miss the old days when it was more about creativity than graphics."

"This is perfect for the Switch."

I feel like I need to explain the Switch thing. EVERYTHING is perfect for the Switch because portables have no limits. They're the same as home consoles.
Portables having long as hell rpgs and adventures games while also having bite sized play-for-15-minutes-every-once-in-a-while is absolutely normal. It always has been. Switch isn't special in that regards.

Honestly I think I just hate gamers. Were worse than wrestling fans. Which is saying a lot.

Gator86

Bigotry is ok

More exclusive to the game development side, day 1 patches annoy the hell out of me on principle, just finish the damn game before you ship it

This. It's hard to quibble about game components when the people aspect is so fucked a lot of the time. This includes people on some "I just want to play games" bullshit while handwaving away the issue.

Markoman

"Sony got beaten pretty hard last gen". Only kinda true if you stick to generations. PS2 sold roughly 50m units after 360's/Wii's release. I think consoles sold per year is a far better metric than comparing gen LTDs.

shandy706

1. Traditionally turn based RPGs turning into action based RPGs absolutely SUCKS.

That's why I'm buying FFXV when it's $20 or less.

2. People that don't own and/or play and/or use all hardware acting like they can give equal input in an argument between that hardware and games.

Them: "This game has better detail and high kicks" (shows youtube video)
Me: "No it doesn't, I'm looking at both of them." (shows actual video/screenshots directly captured from game)

"I watched an entire let's play, so I know what the fuck Im talking about. Im glad I didn't buy it."

"These games kinda sorta maybe look similar. Lets ALWAYS compare them when one is mentioned."

"This is just more of the same, which I previously liked but now I don't."

Crap...this is a list thread....a very true one though, haha.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
My problem with turn-based combat on JRPGs is that there just isn't enough strategic depth to warrant it in the vast majority of JRPGs. Usually they involve only the most braindead simple decision making. If I'm going to be fighting dozens of easy battles, I'd rather have them be fast and direct instead of picking "attack" from a menu over and over and pretending like I'm doing strategy.

Anyway, one sentiment I hate is the almost impossibly high standard people have for AAA games. E.g.

Nier Automata: okay graphics, conversations are mostly text, plenty of silly writing. $60. Universally adored on GAF

Mass Effect Andromeda: graphics and production values in a completely different league than Nier. All dialog fully voiced. Some silly writing but still better than most JRPGs. $60. Endlessly nitpicked and mocked on GAF for every minute glitch people can find.

1. Gamers are "entitled" because of trash business practice x, y, or z.

2. People who throw hissy fit over reviews. If you bought the game and love it, why the hell do you care about review scores so much? Grow up.

Tigress

"Old games have no value"

I hate how people spit on things like retro releases claiming they're worthless now.

Just because something is old, doesn't mean it's not worth any money at all anymore.

On the reverse side old games were better and new games are too easy or focus too much in graphics and too little on gameplay (this is an age old complaint I have seen my generation bitch about PlayStation games and people who grew up on PlayStation complain about more recent games). Or other such arguements.

People being jaded

A truly great game SHOULD be able to draw people in, but there's only so much that they can do to connect with the player -- it's a two way street. You've gotta be willing to open up and be vulnerable, to let a game really get under your skin (in a good way)

The Dude

i mean if you want turn-based combat, there are plenty of niche and/or indie games that provide that

but for larger-budget titles, like final fantasy, they need to move on to something that is palatable to a larger market

FF always been about change in ways, but when I started in 87 I believe it was... And up until 2001 or so when X was released, that was about 13 to 14 years worth of combat that was still turn based in some form or another. See if they truly wanted my respect they'd of kept the turn based roots and just evolved it and worked it. Going to a real time combat is as basic and bandwagon as it gets.

The Dude

My problem with turn-based combat on JRPGs is that there just isn't enough strategic depth to warrant it in the vast majority of JRPGs. Usually they involve only the most braindead simple decision making. If I'm going to be fighting dozens of easy battles, I'd rather have them be fast and direct instead of picking "attack" from a menu over and over and pretending like I'm doing strategy.

Anyway, one sentiment I hate is the almost impossibly high standard people have for AAA games. E.g.

Nier Automata: okay graphics, conversations are mostly text, plenty of silly writing. $60. Universally adored on GAF

Mass Effect Andromeda: graphics and production values in a completely different league than Nier. All dialog fully voiced. Some silly writing but still better than most JRPGs. $60. Endlessly nitpicked and mocked on GAF for every minute glitch people can find.

