• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass Graphics Comparison (Unreal Engine 4): PS4 vs Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irminsul

It doesn't look demanding yet the switch looks low res and 30. Not too happy about this.
Well, apparently it is. Otherwise the PS4 version would probably be 60fps and it wouldn't be so hard to get that on PC with max settings.

LgbVfOe.jpg

mtOWmFM.jpg

fvDWLww.jpg

Took some pictures from the second stage! They're from my capture card which only outputs 720p but the game still looks stunning to me, can't wait to see what Shin Megami Tensei looks like on Switch, it'll be a huge jump from 3DS for sure.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
People dismissing this forget how far handheld gaming has come. Remember GameBoy compared to SNES/N64, GBA to GCN, 3DS to Wii U. It's rather impressive that the Switch can hold its own against much stronger home consoles.

7SRosQS.jpg

LgbVfOe.jpg

mtOWmFM.jpg

fvDWLww.jpg

Took some pictures from the second stage! They're from my capture card which only outputs 720p but the game still looks stunning to me, can't wait to see what Shin Megami Tensei looks like on Switch, it'll be a huge jump from 3DS for sure.

Isnt SMT unreal 4 coming to other platforms as well though?
People dismissing this forget how far handheld gaming has come. Remember GameBoy compared to SNES/N64, GBA to GCN, 3DS to Wii U. It's rather impressive that the Switch can hold its own against much stronger home consoles.

Tbf low budget games indie games could always look the same on handhelds barring the iq. Theyre not exactly the best measure of holding its own

BiggNife

The Switch port definitely isn't perfect but for a port of a PS4/XBO game that was done in three months it's pretty good, I'd say. Makes me optimistic for more UE4 indie games on Switch, since most devs will have more than three months to work with Switch devkits.

The lowered resolution in portable mode is definitely noticeable, though. It doesn't really affect gameplay, but there's a blurriness there that I definitely didn't notice in Splatoon 2, Fast RMX, etc.

terrier

we have seen really nice looking games on mobile, and previously on Vita too. Switch is a new step forward, especially if developers take their time with it but that remains to be seen for 3rd parties.
Also there are a number of indies that play and look really great compared to ps3/4 versions despite being obviously lower res and less detail. Some people act as if mobile gaming and Vita do not exist.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Man, I really want more 3D platformers. I miss that genre.

Looks very similar. Bet most people couldn't tell from a screenshot whether it's PS4 or Switch.

Just took a handheld screen grab. Looks really good on the tablet though there's a noticeable drop in IQ.

Unfortunately switch screenshot jpgs have quite bad compression

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
If their optimization is bad doesn't mean the game is demanding right?
Switch version could probably be better optimized too. I guess you're equally sad about PS4 performance, considering the performance gap between systems. Managed expectations make Switch's version impressive, there will always be a big gap with the PS4, and it's not too apparent in this game.

Only Switch at the moment, it's very possible though.

So far it was only announced for the switch.

I remember the official announcement tweet not specifying any platforms and just said 'hd title', while the same tweet did specify 3ds for the other smt project.
In any case, im happy switch supports ue4 with decent enough quality. If not anything else this should promote more multiplat mid budget jrpgs.
That said i highly doubt big budget stuff like ff will show up on switch unless its a HUGE success. Supporting ue4 is one thing but it just doesnt look like console that can ever run ffxv,. Let alone 7 which will most likely look better than xv in the end barring maybe the lighting

Irminsul

If their optimization is bad doesn't mean the game is demanding right?
I would argue "demanding" is simply a measure of ressources needed, without taking into account how a game looks. A game can look good and be demanding or look bad but still be demanding. Or a mixture of both, really.

I'd argue that, for example, Forza Horizon 3 in its initial state looked really, really good and is certainly demanding, but its optimization is still shit because you simply couldn't get it to run at 60 fps even on the most beastly PCs.

Looks very similar. Bet most people couldn't tell from a screenshot whether it's PS4 or Switch.

Unfortunately switch screenshot jpgs have quite bad compression

Yeah, it doesn't look that blurry in person. Here's a little docked vs undocked comparison although the docked was taken from a capture card rather than Switch's capture feature.

Docked on top, handheld on botton:

For a game ported to the Switch in a week, and released like 2 months after porting this is quite impressive. I honestly don't see a huge difference in the video, but then again I have a terrible eye for this thing. PS4 version is most definitely not 60fps though.

Didn't the devs said it was 1080p docked?

I thought they had said that too.

tkscz

Didnt they say the game would be 1080p on the Switch while running at 30fps? Did they need to change that?

There's a weird glitch in the Switch that Nintendo has yet to fix. Games developed in 1080p seem to fluctuate between 1080p and 900p due to power being taken away from the GPU. It's happening with FAST: RMX as well (Shinen were the ones to notice it). Not sure when Nintendo will fix it though.

There's a weird glitch in the Switch that Nintendo has yet to fix. Games developed in 1080p seem to fluctuate between 1080p and 900p due to power being taken away from the GPU. It's happening with FAST: RMX as well (Shinen were the ones to notice it). Not sure when Nintendo will fix it though.

I wonder how much this is actually affecting things. You'd think this would be a top priority for Nintendo to be fixing, as it could be causing developers to have to do some extra work to compensate for that glitch. Could be why the Switch version release was delayed a few hours? They had to do some last minute fix to compensate?

mejin

I would argue "demanding" is simply a measure of ressources needed, without taking into account how a game looks. A game can look good and be demanding or look bad but still be demanding. Or a mixture of both, really.

I'd argue that, for example, Forza Horizon 3 in its initial state looked really, really good and is certainly demanding, but its optimization is still shit because you simply couldn't get it to run at 60 fps even on the most beastly PCs.

Although this is just the beginning for Switch, PS4 has now a really solid lineup of quality game. No one will buy the idea Snake Pass is a demanding game for PS4.

The Switch has quickly become the default couples console at our place.
We could have bought the game on Xbox One but why bother? The Switch has sucked my non-gaming partner and friends in like the Wii did.
First Zelda and now Snake Pass. She's humming a David Wise tune in the shower right now.

The sacrifices made to the Switch version are minor for me and non-existent to most.
Like so many have already said, there's something special to say about the fact we can play these pretty good looking games on tv and then take it on the go.

Oh and the game is really fun too.

Otnopolit

True, but then the same thing would apply to the Switch version, unless there is evidence that one has been optimise more than the other.

I think we can conclude this is rather unlikely, considering Snake Pass is ported to it, and rather recently. It appears to me that the game could be optimized in future patches, should they choose to put the effort in that.

Behlel

Look at vita vs 3DS and psp vs DS. It's Nintendo's fault for such a difference between home and portable not a tech problem.

Poor optimization? A small dev team using UE4? Acting like this game is some technical marvel is ludicrous.

there's a reason why some devs are considered better than others technically. Some games look fantastic and perform well, others look worse and perform worse too. How would you explain that?

No one is saying it's a technical marvel, just that people saying "it's not a demanding game on PS4 so it's no wonder it looks decent on Switch" are ignoring that it is pushing the limit of the PS4, even if that's due to poor optimization. Which would mean it's equally (or likely more) unoptimized on the Switch, so it would theoretically be the same comparison if it was far more demanding.

RRockman

Banned
Um, last I checked A game being demanding doesn't mean just graphics. I'd imagine Noodles phsyics on top of everything else would make for a challenging game to run.

Irminsul

Poor optimization? A small dev team using UE4? Acting like this game is some technical marvel is ludicrous.

there's a reason why some devs are considered better than others technically. Some games look fantastic and perform well, others look worse and perform worse too. How would you explain that?
I don't quite get it. I'm no English native speaker, but "demanding" to me has nothing to do how well a game uses a system's resources. That would be "well optimized", and if it looks really good, it probably still is "demanding" as well. But that latter term just means that it uses system resources quite a bit.

And every "Well it's just not optimized!" argument can be applied to the Switch version as well.

Higher. I have a Wii U and i know how 720p games looks. Definitely not 720p... Maybe 900p or 1080p dynamic. Waiting for DF verdict.

Docked? Docked is definitely higher than 720. Don't think it's a solid 1080 if even that though. I'd really like to see a patch to get undocked up to a solid 720. Got that damn Vaseline look and I really don't care for it undocked. I just hate blurriness like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom