• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

You can tell the environment artists had such fun with that one.

Honestly, I was pleased when I thought the game was going to be a combination of forest / snow / metal structures. Then I took the road to Meridian and was blown away by the desert. THEN I saw the
jungle
areas below. I can't really believe this effing game.

EGM1966

How far into the game is the last powercell to unlcok the
secret armor
Towards the end of the main quest so pretty far from that perspective but overall will depend on if you've left most side stuff for later.

It is a bit OP so I figure the idea was to help you more easily get through final battles then allow you to go HAM in open play for the fun of it.

I can give mission if helps but yeah it's one of the later ones.

BumRush

Oh, another powercell question: there seemed to be one trapped
in the wall of the 3rd cauldron
. Was that a glitch or is there a way around?

Griss

Did nothing but side quests last night since I reckon I'm just two or three quests from the end. (I'm at the
Mountain that Fell
quest)

The Redmaw one was pretty good, even if the writing and voice acting still isn't anything special. But I liked the idea of it - the one thing this game is missing is tracking and hunting legendary creatures.

After that I decided to finally go do some of the other hunting grounds. First one I discovered was the one where you have to turn Ravagers against a Thunderjaw. So much fun. The game shines brightest in the hunting grounds since combat vs machines is the best part of the game. I got two blazing suns on my first try here and then it took me two tries for the last one, but I felt like I'd earned them.

But now that the map is open and I'm not rushing to get anywhere the sheer majesty of the world they've created here can really sink in. I'm actually dreading finally uncovering the whole map - seeing new locations is a big part of the joy of this game and when that's done I'll be close to finished with it. Started to use the photo mode a bit too - it's amazing. Shame there aren't any attractive / revealing clothes for Aloy to go with the stunning background (Carja Blazon is the best imo), but I suppose they want to protect the image of their main character. I like my fanservice though, dammit!

One little niggle I have with the game is that by the time I felt ready to face a Thunderjaw they were too easy. Just shoot the disc launcher off its back with a tearblast arrow then go to town. The Stormbird was harder than it, and the Rockbreaker is significantly harder than both, and the only machine in the game I'd consider a true threat to kill me ever time I see it. I've died about 5/6 times to Rockbreakers, but never to a Thunderjaw. I rarely have to use more than a bar of medicine against them. I was expecting the Thunderjaw to be the apex machine so that was a bit disappointing.

SPEA

Well...just got my 100% completed and Platinum trophy last night. Just a remarkable game.

I don't remember the last time i was literally sad when I finished everything.

Need more content now!

BraXzy

I'm very close to the end of the game, I'll be sad to see it go. It's been real nice just wandering around the world and taking in the sights, along with the rest of the game.

Are there any sneaky trophies for platinum? I'm guessing most of the ones I'm missing are the final story bits and collectibles I've not completed. You don't have to do every side quest do you?

Capella

I thought you could stick it in quotes or something to avoid that.

Deleted, my bad. Been looking for an excuse to use that border.

It doesn't look like quotes did anything when I looked at it.
You can still post it, just post the actual url instead and maybe spoiler tag that.

VegiHam

Okay guys so I just got to
Zero Dawn research facility
and the game is indicating I should finish side quests before going further. What happens if I don't, are they all lost forever? Or can I do them after?

JP_

Banned
Anybody else disappointed with the
UltraWeave Armor? You can see it before you get it and it looks like space marine stuff from the ancients. You put it on and it looks like a slight variation of the other armors but with a special particle effect... was hoping for something more special (like.. how it looks before you get it). You see a hologram of Elizabet when she has the armor on and it looks like the space marine stuff there too.

Does anyone know why there is that shadow "glitch-y(?)" thing that happens every now and then where when you pan the camera around, environment shadows appear and disappear all of a sudden?

My guess is it's the occlusion culling system being a bit imperfect. Game engine will try to find things the player shouldn't be able to see (either because the player is not looking in that direction or because the objects are behind other objects) and not render those objects to save render time.

Sometimes those systems aren't perfect and awkward angles or fast camera movement could mess it up.

danowat

Banned
Pretty much the only thing that makes me grind my teeth when playing the game is the scenery / foilage sometimes crowding your view when aiming and zooming in, it can be really nasty.