It doesn't mean that devs cant simply make battles a bit harder. Yes in some games if you over level you can get to a point of simply selecting attack.

But on the flip side, how many other games with action combat get to the exact same point where you can just walk thru crushing everything blindfolded? Most of them get that way.

Markoman

A badly voiced and animated scene is more likely to hit cringe-town than a well-written text-box with no animations. I'll take Nier Automata's fully staged cut-scenes and textboxes over the poor man's soap-opera BS in ME any day.

Deja

I like both kinds personally, both action and turn based, I just prefer turn based because the pacing is a bit easier to get on with. Different expectations for different games, as far as I'm concerned, I guess.

Yeah, I've been playing them since I was about 6 or 7 so I definitely recognise I'm probably a bit biased, but it's nice to not have to be crazy on your toes all the time, and allow the battles to play out at whatever pace you want them too.

OT: I also dislike the notion that something has to "move with the times" (outside of turn based combat :p). Again, that kind of thinking ruined (for me, YMMV etc) a couple of series I really loved, such as Resident Evil and Halo. At least Resident Evil has made an attempt to bring back the survival horror in its' games, but the next Halo is likely to be filled with just as much bloated garbage as 343 can fit in.

Gaming is for children.
I have a salaried full time job, pension, and I was awarded so many god damn scholarships I went all the way through grad school for next to nothing. What about my life is emotionally stunted to you?

Frankly I find this viewpoint is limited to the most conservative (lower case "c" intended) millennials and people who reached adulthood during the first two or three video game generations but it still bugs me nonetheless.

13ruce

Banned
"Nintendo is doomed."

"Nintendo has to go 3rd party to survive."

"Nintendo is the next Sega."

None of these are true. Nintendo has enough money in the bank to have like 20 more Wii U level failures before any of these statements would be true.

This, with them being on mobile now i don't see them go anywhere for the next few decades atleast. Even if Switch sells like the Gamecube (i expect 40m or more sales tbh so a good succes compared to wii u), they still would have made bank with mobile. Especially with their plan of 3 mobile games a year and the next big beast Animal Crossing is coming soon.

The premium mobile games should be reduced to like 5 bucks tho but the rest is fine just release a gacha game or f2p game a year and be set.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The bullshit line of <insert game company> doesn't make anything that suits my tastes. Meanwhile they lap up everything their favored company makes regardless of genre.

True Fire

I hate how resistant gamers are to change. NieR Automata makes it explicitly clear that the game is episodic and you have to experience the credits at least 5 times to beat the game, but after that one review came out a lot of people defended him by saying "once you get the credits you're finished the game, period!" I've seen a lot of streamers stop playing after Route A as well, just because they saw credits.

Friendly reminders like "hey, there's actually 3 episodes! you've only played one!" don't even work, because people will actually argue "credits mean the game is over!" rather than open their minds to a new possibility.

I think the reason why reviewers have finally warmed up to Yoko Taro is because the industry has stagnated. We need directors who push boundaries of what it means to be a video game. Otherwise we're going to be stuck with focus panel directed games forever.

"I'll wait for a sale" bugs me when one is willing to put their money where their mouth is.

Also the "x hours per dollar" sentiment or the idea that length has anything to do with value.

"*minority* characters should only be included if they're well written"

A shitty cowardly form of bigotry used when people don't want diversity but don't want to out themselves.

There seems to be a fairly common sentiment that when minority characters in games are poorly written or represented, the developer should have handled them better or foregone their inclusion entirely if they weren't willing to put the effort in to do it right.

Most recent example, Breath of the Wild's middle eastern-style city populated entirely by women who do not allow men to enter, and all the complications/problematic implications surrounding that, including a possibly trans character. At least they weren't all thieves like in Ocarina of Time.

I believe I saw something else about a character in Mass Effect Andromeda
who is trans and immediately deadnames themselves to the player, among other issues with their representation which was causing some concern among the community.

I'm not sure to what extent these things are considered better than nothing, or if they are actively harmful to the point they would've been better off left out. Obviously it would've been best if they'd been done right in the first place.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Also the "x hours per dollar" sentiment or the idea that length has anything to do with value.

That's a fair point for a lot of people though.
My 8 year old niece can buy maybe two games a year with her allowance, so obviously she is looking for a game she can play for a long time and not one she can finish in three hours.

"A reviewer disliked this one game I love? His opinion is worthless"

I don't get this one at all. No one I've ever spoken with likes all the games I like. If it were a reoccurring divergence of opinion, I'd take the reviewers words with a grain of salt, sure. Not with one dissenting opinion, though.

Top Bottom