• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris coming to Americas and Europe

japtor

I'm having a blast playing it with my gf... But since the demo lets me play VS in tetris mode, puyo puyo mode and random mode I don't really know why I should buy the full version tbh...

Is there an amazing mode in the full version or something I should be aware of to buy it?
I assume the full version doesn't reset to the unskippable splash screens and title screen after every match.

And as mentioned online and solo play if you want to do something other than local or CPU vs all the time.

S2

I'm having a blast playing it with my gf... But since the demo lets me play VS in tetris mode, puyo puyo mode and random mode I don't really know why I should buy the full version tbh...

Is there an amazing mode in the full version or something I should be aware of to buy it?

Meta reasons to get the full version:
  • This game needs to sell well if we want more Puyo games to get localized.
  • Do you want the Tetris license to go back to Ubisoft for the next Tetris game? D:

Gameplay reasons to get the full version:
  • Online play - You can do ranked matches or play with your friends. I tried playing Puyo Puyo Tetris online with my switch tethered to my phone and the latency wasn't bad at all. You'll have solid netplay wherever you go.
  • Multi-switch play - The demo only lets you do multiplayer on one screen; on the full version, you can do multiplayer with multiple Switches. Useful if each person wants to play with their own Puyo skins in case of colorblindness or something (I haven't tried local play myself yet but I'm 99% sure you can do this).
  • Single Player practice modes - Marathon, Ultra, Sprint, Endless Fever, Endless Puyo Puyo, Endless Tiny Puyo
  • Fusion mode, Party mode, and Big Bang - these are all really fun and great for parties. You haven't experienced Puyo Puyo Tetris until you've suffered through the craziness of Fusion mode.
  • Different control schemes in Single player - I think the demo lets you choose a control scheme in multiplayer but not in single player.
  • Replay saving and sharing - You can save replays of your matches and share them online.
  • Matchmaking QOL options - You know how the demo kicks you back to the title screen after every match? In the full version, all you have to do is hit "Continue" if you want a rematch. The full game will also count how many sets each player wins.
  • Additional AI difficulty options - If you hold L when selecting a character, you can max out the AI difficulty (the CPU will start doing 6 to 10 chains against you). You can't do this in the demo.
  • Story mode - very challenging if you want to get 3 stars on every stage for 130% completion.
  • Option to turn off HD rumble
  • Ingame tutorials for Puyo Puyo, Tetris, and Fusion Mode.

Aesthetic reasons to get the full version:

I think I forgot some stuff... anyways, you are getting more than your money's worth if you buy the full version of Puyo Puyo Tetris. $30 is a steal. To put things into perspective, the original PS3 version was $60 with 30% of the current content cut out and sold as DLC lol

Dinjoralo

[*]Lots of extra unlockable backgrounds

Is this monkey supposed to be a reference to something?

And TBH I think this is going to sell pretty good. It's right in the middle of the post-launch drought where people are scrounging for new stuff to play on the switch, before the third quarter when a lot of the heavy hitters are going to be out.

S2

Is this monkey supposed to be a reference to something?

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/segaages/segaages8-old.htm

It's a mascot SEGA added to the game in the New Century version of SEGA Tetris
PMpONep.jpg

Any chance we're getting a EU/US demo anytime soon? I'm not willing to set a jp account up.

Now's the time. You'll need it again somewhere down the line. All you need from what I can tell is an email address you haven't used. You don't need a fake address or name or anything like that. I just used all my real details and used a secondary email address.

Me before reading Puyo Nexus wiki : I'm too smart for this game.

Me after reading Puyo Nexus wiki : I'm too dumb for this game.

I'm tempted to get it nonetheless, the Switch is pretty cool for this kind of games. The fact that Tetris is included eases the deal.

Link_enfant

Sure, but I'm not a big enough fan of Puyo Puyo to trade a demo for my clean newsfeed :p

Is there any way to remove the foreign news, by removing the corresponding users on the console maybe? Just curious, as having US and JP news in my feed isn't much of a problem to me.

antibolo

Banned

I'm tempted to get it nonetheless, the Switch is pretty cool for this kind of games. The fact that Tetris is included eases the deal.

Even if you ignore all of the Puyo Puyo side of this game you are still left with a world-class Tetris game.

Is there any way to remove the foreign news, by removing the corresponding users on the console maybe? Just curious, as having US and JP news in my feed isn't much of a problem to me.

I wonder if anyone has tried changing the region of the Japan account to an English speaking one.

Poppyseed

I need this game now. I've about worn out the demo I've been playing this so long.

The nostalgia is real. Probably played Dr Robotnick's Mean Bean Machine for about a billion hours on my Sega Mega Drive.

Fireblend

Banned

As someone who's been practicing lately having never played a Puyo game before, how to play well is easy to understand after you sit down and read through the wiki, it's just difficult to master because the difficulty comes from placing your puyos as efficiently and quickly as possible and that involves a ton of practice; enough to learn to recognize patterns and handle sudden changes as you'll have to cut your plans short in response to unexpected attacks, manage chains even if you know you have trash coming your way, know how to place shitty-colored puyos in a non-wasteful way, etc., but the theory behind it is easy.

I can only do simple stair patterns and that's like 60% of the time when I get the right colored puyo and don't screw myself with shitty placement, but I'm addicted :)

I really wish this game was coming out early april :(

I need this game now. I've about worn out the demo I've been playing this so long.

The nostalgia is real. Probably played Dr Robotnick's Mean Bean Machine for about a billion hours on my Sega Mega Drive.

I hear you there. My wife loves it as do I. I had never played puyo puyo before. She beats my ass too, but I've got the edge in Tetris. I used to eat and sleep that one back on gameboy.

I'm excellent at tetris but horrible at puyo puyo. I'm not sure if this game is for me.

Stick with it. It's really an awesome game once you get the hang of it. I'm a lot better at Tetris too.

Btw, there are leaderboards right?

MrPanic

Why not? It's the easiest way to make a JP account on the Switch than any other console.

Now's the time. You'll need it again somewhere down the line. All you need from what I can tell is an email address you haven't used. You don't need a fake address or name or anything like that. I just used all my real details and used a secondary email address.

I worded it specifically that way to not get these responses. I just want to know if I can expect a demo on my eshop anytime soon. I'm not interested in anything region free related.

Dinjoralo

I've stopped playing Tetris to let you know that there's one other thing you should probably add to that list, S2; settings for Delayed Auto Shift, I.E. how fast the game moves the piece in a direction when you hold a button, and how long you have to hold at that.

Granted, I don't know if that's actually in the game, but those incompetent jerkoffs at SoMaPlay put it in Tetris Ultimate, so I'd imagine it's some requirement in the Tetris Company's guideline. Also on opening Tetris Ultimate to check I remembered the games absurd key rebinding. You have to scroll through a list of every key on the keyboard to change your bindings. I am not making this shit up, they couldn't even get that right.

I worded it specifically that way to not get these responses. I just want to know if I can expect a demo on my eshop anytime soon. I'm not interested in anything region free related.

Well if that's the case I guess you're going to have to wait, because the JP version came with a demo on release, so I'm guessing we'll get one when the game releases for EU on April 28

S2

I can only do simple stair patterns and that's like 60% of the time when I get the right colored puyo and don't screw myself with shitty placement, but I'm addicted :)
Are you doing the Transition yet?

I'm excellent at tetris but horrible at puyo puyo. I'm not sure if this game is for me.
It's actually slightly more important to know how to play Tetris rather than Puyo to beat the Story mode. If you play slower than the computer in Tetris, you'll be playing forever; whereas in Puyo matches, you can rely on the Margin Time mechanic to boost your damage if you stall things out long enough.

tl;dr you'll be fine. Especially since there's a lesson mode that will show you enough of the basics to make you a decent chainer.

I hear you there. My wife loves it as do I. I had never played puyo puyo before. She beats my ass too, but I've got the edge in Tetris. I used to eat and sleep that one back on gameboy.
Hopefully not just the gameboy? If you can't do T-Spins, combos, and perfect clears, you will get destroyed mercilessly on ranked lol :( it's a battlefield.

Btw, there are leaderboards right?
There's leaderboards for the Worldwide Puzzle League (ranked PVP). There aren't leaderboards for stuff like Sprint times or Marathon high scores though...

I've stopped playing Tetris to let you know that there's one other thing you should probably add to that list, S2; settings for Delayed Auto Shift, I.E. how fast the game moves the piece in a direction when you hold a button, and how long you have to hold at that.
You can't change the DAS settings in Puyo Puyo Tetris. You can't change the Auto Repeat Rate (ARR) for that matter either. There are some Tetris players who didn't like this, but the default speed settings are already kind of fast so I think people just adapted.

Puyo Puyo Tetris doesn't have IRS (Initial Rotation System) or IHS (Initial Hold System) either if anyone else is wondering about the technical details.

Dinjoralo

You can't change the DAS settings in Puyo Puyo Tetris. You can't change the Auto Repeat Rate (ARR) for that matter either. There are some Tetris players who didn't like this, but the default speed settings are already kind of fast so I think people just adapted.

Puyo Puyo Tetris doesn't have IRS (Initial Rotation System) or IHS (Initial Hold System) either if anyone else is wondering about the technical details.

Ah, dang. It's at a good setting, I just thought it'd be another thing to have in the list of stuff to buy the game for. :p And I ain't expecting IRS or IHS to be in this, those are Grand Master mechanics, and the Tetris Company is so obsessed with it's guidelines that it basically pretends those games don't exist.

Also, I'm interested in that Puyo tutorial now... I'm also interested in getting Mean Bean Machine out and practicing different chain setups on that.

Fireblend

Banned
Are you doing the Transition yet?
Working on it! I've been trying to perfect the pattern before moving on but I'll probably get on that soon. Working on a pattern before finishing the first one and trying to make every puyo useful instead of just the ones I need for the stairs and shoving everything else anywhere feels like some 5D chess shit though :p

iphys

I bought the Japanese version, and the replays are really cool, but I swear they always go to half speed 4 minutes in to one of my marathon replays.

So I was playing with the pro controllers Dpad today and I can't play Tetris quickly because I keep hard dropping pieces when I don't mean to :( I never had this problem on any other version of tetris ever and I've played all the Wii and DS versions. Anyone else have this problem?

iphys

So I was playing with the pro controllers Dpad today and I can't play Tetris quickly because I keep hard dropping pieces when I don't mean to :( I never had this problem on any other version of tetris ever and I've played all the Wii and DS versions. Anyone else have this problem?

Yes. There are threads about faulty D-pads on the Pro controller all over the Internet. Go to system settings and you can test the button inputs on your D-pad to be sure. Mine won't register diagonals 3/4 of the time when I try to input them and will just register the up/down component. Meanwhile, sometimes it will register diagonals when I'm only pressing one direction, and sometimes even just the bogus direction 90 degrees off from what I'm actually pressing and not the direction I'm pressing at all. It seems to get worse the more I tap it like for games like Puyo Puyo Tetris. I've been waiting for my store to restock so I can exchange mine since day 1.

tsundoku

Do we know if they're taking extra time for the english version because they're going to redub it / rip out all the metagame level annoying kids anime voices.

My favourite character right now in the demo is the blue haired .. boy? girl? who's always mumbling out these obnoxious "e-ettou" that bugs the hell out of my friends.

Is the game going to have online play cross region? I'd rather just have the full version now if it's going to work with my friends english copies they're waiting for, and I can continue practicing to beast on them launch week.

Marow

Will no doubt be getting this. To those who've played previous versions, would you say there is a lot of goodies to unlock? I always enjoy replaying these kinds of games with all characters, so it'd be fun if that gave something.

I have a left joycon that has never exhibited any connection issues, I can put it behind my back, go halfway across the house, works fine. When I play puyo puyo using that joycon, sometimes it starts to feel laggy or like they're is a delay. It's random and happens once every few games, but has anyone else had that problem with the demo or game?

Trying to decide on whether or not I should call ninty.

random25

I just played the demo...Holy shit it's addicting as ever lol. Still thinking if digital or go for retail since it's not that big and it's a fun distraction to always have installed on the go.

This has probably been answered earlier in this thread, but in the full game is there a way to just play single player Tetris? I know you can do that in two player so I assume there is but I wanted to check to be sure.

I just played the demo...Holy shit it's addicting as ever lol. Still thinking if digital or go for retail since it's not that big and it's a fun distraction to always have installed on the go.

It depends on how often you plan on buying games on the eshop but personally I think the Switch is the perfect eshop machine and has and will have so many good downloadable games that you should go physical when you can to save space.

Top Bottom