I checked my e-mail and finally got my code for the aloy, rost, and watcher avatars! Not at home so can't take pics, but check your e-mail if you did the quests before launch.

I checked my e-mail and finally got my code for the aloy, rost, and watcher avatars! Not at home so can't take pics, but check your e-mail if you did the quests before launch.

F0A71SIUZO4gm7OcE39dBlBgY2qFNgn0.png
hqaquWjPKv4Y3Uz0JgY23VNzs185qqgt.png
75iN2yKgohfs3xzxthbiKL8o2zmOu6nf.png

Just use the light variants of the armors. There is no super benefit for the slots in the heavy armor.

Of course there is. Mod slots are very useful.

Anybody else disappointed with the
UltraWeave Armor? You can see it before you get it and it looks like space marine stuff from the ancients. You put it on and it looks like a slight variation of the other armors but with a special particle effect... was hoping for something more special (like.. how it looks before you get it). You see a hologram of Elizabet when she has the armor on and it looks like the space marine stuff there too.

No, read the lore on the armor.

It would be dumb for Aloy to be running around in a full space marine suit.

G-Bus

Banned
Kind of wish I made an effort to get some of the collectibles as I was questing earlier on in the game.

2 main missions out from the end and 3 side quests with a map still pretty full of collectibles. Feels a bit daunting.

I'm also having a hell of a time with the viewpoints or what ever they're called. I've come across two now that I can't seem to find/activate. Looked everywhere in the yellow circle they give you. Checked around with my focus. Nadda.

Kind of wish I made an effort to get some of the collectibles as I was questing earlier on in the game.

2 main missions out from the end and 3 side quests with a map still pretty full of collectibles. Feels a bit daunting.

I'm also having a hell of a time with the viewpoints or what ever they're called. I've come across two now that I can't seem to find/activate. Looked everywhere in the yellow circle they give you. Checked around with my focus. Nadda.
Look for a supply crate in your Focus. Always one right next to the Vantage.

shiba5

Well I finally finished this last night after 3 weeks of playing.

The opening was great but then once I had got out the starting zone I had a bad feeling I had see it all before. I just couldn't get into it. However After a couple of days not playing I gave it another shot and boy am I glad I did as it suddenly clicked and I fell in love with the game. Basically, I did enough story to open up the game then went around doing all the activities that interested me (everything but collections and some side quests) then plowed on with the story once I had done all that.

Overall the games is not only beautiful but the combat is great and the story is actually really good (I dont find many game storie very good at all to be honest so this was a nice surprise). Ok the
after credits bit
would have been better left out but what ever.

Its not perfect of course. The stealth is straight up broken but fighting humans is the least fun part of the game anyway. Taking out the huge robots is great and the tools you are given allow you to use various techniques to achieve it.

Best 2017 game I have played this year....
OK its the only game from this year I have played but still its pretty damn good

I'd suggest finding the Vantage collectibles because there's a pretty cool story there - you have to go into the notebook and read the entry. It's not just a short audio snippet.

haikira

Very close to end of the game, I think. Making my way to do the quest called
The Heart of the Nora.

However, I don't think I've done everything that's required for the
All allies joined trophy
, looking at a non spoiler list. It also seems like I've missed my opportunity to do some of them, as I've went past a point of no return.

Out of curiosity, Is it a situation where i'll not get the true ending, and possibly miss out on something quite important, or is the difference in endings quite minor?

Very close to end of the game, I think. Making my way to do the quest called
The Heart of the Nora.

However, I don't think I've done everything that's required for the
All allies joined trophy
, looking at a non spoiler list. It also seems like I've missed my opportunity to do some of them, as I've went past a point of no return.

Out of curiosity, Is it a situation where i'll not get the true ending, and possibly miss out on something quite important, or is the difference in endings quite minor?

You're fine, you can still complete them and get the trophy. That wasn't the real point of no return there's another one coming and even then after you finish the main quest it'll put you back into the world prior to the last story mission where you can complete anything else you might've overlooked.

w0s

Not if you're having fun ! ;P

well the fear is that I will spend so much time doing that I won't finish the game. I am 7 hours in and pretty much
just made it outside of the trial on my way to meridian or whatever it is called. found some dude whose sister I was looking for on a bridge.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
well the fear is that I will spend so much time doing that I won't finish the game. I am 7 hours in and pretty much
just made it outside of the trial on my way to meridian or whatever it is called. found some dude whose sister I was looking for on a bridge.

Yes! Do everything you come across. It'll be worth it in the end. Trust me. You'll need the connections, especially with the character Revelations that come later in the story.

I personally didn't know the game didn't have a hard difficulty trophy so I punished myself on the hardest mode, which forced me to get really good with weapons I thought were useless.

Nearly everything in the game is really rewarding.

So, yes, I encourage you to take your time and explore.

Don't rush.

w0s

Yes! Do everything you come across. It'll be worth it in the end. Trust me. You'll need the connections, especially with the character Revelations that come later in the story.

I personally didn't know the game didn't have a hard difficulty trophy so I punished myself on the hardest mode, which forced me to get really good with weapons I thought were useless.

Nearly everything in the game is really rewarding.

So, yes, I encourage you to take your time and explore.

Don't rush.

Will do! It is so weird coming off Zelda and not being able to climb much! Still loving it obviously.

JP_

Banned
No, read the lore on the armor.

It would be dumb for Aloy to be running around in a full space marine suit.
I'm away from ps4, can you summarize?
The data points I read about it didn't mention the change.

Why would it be dumb? It fits entirely with the game and if Elizabet can wear it like that, no reason Aloy can't. Ancient technology should contrast with her normal modern styles.. that's the point -- it comes from a different time.

Szadek

Shit, I'm stuck under a dead Thunderjaw.
I would be mad if it wasn't so funny.

This is what happens when a huge robo dinosaur falls on your head!

Question for those who have finished the game:

On two separate occasions, I have discovered areas that put an icon like the Bunker where the Shield-Weave armor is on my map, but I haven't been able to find a way in. Last night, I was in the far north of the map, and a cutscene triggered and I had to fight a Stormbird, and then I crawled up a wall in a clearly staged area into what appears to be a dead end. The other area is in the far northeastern portion of the map, and Aloy mad some sort of remark about not being able to get in there. Is there a way to get into these locations or am I missing something?

I have yet to go to Meridian yet. I've just been exploring as much of the map as I can for the last 20 hours or so.

MaKTaiL

Question for those who have finished the game:

On two separate occasions, I have discovered areas that put an icon like the Bunker where the Shield-Weave armor is on my map, but I haven't been able to find a way in. Last night, I was in the far north of the map, and a cutscene triggered and I had to fight a Stormbird, and then I crawled up a wall in a clearly staged area into what appears to be a dead end. The other area is in the far northeastern portion of the map, and Aloy mad some sort of remark about not being able to get in there. Is there a way to get into these locations or am I missing something?

I have yet to go to Meridian yet. I've just been exploring as much of the map as I can for the last 20 hours or so.
Those are story mission locations. Just keep playing.

Szadek

Fast travel.
It was during a quest and couldn't fast travel (at least not nearby) so I reloaded the save since I already reached the next checkpoint.

Anyway, finishing all the side quests first was a good idea since now I can focus on the main quest without taking breaks.
The Story (the plot as well as the backstory) are fantastic.Before playing I assumed that the story would be pretty bad and that gameplay would have to carry the game.
I'm glad that I was wrong about that.

Scrawnton

So, I beat the game and the story was fantastic, but I really wanted to ask you guys about a tech issue I am having with this game. Has there been a reported issue with the auto brightness or lighting fluctuation in this game?

I loved the game and thought it was jaw dropping, but I could not stand how every time I panned the camera arts of the screen that were bright at one point would dim at a different angle. I am someone who is pretty light sensitive and this really messed with me. When the game clock was at night this effect was amplified greatly for me. I would look at a rock from ten feet away and it was nice and bright because of the moonlight, but when I walked up next to it its lighting dimmed out and the object became dull. When standing still at night, panning the camera causes brightness to fluctuate to a point where it was distracting me from enjoying those segments of the game.

Was this an issue other people on this forum discussed? I google searched it and found some other people online that experienced this. Is this just a game feature that I am super sensitive to?

Szadek

Thanks!

Will I have to fight that Stormbird again? He was a mother fucker haha.
If you killed him, he should stay dead.

I think it's possible that you don't have to kill him at all, since you can just ran past him.
Maybe that doesn't work when you have the quest, but it certianly does when not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom